Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > QMJHL

Halifax Mooseheads 2012-13 Season

Closed Thread

Old
06-09-2012, 04:35 PM
kalvincline

vCash: 500
Halifax Mooseheads 2012-13 Season

I think it's about time to start a new thread to sepearte talk about last seasons really good performance and start talk about how friggin awesome the 2012-13 season will be. Let's start with a depth chart with some poorly thought out line combination to get arguments started...

Forwards
Drouin - MacKinnon - Frk
Ryan - ?Eichel? - Fournier
Ashley - Boudreau - Cuzner
Ciampini - Andrews - Falkenham

Extras...Lacroix-Courville, Alcade

Defense
Abeltshauser - Duke
Lewis - Gillard
Lovell - Weegar

Extras...Hardie, Desmond, Gibson

Goalie -
Fucale - Nuff said

Overagers
Abeltshauser, Fournier, Gillard, Cuzner

1) Do you think the Moose will trade/drop either Gillard or Cuzner? Gillards' concusion issue was concerning but he looked pretty solid in the playoffs. I think Cuzner is a great energy player and great on the PK.

2) Does anyone have insight on either Lovell or Weegar. All the talk suggests these guys are all but locked in for opening night.

3) The draft appeared to focus on gritter players but is there any kid with a real chance of making the team?

4) A comment about the likely return of Abeltshauser....YESSS!!!*

*As long as he can find a stick that doesn't break every 2nd shot and he actually shoots the friggin puck instead of 'fake shot - pass'

Old
06-09-2012, 05:19 PM
Libbs

I've never been a fan of the double whammy of keeping a player that takes up both an OA and an Import slot.

You also forgot about the recent trade for Fourier. I think Cuzner is the odd man out as well as Hannay. OA's look like Albethauser, Fournier, and Gillard.

Old
06-09-2012, 06:32 PM
Libbs

Also don't pencil Eichel in for at LEAST another 2 years. He is committed to the USNTDP and that is a 2 year commitment. Players don't typically break that commitment because of how much money it costs (over $50,000).

Old
06-09-2012, 06:55 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libbs View Post
Also don't pencil Eichel in for at LEAST another 2 years. He is committed to the USNTDP and that is a 2 year commitment. Players don't typically break that commitment because of how much money it costs (over $50,000).
It actually costs money to break it ? Not that the moose can't afford to pay it....

Alcade will be in LSL next year...

Old
06-09-2012, 07:12 PM
LeafDangler

Quote:
Given the 15th overall pick's value as a trade chip for improving the team's Mem cup chances there is no way Cam Russell drafts Eichel unless he has spoken with him and his family and is confident that he will come over this year or he had a deal elsewhere and can trade him this year.

I see the lineup looking like this until the Christmas trade window:

Drouin-MacKinnon-Fournier
Ryan-Eichel-Frk
Falkenham-Andrews-Ashley
?-Boudreau-Campini

K.A.-Duke
Lewis-Gillard
Weegar-Hardie

Fucale
Terenzio/Daigle

Overagers are K.A., Gillard and Fournier

Old
06-09-2012, 07:13 PM
Libbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveNoCreativity View Post
It actually costs money to break it ? Not that the moose can't afford to pay it....

Alcade will be in LSL next year...
Not to mention all the political BS that is surrounded around the process.

But really the kid will want to leave... I can't remember the last player to break his USNTDP commitment.

Old
06-09-2012, 07:15 PM
bigdirty

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalvincline View Post

2) Does anyone have insight on either Lovell or Weegar. All the talk suggests these guys are all but locked in for opening night.
I asked about Weegar in an Ontario Jr. A thread a while back, sounds like a good quality offensive defenseman. Finished second among D-man in league scoring this year(behind only his much older teammate), and at least at one point this season, he was also ranked by CSB for the 2012 NHL draft. I got the impression he might've made a decent replacement for Abeltshauser, now they might be a nice one-two punch.

Quote:
I've never been a fan of the double whammy of keeping a player that takes up both an OA and an Import slot.

You also forgot about the recent trade for Fourier. I think Cuzner is the odd man out as well as Hannay. OA's look like Albethauser, Fournier, and Gillard.
The Abeltshauser situation definitely complicates things, but it could work out really well if Sherbrooke is as bad as an expansion team should be, seeing as how we now hold their pick in next year's import draft.

If Abeltshauser helps us to a league title, and then we draft the next Yakupov, I think we can officially nominate Cam Russell for sainthood.

Old
06-09-2012, 07:18 PM
LeafDangler

Quote:
Not to mention all the political BS that is surrounded around the process.

But really the kid will want to leave... I can't remember the last player to break his USNTDP commitment.
Short memory. Brandon Shea last year.

Old
06-09-2012, 07:19 PM
Libbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafDangler View Post
Given the 15th overall pick's value as a trade chip for improving the team's Mem cup chances there is no way Cam Russell drafts Eichel unless he has spoken with him and his family and is confident that he will come over this year or he had a deal elsewhere and can trade him this year.
I really couldn't tell you what conversations were had...or if Russell was simply rolling the dice.... I can only speak to what I have seen over the years with regards to the USNTDP. I think a big sign was that Eichel wasn't at the draft.

