HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Visitor to Montreal needs a bit of help!

Old
06-07-2012, 09:37 PM
phlla12

vCash: 500
Visitor to Montreal needs a bit of help!

Hello Montreal fans!

I'm visiting Montreal for the summer and after being here a week I have fallen in love with your city. Old Montreal is absolutely stunning and I'm quite eager for the summer festivities which are now just beginning. In fact, I love it so much that I am considering staying a bit longer so that I can attend a few Montreal games at the start of next season. Then I will peace out come winter

I do need some help however and felt this would be a good place to solicit that assistance. Long story short, I have rented an apartment in Old Montreal and Videotron is the ISP. Unfortunately I am heavy internet user and upon looking at my usage I'm fearful that they are going to slap me with some ludacris overage charge. In fact, I've been here seven days and am pretty sure I've already built up an overage. Oh boy. That presents a major issue.

I know there are alternative providers available, some with unlimited plans, and I would like to present an alternative option to the lessor. But in saying that, I want to get this decision right as otherwise I'm going to be financially *****.

Do any heavy Internet users here have any suggestions?

Thank you very much in advance for the help. I hope posting this thread was appropriate! I'm primarily a lurker

phlla12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 09:40 PM
AntonCH

Stop playing Diablo3 or whatever the flavor of the day is?

AntonCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 09:41 PM
Bloumeister
Food Court Jester

You've used up 40 Go in a week?

Bloumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 09:48 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Try Acanac, Electronic Box or TekSavvy.

And for the guy who suggested that D3 could use up your bandwidth, you serious bro?

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 09:52 PM
AntonCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post

And for the guy who suggested that D3 could use up your bandwidth, you serious bro?
Like breeze, did i need to put in the sarcasm smiley?
Everybody got seriously sensitive nipples on these boards lately?
whatup wit dat?

AntonCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 09:54 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonCH View Post
Like breeze, did i need to put in the sarcasm smiley?
Everybody got seriously sensitive nipples on these boards lately?
whatup wit dat?
You'd wonder about people if you saw half the stupid **** I delete on here any given day. You learn to stop giving people the benefit of the doubt

Old
06-07-2012, 10:07 PM
Bloumeister
Food Court Jester

Quote:
You'd wonder about people if you saw half the stupid **** I delete on here any given day. You learn to stop giving people the benefit of the doubt
Someone I know once deleted a large chunk of his blogposts on MySpace (yeah, I'm that old) to "clear space on his PC"

Bloumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 10:11 PM
Alexdaman

I bump the videotron limit every month average: 150G. I'm OK with the fees that come with buy 30G blocks at 15$ a piece which you can buy by just by login in you user account in videotron's website.

Bell as more advantageous deals when it comes to limits but they service is slower from 5pm to 7pm and if you have 2 persons using the internet at the same time and one is downloading torrents or whatever the service really slows down a perk that videotron has is that Cable service is based on a whole street so the speed always remains kind of the same and comes down to what to what your router can afford not what bell gives you.

A few Ontarian companies will offer even better deals than bell for consumation but the downside is that the internet is not as strong and can have various issues such as bugs and all.

My advice is keep videotron and get the most expensive package and add space if you need to.

Alexdaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 10:20 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexdaman View Post
I bump the videotron limit every month average: 150G. I'm OK with the fees that come with buy 30G blocks at 15$ a piece which you can buy by just by login in you user account in videotron's website.

Bell as more advantageous deals when it comes to limits but they service is slower from 5pm to 7pm and if you have 2 persons using the internet at the same time and one is downloading torrents or whatever the service really slows down a perk that videotron has is that Cable service is based on a whole street so the speed always remains kind of the same and comes down to what to what your router can afford not what bell gives you.

A few Ontarian companies will offer even better deals than bell for consumation but the downside is that the internet is not as strong and can have various issues such as bugs and all.

My advice is keep videotron and get the most expensive package and add space if you need to.
Why would he stay with Videotron or go to Bell when he could get cheaper service and unlimited with an indy company?

