HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 NHL Entry Draft (All NON-Ranger Prospect Discussion Thread - Part II)

Old
06-09-2012, 01:17 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

vCash: 500
2012 NHL Entry Draft (All NON-Ranger Prospect Discussion Thread - Part II)

Continue.

06-09-2012, 01:45 PM
Pizza

The way I'm reading it here getting both Kerdiles and Mac^2 would be a very good scenario.

What's the best way to do that?

I agree we need to swing for the fences on some picks at this point. But you need to keep dancing with the one that brung ya. We got where we are right now for a reason.

How could we balance it all and do both?

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 01:53 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
The way I'm reading it here getting both Kerdiles and Mac^2 would be a very good scenario.

What's the best way to do that?

I agree we need to swing for the fences on some picks at this point. But you need to keep dancing with the one that brung ya. We got where we are right now for a reason.

How could we balance it all and do both?
Where are those 2 projected to go? Are they late first or early to mid 2nd round guys?

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 02:05 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Where are those 2 projected to go? Are they late first or early to mid 2nd round guys?
Mac Squared can go anywhere from the end of the first round to the third or fourth round. It depends on who likes him and what upside they think they have.

Kerdiles is a 1st round pick projected to go about where we are picking.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 02:20 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Mac Squared can go anywhere from the end of the first round to the third or fourth round. It depends on who likes him and what upside they think they have.

Kerdiles is a 1st round pick projected to go about where we are picking.
Thanks.

Kerdiles does seem to fit the mold of recent Rangers picks...

The 6’1″, 194-pound power forward is stating his case on the ice. He’s one of the bigger forwards in the US National Team Development Program and he knows how to get into the dirty areas to score goals.

“His puck protection and his strength on the puck down low are tremendous,” said under-18 coach Danton Cole. “He scored quite a few goals for us last year, most of them were right in the tough areas.”

Like most modern power forwards, Kerdiles also has the element of speed. As one of the fastest players on the NTDP, he uses that to his advantage.

“Using my speed is a big part of my game and I use it all the time.”

A versatile player as well, Kerdiles is capable of playing any forward position even though Cole primarily uses him at center.

“Nic’s a hard worker,” Cole said. “He loves being on the ice, loves being in the weight room. Pretty much anything we give him he takes it on his shoulders and he wants to get better at it.”

Old
06-09-2012, 02:34 PM
Pizza

I want both. I'm a greedy chap that way.

How do we do that? Some body can tell me that, then I know you guys are really on top of your game. How about it boys?

Old
06-09-2012, 02:42 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:

How do we do that? Some body can tell me that, then I know you guys are really on top of your game. How about it boys?
Where do you see Mac going? Looks like we probably have to stand pat with our first to get Kerdiles. Seems like Mac could be there for us when we're up in the 2nd round...but if he's really a guy you want you could trade our 2nd this year and our extra 3rd next year to move up to the middle of the round to grab him.

It's also quite possible Kerdiles is gone after 20-25 picks or so. From everyone's favorite hockey rumor monger...

23. Florida Panthers - Nicholas Kerdiles (C)
The Year of the Plumber continues. Kerdiles has decent size, decent skills, plays a decent two-way game. A few of these centers, I swear, they could have been ordered from a MacDonald's drive thru. There is nothing to dislike about Kerdiles, but nothing to get too excited about either. A decent depth forward.

Old
06-09-2012, 02:43 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:

Take Kerdiles with our first round pick and trade something from next year (or a prospect) to get an early 2nd round pick and take Mac Squared.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 03:13 PM
Pizza

Quote:
Take Kerdiles with our first round pick and trade something from next year (or a prospect) to get an early 2nd round pick and take Mac Squared.
Thanks Jon. I like that.

But as someone else mentioned: how does Kerdiles get past Boston at 24?

How could we move up to say 20 and also be able to move up in the 2nd round.

Old
06-09-2012, 03:14 PM
Pizza

Quote:
Where do you see Mac going? Looks like we probably have to stand pat with our first to get Kerdiles. Seems like Mac could be there for us when we're up in the 2nd round...but if he's really a guy you want you could trade our 2nd this year and our extra 3rd next year to move up to the middle of the round to grab him.

It's also quite possible Kerdiles is gone after 20-25 picks or so. From everyone's favorite hockey rumor monger...

The Year of the Plumber continues. Kerdiles has decent size, decent skills, plays a decent two-way game. A few of these centers, I swear, they could have been ordered from a MacDonald's drive thru. There is nothing to dislike about Kerdiles, but nothing to get too excited about either. A decent depth forward.
Very good as your anticipating the problem I out lined above.

Old
06-09-2012, 03:46 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Jon, thoughts on Brian Hart?

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 04:15 PM
LordsCup*

Went to my Barns and Noble to pick up my THN Draft Guide and they didnt have any

LordsCup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 06:13 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:

That's inline with my opinion of Kerdiles. Nothing bad about him, but nothing that jumps out at you. He's ranked up there because he's a safe pick in a questionable draft.

I know people here swoon over him, but I just don't see high end talent there.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 06:45 PM
Jacques Strap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
That's inline with my opinion of Kerdiles. Nothing bad about him, but nothing that jumps out at you. He's ranked up there because he's a safe pick in a questionable draft.

