HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Ryan Suter

View Poll Results: Prediction: Where will Suter sign?
Nashville 16 35.56%
Detroit 14 31.11%
Minnesota 9 20.00%
Philly 0 0%
Pittsburgh 3 6.67%
Other 3 6.67%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
06-07-2012, 05:31 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 500
That's playing a dangerous game, but there are plenty of GMs in the League who like to take risks like that.

I think it'll still come down to location and team more than money. Suter's wife is definitely in on the decision. The difference between $8m or $9m and $7m may not be enough to sway them from their supposed desire to remain in a "small town" of sorts, but you never know. I'm expecting anything to happen with this

Old
06-07-2012, 06:22 PM
VFL615*

Its going to be a lot of crap throwing when Suter and Parise sign in Detroit the first week in July... I am going to sit back and

Old
06-08-2012, 07:11 AM
headsigh
leave at once!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VFL615 View Post
Its going to be a lot of crap throwing when Suter and Parise sign in Detroit the first week in July... I am going to sit back and

Subotic: Detroit
Poor Dortmund player: Everyone else

Old
06-08-2012, 12:54 PM
AEM6729

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
Let's take a logical look at this for a second. We are fairly sure Suter wants to go to a team in a smaller market that has a chance to win and has a good environment for this family. Let's take a look at those 3 criteria:

Not wanting a big market eliminates NYR, NJD, NYI, LA, TOR, MTL, CHI, and VAN I would argue Detroit, Philly, and Pittsburgh belong here too, depending on whether he means big market or big city.

Chance to win: eliminates, say, the bottom 10 teams from this year. CLB, ANA, MIN, CAR, TBL, COL, WPG, EDM (others are big markets)

I'm not even going to delve into "good for family" becuase that will just start a flame war.

That leaves: St. Louis, Boston, Phoenix, San Jose, Florida, Washington, Ottawa, Calgary, Dallas, Buffalo, and us

Not necessarily a final list, and you can argue, say, that Colorado appeals to him becuase it's a team on the rise and etc., just thinking out loud.
I think it's a good assumption too that he wants to be close to family. Poile talked quite a bit in his interview about how much Suter loves Wisconsin and his farm there. If that really is playing into his decision then you can eliminate a lot of teams on your list. Can't we just give him a farm in Nashville?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
I keeping looking at Suter's criteria (small market, small city, good family atmosphere, ready to compete) and all i can think is "and you're leaving nashville...why?"
That's pretty much what Poile said: that it all comes back to Nashville. If those truly are his criteria, it's hard to come up with many teams who are more prepared to meet them than us. Add in the perk Poile mentioned that here he has a chance to play with Weber for his whole career, and they could potentially go down as the best defensive pair in the league. What other team can offer that?

From the sounds of the interview, it seems that Poile really believes he has a good shot at signing Suter and is willing to wait until after July 1st to do it. It could end up being either the best or the worst move of Poile's career...what a huge leap of faith. If it works, we keep a huge piece of our franchise. If it doesn't, we lose him for absolutely nothing. I really, really hope GMDP isn't getting played here. If Suter makes it past July 1st and doesn't re-sign with us, I'll be pretty pissed...not at Poile, but at Suter. If he doesn't want to sign here he needs to just say so and give us an opportunity to trade his rights. He better not be just stringing us along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
I think the Parise/Suter friendship thing is blown way out of proportion. They played on team USA but don't hang out in the offseason so the BFF thing that is going around is a joke.
I don't know what others base their statements on, but when I call Suter and Parise BFFs, it's because some media guide or something sent out to season ticket holders a few years ago included little interviews with players, and Suter was asked who his closest friend in the league was. He said Parise.

Old
06-08-2012, 01:06 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Let's think about this. The two closest cities with NHL teams to Madison are St. Paul and Chicago. Is Chicago too big a media market? From the sound of it, it is so you could probably rule them out. And it's still a 2+ hour drive to Madison from Chicago. St. Paul is a mid-sized market with some media pressure and a 4 hour drive from Madison and about a half hour flight. Nashville is a small market, good place to raise a family and the media pressure is light. About an hour flight to Madison and a 9 hour drive to Madison. I don't know about you guys, but I wouldn't want a 4 hour drive back and forth between Madison and St. Paul. I've visited my dad and it takes about 4 hours to drive from where I am to where he is and the drive absolutely sucks. It makes more sense for Suter to fly.

I think it comes down to money and if Nashville offers something close to what other teams are, I think he stays.

Old
06-08-2012, 01:15 PM
codeman00

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralsFan24 View Post
I think it comes down to money and if Nashville offers something close to what other teams are, I think he stays.
I agree with that 100%.

