HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

5 Goals = 1 Point In The Standings

Closed Thread

Old
11-25-2003, 08:22 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

vCash: 500
OK, this is the stupidest idea I have heard. Here is a novel approach. How about we live the game the way it is? Sooner or later a coach will develop an offensive system that will render the trap obsolete.

Old
11-25-2003, 08:25 PM
NJ_Devil_Boy

...so if you let in 5 goals, the penalty is you lose 1 point in the standings?

Old
11-25-2003, 08:28 PM
Mack

Send a message via MSN to Mack
Why dont we just ban Burns and Lemaire from entering NHL arenas?

Old
11-25-2003, 08:39 PM
ZadorovNJD*
go away fatso

I've got an idea. Make it 3 on 3, without a goalie, BUT - the net has to be turned around and all goals have be scored off the boards! Goals galore!

Old
11-25-2003, 08:48 PM
Jacob

I don't hate the idea. It's better than Bowman's plan, that's for sure.

Old
11-25-2003, 08:49 PM
Laperriere22*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Dirty Chinaman
it will eliminate teams from depending on winning 1-2 / 1-0 night after night, and would put the onus on offensive play, jumping in on the rush, and generally making the game faster and more exciting.
To hell with that. I don't know about anyone else, but all I look for in a hockey game is intensity. If there's intensity, there will be hitting. If there's intensity, there's generally going to be players making clutch plays in close games. Offense isn't something I require to make the game more exciting and I certainly don't want some system that places any real importance on mentally challenged defensemen like Skoula, Khavanov, Poti, or Sopel. Blues/Sharks a couple of weeks ago, the Blues/Bruins tonight, and both Blues/Canucks tilts this season are what hockey is all about. The only change I would make to the game is to try and remove some of the players that like to float during the regular season. Those players don't bring intensity to regular season games and when guys don't play hard, games are boring. Play hard and the game is fine. Play like your contract is a substitute for playing hard and the game sucks. It's just as simple as that for me.

Old
11-25-2003, 09:08 PM
tom_servo

Quote:
Originally Posted by aylib
Did i misunderstand the concept?
If NJ would be leading the league in goals, wouldn't that make their goals per game # higher than that of other teams, thus benefitting them?
No, it appears to be my mistake. Sorry.

Old
11-26-2003, 03:11 AM
MojoJojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalia
Not that I disagree with your opinion but can we possibly elaborate on your one word primitive answer.
Werent you that guy who posted the list of players that included Yashin and Satan as more talented than Gretzky?

Sometimes one word is all thats needed.

Old
11-26-2003, 04:18 AM
HABracadabra

what if the standing would be like this:

2 points for a win
1 point for a tie
every goal you scored is add to your point total

last year standing in the east was:
OTT 113
NJ 108
TB 93
Phi 107
tor 98
was 92
bos 87
Isl 83
Ran 78
Mtl 77
Atl 74

Add the goals and your new standing is

Ott 377
NJ 324
Was 316
Tor 334
Bos 332
Phi 318
TB 316
Isl 307
Atl 300
Ran 288
Mtl 283

Basically it would give a chance for the team 4 to 12 to maybe make the playoff and have a better placement in the standing.

I don't know, it might work

Old
11-26-2003, 05:44 AM
Kenadyan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Dirty Chinaman
The point is not about the freaking Devil's, the point is making the league more exciting.

I don't know about you, but I miss the 80's and early 90's with end-to-end action and lots of goals.
I don't like this idea at all (adding points to a teams total for the number of goals scored).

Besides, the reason that the game is not the same as it was in the 80's and 90's has more to do than just "the trap". They include the following:

1. The size of the goaltenders pads. Look at some footage of what Grant Fuhr wore in 1982 (21 years ago) vs. what JSG and Marty wore in the Finals last season.

2. Athletes are much better conditioned today than they were in the 80's and early 90's. That means players just can't get by on skill alone anymore. By being better conditioned, teams that play defensive (meaning trap style) hockey can recover better from a defensive zone mistake than they did in the 80's, hence the reduction of a scoring chance even when a defensive breakdown takes place.

