HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > Mock Drafts
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Mock Drafts Mock drafts for fun and fantasy here.

Jets2011 Mock Draft 2012 Round 1 (only semi-serious)

Old
06-07-2012, 10:49 PM
Jets2011

vCash: 500
Jets2011 Mock Draft 2012 Round 1 (only semi-serious)

2012 NHL Entry Draft

I may not be the most knowledgeable guy about the prospects but I love the draft, and like everyone would love to see a bit more drama on the floor. So this draft isn't necessarily what I think will happen but just an attempt to liven it up a bit. Criticize at your peril. Any derogatory comments about teams (i.e. your team, are done tongue in cheek, not to be taken serious...but comments about everyone else's team are spot on).

Here we go....

1) Edmonton Oilers- Nail Yakupov, C, Sarnia (OHL)
No surprise here.

**we have a trade on the draft floor. Columbus let the Islanders and the Canadiens know they were considering taking either Forsberg or Grigorenko at the #2 spot. After fielding several offers they took the best one**

[Trade: Columbus trades the #2 overall pick to the Montreal Canadiens for the #3 pick overall, and Montreal's second round pick in 2013]

2) Montreal Canadiens - Filip Forsberg, RW, Leksand, Sweden

**we have another trade on the draft floor. Word that Buffalo was looking to trade up to the #3 spot to take Grigorenko put the Islanders into action**

[Trade: Columbus trades the #3 overall pick, and their 4th round pick in 2013 to the Islanders for the #4 overall pick and the Islanders second round pick this year]

3) New York Islanders - Mikhail Grigorenko, C, Quebec (QMJHL)

4) Columbus Blue Jackets - Ryan Murray, D, Everett (WHL)
Columbus GM Scott Howson looks like the cat who swallowed the canary as he gets the guy he intended to pick from the start but also gets 2 2nd round picks with every intention of picking at least one goalie. As the TSN cameras scan the Columbus table we see a copy of "The Great Brain" by John Dennis Fitzgerald sitting on top of the Hockey News draft guide.

[Trade: We have yet another trade on the floor. Toronto has sent their #5 pick to Calgary for the Flame's 14th overall pick, and 75th overall pick (3rd round) in 2012, and a 2013 draft pick to be determined later]

5) Calgary Flames - Matt Dumba, D, Red Deer (WHL)
Calgary likes the fact he is local and are looking for the big open ice impact hits and a power play defenseman.

6) Anaheim Ducks - Teuvo Teravainen, LW, Jokerit, Finland
Nobody was quite ready when instead of trading their pick the Ducks actually went to the podium and picked. In fact there was an embarrasing delay as the microphone wouldn't work properly. By the time it did work Bob Murray may have been a bit shaken, or maybe it was a Freudian slip, but he announced the selection of Teemu Teravainen.

7) Minnesota Wild - Jacob Trouba, D, US NTDP
Minnesota seemed to have blinders on as they zeroed in on their own backyard.

8) Carolina Hurricanes - Griffin Reinhart, D, Edmonton (WHL)

**on the TSN desk Bob McKenzie breaks a big story right after the camera pans over a worried looking Alex Galchenyuk in the stands. A video was posted of Galchenyuk just minutes ago heading to the bathroom just before the draft started with a noticeable limp, and then slipped and fell on an errantly spilled slurpee. We see the brain trust of several tables including Carolina and Winnipeg watching something on their Blackberries**

[Trade: Yet another trade from the floor, this is unbelievable. Winnipeg has traded their #9 pick overall to Buffalo for their #12 pick plus Buffalo's 3rd round pick #73 overall]

**This allows Bob McKenzie to remind us all of the last time Winnipeg and Buffalo swapped first round draft picks in 1990 as part of the Hawerchuck - Housley deal. Buffalo traded up and got Brad May, while Winnipeg got Keith Tkachuk**

9) Buffalo Sabres - Alex Galchenyuk LW/C, Sarnia (OHL)
Galchenyuk does not come to the podium making McKenzie wonder if the Sabres just got the next Marian Hossa or the next Juri Dudacek.

10) Tampa Bay Lightning - Morgan Reillly, D Moose Jaw (WHL)
Steve Yzerman loves that he just got a blue chip defenseman

11) Washington Capitals - Cody Ceci, D, Ottawa (OHL)
Good size, adds some offensive punch and some grit for the new direction Washington Capitals

12) Winnipeg Jets - Radek Faksa, C, Kitchener (OHL)
The Jets are small and lack offensive punch down the middle. Faksa is projected to be the #2 center 5 years down the line behind Scheiffle. TSN shows the obligatory shot of Dancing Gabe celebrating the pick.

13) Dallas Stars - Brady Skjei, D, US NTDP
A bit of a surprise pick but the Stars love his skating ability and there is a cleverly worded clause that slips by his lawyers that if he turns out to be a bust he will be used as part of the "Stars on Ice" figure skating show

14) Toronto Maple Leafs - Brendan Gaunce, C, Belleville (OHL)
The Leafs have had their eye on Gaunce from day 1, and when they couldnt get Forsberg or Grigorenko they decided to trade down to get him.