Old
06-08-2012, 03:16 PM
Preds311

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
I think the Parise/Suter friendship thing is blown way out of proportion. They played on team USA but don't hang out in the offseason so the BFF thing that is going around is a joke.

Once again, the fact that Suter is still talking to Poile is promising. I think he hits the market and sees what's out there and then re-ups with us. It's going to be very much like the Kovy situation last summer. He'll entertain offers and see that the grass isn't as green as he thought it would be. It would be great if he would decide before July 1 but from the looks of it, the only ones that are tied directly into his decision aren't part of our future (Rads/AK) and as far as Gill, Bouillion and Gaustad go, big deal, it's not as if we don't re-sign Suter we go sweet, we still have Gill, Bouillion or Hillen for that matter.
Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't Parise and Suter grow up in the USA hockey school in Michigan? That is basically where they live, go to school, etc during their high school years to train and develop.

Old
06-08-2012, 03:55 PM
Predsboro

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEM6729 View Post
Can't we just give him a farm in Nashville?!
He apparently has a big farm in Middle Tennessee per Mark Howard on 104.5 the Zone earlier this week.

Old
06-08-2012, 03:59 PM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Quote:
Let's think about this. The two closest cities with NHL teams to Madison are St. Paul and Chicago. Is Chicago too big a media market? From the sound of it, it is so you could probably rule them out. And it's still a 2+ hour drive to Madison from Chicago. St. Paul is a mid-sized market with some media pressure and a 4 hour drive from Madison and about a half hour flight. Nashville is a small market, good place to raise a family and the media pressure is light. About an hour flight to Madison and a 9 hour drive to Madison. I don't know about you guys, but I wouldn't want a 4 hour drive back and forth between Madison and St. Paul. I've visited my dad and it takes about 4 hours to drive from where I am to where he is and the drive absolutely sucks. It makes more sense for Suter to fly.

Its not about the drive btwn Madison and St Paul IMO. Its about getting a chance to raise your kids in a town where your wife is from, and thus be among grandparents, unles, aunts, cousins, good friends, and all the family value that brings to a very family oriented father and husband. Plus, the move would allow his business grad school wife could to go back to work for her father's real estate firm in Mineapolis.

The close proximity to the summer house on the Madison farm is a bonus, as Suter's side of the family could more conveniently visit their well travelled son.

06-08-2012, 06:16 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Don't wives of hockey players routinely live in different parts of the country from where their husbands play? And it isn't like they will be hurting for traveling money. The world is a lot smaller than it used to be.

Old
06-08-2012, 08:12 PM
NoNecksCurse

suter will go to minnesota, san jose, detroit, or some random team throwing 8.5+ million a year.

Old
06-09-2012, 08:28 AM
PredsMan

Here's a thought.

Does anyone thing the "Leipold factor" would play into Suter's likelyhood to sign in Minnesota?

Leipold screwed us up before he left, just as we were getting into our competitive era, Suter was part of the wreckage he left behind.

On top of all that, Minnesota hasn't been very good since Leipold took over.

Old
06-09-2012, 09:30 AM
VFL615*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsMan View Post
Here's a thought.

Does anyone thing the "Leipold factor" would play into Suter's likelyhood to sign in Minnesota?

Leipold screwed us up before he left, just as we were getting into our competitive era, Suter was part of the wreckage he left behind.

On top of all that, Minnesota hasn't been very good since Leipold took over.
Good point to ponder and the fact of all the problems the Vikings are having in staying in Minn.

Old
06-09-2012, 09:54 AM
AdmiralsFan24

Quote:
Good point to ponder and the fact of all the problems the Vikings are having in staying in Minn.
Not really sure what the Vikings have to do with anything but they're staying. They approved a new stadium.

If winning actually does matter to Suter and he said it did, I'm not sure why he would pick Minnesota over Nashville.

Old
06-09-2012, 11:10 AM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Wait... what? I don't understand how that is even relevant.

I was wondering the same thing about Suter's relationship with Leipold. He is the guy who blew up a great team in an effort to make it easier to sell (and maybe because he knew he was buying the Wild). He isn't a very good owner at all. He seems to barely understand the business aspect of hockey, and that isn't a good thing for an owner.

I wonder how Suter viewed the whole thing

Old
06-09-2012, 12:18 PM
VFL615*

Do you really think sports franchises in a city do not effect each other. Things they do are voted on by the same city governmernt. If the the city was not going to support a long time franchise like the Vikings if you were the Wild and things were going bad would you not have more of a thought process of getting out of town. In turn if you were Ryan Suter would you want to be a part of something like what the Coyotes are going through.
The Vikings may be getting a new building now but it sure did not happen without threatening to leave and a fight. Google it.

