HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

Jonathan Huberdeau: Will he make the cut?

Old
05-24-2012, 09:48 AM
Clint

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Clint
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
That's not true. They usually don't gain weight, but it's not normal to lose weight. Major junior teams have great facilities. Huby should be in the gym all the time when he's not on the ice. If he's not working hard in the gym, then that's a dedication problem.
Don't take my word for it as this is secondhand info, but from what I understand it is true. And not just for young players, either.

I've read that scoring forwards have a tendency to start the season with a higher-flex stick and transition to a lower-flex stick as the season progresses, since over the course of the year their bodies are under constant wear and tear and don't they have as much gym-time as they generally do during the offseason. Generally speaking, they're losing strength and mass as the season wears on.

But again, it's hearsay.

Clint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 06:34 AM
jakethesnake23

Quote:
That's not true. They usually don't gain weight, but it's not normal to lose weight. Major junior teams have great facilities. Huby should be in the gym all the time when he's not on the ice. If he's not working hard in the gym, then that's a dedication problem.
No it is true and for most every sport that involves a long, constant season. As Brian Fogarty and Clint basically said, over the course of a season, players simply expend too much energy to effectively put on muscle and weight. Generally, the offseason is the "loading" period, where athletes put on as much weight and strength as possible. This slowly deteriorates over the course of a long season.

Of course, this doesn't happen 100% of the time, but its the general rule. It also makes common sense right? Huber has played like 100 games this year. Its just too hard to gain weight with that much energy output. Its not due to a lack of dedication.

Last edited by jakethesnake23: 05-25-2012 at 06:49 AM.
jakethesnake23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 10:17 AM
MickOlax

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakethesnake23 View Post
No it is true and for most every sport that involves a long, constant season. As Brian Fogarty and Clint basically said, over the course of a season, players simply expend too much energy to effectively put on muscle and weight. Generally, the offseason is the "loading" period, where athletes put on as much weight and strength as possible. This slowly deteriorates over the course of a long season.

Of course, this doesn't happen 100% of the time, but its the general rule. It also makes common sense right? Huber has played like 100 games this year. Its just too hard to gain weight with that much energy output. Its not due to a lack of dedication.
This. People who think that's it's lack of dedication don't know anything about weight and mass gaining in pro sports.

Just look at the interview of Keaton Ellerby after the 2010-11 season and watch how skinny he is. The interviewers even mentions it and Ellerby admits that he had lost quite a few pounds during the season.

If you're playing even close to all the games you can in a season, it's almost impossible to gain too much weight. Every time you play a game or have a hard practice on ice, you use so much energy that it doesn't strengthen you. It actually weakens you and takes all the energy at the cost of your own body. Like Jakethesnake said, the summer is the time to "load up" your body. You can gain more weight in two months of summer than the whole season.

And just for my two cents on Huberdeau, I totally believe that he and the Panthers fitness coaches and trainers are doing their best to make him as physically ready for the season as possible. That being said, I don't think he HAS to put up much more than about 10 pounds. 10 pounds would be awesome imo.

And yes, he will make our roster next season.

-L-

MickOlax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 01:31 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

I didn't say Huby has a lack of dedication necessarily, only if he's not working hard in the gym. If he is, then he might have a natural problem maintaining weight.

If you know how to train properly and to take the right nutrition/recoveries, you don't lose muscle during the season. Call me crazy, but I don't see every player losing weight by the end of the season. Do some people? Of course. Is it inevitable? No. Some players gain weight during the season. I'm almost positive Barch gained weight.

I know Huby has played like 200 games in 2 years, but he's also only added less than 15 lbs. in 3 years. It's normal I think to question if he has a natural problem adding and maintaining muscle mass. Other prospects play a lot of games in a season too and they are not all 171 lbs. Huby is also 6'1", he has the frame to put on a lot of clean weight. Maybe I'm wrong and he'll be over 180 lbs. in camp but I'm just stating the facts as they are.

Last edited by Markstrom Rules: 05-26-2012 at 01:39 PM.
Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 12:42 AM
jol

Quote:
I know Huby has played like 200 games in 2 years, but he's also only added less than 15 lbs. in 3 years. It's normal I think to question if he has a natural problem adding and maintaining muscle mass. Other prospects play a lot of games in a season too and they are not all 171 lbs. Huby is also 6'1", he has the frame to put on a lot of clean weight. Maybe I'm wrong and he'll be over 180 lbs. in camp but I'm just stating the facts as they are.
Once he enters to big leagues, I'm sure he will be taken care of, proper "nutrition" will be offered and we'll see his weight to be soon 200 lbs., only muscle.

JOL

jol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 03:47 AM
MickOlax

Quote:
Originally Posted by jol View Post
Once he enters to big leagues, I'm sure he will be taken care of, proper "nutrition" will be offered and we'll see his weight to be soon 200 lbs., only muscle.

JOL
He should co to Russia for a year.

No offense to all the Russians. I've just heard that they have some pretty good "vitamines" there.

-L-

MickOlax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 03:49 AM
FrolikFan67

of course he'll make the team. he may start off as the 3rd line LW from how well bergy played this last season, but he'll end up playing 2nd line LW for most and probably close to all of the season. and hopefully, if we can acquire a #1 center, then weiss can center hubs on the 2nd...as captain mr. panther helping mentor our future franchise player as captain would be awesome.

btw, anyone complaining or worrying about hubderdeau's weight, keep in mind tyler ennis, according to nhl.com, is 5'9 and weighs 157lbs and he seems to be doing just fine. huberdeau's just under 180lbs and 6'1 (i think), he'll be fine.

