HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Therrien is new Habs coach

Old
06-08-2012, 02:02 AM
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE HOFF View Post
solid post. Cant understand why some ppl are going overboard bashing carbo. .
It comes more from his failures as a HC, rather than how good he was as an assistant. I think had he never been our HC, people would be really happy to hear that he might be coming on board.

"overlords is one of my favorite people on this entire site." - Hfboards
overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 10:53 AM
BobbyFischer*

Maxim Talbot has only great things to say about Therrien!

http://www.rds.ca/zone-video/#cat=53&videoID=111108

BobbyFischer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 11:01 AM
phoque taupe

what an ugly jacket

(good interview, looks like an AC-nut-hugging tho :p)

phoque taupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 11:07 AM
BobbyFischer*

Just watched an old interview of Therrien talking about how Rene Bourque needs to absolutely go to the net and stop staying on the perimeter and whatnot.

The more I listen to what Therrien has to say the more I like him.

BobbyFischer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 11:07 AM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyFischer View Post
Maxim Talbot has only great things to say about Therrien!

http://www.rds.ca/zone-video/#cat=53&videoID=111108
Any players willing to work hard will never have problems with Therrien.

I do respect 100% more the comments about him made by REAL pro players and coaches than by many uninformed and biased posters on this board.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 11:41 AM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
Any players willing to work hard will never have problems with Therrien.

I do respect 100% more the comments about him made by REAL pro players and coaches than by many uninformed and biased posters on this board.
You respect 100% any comments made by players in front of mic, which are always positive for any coach because we've never heard a player say a bad thing about a coach after their hiring, because that's unprofessional.

You don't need a player's opinion to know how a coach works, you just have to watch his time with the Penguins. Guess what, some posters on these boards have seen those games and there is reason for criticism.

But sure, go on about how awesome Therrien is, and how biased and uninformed everyone else is.

Jack Bourdain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 11:55 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

The only part I'd agree with Mathman, is that you do hope that Therrien is beyond "Let's work hard" like Carbo ALWAYS seem to say. You believe he is beyond that. You believe that in the interview, whether Bergevin or Dudley spoke about systems and all and that Therrien's press conference was solely addressed to fans who don,t want to talk about systems and only about pride and work ethic. 'Cause it's often not how hard you work, it's how well you work. And what you have as a system. This is where Mathman is totally right.....but you do believe they talked about that.

Unless we start the conspiracy theory, that none of our bilingual candidate were good and Therrien was impose to him. Again, I will choose not to believe that.

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 12:36 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
The only part I'd agree with Mathman, is that you do hope that Therrien is beyond "Let's work hard" like Carbo ALWAYS seem to say. You believe he is beyond that. You believe that in the interview, whether Bergevin or Dudley spoke about systems and all and that Therrien's press conference was solely addressed to fans who don,t want to talk about systems and only about pride and work ethic. 'Cause it's often not how hard you work, it's how well you work. And what you have as a system. This is where Mathman is totally right.....but you do believe they talked about that.

Unless we start the conspiracy theory, that none of our bilingual candidate were good and Therrien was impose to him. Again, I will choose not to believe that.
Hopefully you are right. I have a fear that we are turning into the mid 00s Leafs - obsession with "hard work" over talent. Hopefully I'm wrong about that.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 01:11 PM
Lemons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Hopefully you are right. I have a fear that we are turning into the mid 00s Leafs - obsession with "hard work" over talent. Hopefully I'm wrong about that.
Stanley Cup teams are a flawless mix of both.

Lemons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 01:18 PM
Gunners CH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain View Post
You respect 100% any comments made by players in front of mic, which are always positive for any coach because we've never heard a player say a bad thing about a coach after their hiring, because that's unprofessional.

You don't need a player's opinion to know how a coach works, you just have to watch his time with the Penguins. Guess what, some posters on these boards have seen those games and there is reason for criticism.

