HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Official Prudential Center, Surrounding Area & Season Ticket Thread

Closed Thread

Old
06-08-2012, 08:26 AM
cj225
Work in Progress...

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to cj225
The Official Prudential Center, Surrounding Area & Season Ticket Thread

To be updated shortly...

Old
06-08-2012, 12:55 PM
Devils Dominion
Conte's Critic

Would be nice to see some large creative Pro-Devils signs brought to Champ Plaza pregame, they will be on tv in the NHL Network pregame show that runs from 6-8pm.

Old
06-08-2012, 10:04 PM
Nick0930

How safe is the walk at night from the arena to Newark Penn Station? Also, how safe is it inside the train station between midnight and 1:30? Any good bars nearby to chill out for a bit after the game?

Old
06-08-2012, 10:08 PM
BenedictGomez
#FireDeboer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick0930 View Post
How safe is the walk at night from the arena to Newark Penn Station? Also, how safe is it inside the train station between midnight and 1:30? Any good bars nearby to chill out for a bit after the game?
Very safe (it's about a 5-Iron if you take the inside walkway).

Very safe (lots of cops)

Good is subjective. There are a few okay places right next to the arena (like <100 feet) Brick City Bar & Grill and Loft 47.

Old
06-08-2012, 10:09 PM
Nick0930

Awesome. Thanks.

Old
06-08-2012, 10:10 PM
DevilChuk*
(not that -chuk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
Very safe (it's about a 5-Iron if you take the inside walkway).

Very safe (lots of cops)

Good is subjective. There are a few okay places right next to the arena (like <100 feet) Brick City Bar & Grill and Loft 47.
There's also more than enough people who walk on the streets after the game that there's never any problems. I've started doing that because the walkway is a little longer and more annoying.. it's really only about 3-4 blocks.

Old
06-08-2012, 11:45 PM
BigBlueAndRed

Restaurant reviews

I've been trying to experience the local food outside the arena before games. I'll try to keep this updated as I try new places.

Dinosaur Bar-B-Que
Address: 224 Market St (attached to Championship Plaza, cross with Mulberry)
Phone: 862-214-6100
Menu: http://dinosaurbarbque.com/locations/newark/menu.aspx
Price: $$$

A traditional BBQ place, very nice atmosphere and good food. Highly recommend reservations on game day if you plan to go before or after the game.

Food I recommend: Korean Style Beef BBQ Ribs, 2-meat combo platter, Garlic Chipotle wings

Uber Burger
Address: 9 Lafayette St (Opposite end of Prudential Center from Championship Plaza, cross with Mulberry)
Phone: 973-757-6657
Menu: http://theuberburger.com/Uber_Menu_W...9x16-12810.jpg
Price: $$

Burger joint, like a 5 guys or Fuddruckers type place. Open seating so no reservations necessary.

Food I recommend: Mesquite Bacon Burger w/Matchstick Fries

Hobby's Deli
Address: 32 Branford Place (bit further from the Rock, walk down Edison Pl, make a quick left then right down Branford Place 1 block)
Phone: 973-623-0410
Menu: http://www.hobbysdeli.com/menu.html
Price: $$

Traditional deli, lots of Devils fans go here. This is next on my list, so hopefully I'll update this soon.

Food I recommend: Coming soon

Old
06-09-2012, 10:18 AM
cj225
Work in Progress...

Yeah I haven't had a chance to update the first post yet...when I get back to work Monday I will try to do that.

Old
06-12-2012, 07:18 PM
DevilChuk*
(not that -chuk)

STHs/those who thought about getting STH-

I'm thinking about getting full seasons.. what are some of the things you took into account when deciding to buy or not to buy tix? Other than cost i'm saying, since that's an obvious. How many games do you have to attend for it to even be worth it? What other perks are there? Are they significant enough to warrant being a STH? etc.

I really want to buy seasons, on some level just to support the team, since I loved my PAWP experience.. so would love some advice on making the jump.

EDIT: I know people are going to say not to make decisions based on a deep run like this.. but it was less of the result of the game than the general awesome feeling it was to "own" certain seats, get to know those around me and be able to bring friends, etc. to MY seats. Obviously not depending on a SCF run every year to get "value" out of the seats I got out of my PAWP..

Old
06-12-2012, 08:06 PM
drewbee30

I was a weekend plan holder for 4 years. Jumped to full season last year. I'll keep it short and simple, if you can afford it, make the jump! You'll be glad you did!