3. The NHL is watered down with 30 NHL teams (vs. 21 in the 80's through '91 --> when the Sharks became the first expansion team). That means the skilled players are spread out among more teams. Look at how Glen Sather acquired players with speed and skill from 1978-1985 to make the Oilers the team that they were (Gretzky, Messier, Anderson, Lowe, Fuhr, Coffey, Kurri, Tikkanen, Steve Smith, Moog, McSorley, etc.). Name me one team with that much talent all in their early to mid-20's today. It was almost unfair.

Here are three things that the NHL could do that wouldn't "radically" change the game while increasing the "excitement" factor:

1. Removal of the red-line - in other words, allow the two line pass across center ice. It works in the college game.

2. Reinstitute the "tag-up" or "touch-up" onsides. The NHL took this rule out in 1998 thinking it would make the defensemen "more creative" with the puck (as they now couldn't just shoot it back into the offensive zone - at which point all the offensive players much then come back out past the blueline and "touch-up" and then chase the puck or puck carrier back into the zone on the forecheck). Now the refs just blow the whistle dead or give the defensive team a free opportunity to move the puck out of the zone. Unfortunately, all it has done is made teams go into a more trapping style as they now can't forecheck like they used to so they just hang back.

3. Okay this one may be considered "radical" by some. Reduce the number of teams in the league. A 24 team league would do much better than the current 30 team league. And don't ask me which teams should be contracted (although I don't believe it should be any of the Canadian teams). The talent in the NHL is spread way to thin at this point. Hence the reason that many teams go to the trap.

Old
11-26-2003, 05:51 AM
Thalia

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoJojo
Werent you that guy who posted the list of players that included Yashin and Satan as more talented than Gretzky?

Umm, no that would be impossible... I'm not a guy AND I have never commented on Gretzky; never even watched him play.

Old
11-26-2003, 05:59 AM
sonnytheman

Aren't there some sports where if you win by a certain number of points, you get an extra point in the standings? That could be good...

Or, I think in rugby, you get a point if you score something like 5 tries in a game (I may be wrong), but doing something like that, you get a point if you score 6 goals in a game, etc...

Old
11-26-2003, 06:17 AM
tom_servo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoJojo

No, that was monster-bertuzzi. They have the same avatars.

Old
11-26-2003, 06:26 AM
Thalia

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_servo
No, that was monster-bertuzzi. They have the same avatars.
You're right... he's a thief!

http://hfboards.com/member.php?userid=10411

Then again I did steal the pic myself from another site.... maybe it was his.

Old
11-26-2003, 06:33 AM
txpd

so...your losing 7-4 and you pull your goalie to get that 5th goal because its worth as much as a tie. good. geez, who thinks this stuff up?........is that you gary??

Old
11-26-2003, 06:56 AM
nucks2001

vCash:
Other sports have this. Soccers A-League (Seattle Sounders, Vancouver Whitecaps and so on) offer another point if you score 3 goals.

Old
11-26-2003, 07:00 AM
tom_servo

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd
so...your losing 7-4 and you pull your goalie to get that 5th goal because its worth as much as a tie. good. geez, who thinks this stuff up?........is that you gary??
Since every five goals scored during the season would equal a point, teams would pull their goalie near the end of every game to pad their goal total. It would be kind of silly.

Old
11-26-2003, 07:02 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenadyan
I don't like this idea at all (adding points to a teams total for the number of goals scored).

Besides, the reason that the game is not the same as it was in the 80's and 90's has more to do than just "the trap". They include the following:

1. The size of the goaltenders pads.

3. The NHL is watered down with 30 NHL teams (vs. 21 in the 80's through '91 --> when the Sharks became the first expansion team). That means the skilled players are spread out among more teams. Look at how Glen Sather acquired players with speed and skill from 1978-1985 to make the Oilers the team that they were (Gretzky, Messier, Anderson, Lowe, Fuhr, Coffey, Kurri, Tikkanen, Steve Smith, Moog, McSorley, etc.). Name me one team with that much talent all in their early to mid-20's today. It was almost unfair.

Here are three things that the NHL could do that wouldn't "radically" change the game while increasing the "excitement" factor:

1. Removal of the red-line - in other words, allow the two line pass across center ice. It works in the college game.

3. Okay this one may be considered "radical" by some. Reduce the number of teams in the league. A 24 team league would do much better than the current 30 team league. And don't ask me which teams should be contracted (although I don't believe it should be any of the Canadian teams). The talent in the NHL is spread way to thin at this point. Hence the reason that many teams go to the trap.
1. Changing the size of goalie pads can help. Particularly chest pads have gotten out of hand. You, however, can't restrict the size or style of goaltenders. Go back and watch those 1980's stand up style goalies.
Geez, no wonder they didn't stop anything. 5'8" goalies are extinct. There are agile and ridiculously flexible goalies that are 6-3 and taller now. Those goalies playing the butterfly well just take away the net.

