HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers interested in Justin Schultz as a free agent

Closed Thread

Old
06-08-2012, 10:30 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Schultz is 100% NHL ready as far as his game and his brain are concerned. His strength is the only question. And i don't think its much of a question because of how he plays.
Didn't we say the same thing about Erixon?

06-08-2012, 10:31 AM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
lol true.

Old
06-08-2012, 10:34 AM
bogans

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
You can argue, but the fact is that is exactly what he was for virtually the entire season.

Do you think that you can get an upgrade that is affordable and STILL have the same high upside?
He was not playing from the right side most of the season and was completely ineffective when put over there on both ends of the ice.

Old
06-08-2012, 11:08 AM
Kreider Typical
flex

wrong thread

Old
06-08-2012, 11:48 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Don't you know, Singin'? Prospects come along all the time who can make the leap.

Gilroy was 100% ready as well. The fact of them matter is that defensemen take longer time to develop than forwards. And those defensemen that can make a jump straight from college or juniors are even fewer and farther between. Penciling in an Erixon or a Schultz into the top-4 for next year is just silly. Almost as silly as beginning to count on a player how is not even a Ranger.

Old
06-08-2012, 11:48 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogans View Post
He was not playing from the right side most of the season and was completely ineffective when put over there on both ends of the ice.
He is 21 years old with LOTS of room for growth. And LOTS of room to learn.

Old
06-08-2012, 01:12 PM
Pizza

Quote:
Yep. What I've been saying.

To go back to an earlier post, I trust our guys now. More so than I can remember trusting Rangers brass in a long.....long time.

I've seen a whole lot more from Erixon than I've seen of Schultz....as a matter of fact I've never seen Schultz play. But what I've seen tells me Erixon will be a good if not very good NHLer some day soon.

If our guys think Schultz is worth the cap space, I'd be hard pressed to disagree at this point. That is considering the track record Gorton, Clark & Co. are accumulating.

Old
06-08-2012, 01:18 PM
bogans

Quote:
He is 21 years old with LOTS of room for growth. And LOTS of room to learn.
Hence why he would bring so much value back in a trade. The concept of a trade is very rarely to get rid of a guy, usually it is to trade value for a position of strength (NYR defense - in particular the left side) in exchange for value in a position of weakness (scoring - in particular a big bodied winger). I am not particularly fond of trading Del Zotto, but he is the most expendable and valuable asset that can bring in what this team needs to win right now.

Old
06-08-2012, 01:25 PM
McRanger

Quote:
Hence why he would bring so much value back in a trade. The concept of a trade is very rarely to get rid of a guy, usually it is to trade value for a position of strength (NYR defense - in particular the left side) in exchange for value in a position of weakness (scoring - in particular a big bodied winger). I am not particularly fond of trading Del Zotto, but he is the most expendable and valuable asset that can bring in what this team needs to win right now.
Not advocating moving MDZ, but this is a point that is often overlooked on the board.

Not every roster move is a "dump". To get value to have to give value.

Old
06-08-2012, 01:59 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Hence why he would bring so much value back in a trade. The concept of a trade is very rarely to get rid of a guy, usually it is to trade value for a position of strength (NYR defense - in particular the left side) in exchange for value in a position of weakness (scoring - in particular a big bodied winger).
I understand that. My point is that 21 year old defenseman that can be trusted to play a top-4 role, and have lots more upside and are affordable, are so rare, that a return is likely to pale in comparison for the future.

Old
06-08-2012, 02:32 PM
bogans

Quote:
I understand that. My point is that 21 year old defenseman that can be trusted to play a top-4 role, and have lots more upside and are affordable, are so rare, that a return is likely to pale in comparison for the future.
I'm not trying to internet fight here, but I am not advocating trading MDZ for an unproven commodity, I want to move he and Dubinsky in exchange for Bobby Ryan. And I am a fan of Dubinsky as well, if I had my way, that would Anisimov rather than Dubi, but I am trying to propose reasonable transactions.

Old
06-08-2012, 02:45 PM
clmetsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRanger View Post
Not advocating moving MDZ, but this is a point that is often overlooked on the board.

Not every roster move is a "dump". To get value to have to give value.
The McDonagh trade sure does seem to have spoiled a lot of people.

Old
06-08-2012, 03:30 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Erixon played in the NHL and played extremely well in the AHL.

Because he didn't play a full NHL season yet, diminishes the value of acquiring him?

Again, had you actually read what i posted instead of looking to be a confrontational wise ass, i said he will most likely get a good amount of AHL experience before playing in the NHL anyway because of the lockout that's coming.

Old
06-08-2012, 03:38 PM
Pizza

Quote:

Because he didn't play a full NHL season yet, diminishes the value of acquiring him?

Again, had you actually read what i posted instead of looking to be a confrontational wise ass, i said he will most likely get a good amount of AHL experience before playing in the NHL anyway because of the lockout that's coming.
I don't think people are diminishing Erixon or your take on things. I think people are trying to point out that on this board expectations & projections get a little out of hand at times.

I personally don't see you as an example of some one who does that.

Your take on Kreider for example, has been pretty spot on so far.

