HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > Mock Drafts
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Mock Drafts Mock drafts for fun and fantasy here.

Mock 1st Round 2.0

Old
06-08-2012, 11:51 PM
Zoidberg Jesus
Trotzkyist

vCash: 500
Mock 1st Round 2.0

I was going to do explanations for every pick, but I decided to stop after 15 because there's only so many ways you can write "BPA," and I don't think I need to describe these guys to anyone here. Anyway, here's my second attempt at a first round mock.

1) Edmonton: Nail Yakupov
Clear-cut best player available here, even though it's already an area of strength for the Oilers. I wouldn't be surprised to see them trade down from this pick.

2) Columbus: Ryan Murray
Honestly, defense isn't as big a need for the Jackets as many think. But this is a team that can't afford to miss here, so they take the safest player on the board. Of the three forwards they'd be thinking about here, all come with some real question marks. Galchenyuk has hardly played this year, which makes his late rise somewhat confusing. Grigorenko has (overblown) concerns about his compete level and the ever present Russian factor. Forsberg still has a lot of growing to do both physically and mentally, and his lack of production in the Allsvenskan is troubling. Murray is a virtual lock to be contributing within two seasons, and the Jackets will reach a little for that guarantee.

3) Montreal: Alex Galchenyuk
The choice between Galchenyuk and Grigorenko is too close to call in my opinion. It all comes down to the team's personal preference, and I think Galchenyuk is the name Bergevin will be calling on draft day. Don't ask me why.

4) New York: Filip Forsberg
The difference between Forsberg and Grigorenko is small enough in my opinion that the Isles can afford to eschew the BPA in favor of a player who better fills a need. Like the Jackets, their blueline isn't as bad as it seems with Donovan, De Haan, and Mayfield waiting in the wings, and their center depth will be much improved when Strome and Nelson graduate. They need a winger for Tavares more than anything, and Forsberg can be that guy if the Isles are patient.

5) Toronto: Mikhail Grigorenko
The Leafs take the last of the top forwards, and fortunately get the one that best suits their needs. I, personally, believe the mono story and think the criticisms of Mikhail are overblown. We all know how rarely Russian players are given the benefit of the doubt by the Canadian press.

6) Anaheim: Matt Dumba
This is a worst case scenario for the Ducks, as their primary need is to find some secondary scoring behind the RPG line. I think there's a decent chance they'd trade back at this point to somewhere they can get Teravainen or Faksa,but I'm not including trades in this mock. They'll take the BPA, the hard hitting, high scoring Dumba.

7) Minnesota: Morgan Reilly
Easy pick here, as need and BPA converge. There's no better source of offense from the blueline in this draft than Morgan Reilly. He reminds me a lot of Mike Green with his combination of mobility and accuracy, both when passing and shooting.

8) Carolina: Teuvo Teravainen
It seems to be the consensus amongst Canes fans that they'll be taking a forward with this pick, and I'd have to agree. They've got some nice prospects on the back end, but very little in the pipeline offensively. Teuvo is the BFA, and he'd look pretty nice on Staal's wing, provided he's given some time to fill out some more.

9) Winnipeg: Griffin Reinhart
The BPA at this point is too close to call between Reinhart and Trouba, so it comes down to who fills a need better for the Jets. I think the Jets have a player in Bogosian who is fast on his way to becoming what people hope Trouba will be, so he's more redundant than Reinhart. Reinhart's size will remind some of Byfuglien, but he doesn't use it as well (though he's significantly better defensively). Maybe with the addition of Reinhart, the Jets will finally move Byfuglien back to forward where he belongs.

10) Tampa Bay: Jacob Trouba
Like the Minnesota pick, this is a convergence of need and BPA. Trouba's well rounded game will be a big boost to the Lightning's defensive corps. They'll have to wait four years while he runs the blueline for my alma mater of course, but he'll be well worth the wait .

11) Washington: Radek Faksa
There's no clear cut BPA at this point, so the Caps pick for need here. Marcus Johansson may be the answer at 2C, but he looked better on the wing this year. If he makes that transition full time, the Caps have no one in the organization who can slot into the 2C now or in the future. Adding Faksa's size and two way ability to their prospect pool gives them someone an ideal fit at the position a few years down the road.

12) Buffalo: Zemgus Girgensons
I made the mistake of calling defense the Sabres' biggest need the last time I did a mock, but it's now clear that wing is where their prospect pool is weakest. It's a tough call between Girgensons and Collberg here, but Girgensons' size makes him a more attractive option for the Sabres.

13) Dallas: Cody Ceci
This is not how the Stars hoped the first 12 picks would play out, as all the top centers are gone and Gaunce is too much of a reach here. They go BPA and take Cody Ceci, who's a real total package player with no glaring weaknesses.

14) Calgary: Olli Maata
Close call for BPA here between Maata and Collberg, but the Flames have a much bigger need for a defender so Maata wins out. Like Ceci, Maata is another all around prospect but with more of a focus on the defensive side of the game. He's instantly the best defenseman in the Flames' pipeline.

15) Ottawa: Derrick Pouliot
Collberg is the best player on the board, but the Sens have a plethora of high quality forward prospects so they can affords to pick from a position of need instead. Pouliot is like a Morgan Reilly-lite. He needs some real work on his defensive game, but his skating and offensive ability are top notch.

16) Washington: Sebastian Collberg

17) San Jose: Brendan Gaunce

18) Chicago: Hampus Lindholm

19) Tampa Bay: Matt Finn

20) Philadelphia: Slater Koekoek

21) Buffalo: Tom Wilson

22) Pittsburgh: Pontus Aberg

23) Florida: Tomas Hertl

24) Boston: Martin Frk

25) St Louis: Nicolas Kerdiles

26) Vancouver: Ludvig Bystrom

27) Pheonix: Henrik Samuelsson

28) New York: Colton Sissons

29) Los Angeles: Phil DiGiuseppe

Zoidberg Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 12:13 AM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Solid mock.

You're right, that top 12 is probably the worst case scenario for the Stars. But we're fine with Ceci or Määttä.

Thank god not a single mock on here will be correct.

LatvianTwist is online now   Reply With Quote