Old
06-09-2012, 12:35 PM
RaiderDoug

Quote:
Do you really think sports franchises in a city do not effect each other. Things they do are voted on by the same city governmernt. If the the city was not going to support a long time franchise like the Vikings if you were the Wild and things were going bad would you not have more of a thought process of getting out of town. In turn if you were Ryan Suter would you want to be a part of something like what the Coyotes are going through.
The Vikings may be getting a new building now but it sure did not happen without threatening to leave and a fight. Google it.
Minnesota just built new palaces for the Twins, Gophers, and now Vikes. I don't think support for pro-sports are an issue in the twin cities.

Old
06-09-2012, 12:52 PM
VFL615*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderDoug View Post
Minnesota just built new palaces for the Twins, Gophers, and now Vikes. I don't think support for pro-sports are an issue in the twin cities.
Oh really, 6 articles all from the past 3 months say different. I could list pages if you want to go back to when this thing started a couple of years ago.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/20/sp...ould-move.html

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...gs-will-leave/

http://minnesota.sbnation.com/minnes...nor-team-leave

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...akes-ugly-turn

http://*******************/articles/...nt-2012-season

http://www.myfoxtwincities.com/story...lly-at-capitol

Old
06-09-2012, 01:15 PM
AdmiralsFan24

I really don't understand what point you're trying to make. Yes, it was difficult to get the stadium deal through, just like it was difficult to pass a tax for Lambeau Field renovations here. Just like it's a fight to get any stadium in any city that uses public funds.

Fact is the Twin Cities have now built stadiums/arenas for the Twins, Gophers football, Wild and soon to be Vikings in the past 15 years and the Wolves are getting their arena renovated.

I still don't understand what that has to do with Suter and him possibly signing with the Wild though.

Old
06-09-2012, 04:38 PM
VFL615*

Quote:
I really don't understand what point you're trying to make. Yes, it was difficult to get the stadium deal through, just like it was difficult to pass a tax for Lambeau Field renovations here. Just like it's a fight to get any stadium in any city that uses public funds.

Fact is the Twin Cities have now built stadiums/arenas for the Twins, Gophers football, Wild and soon to be Vikings in the past 15 years and the Wolves are getting their arena renovated.

I still don't understand what that has to do with Suter and him possibly signing with the Wild though.
I'll repeat it for you: "Do you really think sports franchises in a city do not effect each other. Things they do are voted on by the same city governmernt. If the the city was not going to support a long time franchise like the Vikings if you were the Wild and things were going bad would you not have more of a thought process of getting out of town. In turn if you were Ryan Suter would you want to be a part of something like what the Coyotes are going through."

2nd, You can downplay the problems with the Vikings getting a new place but the facts are in documented writing.

Old
06-09-2012, 05:05 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Quote:
I'll repeat it for you: "Do you really think sports franchises in a city do not effect each other. Things they do are voted on by the same city governmernt. If the the city was not going to support a long time franchise like the Vikings if you were the Wild and things were going bad would you not have more of a thought process of getting out of town. In turn if you were Ryan Suter would you want to be a part of something like what the Coyotes are going through."
The Wild are playing in an arena that opened in 2000. Why would they be in trouble? The Vikings were in trouble because the Metrodome is crap. The Xcel Energy Center isn't and won't be considered crap for the rest of Suter's career, so it really doesn't effect him.

Old
06-09-2012, 06:02 PM
VFL615*

Quote:
The Wild are playing in an arena that opened in 2000. Why would they be in trouble? The Vikings were in trouble because the Metrodome is crap. The Xcel Energy Center isn't and won't be considered crap for the rest of Suter's career, so it really doesn't effect him.
It has nothing to do with the arena it has to do when the Wild suck for years to come is the city going to pick up its losses or will Leipold do a repeat of what he tried in Nashville. Are you aware of what the city of Glendale has forked over to keep the Yotes? Do you think with the trouble over funds for a well established NFL football franchise that the city is going to pony over money to Leipold to keep the Wild in Minni. I doubt highly doubt it.

Old
06-09-2012, 06:20 PM
trevorbird

a bad minnesota team sells over 98% of their tickets. a very good phoenix team sells 72% at discounts and has trouble selling out playoff games. are you seriously going to compare the situation in minnesota to phoenix? you're really reaching here to make a point that doesn't really matter.

Old
06-09-2012, 07:47 PM
token grinder

minnesota is 2 years away from being a solid up and coming team. Add Suter and they can make the playoffs. they are not as bad as people here think.

Old
06-09-2012, 07:56 PM
braindead

Mn with suter is as good as the pred's team.

Closed Thread