But sure, go on about how awesome Therrien is, and how biased and uninformed everyone else is.
You are choosing to ignore interviews and statements from players which contradict your opinions. Instead your stance is that everyone always says positive things and that therefore Doug Gilmour and Max Talbot's opinions can't be taken at their word

edited down to remove some unintended hostility and accusations. (Sorry for that)

Last edited by Gunners CH: 06-08-2012 at 04:23 PM.
Gunners CH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 01:42 PM
impudent_lowlife

If you look at Therrien's NHl coaching career, his teams have been outshot year after year whether it's Montreal or Pittsburgh. Getting outshot by the wide margin that Therrien's teams have indicates that his teams didn't have the puck as much as the Habs' or Penguin's opposition. Why? Probably because Therrien doesn't know how to implement strategies that lead to greater puck possession which leads to more goals and more wins.

impudent_lowlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 01:45 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by impudent_lowlife View Post
If you look at Therrien's NHl coaching career, his teams have been outshot year after year whether it's Montreal or Pittsburgh. Getting outshot by the wide margin that Therrien's teams have indicates that his teams didn't have the puck as much as the Habs' or Penguin's opposition. Why? Probably because Therrien doesn't know how to implement strategies that lead to greater puck possession which leads to more goals and more wins.
Apparently he was our best option. That's what I've been told.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 02:17 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemons View Post
Stanley Cup teams are a flawless mix of both.
Of course, the cup winning Habs teams always had tons of both.

But the idea that you should ignore finesse player and focus entirely on "blue collar" players typically ends in mediocrity. For all the talk about Therrien making the Penguins work harder, he still had the luxury of coaching a highly skilled team. The Habs are not that, especially after Gauthier gut the team last year.

Old
06-08-2012, 03:03 PM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt19 View Post
I don't know whether to blast you for your incessant negativity or to just feel sorry for you for being such a cynical person.

You are being shown interviews and statements from players which contradict your opinion so your stance is that everyone must be lying and then to insult those of us who would rather take Doug Gilmour and Max Talbot's opinion over yours.

You have every right to disagree with this hiring but trying to discredit all opinions of ex-players positive statements as lies is ridiculous.
It's cynical of me to discredit the opinions of players? When did I discredit them? When did I say that the positive statements are lies?

I stated a fact: players only say good things after a coach is hired, they don't air their dirty laundry in public.

My post was to point out that fans are in their right to criticize the coach, especially one they've had ample opportunity to watch at work, and that the comments from ex-players and current players won't diminish the veracity of the criticism.

Next time you can ignore me and not try to act like you know who I am and what I do on these boards. I welcomed Therrien and I told people to give him a chance, but he does merit the criticism he gets around here because of his past failures. How about you keep trotting around these boards and feel sorry for someone else, someone that might care about what you think?

Old
06-08-2012, 03:05 PM
No Team Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
I wouldn't mind that at all.
You should. Gilmour has zero coaching ability.

No Team Needed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 03:14 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt19 View Post
I don't know whether to blast you for your incessant negativity or to just feel sorry for you for being such a cynical person.

You are being shown interviews and statements from players which contradict your opinion so your stance is that everyone must be lying and then to insult those of us who would rather take Doug Gilmour and Max Talbot's opinion over yours.

You have every right to disagree with this hiring but trying to discredit all opinions of ex-players positive statements as lies is ridiculous.
I don't think you've seen many of Jack's posts if you think he goes around being incessantly negative. And there's a difference between being cynical and being realistic. Wasn't there an interview recently where a big time UFA-to-be said that he'd completely avoid the habs if Therrien became coach? And even then, it's very rare that a hockey player ever airs dirty laundry like that to media.