Old
06-09-2012, 07:22 PM
LeafDangler

Quote:
I really couldn't tell you what conversations were had...or if Russell was simply rolling the dice.... I can only speak to what I have seen over the years with regards to the USNTDP. I think a big sign was that Eichel wasn't at the draft.
Instead he was at home following on the internet. Tweeted out he was "honored" to have been picked right after. Then deleted it. Russell said they have been in contact with the family and are confident he will report.

Old
06-09-2012, 07:23 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
Doesn't mean much... Look at Duclair last year... DeLuca this year... Was Shea there ?

Old
RJQuack

Quote:
Cam wouldn't draft him at #15 if he could only have Eichel at 18yo.

With KA returning it saves money that could buy a euro a la Frk. With that extra cash added to the fact this franchise was very profitable last year makes me believe money won't be an issue for Bobby.

Brandon Shea aswell. You forgot him.

Old
Libbs

Quote:
Short memory. Brandon Shea last year.
Difference. Shea did NOT sign his commitment to the USNTDP. He was guaranteed a spot but never signed. From the sounds of it, Eichel has indeed signed his commitment.

Old
06-09-2012, 07:26 PM
RJQuack

Re: the first post and the line combos.

Hannay is signed in Austria and wasn't on protected list. He's gone. Cuzner is out because Gillard is more valuable when healthy and he's a D. He's likely gone.

Hardie is not an extra. He's penciled in our D as Weegar is an unknown and Lovell aswell.

Old
06-09-2012, 07:30 PM
LeafDangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalifaxDucks View Post
Cam wouldn't draft him at #15 if he could only have Eichel at 18yo.

With KA returning it saves money that could buy a euro a la Frk. With that extra cash added to the fact this franchise was very profitable last year makes me believe money won't be an issue for Bobby.

Brandon Shea aswell. You forgot him.
Bingo. We're not talking about a later round flyer here. Cam used his #1 asset to improve a club that is a borderline contender on this kid. He must have a pretty good idea of how things will play out.

Old
06-09-2012, 07:32 PM
Libbs

Well best of luck to him signing... I've seen this song and dance from US kids for years (following the OHL) and until they are at practice wearing a uniform, don't be overly optimistic.

Old
06-09-2012, 07:36 PM
LeafDangler

Here's an article that really lays out the situation well with quotes from the kid http://metronews.ca/sports/256797/ei...have-to-offer/

I remain cautiously optimistic. Bobby Smith is sitting on a nice chunk of gate money from last year's run...

Old
06-09-2012, 07:42 PM
Libbs

Sorry...but nothing to be excited about with that article. His "advisers" will tell him to stay with the NTDP and the go to NCAA. Like I've said...I've seen this song and dance way too many times to expect a different outcome here.

Old
06-09-2012, 07:48 PM
bigdirty

Quote:
Here's an article that really lays out the situation well with quotes from the kid http://metronews.ca/sports/256797/ei...have-to-offer/

I remain cautiously optimistic. Bobby Smith is sitting on a nice chunk of gate money from last year's run...
The article makes it seem like he was just too good to pass up on, but I'm also leaning towards cautiously optimistic. Plus, on top of the gate money, Bobby Smith is also sitting on however much he made in his 1000+ NHL games. Gotta love having an owner who understands hockey, and isn't afraid to spend his money.

Also, just noticed Eichel is a late '96 birthday, not even eligible until the 2015 NHL Draft, and they're talking about him playing immediately on our second line. I'm really interested to actually see this kid play.

Old
06-09-2012, 07:49 PM
LeafDangler

Quote:
Sorry...but nothing to be excited about with that article. His "advisers" will tell him to stay with the NTDP and the go to NCAA. Like I've said...I've seen this song and dance way too many times to expect a different outcome here.
Nope nothing to be excited about there. I just happened to find that article that clears up a lot of the speculation. We'll have to wait and see how it plays out.

Old
06-09-2012, 07:50 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Is he actually the best player in the draft ??

Old
06-09-2012, 08:48 PM
RJQuack

Quote:
Is he actually the best player in the draft ??
If the Q CSR included American players he'd be for sur #1. Maybe below Audettee but I don't think.

Old
06-09-2012, 09:08 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
If the Q CSR included American players he'd be for sur #1. Maybe below Audettee but I don't think.
What type of player is he ?

Old
06-09-2012, 09:20 PM
RJQuack

Quote:
What type of player is he ?
All around offensive player about the same size as MacKinnon.

2011-12 Boston Jr. Bruins "C" EmJHL 32GP 36G 41A 77PTS

That's very impressive as a 15yo. Sets people up, has a good shot and good one-on-one. As I said, along with the Q reporters and scouts say he's the best player available this year.

Old
06-09-2012, 09:23 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
All around offensive player about the same size as MacKinnon.

2011-12 Boston Jr. Bruins "C" EmJHL 32GP 36G 41A 77PTS

That's very impressive as a 15yo. Sets people up, has a good shot and good one-on-one. As I said, along with the Q reporters and scouts say he's the best player available this year.
So he could step in and be 40-40 ?

Closed Thread