HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 NHL Entry Draft Talk Part 16 : One week left!

Closed Thread

Old
06-08-2012, 04:41 PM
overlords
Hfboards

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
You compete within your division. Your job is to not only better your own team but try to stay ahead of those teams in your division first, conference second, league third.

Toronto is missing a 1st line center. At 5, there might not be one available. At 3, youre damn certain there is. Youre going to trade back and let your division rival scratch their biggest itch (coencidentally, your own biggest itch) and think it wont be a big deal?

You dont think Toronto will be regretting for the next 15 years that THEY put Seguin and Hamilton in their own division?
I think the only way the habs do it is if they think the guy they really want (more so than Galchenyuk, let's say) will be there at 5. And I don't see the leaf's giving up Gardiner to move up, which is the only piece from them I'd really want.

Old
06-08-2012, 04:44 PM
onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunners14henry View Post
Had a really vivid dream last night that the habs drafted reinhart at #3 last night
Well, it's a good thing the draft is on June 22nd and not last night.

Old
06-08-2012, 04:47 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
I think the only way the habs do it is if they think the guy they really want (more so than Galchenyuk, let's say) will be there at 5. And I don't see the leaf's giving up Gardiner to move up, which is the only piece from them I'd really want.
Yeah, if the Leafs are willing to bleed themselves dry, then who are we to deny them.

...but I don't think we'd be getting Gardiner.

I think, as usual, the price to move up just a few spots will be too high, and all this noise will be much ado about nothing.

Old
06-08-2012, 04:48 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Life is better with a pissed off Burke.

I want to see the cut scene after we draft Galchenyuk to Burke shaking his head and screaming "DUDLEY!!!!!"

Old
06-08-2012, 04:49 PM
Jabba11
Hockey Lobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
I've always felt Rielly was a Timmins kind of player. Fantastic skating defenceman with superb offensive skills. He has more upside than Murray. But I wonder if his defensive play really improved this season; that was the only real knock on him. To me, defence is the easier side to learn. You just need to understand positioning. Murray might be the best defenceman right now, but his lack of offence is a little worrisome. He could turn into a Bouwmeester. Now, that's not such a terrible thing, but he might always leave teams wanting more. We've seen Subban develop his defensive game in the Habs system, so Rielly would have a shot too.
Agreed. Plus, I find that Rielly looks pretty much NHL ready. Physically, he looks like a beast: 6ft 197 lbs

http://video.oilers.nhl.com/videocen...sole?id=180106

Old
06-08-2012, 04:50 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:

I want to see the cut scene after we draft Galchenyuk to Burke shaking his head and screaming "DUDLEY!!!!!"
DUDDLLLLEEEYYYY!!!!

Old
06-08-2012, 04:50 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
I see the Rags taking Matteau with their 1st rounder
So they can beat the Devils in the playoffs again ?

Old
06-08-2012, 04:52 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:

Damn, well now you've sold me on it.

Old
06-08-2012, 04:54 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Exactly guys.

My scenario is amazing.

Old
06-08-2012, 04:55 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Oh man, if TSN doesn't show Burke's face if we pick Galchenyuk, I'm calling them to complain.

Old
06-08-2012, 04:56 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverAlone View Post
Oh man, if TSN doesn't show Burke's face if we pick Galchenyuk, I'm calling them to complain.
We should just have them re-purpose the crosby cam and have a picture-in-picture view of Burke at all times. I really don't want to miss any of the lulz.

Old
06-08-2012, 04:57 PM
Lebowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
Not allowing Toronto to dictate the top 5 of the draft is political for most. It shouldn't matter. This should be a chess game. However, as we discovered this year, hockey politics is very real for fans of Montreal.