Old
06-12-2012, 08:11 PM
severian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewbee124 View Post
I was a weekend plan holder for 4 years. Jumped to full season last year. I'll keep it short and simple, if you can afford it, make the jump! You'll be glad you did!
if you're making every game coming from brick, then you are one committed fan. gotta take you at least an hour and fifteen each way.

Old
06-12-2012, 08:14 PM
BenedictGomez
#FireDeboer

Quote:
Originally Posted by severian View Post
if you're making every game coming from brick, then you are one committed fan. gotta take you at least an hour and fifteen each way.
That reminded me, the first year at The Rock, the STH next to me came from just outside Philly!

It was a once-in-a-lifetime thing for them though, young couple that knew they were about to have a baby in about a year, figured it would be their only shot at being STH for a LONG time, etc.... Nice people.

Old
06-12-2012, 08:23 PM
DevilChuk*
(not that -chuk)

would be able to make nearly every weeknight game.. weekends much less likely.

Old
06-12-2012, 08:25 PM
drewbee30

Quote:
Originally Posted by severian View Post
50 minute drive no traffic. I made 35 reg season games and all but one playoff game. My job allows me 3 months off from decemeber thru march, so I trained it most of the time then. 2 hours (which sucked), but saved me an a$$load of money.

Old
06-12-2012, 08:30 PM
Luke3026
When you're burned..

I'm in a similar boat with devilchuk. I've considered season tickets for several years. I could probably swing it in one of the cheaper sections. But it's just be a single since I don't know anyone else who'd go in with me on a pair. So selling a single ticket upstairs for games I can't make would be pretty tough. I could probably make most games, but I'd also need a nj transit fast pass since I'm a $20 round trip to Newark. It has been a dream of mine since I was a kid to be a STH. I'll probably let this sting of this loss wear off before I make a decision.

Old
06-12-2012, 11:25 PM
DevilChuk*
(not that -chuk)

Anyone have any tips?

I think I'm going to do it depending on quality of seats I can get.. might not be great considering all the new STH they probably got recently.

Old
06-12-2012, 11:33 PM
zap14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke3026 View Post
I'm in a similar boat with devilchuk. I've considered season tickets for several years. I could probably swing it in one of the cheaper sections. But it's just be a single since I don't know anyone else who'd go in with me on a pair. So selling a single ticket upstairs for games I can't make would be pretty tough. I could probably make most games, but I'd also need a nj transit fast pass since I'm a $20 round trip to Newark. It has been a dream of mine since I was a kid to be a STH. I'll probably let this sting of this loss wear off before I make a decision.
Bingo, when I bought two season tickets I knew I would have have trouble filling the other seat every night but surprisingly it hasn't been that bad selling a single on the secondary market.

Old
06-13-2012, 12:01 AM
Mr.Krinkle
Pod 6 is Jerks

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilChuk View Post
would be able to make nearly every weeknight game.. weekends much less likely.
I'll sell you my weeknight games and split the perks.

Not even joking....yeah i was a dick yesterday but like I said, drunk angry and misreading...So, my take....

I've had seasons since they opened the building. I was unmarried, living in Hudson County and working in NYC.

Now?

Married, with a kid, work in central jersey and live in Monmouth county.

Last year and the year prior I had a ***** of time getting rid of weekday games, it's amazing how few people want to pay even STH cost for a Wednesday night against Toronto. Even back when I got back to back seasons of "Double your season tickets" there were games when I stood in the box office and just handed people going up to the joint to buy day of tickets a pair for free. So if you're going to go for a full season, plan to make every single game otherwise you're just handing money over to the Devils.

And that's what it is, it's a cost versus value thing. By putting the money up front, are you getting proper value back? This year, I'd say it was a wash - yeah we got some cool little perks , the meet n greets and the suite ice cream party for a game - the practice was a bust b/c it was a work day, so was the player awards (which I now know is always a work day), the owner's luncheon (that was pretty neat) . You have to put a pricetag on those events. Luckily I did - as I sold some tickets for 2 of em for roughly 50 bucks a piece.

Now, between that and the tickets I ate or nearly gave away, I could've bought a few pairs of clubs for some games, had great seats and eaten like a pig. It paid dividends come playoffs because of the run we made and the pricing I got, but as you noted - if you went PAWP or just got on the train for the playoff strips, you got nearly the same deal.

