HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Garth speaks to (former) Season Ticket Holders

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-08-2012, 10:52 AM
  #26
StrongIslanders90
Registered User
 
StrongIslanders90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: StrongIsland
Country: United States
Posts: 11,796
vCash: 500
“Tell Matt Martin, the guy who lead the league in hits by a wide margin and will fight anyone, this team doesn’t have toughness. I asked our leaders every now and then, if they felt they were being roughed up and wanted Trev (Gillies) or someone else from the Bridge to clean that up. They declined every time. Would you like a 4th liner who can contribute in all facets who has the capability to handle that if the situation arises? Absolutely. We’d welcome that guy. The game is too fast now for a one dimensional enforcer. Our team got called to task last February for a game against the Penguins. That’s the kind of identity; in terms of a team sticking up for itself you want for a group of guys.”




Prust.....

StrongIslanders90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 10:57 AM
  #27
IslesNorway
Registered User
 
IslesNorway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Country: Norway
Posts: 2,686
vCash: 500
He pretty much said he'd be trading for top 4 guy. Good to see!

IslesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 11:13 AM
  #28
scott99
Registered User
 
scott99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 5,473
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twine Seeking Missle View Post
Points wise the last few years the Islanders have finished ahead of you guys. But there is no question I would choose to be the Oilers right now. The Islanders have Tavares and little else. You guys have Hall, Eberle, Nugent-Hopkins, Gagne, Hemsky, etc. The Oilers have a ton more pieces in place than the Islanders. You just need a #1 goaltender and 2 solid D-men. After that and another year or two of your young guys maturing and watch out.

team possible and you see why the Islanders are actually moving backwards.
Outside of Hall and RNH being #1 overall picks and #1 overall talents, and Eberle, who was passed over by 21 teams in the 2008 draft (we got Bailey @ #9), they might also be disappointed by some of their prospects productivity. Magnus Pajaarvi-Svensson hasn't exactly lived up to his billing, neither has Hartikainen and Omark. Gagne hasn't exactly taken the world by storm, 17% of his 47points last year came in one game. No offense to Oiler's fans meant, but they are in a similar boat as us, sure they have 3 stud youngsters, and at this moment the Islanders only have 1. BUT, who knows what Strome, Nelson, Niederreiter, Kabanov, etc will bring us.

scott99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 11:17 AM
  #29
Isles Junkie
Registered User
 
Isles Junkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 7,846
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
“Tell Matt Martin, the guy who lead the league in hits by a wide margin and will fight anyone, this team doesn’t have toughness. I asked our leaders every now and then, if they felt they were being roughed up and wanted Trev (Gillies) or someone else from the Bridge to clean that up. They declined every time. Would you like a 4th liner who can contribute in all facets who has the capability to handle that if the situation arises? Absolutely. We’d welcome that guy. The game is too fast now for a one dimensional enforcer. Our team got called to task last February for a game against the Penguins. That’s the kind of identity; in terms of a team sticking up for itself you want for a group of guys.”




Prust.....
yes yes yes

i'd be thrilled if they signed him. those are the type of tough players the team needs. guys who can play the game & protect everyone. They need more Martins, Prusts & Ashams. that is how you protect your players in todays NHL

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 11:26 AM
  #30
Original Rob
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 267
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesNorway View Post
He pretty much said he'd be trading for top 4 guy. Good to see!
I suggest we wait until it actually happens before getting too excited. Garth hasn't made a significant trade in 5 years, so I'm not assuming that 1) he will make a trade or 2) it will be a GOOD trade.

Original Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 11:32 AM
  #31
Twine Seeking Missle
Go monkey go!!!
 
Twine Seeking Missle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Suck-town
Country: United States
Posts: 7,889
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
Outside of Hall and RNH being #1 overall picks and #1 overall talents, and Eberle, who was passed over by 21 teams in the 2008 draft (we got Bailey @ #9), they might also be disappointed by some of their prospects productivity. Magnus Pajaarvi-Svensson hasn't exactly lived up to his billing, neither has Hartikainen and Omark. Gagne hasn't exactly taken the world by storm, 17% of his 47points last year came in one game. No offense to Oiler's fans meant, but they are in a similar boat as us, sure they have 3 stud youngsters, and at this moment the Islanders only have 1. BUT, who knows what Strome, Nelson, Niederreiter, Kabanov, etc will bring us.
That right there was the point I was trying to drive home.

