HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Tampa to trade for Jonathan Bernier?

Old
06-09-2012, 12:37 AM
sayheykid

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Still All In View Post
Alright, after being concussed the third time and struggling over two years (which is more a product of goaltending coaching than anything) but alright.
Hey, I agree. Just saying the statement itself isn't false even if that wasn't what he was actually referring to.

sayheykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 12:43 AM
Drouin2Stamkos

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingCanadain1976 View Post
umm what experience bernier is older and played more seasons then connelly
Connolly

LIGHTNING 68 NHL games played

Bernier
*Career Totals (Full) 48 NHL games played

Looks like Connolly has the more in game NHL experience to me. Connolly would have played more if he wasn't in world Jrs.

And if you look at Berniers career totals its not so impressive win loss wise. .500 through ahl and Nhl with average stats. Connolly and 10 is way too much for TB to give up for Bernier. It's just not happening.

Last edited by Drouin2Stamkos: 06-09-2012 at 12:50 AM.
Drouin2Stamkos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 12:47 AM
KingCanadain1976

Bernier sat on nhl bench for two years after playing full years in ahl and team canada experience Bernier has more pro experience by far

KingCanadain1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 12:55 AM
KingCanadain1976

if u look up his win loss record he had a lack of goal support i think it was something like 8 goals scored in 9 of his starts I dont care who u put in net if u cant score u cant win. You cant really tell much from the stats of a goalie whos playing once every 3 weeks.

Old
06-09-2012, 01:01 AM
KingCanadain1976

his last ahl year stats were outstanding he was a allstar in the ahl

2009–10 Manchester Monarchs

AHL

58 games
30 wins
21 losses
6 ties
3424 mins
116 goal against
9 shutouts
2.03 gav
.936 sav percentage

Old
06-09-2012, 01:06 AM
Drouin2Stamkos

At least Connolly was PLAYING not sitting and watching. Talking about playing for their countries, mr. Connolly has played in 2009 world hockey challenge , 2009 IIHF worlds, memorial tourney 2009, 2010 IIHF worlds, 2011 world juniors and 2012 world juniors. All for good old Canada. You guys honestly need to research more. You obviously think us Tampa fans are idiots

Old
06-09-2012, 01:14 AM
Parise9Crosby87

im not to sold on connolly if tampa got bernier that would be pretty awesome for them

Parise9Crosby87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 01:26 AM
SKingsfan88

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanOberg View Post
Connolly

LIGHTNING 68 NHL games played

Bernier
*Career Totals (Full) 48 NHL games played

Looks like Connolly has the more in game NHL experience to me. Connolly would have played more if he wasn't in world Jrs.
But who's played more minutes?

SKingsfan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 01:26 AM
Drouin2Stamkos

I am sorry but a goalie that has only played 48 games total in his carrer is a huge risk, a lot bigger then a high prospect forward to me. All you have to do is look at tampa's history *cough*smith. Throwing in a young prospect basically the same way smith was, described on a high offensive team can rattle a guy. Look what happen to smith when he played in tampa and then when he left Tampa.

Old
06-09-2012, 01:31 AM
HoseEmDown

Let me try to clear things up, we need a goalie we aren't desperate for one. I know SY said he was gonna go out and get the young goalie for our future but I'm sure he's not gonna give up too much just to do it. Bernier isn't the only young goalie that can potentially be had. Im sure we can get a Lindback/Enroth for less than what some LA fans want for Bernier. Bernier isnt gaurenteed to be anything special and if he was he would've got more starts. Varlamov was more proven with playoff experience when he was traded hich made his value higher. So a return for Bernier should not include the 10th. I'm not saying we can't give the 10th up for anything cause we need the D we could get at that pick cause that player is still a few years away anyway. But to get the 10th it's gonna be + coming Tampa's way. I'm not trying to low ball other teams I'm just going by what the goalie market dictates, especially an unproven one.

HoseEmDown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 02:32 AM
SCARFACE909

Quote:
I am sorry but a goalie that has only played 48 games total in his carrer is a huge risk, a lot bigger then a high prospect forward to me. All you have to do is look at tampa's history *cough*smith. Throwing in a young prospect basically the same way smith was, described on a high offensive team can rattle a guy. Look what happen to smith when he played in tampa and then when he left Tampa.
The thing is Tampa would be dealing from a strength (forwards) for a weakness (goaltending). I don't think it's a stretch that a connolly for Bernier swap could work for both sides.

SCARFACE909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 03:08 AM
AWL

My perspective on a possible Bernier trade:

Right now, the pickings among available NHL-caliber goalies is slim, even more so now that Vokoun is off the market and Tim Thomas apparently wants to take next year off (and therefore Rask is unequivocally unavailable, if he wasn't already). Every one of them has drawbacks that should give a prospective acquirer pause. For example, Luongo comes with a lengthy contract and Harding would require outbidding a number of other teams, and that's if you feel he's a worthwhile acquisition to begin with. In that regard, Bernier is no different. I'd agree that he isn't as "proven" as some of the other options on the market, but he's hardly completely unproven either as some have baldly claimed. What Bernier has going for him is his pedigree as a former rather high first-round pick, his careful development in the Kings' system culminating in top AHL honors and the fact that so far, he definitely hasn't looked out of place at the NHL level. Playing behind Quick, in my opinion, he's done little to reduce his trade value, whatever it might be. If the argument is that Bernier has failed to beat out Quick for the starting nod, who else in this league would have this season?