15) Ottawa Senators - Zemgus Girgensons, C, Dubuque (USHL)
The walk of shame for the Canadian clubs to the podium to make their early picks continues. Ottawa as the political capital of Canada continues to build down the middle adding Girgensons to Zibanejad doing their part to make journalists with deadlines jobs miserable.

16) Washington Capitals - Olli Maatta, D, London (OHL)
The Capitals add their 2nd defenseman of the draft.

**At this point as San Jose makes their way to the podium the lights flicker, then we have a power failure for about 10 seconds. As Bob McKenzie makes a joke about the Sharks choking even at the draft the lights go back on. Seconds later the panel notices that Alex Galchenyuk is no longer in his seat. He's gone like the wind.**

17) San Jose Sharks - Matt Finn, D, Guelph (OHL)
The Sharks bring out special guest Jimmy Buffett to present Finn with his Shark's jersey, and within minutes it becomes the hottest selling jersey at NHL.com

18) Chicago Blackhawks - Jordan Schmaltz, D, Green Bay (USHL)
A bit of a leap for the Hawks but they are going for the home run instead of an infield single.

19) Tampa Bay Lightning - Hampus Lindholm, D, Rogle, Sweden
Much like their Southeast rivals the Capitals, Stevie Y adds his second defenseman of the draft.

20) Philadelphia Flyers - Malcolm Subban, G, Belleville (OHL)
Amongst chants of "We-Hate-You" from the Penguin faithful the Flyers surprise Bob McKenzie who boldly predicts the selection of Dalton Thrower. When Subban puts on the Flyers jersey at first he's jeered and then a chant of "P-K's-Bett-er" breaks out.

21) Buffalo Sabres - Sebastian Collberg, RW, Frolunda, Sweden
Collberg comes down to the stage to don the Sabres jersey, much to the Buffalo's braintrust visual relief.

22) Pittsburgh Penguins - Tomas Hertl, C, Slavia, Czech
The hometown faithful pour down some love to Hertl, but the TSN panel wonders if an offensive minded forward is really what the Penguins need.

23) Florida Panthers - Slater Koekkoek, D, Peterborough (OHL)
General manager of the year Dale Tallon may have another gem on his hands as he takes on the big injury risk of Koekkoek, but also the big upside potential.

24) Boston Bruins - Derek Pouliot, D, Portland (WHL)
Should be a prototypical Bruin, with a good all around game, and they will develop his nasty streak.

25) St. Louis Blues - Stefan Matteau , LW, US NTDP
Looking for the next Sergio Momesso.

26) Vancouver Canucks - Nicolas Kerdiles, LW, US NTDP
The Canucks decided to not take Ludvig Bystrom or Pontus Aberg, staying away from Sweden and signing a gritty American power forward. With his world travels, inconsistent play, and tendency to take too long of shifts he should fit fine in Vancouver.

27) Phoenix Coyotes - Henrik Samuelsson, C, Edmonton (WHL)
[Grudge]With yet another ownership deal falling apart at his feet, Gary Bettman sweats on stage as "Slick" Don Maloney picks the son of Ulf for the NHL, oops, for the Coyotes [/Grudge].

**It's later reported that when Ulf Samuelsson's name was mentioned Don Cherry had a minor heart attack but after being kept for observation was sent home the next day and is doing fine**

28) New York Rangers - Ludvig Bystrom, D, Modo, Sweden
After donning the Blue, Red, and white and making his way to the Rangers table, John Tortorella yelled "incoming" and threw a water bottle at the legs of Bystrom. When Bystrom moved out of the way, Tortorella had to be restrained by his scouts from going after the young prospect.

29) Los Angeles Kings - Dalton Thrower, D, Saskatoon (WHL)
The Kings go sheepishly to the podium after blowing a 3 game lead in the Stanley Cup finals. They send Bill Gurney, video technician to the mic to make the pick as the fans chant "You-Suck-Worse-Then-Us". Feeling his cheeks flush red and looking down at the paper that says "Pontus Aberg", suddently Gurney is pushed to the side by Zen master Darryl Sutter who mumbles something into the the mic, and when asked to repeat it yells "Thrower..from Saskatchewan..."

30) New Jersey Devils - Forfeit the pick as the camera zooms in on Ilya Kovalchuk sitting at the Devils table and having his finger measured for a ring.

I bet you can't wait for Round 2 !!

Last edited by Jets2011: 06-07-2012 at 10:56 PM.
Jets2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 03:15 AM
DuckJet
Destiny pls

vCash: 69
I get that you want to mix things up but hell will freeze over before Gally drops to 9

DuckJet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 07:21 AM
Ford Prefect

I think it's more unlikely that the Habs trade up to get Forsberg. And I don't see anyone trading up to take Grigerenko. If anyone is going to slide, it is him.

On a plus though it sure was an entertaining read. Kudos!

Ford Prefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 07:27 AM
Jets2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
I get that you want to mix things up but hell will freeze over before Gally drops to 9
No, that's Hell will freeze over before the Eagles ever reunite. Thanks for the feedback though, and thanks for reading.

