HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Paul Martin - which teams could be interested?

Old
06-08-2012, 03:28 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

vCash: 500
The Ducks need another middle pairing defenseman to balance out their D pairs and could also use a legit 2nd line C to bump Koivu to 3rd line duties.

Ship off Jordan Staal and Paul Martin to Anaheim for Bobby Ryan and a throw in. Penguins acquire the top flight scoring winger they've been in search of and clear some cap space, the Ducks get the #2 C they are in need of and a mid pairing defenseman who can play with Fowler.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 03:36 PM
TorstenFrings
wieder zuhause!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
The Ducks need another middle pairing defenseman to balance out their D pairs and could also use a legit 2nd line C to bump Koivu to 3rd line duties.

Ship off Jordan Staal and Paul Martin to Anaheim for Bobby Ryan and a throw in. Penguins acquire the top flight scoring winger they've been in search of and clear some cap space, the Ducks get the #2 C they are in need of and a mid pairing defenseman who can play with Fowler.
The Ducks apparently do not want Staal, becuse he'll be UFA the same time as Perry and Getzlaf. Considering the raises these three would then command, I am thinking Martin is a real non-starter for a budget team.

TorstenFrings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 03:39 PM
TorstenFrings
wieder zuhause!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MISC View Post
Ballard
Alberts

For

Martin
Kennedy/Dupuis
Personally I am not even completely opposed to getting another project player in return, but it would have to be in an area of need (wing). What about the OP suggested to you that Pens wanted two more defenders???

TorstenFrings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 03:44 PM
PenguinTommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupNazi View Post
Except that deal would have to happen at the draft this year, and not the deadline.
Oh yeah, my bad.. I meant at the draft, of course

I still think there will be a market for Martin if he's officially available.

PenguinTommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 03:46 PM
Ishad

What are the terms of Martin's limited ntc.

Ishad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 04:06 PM
Dylonus

Put it this way, Martin has no business in Pittsburgh's system.

He's not aggressive and he's not mobile enough to pinch without being in trouble defensively. He's better in a zone, not man coverage.

Somewhere like Tampa, he'll be awesome. Somewhere like Pittsburgh, he's screwed.

Pittsburgh is looking to build their farm. A late 2nd would be something Pittsburgh would be comfy with. If it's a 3rd + 5th or something along those lines, that'd be even better.

For the poster asking, his No MOVE clause is he has to list 8-10 teams before the season starts. He can not be traded there under any circumstance. I don't think he'd allowed to be placed on waivers / sent down to the minors either.

Dylonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 04:25 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylonus View Post
Put it this way, Martin has no business in Pittsburgh's system.

He's not aggressive and he's not mobile enough to pinch without being in trouble defensively. He's better in a zone, not man coverage.

Somewhere like Tampa, he'll be awesome. Somewhere like Pittsburgh, he's screwed.

Pittsburgh is looking to build their farm. A late 2nd would be something Pittsburgh would be comfy with. If it's a 3rd + 5th or something along those lines, that'd be even better.

For the poster asking, his No MOVE clause is he has to list 8-10 teams before the season starts. He can not be traded there under any circumstance. I don't think he'd allowed to be placed on waivers / sent down to the minors either.
I'd give a 3rd and a depth prospect or AHL veteran. A Correy Potter or Theo Peckham type (who are NHLers in Edmonton, but really, they are AHL caliber). I'd wager that Edmonton isn't on that 10 team list though.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 06:41 PM
Devilsfan92
4 8 15 16 23 42

I sure am glad the Devils aren't holding him back anymore, now we can really see his full potential.

Devilsfan92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 06:52 PM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:

We have no space and almost as little need for Martin, actually. The guy we have to play with Fowler is Beauchemin, and those two have been a very good fit. Our defense with those two, Visnovksy, Sbisa and Lydman is rather set, and there certainly is nowhere near enough room (especially financially, budget-wise, but also depth-wise) for a contract like Martin's for a mid-pairing guy. It's a complete non-starter. I personally am not a fan of the Ryan/Staal idea, either, but that's a matter for a different thread.

Vipers31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 07:15 PM
Model T

When I see a thread started by a fan who wants to see a player from his team shipped out, where the only people arguing this player is good cheer for the team he's already on, and there's no more than lukewarm interest from other fans so long as he doesn't cost anything, AND the stats indicate the player has been declining for years... Yeah I'm not investing in your venture.

Model T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 07:44 PM
Oroku Saki*
Pete Hearts Volch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsfan92 View Post
I sure am glad the Devils aren't holding him back anymore, now we can really see his full potential.
50 pts, 25 on the pp now that he's outta Jersey. *Mind you, this was Devils posters saying the same thing*

Oroku Saki* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 07:47 PM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volchenkov28 View Post
50 pts, 25 on the pp now that he's outta Jersey. *Mind you, this was Devils posters saying the same thing*
I don't know why some people thought 50 points were a possibility for Martin, anybody who has watched a lot of him could see that he didn't have the high ended offensive skills to put up numbers like that.

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 07:51 PM
Sidney the Kidney
All zee Germans!

vCash: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsfan92 View Post
His numbers have been lower than I was expecting, but I don't think many (key word) Pens fans were expecting 50+ points or anything like that. I do think we were hoping for 35+ points, though, which is where the disappointment comes in.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 07:53 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:

Whoever told you that didn't know what they were talking about.