I will agree that we need another 2 or 3 years at least to see how everything works out for both teams. It's still too early to tell but I feel with their 3 studs to the isles 1, the Oilers are further along. However, Edmonton is going to have to trade/go the free agent route from the crease out because the blueline/goaltending situation does need to be addressed before they are able to take that next step.

Twine Seeking Missle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 11:35 AM
  #32
Dutch Frost
Everything is Fine!!
 
Dutch Frost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Queens, NY
Posts: 2,467
vCash: 1130
We have a plan and were sticking to it!

Dutch Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 11:36 AM
  #33
Twine Seeking Missle
Go monkey go!!!
 
Twine Seeking Missle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Suck-town
Country: United States
Posts: 7,889
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisBeKreame View Post
First off those guys, save eberle are first overall draft picks. There is a big difference. Secondly what did you expect out of Okposo this seaon, he just scored 24g this past season? Take into consideration the physical and phyological injury he took when he hit the boards. Take a real look at the guys taken around him.

#6 Brassard Columbus 275gp-51g-100a-154p
#7 Okopso Islanders 271gp-68g-93a -161p
#8 Mueller Pheonix 254gp-55g-88a -143p
#9 Sheppard Minnesota 244gp-11g-38a-49p
#10 Frolik Florida 304gp-58g-83-141p
I agree about Okposo. I still think he can develop even more. I'm not as sold on Bailey. And I think part of the problem with Okposo was that too much was expected out of him. As soon as the Isles picked him you heard "future captain" and "the next Iginla". I think that whole next Iginla thing stuck in peoples heads and had him doomed from the start. If he is a 25 goal/year guy, that's fine. I am sure isles fans can live with that. I just think some had him pegged as a 30-35 goal scorer.

Twine Seeking Missle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 11:45 AM
  #34
SLAPSHOT723
Moderator
Bandwagon since 2008
 
SLAPSHOT723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Long Island
Posts: 15,943
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twine Seeking Missle View Post
I agree about Okposo. I still think he can develop even more. I'm not as sold on Bailey. And I think part of the problem with Okposo was that too much was expected out of him. As soon as the Isles picked him you heard "future captain" and "the next Iginla". I think that whole next Iginla thing stuck in peoples heads and had him doomed from the start. If he is a 25 goal/year guy, that's fine. I am sure isles fans can live with that. I just think some had him pegged as a 30-35 goal scorer.
I can still see him scoring 30 goals, just in a good year. Consistently getting 25 is perfectly fine with me.

SLAPSHOT723 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 11:49 AM
  #35
KrisBeKreame
Registered User
 
KrisBeKreame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Virginia
Country: United States
Posts: 2,047
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAPSHOT723 View Post
I can still see him scoring 30 goals, just in a good year. Consistently getting 25 is perfectly fine with me.
25 is fine for me, I just want to see the physical part of his game back from before the injury. He was very difficult to take off the puck, very responsible in his own end and was great battling along the boards.

KrisBeKreame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 12:26 PM
  #36
Isles Junkie
Registered User
 
Isles Junkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 7,846
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Frost View Post
We have a plan and were sticking to it!
Kill all of us before we reach 45? The plan is working well.

Seriously though, they have to stray from the plan because there are only so many spots & there are too many prospects. Some of these guys have to be moved.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 12:27 PM
  #37
Janson
fireSNOW
 
Janson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Islander Country
Country: United States
Posts: 542
vCash: 500
Garth's words don't hold any "Weight". Ba dum dum. He wants his 4th liners to be complete players. More like completely terrible. At what facet of the game does Reasoner and Nino excell or contribute even? How do people swallow his ****? What kind of GM lets that kind of production continue through 82 games? Atleast a kid like Haley would hit and intimidate, what a friggin' clown.