FrolikFan67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 05:50 AM
Bjindaho

Quote:
I didn't say Huby has a lack of dedication necessarily, only if he's not working hard in the gym. If he is, then he might have a natural problem maintaining weight.

If you know how to train properly and to take the right nutrition/recoveries, you don't lose muscle during the season. Call me crazy, but I don't see every player losing weight by the end of the season. Do some people? Of course. Is it inevitable? No. Some players gain weight during the season. I'm almost positive Barch gained weight.

Huby weighed less than 150 lbs when he was drafted into the Q. He weighed in at 151 at camp as a 16 year-old.

Bjindaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 05:52 AM
Bjindaho

He also looked like he may have bulked up during the year. Unlike most prospects, he had about a month where he couldn't play allowing him time to recover.

Bjindaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 12:25 PM
Tuco

Quote:
Originally Posted by jol View Post

JOL
Surely, these guys just happen to mature around that time....

Tuco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 07:04 AM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjindaho View Post
Huby weighed less than 150 lbs when he was drafted into the Q. He weighed in at 151 at camp as a 16 year-old.
I know, but he was listed at 157 lbs. on the Q site during the 09-10 season.

Old
06-09-2012, 07:16 AM
nhlfan9191

Quote:
I know, but he was listed at 157 lbs. on the Q site during the 09-10 season.
I weighed 155 when I was 16. I hit 200 by the time I was 19. Listing at 157 pounds back in 09/10 really means nothing for a kid Huberdeau's age. Teenager males between 15-20 grow at a freakish rate. Especially when they have professional trainers pretty much manipulating how much they want them to weigh.

nhlfan9191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 07:27 AM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhlfan9191 View Post
I weighed 155 when I was 16. I hit 200 by the time I was 19. Listing at 157 pounds back in 09/10 really means nothing for a kid Huberdeau's age. Teenager males between 15-20 grow at a freakish rate. Especially when they have professional trainers pretty much manipulating how much they want them to weigh.
Are you a pro athlete, who has almost no body fat? It's a little different. Huby is 19 now. I know that young men can hit a big growth spurt at any time, but aside from that, what can we realistically expect, is what I was saying. I was saying that he has put on 15 lbs. in 2.5 seasons. Which is not great compared to many other junior players between the ages of 16-19. It could change this summer, but all I was saying was that the evidence so far isn't that encouraging and he spent last summer with pro trainers too without much results. I'm pointing out the facts, not how much I wish he weighed.

Old
06-09-2012, 12:14 PM
nhlfan9191

Quote:
Are you a pro athlete, who has almost no body fat? It's a little different. Huby is 19 now. I know that young men can hit a big growth spurt at any time, but aside from that, what can we realistically expect, is what I was saying. I was saying that he has put on 15 lbs. in 2.5 seasons. Which is not great compared to many other junior players between the ages of 16-19. It could change this summer, but all I was saying was that the evidence so far isn't that encouraging and he spent last summer with pro trainers too without much results. I'm pointing out the facts, not how much I wish he weighed.
All I'm saying is gaining and losing weight when your his age is usually a simple fix. It'll come eventually. If not, it's not the end of the world because of the position and role he plays. Obviously, you don't want him to get destroyed out there like Nugent-Hopkins but he could still be very effective even if he is small next season. But like I said, not concerned at all about him bumping his weight up 15-20 pounds. I prefer him coming to camp a little smaller instead of 20 pounds overweight like Cam Ward did after he won the Stanley Cup.

Old
06-09-2012, 02:03 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhlfan9191 View Post
All I'm saying is gaining and losing weight when your his age is usually a simple fix. It'll come eventually. If not, it's not the end of the world because of the position and role he plays. Obviously, you don't want him to get destroyed out there like Nugent-Hopkins but he could still be very effective even if he is small next season. But like I said, not concerned at all about him bumping his weight up 15-20 pounds. I prefer him coming to camp a little smaller instead of 20 pounds overweight like Cam Ward did after he won the Stanley Cup.
Most of the time it's a simple fix, but everyone's bodies are different. Of course it wouldn't be the end of the world if Huby doesn't bulk up to average size, but obviously your chances of success in the NHL increase the bigger you are. And we all want our #3 overall pick to be the best he can be.

Last edited by Markstrom Rules: 06-09-2012 at 02:24 PM.
Old
06-09-2012, 05:48 PM
Dineen Youngblood

Quote:
Most of the time it's a simple fix, but everyone's bodies are different. Of course it wouldn't be the end of the world if Huby doesn't bulk up to average size, but obviously your chances of success in the NHL increase the bigger you are. And we all want our #3 overall pick to be the best he can be.
well said..

Dineen Youngblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 01:20 AM
nhlfan9191

Quote:
Definitely agree.

Old
06-10-2012, 09:16 AM
Panteras
perennial loser

vCash: 536
there could be a lot of factors in my opinion...yeah you could spend a summer with trainers, but if you go home and spend the time that you aren't with the trainers not doing what you're suppose to be doing than you won't get the results...it also might just be genetics...he's listed in wiki at 6'1-171lbs...that's honestly not that bad in my opinion at 19...realistically with his body type he max out at 190, that's 20, that's a lot, his body would be radically different

Panteras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 09:22 PM
Tyler Durden

Rookie of the year 2013?

Tyler Durden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 11:32 PM
p9ers

If he doesn't make the team next year, it will be ridicule in the Q.

p9ers is offline   Reply With Quote