Old
06-08-2012, 07:32 AM
Jets2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Prefect View Post
I think it's more unlikely that the Habs trade up to get Forsberg. And I don't see anyone trading up to take Grigerenko. If anyone is going to slide, it is him.

On a plus though it sure was an entertaining read. Kudos!
Thanks. I have to agree with you especially considering the Islanders propensity for making excellent organizational decisions, it's unlikely they will deviate from the accepted rankings.

Old
06-08-2012, 08:03 AM
OfWolfAndMan
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 506
So let me get this straight.

Toronto trades 5th overall for 14th, 75th, and TBA 2013 pick? Unless that 2013 pick is Calgary's 1st in 2013, this is perhaps the worst deal I've ever seen. For the Leafs to move to 5 from 7 in 2008 cost them a 2nd and 3rd. That's 2 spots. And you're saying a 3rd and unknown pick to move up 9 spots?

Yikes. Not personal, but pretty bad. Drama is great on the draft floor, but the value is out in the weeds.

Amazes me how Toronto is always the one in mocks who does stupid things. Drafting Faksa at 5th in one mock, and now this.

OfWolfAndMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 08:25 AM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by TribalPhoenix View Post

Toronto trades 5th overall for 14th, 75th, and TBA 2013 pick? Unless that 2013 pick is Calgary's 1st in 2013, this is perhaps the worst deal I've ever seen. For the Leafs to move to 5 from 7 in 2008 cost them a 2nd and 3rd. That's 2 spots. And you're saying a 3rd and unknown pick to move up 9 spots?

Yikes. Not personal, but pretty bad. Drama is great on the draft floor, but the value is out in the weeds.

Amazes me how Toronto is always the one in mocks who does stupid things. Drafting Faksa at 5th in one mock, and now this.
To be fair, Toronto does some stupid things irl as well.

Personally, I think any draft where you can make Galchenyuk fall to Buffalo awesome.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 08:30 AM
Jets2011

Quote:

Yes that would be a pretty bad deal, unless Gaunce turns out to be a stud, and then it will be the most astute deal ever. Thanks for the feedback.

Old
06-08-2012, 08:41 AM
T_Cage
VP of Awesome

Quote:

And lets not forget the mock where they drafted Kadri that one year...

.....oh, wait.......that actually happened???? fml

T_Cage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 08:50 AM
KrisBeKreame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets2011 View Post
Thanks. I have to agree with you especially considering the Islanders propensity for making excellent organizational decisions, it's unlikely they will deviate from the accepted rankings.
What is that supposed to mean?

ALso the Islanders the past two drafts went thier guys dispite what the media said.

Third if the Islanders are moving up its grab Murray or Galchenyuk.

KrisBeKreame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 10:14 AM
Jets2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisBeKreame View Post
What is that supposed to mean?

ALso the Islanders the past two drafts went thier guys dispite what the media said.

Third if the Islanders are moving up its grab Murray or Galchenyuk.
What is it supposed to mean? I don't know, as an Islander fan are you happy with the organizational decisions they have made over the past decade?

Yes the Islanders went with their guys. Unfortunately I don't have access to their draft list. But like you I recognize that the Islanders don't always follow the Hockey News guide listings. That's part of what makes the day fun. But then why do you insist they are going to move up to grab Murray or Galchenyuk...those seem like pretty "normal" media picks to me. How boring.

Old
06-08-2012, 11:42 AM
Bernier the Boats
Formerly BBurke

Lol at Toronto passing on Galchenyuk and taking Gaunce to get an extra 3rd

Bernier the Boats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 11:56 AM
GamingGiant

Galchenyuk falls to 9 and the Devils win the Stanley Cup.

Interesting.

GamingGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 01:07 PM
Jets2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBurke View Post
Lol at Toronto passing on Galchenyuk and taking Gaunce to get an extra 3rd
And futures!!

Old
06-08-2012, 02:02 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 157
Dear god, that Stars' pick is awful.

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 02:06 PM
OfWolfAndMan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets2011 View Post
Yes that would be a pretty bad deal, unless Gaunce turns out to be a stud, and then it will be the most astute deal ever. Thanks for the feedback.
Not a question about Gaunce, it's an issue of value for the 5th... the Leafs could get a ton more for moving down. Wouldn't shock me if a Tampa or a Buffalo used their 2 1st rounders to get to 5.

Wouldn't shock me at all to see the Leafs move down if they can't get their guy at 5.

Old
06-08-2012, 02:08 PM
OfWolfAndMan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Cage View Post
And lets not forget the mock where they drafted Kadri that one year...

.....oh, wait.......that actually happened???? fml
Don't remind me... I drove from Toronto to Montreal for that draft.

When we announced the pick, all you heard in my section was my voice :

"I drove 6 and a half @^#$ hours to watch us draft Nazem @#!^ing Kadri!? **** !!!!!!"

I'm driving just as long to get to Pittsburgh... watch us end up drafting Tom Wilson 5th overall.....