Not for nothing Cappin' Jack had some balls last season by not switching up the lines. Exposed what a ****** team Garth gave him to use last season. Bunch of Jokers they are.


Last edited by Janson: 06-08-2012 at 12:32 PM.
Janson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 12:29 PM
  #38
doublechili
Registered User
 
doublechili's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 4,963
vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAPSHOT723 View Post
For anyone that was there, I was the one that asked about Nino at the end of the session. He doesn't regret keeping him on Long Island, he just wished he played in Bridgeport last season. I think he's going to start the season there.

He liked to say that our prospect pool was really great, and that they can be used in assets for a trade. I've never heard him say that before, I like that. Sounds like there's a strong possibility that we'll see a few prospects gone for immediate help.

Someone asked another great question, that when Garth puts a team together, what does he want our team's identity to be? He said he wants a resilient team. A team that sticks up for each other. I liked that a lot.
I see that instead of saying he wanted a defensive team or a tough team or any number of adjectives, he used a personality trait. I wonder if there's any relationship to the personality testing the team does with prospects?

doublechili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 12:38 PM
  #39
I am the Liquor
Registered User
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 33,839
vCash: 3099
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
Kill all of us before we reach 45? The plan is working well.

Seriously though, they have to stray from the plan because there are only so many spots & there are too many prospects. Some of these guys have to be moved.
But...........Im already 45.



I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 02:00 PM
  #40
ichabod13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Baltimore Maryland
Posts: 2,359
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mygameworn View Post
Snow offered him below fair market value and PA wants to see what's out there.
what was the offer?

ichabod13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 02:13 PM
  #41
Isles Junkie
Registered User
 
Isles Junkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 7,846
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichabod13 View Post
what was the offer?
we don't know what the offer was. There's no way to tell it was below market value, because he hasn't hit the market yet.

PAP has earned the right to see what's out there & if the Isles know he wants to see what's what, they shouldn't come at him with their top offer just yet. No need to set the market & bid against yourself. Let some other team top the NYI offer and I am sure that PAP will come back to the Isles and give them a chance to match.

At the end of the day, I still think he gets signed.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 02:25 PM
  #42
scott99
Registered User
 
scott99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 5,473
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twine Seeking Missle View Post
That right there was the point I was trying to drive home.

I will agree that we need another 2 or 3 years at least to see how everything works out for both teams. It's still too early to tell but I feel with their 3 studs to the isles 1, the Oilers are further along. However, Edmonton is going to have to trade/go the free agent route from the crease out because the blueline/goaltending situation does need to be addressed before they are able to take that next step.
But you have to understand Twine, that 2 out of those 3 studs were FIRST overall picks, we were picking 5th overall both years. 5th overall picks usually don't make the team out of camp after being drafted. Niederreiter AND Strome were sent back to junior 3 months after being drafted. Hall and RNH did not get sent back. And they shouldn't have to be, because they are world class talents like Tavares. Edmonton just happens to be picking 1st 3 years in a row, of course their studs will be better than ours right off the bat. 1ST overall picks usually jump right into the NHL, because they usually are the best prospects in their draft year, as opposed to the 4th or 5th best prospect (Thank you Captain Obvious). It's just the way it is. Hell, their prospects BETTER be better than ours.

scott99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 03:41 PM
  #43
Twine Seeking Missle
Go monkey go!!!
 
Twine Seeking Missle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Suck-town
Country: United States
Posts: 7,889
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
But you have to understand Twine, that 2 out of those 3 studs were FIRST overall picks, we were picking 5th overall both years. 5th overall picks usually don't make the team out of camp after being drafted. Niederreiter AND Strome were sent back to junior 3 months after being drafted. Hall and RNH did not get sent back. And they shouldn't have to be, because they are world class talents like Tavares. Edmonton just happens to be picking 1st 3 years in a row, of course their studs will be better than ours right off the bat. 1ST overall picks usually jump right into the NHL, because they usually are the best prospects in their draft year, as opposed to the 4th or 5th best prospect (Thank you Captain Obvious). It's just the way it is. Hell, their prospects BETTER be better than ours.
Oh of course I get that. Those guys are expected to be better than our guys. I was only saying that they are further along and have more top talent... which they do. The reason they have that top talent was because their picks were slightly higher obviously. What I was saying before though about their guys being better than the Isles guys took that into account. I probably could have worded it a bit better so my bad on that.