Old
06-08-2012, 03:40 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:

It doesn't diminish the value of acquire him (I never said it did). It should, at the very least, being a cautionary tale for penciling prospects into a starting line up of an NHL team.

And really, that comment was being a confrontational wiseass? It was one of the more non confrontational comment in this thread.

Old
06-08-2012, 03:50 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
It doesn't diminish the value of acquire him (I never said it did). It should, at the very least, being a cautionary tale for penciling prospects into a starting line up of an NHL team.

And really, that comment was being a confrontational wiseass? It was one of the more non confrontational comment in this thread.
I apologize then.

But its been a little ridiculous around here lately. So its hard to tell what intentions are.

Signing Schultz would be huge. To get a player like this you either need a top five pick or need to trade away a considerable amount of assets.

We need to upgrade the offensive output from the team overall and he would help.

I was wrong about Gilroy, that's fine. If scouts all got it right 100% of the time we'd have 30 champions every year.

Schultz is stronger than Erixon. And a better skater.

But again, he may get the luxury of a couple months of AHL play before the NHL season starts. And because of the lockout that experience will be against mostly NHL players.

Theres literally no downside.

I don't think the money should be a concern. Was my original point.

I mean, people want to throw money (4+ million) at Radulov's feet knowing what kind of person and player he is. Schultz shouldn't be a concern.

Old
06-08-2012, 04:16 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
I apologize then.

But its been a little ridiculous around here lately. So its hard to tell what intentions are.

Signing Schultz would be huge. To get a player like this you either need a top five pick or need to trade away a considerable amount of assets.

We need to upgrade the offensive output from the team overall and he would help.

I was wrong about Gilroy, that's fine. If scouts all got it right 100% of the time we'd have 30 champions every year.

Schultz is stronger than Erixon. And a better skater.

But again, he may get the luxury of a couple months of AHL play before the NHL season starts. And because of the lockout that experience will be against mostly NHL players.

Theres literally no downside.

I don't think the money should be a concern. Was my original point.

I mean, people want to throw money (4+ million) at Radulov's feet knowing what kind of person and player he is. Schultz shouldn't be a concern.
Agree with your thoughts on Schultz. But why are you less objective when it comes to Radulov then?

You see that Schultz is a low risk, high reward scenario.

Why do you refuse to acknowledge that Radulov is also low risk/high reward? You keep saying he doesn't improve our team. It just doesn't make sense, IMO. We need talented guys like him. This overblown baggage and the situation on NSH has made the price of acquiring him extremely low. We should be all over this.

Old
06-08-2012, 04:22 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Because Schultz doesn't have a black rainy cloud hovering over his head following him around.

Schultz is a good kid. Im not saying what he's doing to Anaheim is wonderful. But he hasn't done anything else in career to suggest bad character.

Unfortunately everywhere Radulov has gone there's been some kind of controversy.

Old
06-08-2012, 04:33 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Look at it this way. There is going to be a lockout but the young players will still be allowed to play in the AHL. They were allowed to play in 2004-05. Eric Staal played in the AHL that year after playing in the NHL in 2003-04. Hopefully the Rangers can sign Schultz and he will get any seasoning he needs out of the way. Kreider,Erixon and Thomas will be there. Maybe even Miller too. They will be many good young players in the AHL if/when there is a lockout. Those players gain the experience they need and are ready for the NHL when the season begins in the winter.

Old
06-08-2012, 04:34 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Look at it this way. There is going to be a lockout but the young players will still be allowed to play in the AHL. They were allowed to play in 2004-05. Eric Staal played in the AHL that year after playing in the NHL in 2003-04. Hopefully the Rangers can sign Schultz and he will get any seasoning he needs out of the way. Kreider,Erixon and Thomas will be there. Maybe even Miller too. They will be many good young players in the AHL if/when there is a lockout. Those players gain the experience they need and are ready for the NHL when the season begins in the winter.
That's what Im thinking.

Old
06-08-2012, 05:07 PM
LordsCup*

From articles and comments, its very known that the kid already knows where he is going and will sign with that team in July 1st.

McKenzie is saying he thinks he is going to a Canadian team. Bob has better resources then most in the hockey world. Obviously something has leaked out that he is going to Toronto (or somewhere else).

I think at this point its very far fetched to think he will be a Ranger. Despite him being friends with Stepan and McD.

Old
06-08-2012, 05:23 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Its speculation.

Old
06-08-2012, 05:38 PM
McDonagh
Slow it down 30GHz

vCash: 1350
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
I think that was huge for the 2003 class.

Old
06-08-2012, 05:41 PM
LordsCup*

Quote:
Its speculation.
Yes, but he doesn't speculate unless he is hearing chatter. Obviously its not set in stone.

Old
06-08-2012, 05:55 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordsCup View Post
From articles and comments, its very known that the kid already knows where he is going and will sign with that team in July 1st.

McKenzie is saying he thinks he is going to a Canadian team. Bob has better resources then most in the hockey world. Obviously something has leaked out that he is going to Toronto (or somewhere else).

I think at this point its very far fetched to think he will be a Ranger. Despite him being friends with Stepan and McD.
If true, it's likely Toronto.

Closed Thread