HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

P106 or Lidstrom Users

Old
06-08-2012, 10:09 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

vCash: 500
P106 or Lidstrom Users

Looking to try a new curve, and I haven't used either of these, so thought I'd get some opinions. My Warrior Kopitar is a hair less open than my old P92, and those quick wrist/snap shots aren't getting up fast enough. Think glove height instead of bar down

Previously I used a Drury and it was too open and flat. Shots constantly going high and wide. And I lost some stickhandling and puck protection. I'd like something between the Sakic and Drury, something that's just a bit more of a heel and a bit more open than Sakic but still has some depth to the curve and isn't a wedge like the Drury.

Anybody with experience with these curves who could compare to the Sakic?

Jarick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 10:11 AM
OpenIceHit42

I use the Draper/Kopitar pattern now but gave the Lidstrom/Getzlaf a try last year and did not like it one bit. Shots were coming off of my blade weird and passes were air mailed. Quickly went back to my comfort zone in the Draper/Kopitar.

OpenIceHit42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 11:04 AM
AIREAYE

I've been using the P106 since I started playing and like you said Jarick, it's a perfect medium between the Drury and Sakic. From trying both the Drury (and clones) and Sakic (and clones), I've found that while it is quite easy to shoot high with the Drury, it is more difficult to place those shots accurately. I cannot use the Sakic any longer because I find it too open, passes inaccurate, shots/passes tend to flutter and too much of a rocker.

I would describe the Lidstrom clones as more similar to the Drury than P106, perhaps a deeper open heel than the Drury with a square toe.

I currently have success with Warrior's discontinued Vanek curve, which I compare to a shallower and slightly more closed version of the P106, in which the Warrior rep on ModSquad agreed with.

All in all, I would absolutely look at the P106 before the Lidstrom.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 11:13 AM
Ozolinsh_27

Is there a current equivalent of the P106? I never see it anywhere locally or online. Then again, I do use a jr blade/stick combo.

Ozolinsh_27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 11:17 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Do you find the P106 less open than the Sakic then?

With my shooting technique, I cup the puck (closing the blade) and fire from the middle, which is fairly closed on the Sakic, so I'm not getting the height I want. With the Drury, there's no curve so the puck rolls toward the toe, which adds power and height but throws the accuracy all over the place.

Ideally I'd want a curved blade that was more open than the Sakic at the mid/mid-heel section. That would let me cup the puck and fire, but with the curve it would keep the puck in a predictable area.

Does the P106 have a decent curve to it that would be conducive to that kind of shot?

Old
06-08-2012, 11:31 AM
ChiTownHawks
HFBoards Sponsor

I use the P106 and I find it to be a good medium between the P92 and the old Zetterberg or Bobby Ryan (PP09) that I used to use on my Sherwoords. It has a decent curve to it but not too much. I shoot my wristers the same way you describe with a cupping motion. The picture below is of me using the P106. Not sure if this will help at all but this is me bringing the puck up the ice and you can see how nicely this curve cups around the puck. FWI I was using a P92 before this curve and it took me a bit of time to get used to it.

ChiTownHawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 11:39 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

How do you feel about the loft vs the Sakic?

Old
06-08-2012, 11:39 AM
Ozz

Every blade I buy must be very close to my beloved Lidstrom or I hate it. FWIW, it now goes by the "Getzlaf" name.

I personally don't mind between the square or rounded toes, but the face/curve is what I love about it and how i base my blade purchases off of when I can't find a Lidstrom or Getzlaf available at the time.

I don't find that I have trouble doing anything with the puck (passing, sauce, control, protection, slap, snap, wrist, whatever). I rely heavily on my wrist and snap shots, and both are bombs w/this blade. I have been using it for 15+ years so I'm quite familiar with it, but I'd figure it'd be easy to get use to. Great accuracy, easy to roof it, easy to keep it down when you need to.

Last edited by Ozz: 06-08-2012 at 12:30 PM.
Ozz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 12:26 PM
ChiTownHawks
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
How do you feel about the loft vs the Sakic?
Can you explain a little more what you mean by loft in this case. Are you asking how easy it is to get shots up, or are asking how it rises, etc...

Old
06-08-2012, 12:37 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Either I suppose. I'm wondering how quickly the shots were rising vs the Sakic.

Old
06-08-2012, 01:20 PM
AIREAYE

I would describe the P106 as a mid-heel curve, whereas the Sakic has a mid-toe.

Old
06-08-2012, 01:31 PM
ChiTownHawks
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Either I suppose. I'm wondering how quickly the shots were rising vs the Sakic.
To me it seems as though the P92 rises quicker, but the P106 rises more if you are shooting a wrister from further away. Does that make any sense to you?