Exit Dose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 07:54 PM
wej20

Having everyone healthy fingers crossed would help him get 35 next year if he's still a Pen.

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 07:55 PM
Oroku Saki*
Pete Hearts Volch

Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
I don't know why some people thought 50 points were a possibility for Martin, anybody who has watched a lot of him could see that he didn't have the high ended offensive skills to put up numbers like that.
Oh, I don't know why. And I forgot to add Norris winner.

Oroku Saki* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 07:57 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model T View Post
When I see a thread started by a fan who wants to see a player from his team shipped out, where the only people arguing this player is good cheer for the team he's already on, and there's no more than lukewarm interest from other fans so long as he doesn't cost anything, AND the stats indicate the player has been declining for years... Yeah I'm not investing in your venture.
The people that cheer for the team are also the only ones that watch him the most. The others are basing opinions on far less. Some Pens fans may be disingenuous about their opinion of him. I can't speak for all of them. He is certainly a whipping boy within the fan base because of his soft/finesse style. That doesn't make him a bad player though. He just doesn't play a style that endears him to the fans.

His stats aren't that bad. He's basically always been and still is a plus player that scores around 30 points and plays loads of minutes. The advanced numbers are a mixed bag. His GA20 stat has been declining according to an earlier post but I believe his corsi number was still good. I'm not sure the advanced stats are a good barometer of performance anyway. They are fairly new to hockey and it's debatable how useful they are in a team game. Very different from one on one pitcher/hitter stuff in baseball.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 08:54 PM
WarriorofTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
The people that cheer for the team are also the only ones that watch him the most. The others are basing opinions on far less. Some Pens fans may be disingenuous about their opinion of him. I can't speak for all of them. He is certainly a whipping boy within the fan base because of his soft/finesse style. That doesn't make him a bad player though. He just doesn't play a style that endears him to the fans.

His stats aren't that bad. He's basically always been and still is a plus player that scores around 30 points and plays loads of minutes. The advanced numbers are a mixed bag. His GA20 stat has been declining according to an earlier post but I believe his corsi number was still good. I'm not sure the advanced stats are a good barometer of performance anyway. They are fairly new to hockey and it's debatable how useful they are in a team game. Very different from one on one pitcher/hitter stuff in baseball.
Watch him the most but are also the most biased. Same thing Leafs fans say when they explain how great Komisarek could be on a different team. As for Martin, a puck moving DMan whose offensive numbers have declined upon joining Pittsburgh who has a very prolific offense? That's not good.

WarriorofTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 09:13 PM
Model T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post

Above poster kind of beat me to it- Pens fans watch him the most, and outside of threads trying to deal him away, they tell me he sucks. Also the Pens do play 82+ games a season against other teams, he doesn't seem to have stood out to opposing fans while doing so either... Again, I admit to going on secondhand reports and numbers here rather than directly witnessing him but when the only people I see praising him have a vested interest in pumping his tires (albeit "vested interest" only in this game we play pretending to be GMs), it kind of puts me off. I'm much more willing to give some benefit of the doubt when I see a fanbase upset that their fellow fans are trying to sell a player off their team, or when I see other fanbases coveting that player.

Just my thoughts though, obviously carry on.

Model T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 10:23 PM
The GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoundCake View Post
I could see Tampa interested if the price is right.
What about Ryan Malone for Martin?

The GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 11:12 PM
JackFr

Quote:
Originally Posted by The GM View Post
Idk... I'm afraid to break up Kunitz - Malkin - Neal... what the Penguins want is cap space to make a move for Parise for Crosby.

JackFr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 07:58 AM
SIDGENO8771

Quote:
Done

Then we could trade Malone or put him with Geno, and put Neal/Kunitz with Sid. Dont worry Sid has chemistry with everyone.

SIDGENO8771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 08:10 AM
HoseEmDown

Quote:
No, this has been mentioned many times before and always the same answer from Bolts fans. Malone makes less and produces more, we also don't have anybody proven enough to replace him. If its Malone to Pitt Despres/Morrow would be what we are asking for in return.

HoseEmDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 08:12 AM
SIDGENO8771

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bugg View Post
I think he'd be a nice partner for Ryan Whitney. 32nd or Paajarvi?
For Paajarvi yes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinTommy View Post
My prediction is Tampa's 19th pick (Detroit) for Martin at the trade deadline.

Basically Kyle Quincey was traded for that pick, I don't think Martin is that worse than Quincey.

I would do that as well but at the draft.

SIDGENO8771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 09:31 AM
HoseEmDown

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinTommy View Post
My prediction is Tampa's 19th pick (Detroit) for Martin at the trade deadline.

Basically Kyle Quincey was traded for that pick, I don't think Martin is that worse than Quincey.
Your prediction will not come true. Quincey is 5 years younger, slightly bigger and more physical and average season offensive numbers are similar. Quincey wasn't on a bad contract and deals at deadline are overpayments. Tampa acquired Brewer who was a top pair and still is for a 3rd and prospect not even signed by StL. I would expect similar for Martin.

HoseEmDown is offline   Reply With Quote