HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Notices

Stars asking Willie Desjardins to become Head Coach in Texas (AHL)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-08-2012, 09:35 AM
  #1
BigG44
Registered User
 
BigG44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 20,601
vCash: 475
Stars asking Willie Desjardins to become Head Coach in Texas (AHL)

This seemed big enough for it's own thread.

Mike Heika has confirmed with several sources that the Dallas Stars are talking with Desjardins about becoming the next head coach of the Texas Stars (AHL).

This is an option we've all discussed in the past, and I think it would be a very good move should Desardins be willing to make the change.

This probably also allows Dallas to add a veteran assistant or associate coach to the NHL roster.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 10:46 AM
  #2
Starsdude
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 3,523
vCash: 500
Only if he gets to bring his whiteboard

Starsdude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 11:52 AM
  #3
TrillMike
Registered User
 
TrillMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 3,917
vCash: 500
That would help teach the kids the system.

TrillMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 12:07 PM
  #4
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator
 
LatvianTwist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Houston
Country: Tibet
Posts: 17,891
vCash: 157
Was it him who screwed up the PP and the PK at one point? I can never remember if it was him or Jerrard.

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 12:16 PM
  #5
MetalGodAOD
Moderator
Star Rangers
 
MetalGodAOD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 11,673
vCash: 746
I'd be OK with this.

Quote:
Was it him who screwed up the PP and the PK at one point? I can never remember if it was him or Jerrard.
Gulutzan has always ran the PP afaik.

MetalGodAOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 12:31 PM
  #6
glovesave_35
Name
 
glovesave_35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: South Korea
Country: United States
Posts: 14,597
vCash: 250
Good organizational move if it happens.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 12:42 PM
  #7
piqued
Global Moderator
victory green?
 
piqued's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Dallas
Country: United States
Posts: 30,617
vCash: 27750
Yep, that would be one way of making your AHL team play the same way as your NHL team. Only question is whether Willie will see this as an opportunity/promotion or the opposite.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 12:54 PM
  #8
BeaverSports
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 821
vCash: 500
Why would you take the most capable coach of the three off your NHL bench? Not wise.

BeaverSports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 01:01 PM
  #9
Mr Misty
The Irons Are Back!
 
Mr Misty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 3,177
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeaverSports View Post
Why would you take the most capable coach of the three off your NHL bench? Not wise.
There might be better options out there, like Cunnyworth or that guy who ran the Blackhawks pp?


Last edited by Mr Misty: 06-08-2012 at 01:07 PM.
Mr Misty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 01:05 PM
  #10
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller
 
Frozen Failure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Richardson, TX
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,410
vCash: 2111
Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Misty View Post
There might be better options out there, like Cunnyworth or that guy who ran the Blackhawks pp?
Cunneyworth would be a good AHL coach but he probably wants an associate job. Haviland is the same way. I think they should just have Gully and Willie have a cage match to see who should be the NHL coach.

Frozen Failure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 03:06 PM
  #11
Alistar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: Azores
Posts: 8,601
vCash: 500
Always kind of wondered what exactly Willie Desjardans was doing on the bench when Gully and Jerard got there - he didn't seem to have any obvious responsibility or control over any of the units. I think that the AHL would be a better place for him right now where he can showcase his coaching abilities and maybe take a job with another organization a few years down the line.

I'll be interested to see who they bring in to replace him. Both the PP and the PK are major areas for improvement.

Alistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 03:48 PM
  #12
BigG44
Registered User
 
BigG44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 20,601
vCash: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistar View Post
Always kind of wondered what exactly Willie Desjardans was doing on the bench when Gully and Jerard got there - he didn't seem to have any obvious responsibility or control over any of the units. I think that the AHL would be a better place for him right now where he can showcase his coaching abilities and maybe take a job with another organization a few years down the line.

I'll be interested to see who they bring in to replace him. Both the PP and the PK are major areas for improvement.
The PK is fine now. Jerard took over the PK mid-season, and that unit did a 180. IIRC, when the PK actually was bad, they were splitting the PK responsibility between Desjardins and Jerard. IDK if it finally going to just one voice or if Jerard wasn't being heard early in the season, but it turned in a dominant unit when he took control.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 04:22 PM
  #13
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator
 
LatvianTwist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Houston
Country: Tibet
Posts: 17,891
vCash: 157
Is there a coach available who can actually help out with the PP?

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 05:16 PM
  #14
starsfan24
#17 "Keep Rollin"
 
starsfan24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Denton, TX - UNT
Country: United States
Posts: 16,508
vCash: 995
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starsdude View Post
Only if he gets to bring his whiteboard
Dang, beat me to it.

starsfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 05:24 PM
  #15
Alistar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: Azores
Posts: 8,601
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
The PK is fine now. Jerard took over the PK mid-season, and that unit did a 180. IIRC, when the PK actually was bad, they were splitting the PK responsibility between Desjardins and Jerard. IDK if it finally going to just one voice or if Jerard wasn't being heard early in the season, but it turned in a dominant unit when he took control.
yeah the goals against went down and the shots / chances against somewhat down as well, but it still seemed to me like the Stars got caught in their end running around for the full 2 minutes way more than what is normal.

Maybe that's just the contrast between other teams on the PP and our godawful PP units that could hardly ever get into the attacking zone with possession.

Alistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 05:53 PM
  #16
Mr Misty
The Irons Are Back!
 
Mr Misty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 3,177
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistar View Post
yeah the goals against went down and the shots / chances against somewhat down as well, but it still seemed to me like the Stars got caught in their end running around for the full 2 minutes way more than what is normal.

Maybe that's just the contrast between other teams on the PP and our godawful PP units that could hardly ever get into the attacking zone with possession.
Yeah we got inflated expectations of how feeble other teams PPs were supposed to be

I thought our PK was decent, but the contrast between being average on the kill and awful on the PP probably inflated opinion of the PK's effectiveness.

Mr Misty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 11:33 PM
  #17
glovesave_35
Name
 
glovesave_35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: South Korea
Country: United States
Posts: 14,597
vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
Yep, that would be one way of making your AHL team play the same way as your NHL team. Only question is whether Willie will see this as an opportunity/promotion or the opposite.
Hopefully there are a lot of "big picture" discussions taking place. If he truly feels a part of the organization and buys into the big picture of what's going on then I don't see how it could be a negative. He would be coaching a ton of talented players roughly the same age as those he coached in juniors - a job he would seem fit to succeed in.

This crop that's coming through starting with this next season is in my mind where the hopes and dreams of the Dallas Stars' Cup chances are placed. It starts with guys like Benn and Eriksson but there obviously must be a ton of turnover with the supporting cast before this thing gets where it needs to be. That starts with proper development, internal player assessment, subsequent role definition, and realistic expectations based on how these prospects perform in those roles. Part of me feels like this group of prospects is too important to trust to an outsider, especially when an option like Desjardins exists.

One other thing is this could be a career saver because if things go sour this year with the big club it's possible the entire coaching staff gets the axe. Willie taking himself out of that picture and having success at the AHL level could save him from the chopping block and put him in line to be NHL head coach successor, or at very least a candidate.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:00 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.