It's a delicate balance there. A lot of it is an emotional investment, it's nice to say "Yeah I got season tix" and feel part of the bigger picture. There's also the comfort level, you always know where you're going in the building and you know pretty much everyone around you in your section.

Just my 2 cents, and this year I was on the verge of not renewing for next season, but we did. Hopefully this run will make those nights we cant find a babysitter easier to unload.

Old
06-13-2012, 12:14 AM
DevilChuk*
(not that -chuk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Krinkle View Post
I'll sell you my weeknight games and split the perks.

Not even joking....yeah i was a dick yesterday but like I said, drunk angry and misreading...So, my take....
Don't worry about last night.. I'm going to think about it in the next day or so (also sent an email to a Devils rep about it, I want to see what seats they have left at the various price points I was considering).. can you send me a PM with the info for your seats though (location, price, 2 seats?)? I seriously might take you up on that offer..

Quote:
Last year and the year prior I had a ***** of time getting rid of weekday games, it's amazing how few people want to pay even STH cost for a Wednesday night against Toronto. Even back when I got back to back seasons of "Double your season tickets" there were games when I stood in the box office and just handed people going up to the joint to buy day of tickets a pair for free. So if you're going to go for a full season, plan to make every single game otherwise you're just handing money over to the Devils.

And that's what it is, it's a cost versus value thing. By putting the money up front, are you getting proper value back? This year, I'd say it was a wash - yeah we got some cool little perks , the meet n greets and the suite ice cream party for a game - the practice was a bust b/c it was a work day, so was the player awards (which I now know is always a work day), the owner's luncheon (that was pretty neat) . You have to put a pricetag on those events. Luckily I did - as I sold some tickets for 2 of em for roughly 50 bucks a piece

Now, between that and the tickets I ate or nearly gave away, I could've bought a few pairs of clubs for some games, had great seats and eaten like a pig. It paid dividends come playoffs because of the run we made and the pricing I got, but as you noted - if you went PAWP or just got on the train for the playoff strips, you got nearly the same deal.
Right, that's what I'm worried about.. whether I'd be spending around the same money I did anyways but at the same time, not get the quality of seats I did for some of the games that I did attend this year. Because when only looking to go to ten games, $$ i was willing to spend per game was much higher...

I probably have a unique problem in that I can make weekdays but not many weekends.. so I'm not sure whether it will be significantly easier for me to sell my weekend tickets at STH price (I never followed stubhub this year outside of the games I bought). Because if I could get decent seats (I'm kind of considering the $49 price point, that's where my PAWP seats were and I loved it) and not eat that much money overall.. that'd be awesome. I'd pay $50 to go sit where I sat in the playoffs for any Devils game.. weekday night against Toronto or not. Thought 41+ games at $50 would be a little crazy.. idk.

Does anyone have experience selling Friday/Saturday (Sunday will be much easier for me to attend usually) on stubhub/ticket exchange??

Because I think if I was assured I could sell the weekends without having to invest so much time monitoring stubhub and without having to eat any tickets.. I'd do it.

Also, playoffs wise, what was the STH discount compared to PAWP? Was it the same?

Quote:
It's a delicate balance there. A lot of it is an emotional investment, it's nice to say "Yeah I got season tix" and feel part of the bigger picture. There's also the comfort level, you always know where you're going in the building and you know pretty much everyone around you in your section.

Just my 2 cents, and this year I was on the verge of not renewing for next season, but we did. Hopefully this run will make those nights we cant find a babysitter easier to unload.
PAWP gave me that and it was awesome. Knowing I had tickets to every single game, the 'pride' I felt leading friends/family to my seats, getting to know everyone in my section a little bit... etc.
Thanks for the post, very helpful. Sorry about last night, again

Last edited by DevilChuk*: 06-13-2012 at 12:20 AM.
Old
06-13-2012, 12:16 AM
DevilChuk*
(not that -chuk)

Also, can any STH talk about the dynamic of having a Devils rep in your corner?

Not to get inside info or anything, but just the ease of contact to someone inside the organization for any problems, issues or whatnot..

Old
06-13-2012, 01:16 AM
BenedictGomez
#FireDeboer

Quote:
Anyone have any tips?
Yes, put together an Excel spreadsheet with the seat category (i.e. box price + STH price for the seats you're considering) and see how many games it takes to eat (cant attend or cant resell) before you've 100% eroded the savings of being a Devils STH, which obviously the #1 reason for having ST.