Old
06-07-2012, 10:31 PM
Alexdaman

Quote:
Why would he stay with Videotron or go to Bell when he could get cheaper service and unlimited with an indy company?
The signal isn't as strong and there is often several issues such as bugs or drop of signal for no real reasons, I'm a gamer and I watch streaming movies + download torrents, games... I'm willing to pay for better quality and I believe he's in the same situation as I am.

Old
06-07-2012, 10:32 PM
phlla12

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonCH View Post
Stop playing Diablo3 or whatever the flavor of the day is?
Unfortunately for me, it's not video games. I need to sync my laptop with a specific and large dataset for analysis quite frequently and this eats through bandwidth.

Quote:
You've used up 40 Go in a week?
Pushing 2,000 GB per month isn't out of the question

Quote:
I looked at TekSavvy but I don't think they provide service in my location. I'll check out the others and call TekSavvy tomorrow.

Quote:
Unfortunately their top package won't suffice and I don't feel like paying $200 CAD + the extra bandwidth charges. I'll check out Bell as the slow down won't be an issue, neither will a bug here or there. But if we're talking about serious performance issues to the point where Skype would not be reliable (within reason obviously) I'll have to have a think on.

Quote:
Valid point. In fairness, Videotron has been rock solid and the speeds are great... the bandwidth cap just blows.

Thanks for the help everyone

phlla12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 10:37 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexdaman View Post
The signal isn't as strong and there is often several issues such as bugs or drop of signal for no real reasons, I'm a gamer and I watch streaming movies + download torrents, games... I'm willing to pay for better quality and I believe he's in the same situation as I am.
You realize that the indy companies just resell the exact same service that Bell and Videotron charge extra for, right? I run a small computer repair business and on top of that I used to do a TON of customer satisfaction surveys for Bell and Videotron at a firm here in Montreal. You're kidding yourself if you think Bell or Videotron takes care of their customers, and you're cheating yourself out of a fair bit of coin at the same time.

Old
06-07-2012, 10:38 PM
Alexdaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlla12 View Post

I looked at TekSavvy but I don't think they provide service in my location. I'll check out the others and call TekSavvy tomorrow.
A friend of mine as it, bandwith great but the bugs and drops are an issue for him. But that might be the right thing for what youre looking for, or bell since they offer better bandwith than videotron...

Old
06-07-2012, 10:39 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloumeister View Post
Someone I know once deleted a large chunk of his blogposts on MySpace (yeah, I'm that old) to "clear space on his PC"
I'm reminded of a funny post I once say on bash.org. One guy downloads a song from someone on napster. The first guy then sees that the second guy he downloaded from is downloading the exact same song the first guy downloaded from him! So the first guy says ' What are you doing, I just downloaded that from you' and the second guy goes, " taking my song back *******'.

Never. Be. Surprised.

Old
06-07-2012, 10:40 PM
Alexdaman

Quote:
You realize that the indy companies just resell the exact same service that Bell and Videotron charge extra for, right? I run a small computer repair business and on top of that I used to do a TON of customer satisfaction surveys for Bell and Videotron at a firm here in Montreal. You're kidding yourself if you think Bell or Videotron takes care of their customers, and you're cheating yourself out of a fair bit of coin at the same time.
I don't really need costumer service at least if something major were to happen which didn't for years now... Bell definitely sucks but videotron does just fine although they are a little picky on payment plans.

Old
06-07-2012, 10:43 PM
Fredd

I'd suggest Electronic Box if your looking for unlimited bandwidth. Their unlimited bandwidth plan is $56.95 a month. Only downfall, it's 8Mbps, so not the greatest of speeds, but probably good enough for what you need it for.

http://www.electronicbox.net/en/mont...net/cable.html

Fredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 11:09 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredd View Post
I'd suggest Electronic Box if your looking for unlimited bandwidth. Their unlimited bandwidth plan is $56.95 a month. Only downfall, it's 8Mbps, so not the greatest of speeds, but probably good enough for what you need it for.

http://www.electronicbox.net/en/mont...net/cable.html
I think the problem with Ebox is that it's not offered in many regions. Generally TS and Acanac are the ones who cover the mainstream areas. There's also Colba but I've heard some very mixed reports on them.