It's like if you only watched Fox News, you'd think Mitt Romney was a boss, right? Because 100% of what they say is pro-Mitt, right? (and this is just an example) So if you only pay attention to this one stream of information, you'll think Romney is fantastic, great even. The problem in this situation is that there is no MSNBC that bashes coaches all day. There is no 'other side to the story' in terms of coach praise when we're talking about players' opinions. So while you shouldn't discount all the praise, you shouldn't be naive enough to think that those are the only opinions out there.

Anyway, that's what I think Jack was trying to say.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 03:27 PM
habitue*

Quote:

There is no perfect coaches, nor no perfect teams.

Therrien is as good - or as bad - as a vast majority of the actual NHL coaches.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 03:29 PM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
There is no perfect coaches, nor no perfect teams.

Therrien is as good - or as bad - as a vast majority of the actual NHL coaches.
Agreed. What I look forward is his work with "lazy" players like Bourque (and AK if he was still here). Would be nice to see a team play all 60 minutes for once.

I just hope he has learned to temper his tongue, and not get under the players skin too much. He could use a Kirk Muller type in that regards for an assistant.

Old
06-08-2012, 04:06 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
I don't think you've seen many of Jack's posts if you think he goes around being incessantly negative. And there's a difference between being cynical and being realistic. Wasn't there an interview recently where a big time UFA-to-be said that he'd completely avoid the habs if Therrien became coach? And even then, it's very rare that a hockey player ever airs dirty laundry like that to media.

It's like if you only watched Fox News, you'd think Mitt Romney was a boss, right? Because 100% of what they say is pro-Mitt, right? (and this is just an example) So if you only pay attention to this one stream of information, you'll think Romney is fantastic, great even. The problem in this situation is that there is no MSNBC that bashes coaches all day. There is no 'other side to the story' in terms of coach praise when we're talking about players' opinions. So while you shouldn't discount all the praise, you shouldn't be naive enough to think that those are the only opinions out there.

Anyway, that's what I think Jack was trying to say.
Who and in what media?

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 04:32 PM
Gunners CH

Quote:
It's cynical of me to discredit the opinions of players? When did I discredit them? When did I say that the positive statements are lies?

I stated a fact: players only say good things after a coach is hired, they don't air their dirty laundry in public.

My post was to point out that fans are in their right to criticize the coach, especially one they've had ample opportunity to watch at work, and that the comments from ex-players and current players won't diminish the veracity of the criticism.

Next time you can ignore me and not try to act like you know who I am and what I do on these boards. I welcomed Therrien and I told people to give him a chance, but he does merit the criticism he gets around here because of his past failures. How about you keep trotting around these boards and feel sorry for someone else, someone that might care about what you think?
After reading what I said it's clear that it was way over the top and aggressive. Sorry for that. I've edited it down to what I was trying to say.

My main issue is that you can't simply cast aside positive comments from players with an enormous blanket statement about how players never insult coaches.

In Edmonton for example no specific player said particularly negative things about Pat Quinn's tenure but its widely known that he was a disaster here. No players came to his defense or vouched for him the way some of Therrien's players are.

I'm not saying that proves me right I'm just trying to point out that these player statements are relevant to this discussion.

Gunners CH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 04:56 PM
FinnHab

Funny, it seems that hard working players luv Therrien and lazy ******** hate him. This is one more reason why i welcome MT back to Habs...

FinnHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 05:10 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnHab View Post
Funny, it seems that hard working players luv Therrien and lazy ******** hate him. This is one more reason why i welcome MT back to Habs...
Lazy guys like Hal Gill?

Old
06-08-2012, 05:11 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnHab View Post
According to JT Bourne who played for him, his entire team in Wikes-Barrie despised him to an extent he's never seen his career and caused at least one trade request.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 05:13 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talks to Goalposts View Post
According to JT Bourne who played for him, his entire team in Wikes-Barrie despised him to an extent he's never seen his career and caused at least one trade request.
Every single one of them must have been soft and lazy.

Old
06-08-2012, 05:17 PM
Teufelsdreck

The critical question: Can a mangy old cur learn new tricks?

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote