HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Olli Jokinen

View Poll Results: Would you consider bringing Olli Jokinen back via UFA as a 2C?
Sure, why not. He has skills we can use. 45 69.23%
No way. He has a tainted history here and bringing him back would be a mistake. 20 30.77%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Old
06-09-2012, 02:37 AM
nhlfan9191

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
He used Olli as a scapegoat? Olli admittedly quit on the season! Yes the charity nonsense pisses me off, but I could see past that if he hadn't quit on the team!! What did we win with Olli? He has/had all those records because we've sucked for a decade, not because he was one of the best we've ever had.

Has nothing to do with JM, DeBoer, Cohen, etc...it's about his attitude and him quitting. Why people bring up JM is beyond me. I'm a grown man, I make up my own mind.
Your against all former Panthers with extreme prejudice, aren't you? It's okay, I don't blame you.

nhlfan9191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 07:31 AM
Dread Clawz
fmrly MarkstromRules

I voted yes, but only because I know that Tallon will do his homework to see if bringing him back into this lockeroom would be OK. But I'd rather we go after Stoll.

Dread Clawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 07:46 AM
Dread Clawz
fmrly MarkstromRules

Quote:
Originally Posted by jol View Post
What's the year he quit, 2007-08? Did it happened after he almost killed Zednik? Or was it one of his interviews where he admitted that there were games he didn't give his 100%?

JOL
GR also posted here a few years ago saying that Olli purposely dogged it down the stretch to get Martin fired. If it was due to Zednik, I'm sure he would have alluded to that, but he didn't mention it. Remember, he had like 4 pts. or something for the last quarter season.

Old
06-09-2012, 02:48 PM
PanthersFan19

Take it for what its worth. Saw Olli at Publix in Parkland this morning and asked him about next year. He said its either Florida or Calgary but he wants to be in Florida. He said he has talked to Dale already and wants to be back.

PanthersFan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 02:57 PM
Knightmare

yep, he's in.

Knightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 03:44 PM
I May Be Wrong
I May Be The Stig

Send a message via MSN to I May Be Wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersFan19 View Post
Take it for what its worth. Saw Olli at Publix in Parkland this morning and asked him about next year. He said its either Florida or Calgary but he wants to be in Florida. He said he has talked to Dale already and wants to be back.
Wow, wasn't expecting that.

OT: What was he buying? Love publix subs lol.

I May Be Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 03:47 PM
Mogo
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Before last season I was all against picking him up. But now with the market out there and leaders we have on this team I don't see him as a problem. He wouldn't have to lead and Dineen can hold him in fold.

Mogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 04:02 PM
SoupyFIN
#freePirri

vCash: 50
Quote:
Wow, just wow. I mean, we all knew that he spends the summers down in south but to get this kind of lucky break that someone bumps into him.

edit: That probably means that Flames have already given up on him if he can negotiate with other teams. Could be a same kind of trade like with Vokoun the other day.

SoupyFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 04:26 PM
Dread Clawz
fmrly MarkstromRules

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupyFIN View Post
Wow, just wow. I mean, we all knew that he spends the summers down in south but to get this kind of lucky break that someone bumps into him.

edit: That probably means that Flames have already given up on him if he can negotiate with other teams. Could be a same kind of trade like with Vokoun the other day.
Actually it's illegal, it's tampering if the NHL can prove than he's talked to Tallon already. They can't officially talk to him until noon on July 1st, although everybody does it. But I've already assumed that he's not going back to Calgary because they signed Cervenka. If it's either Calgary or Florida, then he's probably going to sign with Florida. But now maybe we can get him at a basement bargain price because he only wants to be in one place.

Old
06-09-2012, 04:31 PM
SoupyFIN
#freePirri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
Actually it's illegal, it's tampering if the NHL can prove than he's talked to Tallon already. They can't officially talk to him until noon on July 1st, although everybody does it. But I've already assumed that he's not going back to Calgary because they signed Cervenka. If it's either Calgary or Florida, then he's probably going to sign with Florida. But now maybe we can get him at a basement bargain price because he only wants to be in one place.
It's not illegal if the GM agrees to it. Vokoun and many other were allowed to negotiate before they got traded and subsequently signed.

Old
06-09-2012, 04:37 PM
billysbreakdown

At first I was like NO way. But after a few days of thought, I wouldn't mind Olli back. At the right price ofc.

billysbreakdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 04:46 PM
Dread Clawz
fmrly MarkstromRules

Quote:
It's not illegal if the GM agrees to it. Vokoun and many other were allowed to negotiate before they got traded and subsequently signed.
Thats a trade, thats different than a free agent signing. Thats tampering.

Old
06-09-2012, 04:53 PM
SoupyFIN
#freePirri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
Thats a trade, thats different than a free agent signing. Thats tampering.
Tampering = the GM doesn't know that the player is talking with the other team(s).

It's not illegal if the GM has given that player permission to talk to other teams.

edit: And if I didn't say it clearly on the Vokoun part, he was allowed to talk to other team(s) so that Caps could get an asset back for him since he had already announced that he won't be back. That's not tampering if the GM agrees to it.

Old
06-09-2012, 05:07 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Don't think I believe all that, as MR said that's illegal and carries a hefty cost. cool you met him, but his telling a stranger who says he's a Panther fan that he's (illegally from what we know) talked to Tallon? Sorry.

Fin, never has it come out in any sport that a GM has given permission for a player to talk to another team unless a trade is involved. Getting an asset back is one thing, just being OK because, just doesn't happen.

06-09-2012, 05:22 PM
SoupyFIN
#freePirri

Yeah, I know. I'm not announcing this in the town church's bell tower or anything.

I'm taking it with a grain of salt. Make that a lot of salt to be precise.

Old
06-09-2012, 05:46 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Yeah, I know. I'm not announcing this in the town church's bell tower or anything.

I'm taking it with a grain of salt. Make that a lot of salt to be precise.
Lol, gotcha.

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 06:06 PM
Boooooth10

Quote:
Which publix was it at?

Boooooth10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 07:25 PM
Ghoste
Vigo the Carpathian

If we don't make a play on some of the big names that can play on the top line (the Spezzas, Thorntons, Getzlafs, etc.), I think the next crop of players are guys like Jokinen. Obviously he didn't have the best of exits but with all due respect, we are currently at a whole other level in regards to our staff and front office. I don't have any worry about Olli's commitment level and would be shocked if he was signed and became an issue. And obviously Dale would do his due diligence so I'd trust any decision he makes.

Plus, if we're just talking player to player, I'd rather sign Olli than re-sign Sammy.

-ghoste

Ghoste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 08:58 PM
jol

Quote:
Finnish language newspaper in Lantana "Amerikan Uutiset" reported already long time ago that Olli will be back, it was about sponsorship arrangements etc.

JOL

jol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 08:59 PM
jol

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillarWithASave View Post
He also had a pretty severe alcohol problem when he was with Florida, from what I heard..

He's sober now I think.
Tallon is sober, Olli is sober, Olli is Tallon's kind of player.

JOL

jol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 09:13 PM
SoupyFIN
#freePirri

Quote:
Originally Posted by jol View Post
Olli is sober
To make this clear, Olli never had a problem with alcohol. He just said that he quit drinking because he was tired of hangovers or something, and the reporter made it sound like he was an alcoholic.

Old
06-09-2012, 09:35 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
I am really torn on this topic. I feel the way Laus does, and part of me doesnt want him back because of what went on the last season he was here. OTOH, he seems to be a different player, and we sure could use his help down the middle. Id much rather see Tallon spend the money on a Parise or a Semin, or trade for a top six forward, but if either is available, then he will probably think about bringing Olli in. Saying that, Id also rather see someone brought in that would be more of piece to our future, like a Parise or Semin, rather than a stopgap, like Olli.

pb1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 10:08 PM
Lola
Future Panthers

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1300 View Post
I am really torn on this topic. I feel the way Laus does, and part of me doesnt want him back because of what went on the last season he was here. OTOH, he seems to be a different player, and we sure could use his help down the middle. Id much rather see Tallon spend the money on a Parise or a Semin, or trade for a top six forward, but if either is available, then he will probably think about bringing Olli in. Saying that, Id also rather see someone brought in that would be more of piece to our future, like a Parise or Semin, rather than a stopgap, like Olli.
IMO, that is a character issue. I would be surprised if Tallon brings him here. That said, I really liked the small taste of playoffs we had this year...if bringing Olli back takes us to the next round, then I'm for it.

Lola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 11:52 PM
MillarWithASave
HUBY DOOBY SHUTUP

Quote:
I'm deciding if you are serious or not...

MillarWithASave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 12:10 AM
PanthersFan19

Publix in Heron Bay. It is 100% true. I wouldn't make this up to my fellow Cats fans.

PanthersFan19 is offline   Reply With Quote