Old
06-08-2012, 01:15 AM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Acanac has never caused me any problems and the customer service is great.

I have unlimited download, but the speed is only 5 Mbps. It doesn't bother me, I can download all night, stream, play games and it doesn't slow down. The speed only affects how long it takes to get my games (my friend could get something in 1 hour that it would take me 2-2.5) etc.

No complaints, you should go with them, I don't think you need a contract either.

Jack Bourdain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 02:01 AM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain View Post
Acanac has never caused me any problems and the customer service is great.

I have unlimited download, but the speed is only 5 Mbps. It doesn't bother me, I can download all night, stream, play games and it doesn't slow down. The speed only affects how long it takes to get my games (my friend could get something in 1 hour that it would take me 2-2.5) etc.

No complaints, you should go with them, I don't think you need a contract either.
Only problem with Acanac that a few people have noted (I really don't mind it, I prefer it, in fact) is that you pay your year up front.

You should consider upgrading to the 16mbit profile, jack. It's only about 150/year more (I think) and the difference is staggering when you've been couped up in a pre-2000 download profile of 5mbit. Makes a difference in NHL 12 latency

Old
06-08-2012, 03:27 PM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Only problem with Acanac that a few people have noted (I really don't mind it, I prefer it, in fact) is that you pay your year up front.

You should consider upgrading to the 16mbit profile, jack. It's only about 150/year more (I think) and the difference is staggering when you've been couped up in a pre-2000 download profile of 5mbit. Makes a difference in NHL 12 latency
Awesome! You see, when I paid up front (in December, my 3rd year with them), they didn't offer those speeds. I think I might settle for the "Silver" 12 Mbps, save a few bucks in case the tuition fees rises !

Old
06-08-2012, 03:37 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Awesome! You see, when I paid up front (in December, my 3rd year with them), they didn't offer those speeds. I think I might settle for the "Silver" 12 Mbps, save a few bucks in case the tuition fees rises !
Yeah, the high profiles are new. I think that TECHNICALLY you are throttled down to 8mbps or something during peak hours(7-10), but many in the community (myself included) never feel the bump down. It's supposedly normal, they actually only do it when absolutely necessary.

Old
06-08-2012, 03:40 PM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Yeah, the high profiles are new. I think that TECHNICALLY you are throttled down to 8mbps or something during peak hours(7-10), but many in the community (myself included) never feel the bump down. It's supposedly normal, they actually only do it when absolutely necessary.
Yeah in any case, they always have a Tunnelier set up to bypass any throttling but I seem to get same speeds with or without Tunnelier, so it means the bump isn't significant.

Old
06-08-2012, 03:42 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Yeah in any case, they always have a Tunnelier set up to bypass any throttling but I seem to get same speeds with or without Tunnelier, so it means the bump isn't significant.
Yeah but this is Acanac that needs to traffic shape to stay under certain tariffs imposed by bell, so Tunellier doesn't work. Either way, I avoid downloading at that time anyway as that's reserved for gaming. I download to my heart's content any other time. And even 8mbit feels like you're going down the high way compared to 5mbit. Also, even if you don't upgrade, you should do some speed tests, you should be getting 6 mbit (with overhead discounted) as all 5mbit profiles were bumped up province wide.

Old
06-08-2012, 03:46 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

For me, in Ontario teksavvy sucked.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 03:46 PM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Yeah but this is Acanac that needs to traffic shape to stay under certain tariffs imposed by bell, so Tunellier doesn't work. Either way, I avoid downloading at that time anyway as that's reserved for gaming. I download to my heart's content any other time. And even 8mbit feels like you're going down the high way compared to 5mbit. Also, even if you don't upgrade, you should do some speed tests, you should be getting 6 mbit (with overhead discounted) as all 5mbit profiles were bumped up province wide.
Will do! Didn't know about their tarriffs, that would make sense. And I'm the same way, no downloads between 5-12pm because it's when everyone at the apartment uses the internet. Also nothing beats Concordia's constant 3 MB/s dl speed.