2. Take away the two line offsides pass, but leave the red line on the ice. Allowing teams to dump the puck into the offensive zone after only
getting clear of their own blue line would kill any good allowing 2 line passes would create. The last 5 minutes of a game with a 1 goal lead would look like a penalty kill.

3. The reason that many teams go to the trap or something similarly defense first is because they can not afford enough talent to compete. NOT because its not available. You can check the rosters of 4 or 5 NHL teams and you will find the because they have a serious financial advantage they also are completely top heavy with talent. The trap is designed for a less talented team to take away the advantage of the more talented team. It not there because there is not enough talent. if the talent or lack there of were distributed somewhat more equally, there would have been no need for the trap.

Old
11-26-2003, 08:34 AM
Kenadyan

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd
Allowing teams to dump the puck into the offensive zone after only
getting clear of their own blue line would kill any good allowing 2 line passes would create. The last 5 minutes of a game with a 1 goal lead would look like a penalty kill.
Except for the fact that you just described "icing". I'm not saying that icing should be allowed. Just the two line pass (across center ice). I don't see how the last five minutes of a game where a team is protecting a one-goal lead would be like a penalty kill (where icing is allowed by the shorthanded team). I don't think it would be any different than it is now.

And I don't buy the statement that players will somehow "master" the art of shooting the puck down the ice from their side of center without having it touch the icing line. Not when they are being pressured by an opponent. It doesn't happen in the college game which (having witnessed many college and NHL games in person), I would have to say is a better/more exciting brand of hockey at this point than the NHL (not that this can't change in the future with a few timely rule changes by the NHL). You see more 4-3 and 5-4 scores in the college game than you do the NHL. And after all, isn't that what this thread was about in the first place --> a way to increase scoring in the NHL?

Old
11-26-2003, 09:10 AM
Ol' Dirty Chinaman*

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_servo
Since every five goals scored during the season would equal a point, teams would pull their goalie near the end of every game to pad their goal total. It would be kind of silly.
I don't see anything wrong with that. It puts a lot more excitement in the game, its fun watching a team sit on a lead icing it all the time isn't it ?

Old
11-26-2003, 09:17 AM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 309
I like it but instead of make it 5 Goals = 1 Point In The Standings

make it : 5 goals in 1 game = 1 Point In The Standings

Old
11-26-2003, 09:42 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenadyan
Except for the fact that you just described "icing". I'm not saying that icing should be allowed. Just the two line pass (across center ice). I don't see how the last five minutes of a game where a team is protecting a one-goal lead would be like a penalty kill (where icing is allowed by the shorthanded team). I don't think it would be any different than it is now.

And I don't buy the statement that players will somehow "master" the art of shooting the puck down the ice from their side of center without having it touch the icing line. Not when they are being pressured by an opponent. It doesn't happen in the college game which (having witnessed many college and NHL games in person), I would have to say is a better/more exciting brand of hockey at this point than the NHL (not that this can't change in the future with a few timely rule changes by the NHL). You see more 4-3 and 5-4 scores in the college game than you do the NHL. And after all, isn't that what this thread was about in the first place --> a way to increase scoring in the NHL?
You are correct, sir. I described "icing". if the red line were removed, what would the icing rule be? hmm? that is why i suggested that legalizing the two line pass would be good, but that the red line should stay for the icing rule.

Old
11-26-2003, 10:19 AM
Unthinkable

vCash:
Where is that picture of the bunny rabbit with the pancake on its head when you need it? Blackjack, we need your assistance on this one.

Old
11-26-2003, 10:28 AM
Trottier
Very Random

What you are describing is pond hockey or street hockey.

Not professional hockey.

The effort is commendable, the idea patently absurd.

Old
11-26-2003, 11:53 AM
Thalia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unthinkable
Where is that picture of the bunny rabbit with the pancake on its head when you need it? Blackjack, we need your assistance on this one.
Here I am:

Closed Thread