Old
06-08-2012, 01:43 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownHawks View Post
To me it seems as though the P92 rises quicker, but the P106 rises more if you are shooting a wrister from further away. Does that make any sense to you?
That sounds right to me.

Old
06-08-2012, 02:11 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Sounds like I should try the Lidstrom then. I'll see if I can't find a cheaper wood blade before springing for the comp.

Thanks!

Old
06-08-2012, 02:33 PM
jazz4all

don't forget to check the lie ,too. even though its listed as 5.5, my getzlaf (lidstrom) on ST blade is higher than sakic, and even higher lie (close to 6 i think) when i bought easton lami wood blade (getzlaf). the shape of its toe is much better on LAMI though.

jazz4all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 03:23 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Yeah the lie will probably mess me up. I'm used to Sakic with the rockered heel but the Lids is flatter. But I adapt to lies pretty well.

Also, the Crazy Ovi did not do the "more open Sakic" thing like I wanted. More like completely uncontrolled and unpredictable Sakic.

Old
06-12-2012, 09:03 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Picked up a wood Lidstrom blade and used it last night. Yeah, that's just too much. I sent two pucks into the netting over the glass and flat out missed the net a number of times.

Seemed that the wood blade added a bit of "flex" on the shots though. I spent a good portion of my long morning drive thinking about that. I might try and re-shape the blade or pick up a wood Sakic and open it up a hair.

I also saw Base hockey does both a Sakic and P92 clone, with the P92 being a bit more heel and a bit more loft. I *knew* it wasn't just in my head.

Old
06-12-2012, 09:33 AM
Ozz

Quote:
Picked up a wood Lidstrom blade and used it last night. Yeah, that's just too much. I sent two pucks into the netting over the glass and flat out missed the net a number of times.

Seemed that the wood blade added a bit of "flex" on the shots though. I spent a good portion of my long morning drive thinking about that. I might try and re-shape the blade or pick up a wood Sakic and open it up a hair.

I also saw Base hockey does both a Sakic and P92 clone, with the P92 being a bit more heel and a bit more loft. I *knew* it wasn't just in my head.
LMK if you end up wanting to sell that blade instead

Ozz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 09:45 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Eh, probably wouldn't be worth it with shipping.

I want to mess with the curve a bit and see how I like it. I think I like the flatter rocker and squared toe, but want to see about the lie.

I might see about getting some custom wood blades made up. There's a company that will do blades off your pattern or specs, and I'm kind of liking the flex of the wood blade.

Something like a 5 lie Lidstrom profile with a Sakic curve and a hair more loft.

Old
06-12-2012, 12:05 PM
jazz4all

sorry if its out of the topic but, if i'm looking for 5.25 lie blade, what are my best options? (replacement blade)

Old
06-12-2012, 12:27 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Specifically 5.25? Most blades have a rocker on the bottom which gives you a lot more flexibility. With a flat rocker you'd have to go custom. But blades that play slightly higher than 5 lie? Maybe the Bauer P106.

Old
06-12-2012, 01:14 PM
jazz4all

how about heatley curve? is it the same lie 5 as zetterberg?

Old
06-12-2012, 02:08 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I'm guessing it might play a little higher as well. A bit more rocker.

Old
06-13-2012, 01:17 PM
ponder

The P106 is less open than a P92/Kopitar/Sakic (I personally find them all to be incredibly similar). It's definitely open, not like a PM9 or P88 that some people describe as "slightly open" when they're more or less totally closed, but it's not super open, it's a bit less open than my Kopitar when I hold them side by side. It's also not a wedge like a Drury, it's more like a Sakic type of curve, fairly closed from heel to mid blade, then opens more from mid blade to toe. It also has an unconventional profile, lots of rocker, especially at the heel, and a somewhat short blade too (not actually that short, but to me it seems to play short because of the rocker, if that makes sense). It's definitely a curve that I like, but if you want something more open than a Sakic (especially in the mid blade area), then it's probably a poor choice.

If I were you, I'd be looking at a P08 or a Versteeg pro, though they're only available on expensive sticks (P08 on top of the line Bauers, Versteeg pro on the Warrior customizer). I know you said you didn't like the true Ovy pro, but the P08 is a toned down version, somewhere between an Ovy pro and a Sakic, it might work for you. The Versteeg pro seem to be similar to a Sakic, but more of a heel with a toe kink than a smooth mid/heel, might work too.

Last edited by ponder: 06-13-2012 at 01:25 PM.
ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 01:53 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Thanks ponder, all good thoughts. The P08 does sound very cool.