So as this offseason approaches, how many better options are there for teams desperate for competent goaltending? The comparisons to Halak, Varlamov and others -- while relevant -- ignore the fluctuating values of goaltenders recently. I think it's fair to say goalies hit an historic low after Chicago won the Cup in 2010 with a barely-established Antti Niemi in goal. So much so that Chicago deemed Niemi expendable as a cap casualty, and two summers ago, Niemi could only "command" a one-year deal for a measly $2M! It was during this same offseason that Halak was traded for two prospects. By the next offseason, the market for goalies had substantially recovered: Niemi signed a multi-year deal for nearly $4M/year, Bryzgalov signed a massive UFA contract with the Flyers and Varlamov was traded for 1st and 2nd round picks.

Fast forward another 12 months and I've not noticed any decline as far as the relative league-wide demand for goalies goes. By this time, the comparisons to what Halak fetched in a trade aren't especially useful any more; it should be clear to everyone that if Montreal was trading him today, the return would be more than Eller and a lesser prospect, probably substantially more. We're well past that historic low now, that inflection point, if you will. As for Varlamov? I'm not sure. I'm not totally convinced the demand is any higher than a year ago, but I am convinced the supply is lower, which would probably drive goalie values even higher.

I offer no opinion on whether Bernier is worth a Connolly in return, or which team needs to add, but that's mostly because I'm not that familiar with how Connolly has developed since he was drafted. I'd agree with many of my fellow Kings fans that Lombardi doesn't have to deal Bernier during the summer if the right deal doesn't come along; he still has the luxury of waiting. And if it's reasonable to believe that the Kings won't fall out of contention for a playoff spot next season based on their success since Sutter took over, then it's also reasonable to expect Bernier should get many more starts because they won't feel forced to rely on Quick as often; besides, Bernier would probably get more starts anyway so that Lombardi could shop him more effectively. Hence all the speculation that Bernier would be a declining asset going forward is just that: speculation.

AWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 03:10 AM
Numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still All In View Post
Can you actually spell Lecavalier right and at least do a little googling to realize that Smith was a UFA when he left?
haha your right cant spell his name, but its not easy lol

i guess the point about smith leaving is it was for nothing, but he was a young goalie they invested significantly in (Richards) for nothing. Comparing to how you traded for Smith and may trade for Bernier, both of which are similar to a certain extent.

Numbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 05:20 AM
Bish Please
Sons of Pirates

vCash: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbers View Post
haha your right cant spell his name, but its not easy lol

i guess the point about smith leaving is it was for nothing, but he was a young goalie they invested significantly in (Richards) for nothing. Comparing to how you traded for Smith and may trade for Bernier, both of which are similar to a certain extent.
Yzerman invested nothing in Smith and Smith showed nothing here to indicate he was worthy of a contract.

Bish Please is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 08:41 AM
kinghock

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginovegas View Post
what has Bernier ever done or proved?

What has Bernier ever done or proved, beside been elite level talent?

What has Connolly ever done or proved, beside been elite level talent?

kinghock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 08:43 AM
kinghock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nacho Labrie View Post
Actually you will find posts of me being fine with both the 10th and Connolly in a package for Bernier. I'm 100% willing to give up anything outside of Hedman or Stamkos to solve our goaltending. Hell, I'm probably the only Lightning fan who doesn't think KingHock is asking for the moon.
Thank you, for this.

Old
06-09-2012, 08:45 AM
kinghock

Quote:
This. And that's why they won't trade Connolly AND their 1st (10). That doesn't mean a deal won't happen for less.
a deal won't happen for less

Old
06-09-2012, 08:59 AM
HoseEmDown

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinghock View Post
Then a deal won't happen at all unless LA plans on sending Forbert + Loktionov/Muzzin. Connolly+10th+50th for Bernier+Forbert+Loktionov/Muzzin.

Old
06-09-2012, 09:00 AM
Reign Nateo

Connolly AND the 10th? TB would have to be nuts. Or really believe he's the guy.

Reign Nateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 09:01 AM
kinghock

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoseEmDown View Post
Then a deal won't happen at all unless LA plans on sending Forbert + Loktionov/Muzzin. Connolly+10th+50th for Bernier+Forbert+Loktionov/Muzzin.
I understand that Tampa does not want to trade their 10th pick, because they want to draft defensemen.
But this is not Kings problem.
The only other valuable commodity to entice Kings to trade Bernier is Connolly.
Kings are trading from position of power and will not accept mediocre package.
May be better solution from Tampa will be to look for another goalie.

Old
06-09-2012, 09:03 AM
Martyros
Allow me to retort

Quote:
Yes it will. That kind of package gets you someone that has proven something in the playoffs.
Gm's no longer give up that kind of return for potential. It's potential that gets moved for an established, proven player.

Martyros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 09:04 AM
kinghock

Quote:
I agree. A deal won't happen at all without Tampa overpayment.

Old
06-09-2012, 09:11 AM
M3ntalpr0
Neutral fan

Connolly for Bernier straight up sounds kinda fair to me.

Tampa's big weakness is goaltending and they would have NHL-ready (imo) guy in Bernier and lock him up for many years to come.

Connolly isnt NHL-ready (again imo). I feel like he was rushed into the league this season. Im not sold on him yet but the Kings could use that potential top 6 guy in the future.

Overall i see this trade as very good for both teams.

M3ntalpr0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 09:22 AM
HoseEmDown

Quote:
I agree. A deal won't happen at all without Tampa overpayment.
It's not an overpayment but we are sending the 2 best pieces in the deal with Connolly and 10th.

Old
06-09-2012, 09:48 AM
Rschmitz
Yzermaned

Quote:
It's not an overpayment but we are sending the 2 best pieces in the deal with Connolly and 10th.

Why would we do that? Horrible asset management, no sane Kings or Lightning fan should expect that.

Rschmitz is offline   Reply With Quote