I did say our guys weren't living up to expectations but I wasn't trying to compare them to the Oilers young guys. You are right when you say their prospects better be better than the Isles. All things being equal, they are further along. That's the long winded point I was trying to make.

Twine Seeking Missle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 05:50 PM
  #44
A Pointed Stick
No! Slp! Til Brklyn!
 
A Pointed Stick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 5,708
vCash: 500
Interesting comments from Snow. It looks like they finally softened on Rick, so good there though the proof is in the pudding. His comments on toughness are sad. I can deal with him saying Gillies and Haley aren't an answer, but saying we don't need any help in that area is alcoholic's denial though we all know who is making that decision, rhymes with DANG!

The suggestion that he will trade for a top 4 defenseman is an interesting hand grenade to toss into the meeting though. Was it even a month ago he said there was no way any meaningful trades would be made and the guys had to find it in themselves to provide an answer? What the fig changed in 30 days?

Who here thinks this means Tavares raised his voice and asked them to fix the problem? That is the only possible answer besides the absurd concept that Garth AND Chuck both accepted the decision was a mistake and that the club needs some help on that shoothole of a blueline.

But again, words are cheap and he was talking to customers. I would not be surprised to find out he was blowing smoke up everyone's ass when he announces in September that the trade just wasn't there. Seeing is believing, and as he and Chuck have blatantly lied to us in the past I reserve judgement until said trade happens.

I hope for the best, but expect nothing. All of you should too, imo.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 07:37 PM
  #45
Law
Registered User
 
Law's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Miami, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 7,212
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
Looks like snows atleast willing to move assets to aquire a real dman...he said so we should hold him to it....
"I've been traded where?!? Faaaaaack!! Get me Kirk Muller's cell number...now."





Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
Interesting comments from Snow. It looks like they finally softened on Rick, so good there though the proof is in the pudding. His comments on toughness are sad. I can deal with him saying Gillies and Haley aren't an answer, but saying we don't need any help in that area is alcoholic's denial though we all know who is making that decision, rhymes with DANG!
From a few things I've heard (which intrinsically means 'big grain of salt'), Snow had it with Ricky a long time ago. Unfortunately, it ain't his call how that situation is ultimately handled so......

Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 07:42 PM
  #46
ScaredStreit
Registered User
 
ScaredStreit's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 3,896
vCash: 61
He wont be acquiring a top-4 D for next season (and the reality is he needs at least 1-preferably 2). I actually liked the Ehroff trade, low risk-high reward, and when the reward didn't pan out he essentially broke even moving him to Buffalo. But he had no interest in playing for the Islanders. He's already making excuses for when he fails to improve the team. Just end the charade already. Bring in a real GM.

ScaredStreit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 07:48 PM
  #47
CREW99AW
Registered User
 
CREW99AW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 27,194
vCash: 500
Quote:
The suggestion that he will trade for a top 4 defenseman is an interesting hand grenade to toss into the meeting though. Was it even a month ago he said there was no way any meaningful trades would be made and the guys had to find it in themselves to provide an answer? What the fig changed in 30 days?

He made his 'no major changes' comment to Newsday.

He made his 'will look for a trade' comment,to former STH,who were grilling him.

Quote:
Who here thinks this means Tavares raised his voice and asked them to fix the problem? That is the only possible answer besides the absurd concept that Garth AND Chuck both accepted the decision was a mistake and that the club needs some help on that shoothole of a blueline.
You don't think that Snow being pressed by former STH,who are asking why they should renew,had something to do with his decision to say he'll look for a trade?