This is a key financial concept of the tickets, that amazingly, almost nobody does. I'm shocked how many people miss 10/41 games (or more) and yet they think they're saving money.

One thing you'd have going for you, as I mentioned the last time you asked about ST, is the fact you dont want to go to weekend games. It is much easier to sell those games than the Wednesday (worst attendance day) night game against Columbus or Tampa. So if you really do want to attend all those weekday games, and sell off all your Friday, Saturday, Sunday games, there's a good chance you might even make a profit.

Quote:

Not to get inside info or anything, but just the ease of contact to someone inside the organization for any problems, issues or whatnot..
I was a STH for 5 years before this one, and I never talked to a rep once. Never had a problem. IMO, if you're one of the STH that's constantly contacting badgering a Devils ticket rep, you're probably the problem and not the solution, and in the immortal words of Forrest Gump, "that's all I'm a gonna say bout' that".

Old
06-13-2012, 01:28 AM
DevilChuk*
(not that -chuk)

Quote:
Yes, put together an Excel spreadsheet with the seat category (i.e. box price + STH price for the seats you're considering) and see how many games it takes to eat (cant attend or cant resell) before you've 100% eroded the savings of being a Devils STH, which obviously the #1 reason for having ST.

This is a key financial concept of the tickets, that amazingly, almost nobody does. I'm shocked how many people miss 10/41 games (or more) and yet they think they're saving money.
It's late, but didn't really follow this completely lol. Oh wait, you're talking about fully eating the tickets..

So pretty much, take the difference between box office and STH price for 41 games in my price point (i.e. STH savings) and divide it by my price point. That number would be how many games I can completely miss and not resell and still get value (or really, the same value) doing season tix.

Quote:
One thing you'd have going for you, as I mentioned the last time you asked about ST, is the fact you dont want to go to weekend games. It is much easier to sell those games than the Wednesday (worst attendance day) night game against Columbus or Tampa. So if you really do want to attend all those weekday games, and sell off all your Friday, Saturday, Sunday games, there's a good chance you might even make a profit.
I completely forgot I already asked about STH, crazy you remember it haha! Something I have always wanted and thought about, now I have some buying power to do it and also had an amazing experience with PAWP..

I wonder if I should look into the partial plans. To me, the weekday partial plan seems like a waste of money though, given that you're not paying a significantly different price per game than the weekend plan.. you're pretty much doing seasons and giving the Devils back the better games.

Being able to sell the weekends at least at STH value would be awesome because like I said.. I'd gladly pay the STH price for where I sat in the playoffs for any given game. Getting full seasons would increase the overall $$$ I spend (obviously) but roughly double the games I attend (probably triple) and then all the other associated perks would be pretty awesome.

Quote:
I was a STH for 5 years before this one, and I never talked to a rep once. Never had a problem. IMO, if you're one of the STH that's constantly contacting badgering a Devils ticket rep, you're probably the problem and not the solution, and in the immortal words of Forrest Gump, "that's all I'm a gonna say bout' that".
Hmm at the same time, while one would hope you'd have no problems/issues to talk to your rep about, the rep would still reach out to you every now and then. I don't want a rep so I can complain, but having someone who's just an email away is always nice.. I've seen a few of the STHs on these boards constantly help out around here (especially in tickets thread) with some info they find out from their reps.. that kinda stuff.

If you don't mind me asking, why'd you give up seasons? Because you couldn't attend enough games to make it financially worthwhile?

I think I'm going to end up doing it. Next year is the last year for awhile I think I'll be able to commit to going to so many games.. kind of want the experience...

Old
06-13-2012, 08:18 AM
cj225
Work in Progress...

Quote:

My dad and I deal with Samantha Gaven on a consistent basis. She has been absolutely fantastic and I've also sent quite a few people from my section to her. She's always smoothed over any issues we've had and was a big help in getting me extra seats this season along the way.

Quote:
Well since you never had any problems, you didn't need to. However, there are certain things that arise or that you need to contact them for so if you speak to a specific person it is much easier when there are problems.

Old
06-13-2012, 08:56 AM
severian

any news on an equipment sale/draft party? with the devils keeping the 1st round pick and a pumped up fanbase it should have a sick turnout. doesn't look like there is anything going on at the rock next friday to stop the devils for holding one.

Old
06-13-2012, 08:59 AM
Luke3026
When you're burned..

Some good info for the number crunchers amongst us:
http://www.inlouwetrust.com/2011/8/2...e-game-tickets

Closed Thread