We're always used to getting what's left over. Every UFA season, every trade deadline, the big name is always going somewhere else, Montreal is never in contention, and if we are, we almost always have nothing to show for it. Most people want us to pick at 3rd, or earlier because we finally get to pick our guy, it's our turn. Even if, realistically, we could end up even better by trading down.
Exactly. It's very real for fans, and that's where it should stop. Like I said, Bergevin isn't here to make the popular choice, he's here to make the right choice. Remember Price in 05? Also, there's no indication whatsoever that Galchenyuk will or is a superior prospect to say, Forsberg. Trading down, in a way that still allows us to draft one of our top guy, is what I call a smart move. Enough with the political, egomaniac crap, even if that's why we're fans after all.

Quote:
You compete within your division. Your job is to not only better your own team but try to stay ahead of those teams in your division first, conference second, league third.
Of course, but like I said, trading down doesn't mean we allow the Leafs to draft Sidney Crosby. That would give them the chance to draft a player who haven't played at all as a 17 years old. That's a major difference. Not only would we be, I'll say it again, able to draft *our* guy at 5, we would also get assets from Toronto, likely a guy like Luke Schenn. So if, say, we get Forsberg at 5, THE guy Timmins wanted, and we add to that a guy like Luke Schenn, how are we weakening ourselves compared to a division rival? Again, if Bergevin and his team feel like it is better for OUR team to trade up or down, so be it.

Quote:
Toronto is missing a 1st line center. At 5, there might not be one available. At 3, youre damn certain there is. Youre going to trade back and let your division rival scratch their biggest itch (coencidentally, your own biggest itch) and think it wont be a big deal?
Except no one knows if Galchenyuk will ever become a first line center. There's also Grigorenko that will be available at 5, a guy that was ranked 2nd for most of the year and only started to fall after his injuries, and Forsberg, who's half ranked as a center. None of them is more of a sure thing than Galchenyuk, and Galchenyuk is not any more of a surefire superstar than any of Grigorenko or Forsberg. You're putting too much stock into the draft position itself, rather than the player available at the said position.

Even in our own fanbase, some people prefer Murray, Grigorenko, Forsberg or Terevainen over Galchenyuk, so it's not as if we are seriously compromising our future by trading our pick to Toronto. I'd rather call it a calculated risk that has a high, very high chance of turning in our favor, not only if our player (Even Galchenyuk might be available at 5) turns out better than the one the Leafs pick at 3, but also the additional assets that can turn out into solid players.

Quote:
You dont think Toronto will be regretting for the next 15 years that THEY put Seguin and Hamilton in their own division?
Of course they will, but everybody knew that was a stupid move from day 1, plus, there's absolutely no way to compare the Kessel trade with the hypothetic scenario of trading down 2 spots in a draft.

Old
06-08-2012, 05:00 PM
onice

Quote:
We should just have them re-purpose the crosby cam and have a picture-in-picture view of Burke at all times. I really don't want to miss any of the lulz.
You forget it's TSN: Toronto Sports Network. It'll be Burke 23h45 min/7.

Last edited by onice: 06-08-2012 at 05:11 PM.
Old
06-08-2012, 05:03 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
That's a great idea actually.

Old
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

I am especially against it if all we are getting out of it is Luke ****ing Schenn.

Gimme a break.

Toronto has one thing I want from them, their 2013 first. We're not getting that. So they can **** off.

Old
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix60 View Post
Exactly. It's very real for fans, and that's where it should stop. Like I said, Bergevin isn't here to make the popular choice, he's here to make the right choice. Remember Price in 05? Also, there's no indication whatsoever that Galchenyuk will or is a superior prospect to say, Forsberg. Trading down, in a way that still allows us to draft one of our top guy, is what I call a smart move. Enough with the political, egomaniac crap, even if that's why we're fans after all.
Like I said, if Toronto wants to bleed themselves dry publicly, who are we to deny them?

If it's for a slight advantage, or even a hypothetical one, I say just pick your guy.

Old
06-08-2012, 05:04 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Remember when TSN showed Burke when LA drafted Brayden ? Good times.