Quote:
But again, words are cheap and he was talking to customers. I would not be surprised to find out he was blowing smoke up everyone's ass when he announces in September that the trade just wasn't there. Seeing is believing, and as he and Chuck have blatantly lied to us in the past I reserve judgement until said trade happens.

I'd be disppointed if Snow does not look for a trade and explore the ufa market.
If he's got $4m-$4.5m that Parenteau rejected,don't waste it on another Rolston(Gomez).
Don't add Komi,who couldn't raise his play to get off the Leafs 3rd pairing.Ugh

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 08:08 PM
  #48
OlTimeHockey
Registered User
 
OlTimeHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: home
Country: China
Posts: 15,363
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Law View Post
From a few things I've heard (which intrinsically means 'big grain of salt'), Snow had it with Ricky a long time ago. Unfortunately, it ain't his call how that situation is ultimately handled so......
You remember the fluff piece put out about the players naming the people they respected the most (during Snow's last month of being a player) and who did Snow name as the person he admires the most?

HINT: it likely got him hired as GM saying the name.


I gotta go find the article.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 08:43 PM
  #49
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
Captain Tavares
 
Kevin27nyi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 8,824
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAPSHOT723 View Post
For anyone that was there, I was the one that asked about Nino at the end of the session. He doesn't regret keeping him on Long Island, he just wished he played in Bridgeport last season. I think he's going to start the season there.

He liked to say that our prospect pool was really great, and that they can be used in assets for a trade. I've never heard him say that before, I like that. Sounds like there's a strong possibility that we'll see a few prospects gone for immediate help.

Someone asked another great question, that when Garth puts a team together, what does he want our team's identity to be? He said he wants a resilient team. A team that sticks up for each other. I liked that a lot.
I was talking to my Dad about trading prospects the other night, and how it's the smart thing to do and how you have to be careful to not end up like Milbury.

The first difference being that Milbury never had a Tavares. He traded heavily to acquire Yashin, to fill that number one center spot. I still believe it wasn't a bad trade, it was one that just didn't work out.

Second, this team is so deep in assets in terms of prospects and picks. Every pick in this draft can be traded and the farm system would be 5-7 ranked after the draft IMO.

Trade some assets to improve our current core.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
“Tell Matt Martin, the guy who lead the league in hits by a wide margin and will fight anyone, this team doesn’t have toughness. I asked our leaders every now and then, if they felt they were being roughed up and wanted Trev (Gillies) or someone else from the Bridge to clean that up. They declined every time. Would you like a 4th liner who can contribute in all facets who has the capability to handle that if the situation arises? Absolutely. We’d welcome that guy. The game is too fast now for a one dimensional enforcer. Our team got called to task last February for a game against the Penguins. That’s the kind of identity; in terms of a team sticking up for itself you want for a group of guys.”




Prust.....
Yep, and to a lesser extent, Haley. Prust is definitely better but for this team this year Haley provided that but couldn't play over Pandolfo, Reasoner or Nino.

Kevin27nyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 08:51 PM
  #50
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
Captain Tavares
 
Kevin27nyi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 8,824
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
Who here thinks this means Tavares raised his voice and asked them to fix the problem? That is the only possible answer besides the absurd concept that Garth AND Chuck both accepted the decision was a mistake and that the club needs some help on that shoothole of a blueline.
I wish Tavares would come out and say, not even in a 'I want out' way but something to the effect of "I want this team to be better and hope ownership and management decide to really work this offseason on improving the team."

In spite of any media yelling about Tavares wanting to be traded, I'd love for JT to be open about the failures. He is one of the most competitive players in the league and doesn't want another basement finish. It's not fair, it's not fair to keep Tavares out of the playoffs.

Tavares would never say that, he's too good of a guy and I'm serious when I say that. I don't think we will ever hear Tavares say anything bad ever unless the situation he is talking about is. He's terrific in interviews and if on a better team a great spokesperson and poster player for the league. In the end it's best for him not to say anything and yet I feel he is being cheated and deserves better and some public heat might do the trick.

Kevin27nyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:14 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.