HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Jarret Stoll appreciation thread

Old
06-08-2012, 04:34 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

vCash: 500
Wouldn't mind him back if he took a pay cut, but he needs to be better during the regular season and perform as he has during these playoffs. Not having him play out of his position like Terry Murray had him doing (playing RW for parts of the season) will surely help him.

He's one of the more physical players on the team, which unfortunately results in some untimely minor penalties. If he can clean up some parts of his game, he'd be a lot more effective. He's been a huge part of the PK unit and the checking line has really come up big at times with some dominant puck containing shifts.

A three to four year deal paying him $3M per year seems fair. When he was paid $3.6M he was expected to be a #2 C, which he clearly isn't.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 05:29 PM
took420s

How can anyone consider Lokti "ready"? Every time I have seen him brought up he seems timid and ineffectual, but maybe it was due to Murray? Did lokti get any burn under Sutter? He's beginning to remind me of Moller, too good for AHL not strong enough for the NHL.

*edit* Stoll proved his worth he stays as long as the cap hit is "fair".

took420s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 05:47 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by sw1tch View Post
Even if Stoll doesnt re-sign, which i think he will, no chance Loktionov takes his place, the guy just isnt ready. Either the Kings go after someone similar in free agency, or Lewis will play 3rd line C and will learn how to become a true shutdown centreman freeing up alll the top 6 for offence
I agree that Lewis is a better option for 3rd line center than Loktionov. Lewis has really stepped up his physical play in the playoffs. He just needs to work on his faceoffs.

Loktionov will be traded sooner than later, probably on draft day for a mid-round pick. Just doesn't fit with the Kings long term plan with Kopitar, Carter and Richards signed long term

Richards could always slide into the 3rd line center role down the line if the Kings get another LW/RW for the top 6.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 05:59 PM
DoktorJeep
Original Bandwagoner

Herby's right, you have to look at the whole body of work. Stoll has been here for 4 years, and while his offensive output was bad this year, the same could be said about plenty of other Kings.

I think if you have to choose between Penner and Stoll, you go with Stoll. As a #3 center, he has started to show he can perform in the role, so it is just a matter of price point. I don't see any other centers in the Kings org who would be a better fit than Stoll at the #3 center spot in terms of checking, faceoffs and penalty killing than #28. I like Lokti a lot, but I don't see him excelling on this team, especially with the style Sutter likes his players to employ.

Personally, I could see the Kings do the following in the offseason:

1. Resign Stoll to a 3 year, $11.5M contract
2. Let Penner walk
3. Trade Voynov & Bernier for a 1st rounder + extra bodies for Manch
4. See Muzzin capture a spot on the opening day roster
5. Resign Fraser for a reasonable amount

DoktorJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 06:08 PM
Puck U
2012 SC CHAMPIONS !

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoktorJeep View Post
Herby's right, you have to look at the whole body of work. Stoll has been here for 4 years, and while his offensive output was bad this year, the same could be said about plenty of other Kings.

As a #3 center, he has started to show he can perform in the role, so it is just a matter of price point. I don't see any other centers in the Kings org who would be a better fit than Stoll at the #3 center spot in terms of checking, faceoffs and penalty killing than #28. I like Lokti a lot, but I don't see him excelling on this team, especially with the style Sutter likes his players to employ.
... agreed

Quote:
2. Let Penner walk
1. I think he MAY take less to remain here, he enjoys the LA lifestyle now, and see we'll be a winning team for the next several years.

2. I think we resign Penner ... same as situation as Stoll, he wants to remain in So Cal.

3a. Trade Voynov .... HUH ? ummm NO not happening

3b. Trade Bernier for a 1st rounder + extra bodies for Manch ... yes please

4. See IF Muzzin and/or Hickey can capture a spot on the opening day roster, if not Trade w/ Bernier for extra bodies for Manch

5. Resign Fraser for a reasonable amount ... meh, I'd be fine either way, if cheap cool, if not Lewis can take that spot.

Puck U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 07:52 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Why would anyone want to trade Voynov?

Old
06-08-2012, 08:03 PM
bobafettish*

cause we getting suter

bobafettish* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 08:30 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobafettish View Post
cause we getting suter
Suter is a lefty. Martinez would have to go for Suter.

Old
06-08-2012, 10:08 PM
Puck U
2012 SC CHAMPIONS !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Suter is a lefty. Martinez would have to go for Suter.
But if we overspend for Suter, we can't overspend for Parise.

Puck U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 12:44 AM
DoktorJeep
Original Bandwagoner

I personally think that AMart deserves a shot at more minutes next year, everyone was saying how good he has been in the playoffs this year, right? Plus Muzzin brings size and a heavy shot,and a year with Willie Mitchell allowed the Kings to swap JJ for Carter. I'm not saying to flip Slava for Grant Fuhr, but a package of Bernier, voynov and a pick could bring back a nice return. My friend bob tells me to always sell high.

DoktorJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 12:44 PM
Brad Doty
Compliance Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
Why the need to call me out?

He was woefully miscast for 3 seasons as a 2nd line center which was unfair to him, but he didn't exactly play well either. He was awful this season in every role he played, terrible as a 3rd line center, terrible as a 2nd line center again when Richards was out and terrible as a 2nd line winger.

I have already said his play in the playoffs has been extraordinary, especially based on how awful he has been his entire time here.

I have already said I am a bit torn on what to do with both him and Penner, I feel like you should reward and try and keep the team together (should they win the cup), but at the same time you can't fall in love with guys based on a hot playoff run, you have to take in the entire body of work, and Penner and especially Stoll's entire body of work doesn't warrant each signing contracts similar to what they have now.

If Penner and Stoll are willing to accept one year deals and prove they are committed to playing well and putting in an effort for a full season then we can talk long term contract, at the same time, if someone is willing to throw money at them based on what they have done in these past 18 games then more power to them. The Kings have their best player and their captain to sign in the next couple of years, and with an uncertain CBA and cap it's hard to commit so much money to guys who did nothing most of te year.
Sorry this is from some time back, but I read the bolded paragraph and immediately had Derek Armstrong flashbacks.

The right player in the wrong role.

Brad Doty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 12:46 PM
Brad Doty
Compliance Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
I am guessing you mentally blocked the horrid memories of Hunter and Moreau.
*twitch*

Brad Doty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 12:57 PM
Kingler

I hope he comes back. He's a great 3rd line choice. Loktionov will not supplant Stoll. Its not a question of being ready or not. They play different role and Loktionov isn't the shutdown guy on PK or to take end zone face-off

I view Lewis as more of a Stoll replacement if anything. So if Stoll goes, its going to be King-Lewis-Nolan, 3rd line or something like that. I rather have some veteran present in our bottom 6

Kingler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 05:21 PM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:

I think if you have to choose between Penner and Stoll, you go with Stoll. As a #3 center, he has started to show he can perform in the role, so it is just a matter of price point. I don't see any other centers in the Kings org who would be a better fit than Stoll at the #3 center spot in terms of checking, faceoffs and penalty killing than #28. I like Lokti a lot, but I don't see him excelling on this team, especially with the style Sutter likes his players to employ.

2. Let Penner walk
No way in hell is that happening. Good thing you're not the GM.

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 05:23 PM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck U View Post
3b. Trade Bernier for a 1st rounder + extra bodies for Manch ... yes please

Why? LA is not rebuilding.

You don't trade needed pieces of a Cup winning team for picks and "extra bodies" for your minor league team.

Old
06-09-2012, 05:24 PM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
I personally think that AMart deserves a shot at more minutes next year, everyone was saying how good he has been in the playoffs this year, right? Plus Muzzin brings size and a heavy shot,and a year with Willie Mitchell allowed the Kings to swap JJ for Carter. I'm not saying to flip Slava for Grant Fuhr, but a package of Bernier, voynov and a pick could bring back a nice return. My friend bob tells me to always sell high.
Trading Voynov does not give AMart more minutes. Do you even watch this team?

Old
06-09-2012, 05:25 PM
Live in the Now
YNWA

Awards:
What I think about trading Voynov/Bernier for scraps and/or a first is best left unsaid, that's how little sense I think that makes.

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 02:32 AM
Willard
Kings All The Way

We are totally lucky to have not just one but 2 high-quality very young righty puck moving D's like Doughty and Voynov in our top two defensive pairings. This is a genuine rarity. No other team, I mean NO other team in the NHL has this. There are many reasons not to trade Voynov, this is most definitely a key one.

Would pretty much every GM in the NHL love to swipe Voynov from us for table scraps, you better believe they would. "Foolish" would be an inadequate word to describe trading Voynov.

Speaking of Stoll, since this is the Stoll appreciation thread, he has never played better as a King than now in these playoffs. He has been a major key to the Kings success these last few weeks, which I still find hard to believe, in a good way. He has finally found his place as 3rd line center, I would expect him to be retained by the Kings.

Last edited by Willard: 06-10-2012 at 02:38 AM.
Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 01:45 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
I thought Stoll and Williams were the 2 best King players yesterday. I guess the rest of the team took the game off.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 05:41 PM
funky

Stoll has been awesome when used in his rightful position. he is a classy guy and likes the L.A lifestyle so hopefully 3 years around 3.2 would fit. Hopefully he is here next year

funky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 05:51 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
I thought Stoll and Williams were the 2 best King players yesterday. I guess the rest of the team took the game off.
When Stoll is your top performing center, that isn't good news because it means Kopitar and Richards are invisible. Stoll should never be the best kings center unless he scores at least two goals.