Old
06-08-2012, 05:05 PM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

QP's wishlist

Fillip Forsberg
Alex Galchenyuk
Mikhail Grigorenko
Teuvo Teravainen

Stéfan Matteau
Timothé Bozon
Dalton Thrower
Nicolas Kerdiles
Chritoval 'Boo' Nieves
Michael Matheson

Lukas Sutter
Anton Slepyshev
Scott Kosmachuk
Patrick Sieloff
Scott Laughton

Charles Hudon
Francis Beauvilier
Mark Jankowski
Dillon Fournier

Zakhar Arzamastsev
Raphaël Bussières
Alexandre Mallet
Seth Griffith

Christopher Clapperton
Étienne Marcoux
Matt Murray
François Tremblay

Old
06-08-2012, 05:06 PM
Lebowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
Like I said, if Toronto wants to bleed themselves dry publicly, who are we to deny them?
Not sure what you meant by that

Quote:
If it's for a slight advantage, or even a hypothetical one, I say just pick your guy.
Well, obviously, but it all comes down to Timmins' rankings. If his guy is Terevainen (say in hindsight Terevainen really is the best option we have), would you rather trade down and add additional assets or just pick him at 3 when you know he's gonna be available at the very least at the 5th spot?

Old
06-08-2012, 05:07 PM
sheed36

Quote:
I am especially against it if all we are getting out of it is Luke ****ing Schenn.

Gimme a break.

Toronto has one thing I want from them, their 2013 first. We're not getting that. So they can **** off.
I haven't been around much today but as there been talk of the Habs and Leafs swapping picks?

Old
06-08-2012, 05:10 PM
onice

Quote:
Exactly guys.

My scenario is amazing.
WTK, your picks for the third spot were:

Gally
TT
Forsberg.

With any one of those three you'll cream your coffee.

So what if the Oilers pick The Nail and the Blue Jackets pick Murray. What is wrong with giving Burke our 3rd and he gives us his 5th and one of either Gardiner, Schenn or even Kadri?

You get one of the three players you mentioned and on top ofthat you get a pretty decent prospect.

Now this all depends on Timmins' evaluation. If believes the three players you mentioned have similar projections, I would do it. If he favors one of those players, then I would ask for more from Burke. His 5th, Gardiner and Schenn or Kadri.

Old
06-08-2012, 05:11 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Remember when TSN showed Burke when LA drafted Brayden ? Good times.

Old
06-08-2012, 05:11 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post

Gally
TT
Forsberg.

So what if the Oilers pick The Nail and the Blue Jackets pick Murray. What is wrong with giving Burke our 3rd and he gives us his 5th and one of either Gardiner, Schenn or even Kadri?

You get one of the three players you mentioned and on top ofthat you get a pretty decent prospect.

Now this all depends on Timmins' evaluation. If believes the three players you mentioned have similar projections, I would do it. If he favors one of those players, then I would ask for more from Burke. His 5th, Gardiner and Schenn or Kadri.
Heès not going to give up Gardiner for 2 spots. That is not happening.

Schenn or Kadri dont entice me at all.

Old
06-08-2012, 05:13 PM
Lebowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post

Gally
TT
Forsberg.

Pretty much my reasoning as well, except there's no way you get their 5th, Schenn + Gardiner or Kadri. I doubt they'd even ship to 5th + Gardiner for the 3rd to begin with.

I personally don't want anything to do with Kadri. I don't feel like he's going to amount to much. Luke Schenn, I'd like. He should turn out into a solid stay-at-home defenseman, be it on the 2nd or 3rd pair. Then we wouldn't need to go out there looking for a FA to fill our needs on the back-end.

Old
06-08-2012, 05:16 PM
onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix60 View Post
I doubt they'd even ship to 5th + Gardiner for the 3rd to begin with.
Well, we can ask. If he says no, we can tell him to wait for his turn at 5th. That should be good for a burst of steam out of his nostrils.

Closed Thread