HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Good, the Bad, and the Matt Carle

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-08-2012, 07:24 PM
  #101
tuckrr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,602
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawkins121 View Post
Have the Flyers seemingly shrinking chances of signing Suter (Lidstrom's retirement, rumors of Suter wanting to stay West, rumors of Jagr re-signing, etc.) affected anyone's opinion on whether they want to re-sign Carle or not?
I still absolutely want to take a run at Suter. But if he asks for more than 7.5 or has no interest in joining the flyers, we pretty much need to retain Carle if we want to stay competitive.

tuckrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 08:21 PM
  #102
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 48,612
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckrr View Post
I still absolutely want to take a run at Suter. But if he asks for more than 7.5 or has no interest in joining the flyers, we pretty much need to retain Carle if we want to stay competitive.
The salary cap was 50 million when we signed Timonen at 6.3 mil, which was 12 percent of our available cap space. If the cap goes up to 73 million as some predict (It is 73, right?) and we sign Suter for 7.5, that alone would be 10 percent of our salary cap...equivalently less than Timonen got. We could probably offer him a little over that if we really need to/Homer decides it's worth it. Homer likes spending extravagantly, so he might decide to do that.

As far as past precedent goes it wouldn't be shocking if we were to sign him for 7.5-8 million. It would certainly make our cap situation more interesting than it already is. Could that cost us Voracek, Simmonds, or both down the road? Others? I don't know, and it's vodka martini time so I'm going to stop with this math crap before I hurt myself. I'll let others ponder that.

__________________
Down in the basement, I've got a Craftsman lathe. Show it to the children when they misbehave.
Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 08:25 PM
  #103
VanSciver
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,302
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Invictus View Post
The salary cap was 50 million when we signed Timonen at 6.3 mil, which was 12 percent of our available cap space. If the cap goes up to 73 million as some predict (It is 73, right?) and we sign Suter for 7.5, that alone would be 10 percent of our salary cap...equivalently less than Timonen got. We could probably offer him a little over that if we really need to/Homer decides it's worth it. Homer likes spending extravagantly, so he might decide to do that.

As far as past precedent goes it wouldn't be shocking if we were to sign him for 7.5-8 million. It would certainly make our cap situation more interesting than it already is. Could that cost us Voracek, Simmonds, or both down the road? Others? I don't know, and it's vodka martini time so I'm going to stop with this math crap before I hurt myself. I'll let others ponder that.
It was a different situation then with the Cap. The Flyers weren't tight to the Cap and had plenty of space.

VanSciver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 08:26 PM
  #104
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 48,612
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanSciver View Post
It was a different situation then with the Cap. The Flyers weren't tight to the Cap and had plenty of space.
Yeah, that's the big sticking point now. We don't have the flexibility we had...Detroit does.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 08:33 PM
  #105
tuckrr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,602
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Invictus View Post
Yeah, that's the big sticking point now. We don't have the flexibility we had...Detroit does.
I'm all for spending..but I'd rather wait to blow our load on Weber...Do we really want to have suter for 7-8 years at 7.5mil? (maybe...but its so freaking risky)
edit: and I'd really rather not lose voracek.


Homer's also gotten a lot better at making the cap-hit manageable through long term contracts (see: Pronger, Richards, Carter...albeit richie/carter weren't UFAs. But you get the Idea)

I think if Suter wants to win, 6.5 mil over 9 years should be what he takes. Look at kovalchuks contract

tuckrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:38 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.