I know people here swoon over him, but I just don't see high end talent there.

I agree 100 % with both of the previous comments concerning Kerdiles. Good player, nothing special. I just don't see the offensive upside or other physical intangibles.

We already have JT Miller who is a better version of Kerdiles and before him Dubinsky. Not to mention Andrew Yogan. How redundant can you get?

We need more skill, scoring, physicality. Players like Martin Frk, Tom Wilson, Mark Jankowski, Brian Hart, Mac2, Henrik Samuellson. Maybe one of Swedes drops down to us, Aberg, Colberg ...

There are quite a few players I would prefer instead of Kerdiles. If we pick him, I will support him, but I don't think he'll be there and I think we could do better.

Jacques Strap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 08:21 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
I would do back flips if we are able to pull that off.

And sign Schultz.

Two Junes would have added Erixon (trade), Miller, Schultz (FA), Kerdiles

Try to convince me that system isn't top five in the NHL.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 08:31 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Same stuff was being said about J.T. last June.

That his offensive upside wasn't high. He was a third line grinder. Blah Blah.

I told folks they were dead wrong. Work ethic and physical play don't detract from a player's skill when they have it.

Kerdiles isn't a lazy one dimensional skill player. He's a goal scorer that has a foundation of a two way game growing.

This "safe pick" mantra is a fallacy.

The only reason I'd call him a safe pick is because his skill level IS high-end and so is his brain. He's willing to do what it takes to become the player he can be.

No tangible physical attributes? What? He's big, very fast, very skilled, great shot, works hard on and off the ice.

And committing to a program that has a track record for pumping out high-end NHL players helps his case even more.

He's exactly in the mould of Kreider and Miller.

MacEachern has the potential to be. But i need to see it translate to a league more on his level.

If we could land both of them that would be huge.

If we can get Kerdiles, that in its self would be huge.

Old
06-09-2012, 09:12 PM
TrollololBoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordsCup View Post
Went to my Barns and Noble to pick up my THN Draft Guide and they didnt have any
Because you went to Barnes and Noble....?

TrollololBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 09:17 PM
LordsCup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrollololBoyle View Post
Because you went to Barnes and Noble....?
where else can i go?

Ive gotten the draft guide there the past 4-5 years.

Old
06-09-2012, 09:19 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
https://secure.thehockeynews.com/onl...draftpreview12

Old
06-09-2012, 09:20 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
where else can i go?

Ive gotten the draft guide there the past 4-5 years.
https://secure.thehockeynews.com/onl...draftpreview12

Old
06-09-2012, 09:42 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

I don't see any comparisons to Miller or Kreider. Both of those players were dynamic forwards with ultra-high compete levels. Kerdiles disappears for huge stretches. He's a very ordinary player. That's not an insult, he just doesn't "wow" you.

Woodlief raved and raved about Miller last year. Something tells me that if Kerdiles was this years JT Miller, Woodlief would be raving about seeing similar traits, instead of ranking him in the 40's and questioning his drive.

Wisconsin has been churning out very good NHL d-men for quite a while. NHL forwards? Not so much. Stepan has been one of the few standouts in the last 7 or 8 years. Kyle Turris, Craig Smith.. not too much else. Geoffrion has been a flop. Skille has been a flop as well.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 10:13 PM
LordsCup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Thanks! I didnt know they had a digital copy available. Just got it and will print out tomorrow. Thank you again

Old
06-10-2012, 07:46 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

I've been reading good things about Jankowski lately. Anyone here know more about him, would he be a good pick at 28?

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 08:34 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Gotta wonder if the Rangers look at a defenseman in the first round. Impact forwards seem scarse in this draft. Yeah, there's some wild cards. Frk is interesting. Every scout out there is saying his one-timer is tremendous. Wilson is interesting...big nasty guy, but is he going to ever crack a top 6, or is he going to be a role player? Mac is very intriguing but that is likely second round talk.

What happens if Dalton Thrower, or Brady Skjei is there still when the Rangers take the podium? Do they pass because the have a solid crop of defenseman already? Both of these guys seem to fit the mold on what Clark likes in a prospect. Charachter, compete level, and maybe most important...skating.

Addressing need VS BPA...what to do?

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 08:45 PM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
Gotta wonder if the Rangers look at a defenseman in the first round. Impact forwards seem scarse in this draft. Yeah, there's some wild cards. Frk is interesting. Every scout out there is saying his one-timer is tremendous. Wilson is interesting...big nasty guy, but is he going to ever crack a top 6, or is he going to be a role player? Mac is very intriguing but that is likely second round talk.

What happens if Dalton Thrower, or Brady Skjei is there still when the Rangers take the podium? Do they pass because the have a solid crop of defenseman already? Both of these guys seem to fit the mold on what Clark likes in a prospect. Charachter, compete level, and maybe most important...skating.

Addressing need VS BPA...what to do?
If Thrower, Skjei, or even somehow Koekoek are still there at 28, they will be Rangers. Gordie goes BPA most of the time.

I'd be interested to see if those three are gone and the choice comes down to a safe pick like a Sissons or Matteau, or Subban who could be a #1 goalie someday.

White Plains Batman is offline   Reply With Quote