HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Tampa to trade for Jonathan Bernier?

Old
06-09-2012, 06:56 PM
Boltsfan2029

vCash: 698
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopT View Post
My God; it just keeps getting better
My God, you're taking it out of context. Our GM doesn't want to part with the 10th. To do so would take more than Bernier. Just trying to make a point.

No, don't know if the 10th will turn out better than Bernier. Just know that our GM has indicated he is loathe to trade first rounders so I don't think he's going to do so for goalie who is basically unproven at this point.

That said - are you really contending that Bernier is worth two first round picks?

Boltsfan2029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 07:46 PM
ukyo

vCash: 500
How is this thread still going? What happened to everyone being happy with 19th and Connolly for Bernier and Muzzin? That still seems the best fit value wise and it's win-win. We couldn't just leave it at that?

Not that Lombardi or Yzerman are going to be affected by the opinions of HF users anyways...

ukyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 08:07 PM
kingsofLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Yzerman19 View Post
More like
Bernier=/<Connelly
Forbert<10th
Muzzin/Loktionov<<<19th
Haha OK homer, i mean homie

kingsofLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 08:09 PM
ukyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltsfan2029 View Post
My God, you're taking it out of context. Our GM doesn't want to part with the 10th. To do so would take more than Bernier. Just trying to make a point.

No, don't know if the 10th will turn out better than Bernier. Just know that our GM has indicated he is loathe to trade first rounders so I don't think he's going to do so for goalie who is basically unproven at this point.

That said - are you really contending that Bernier is worth two first round picks?
Two first round picks? Probably not; at least I wouldn't do it. But more than just the 10th? You could easily make the case.

If the Kings were willing to take just the 10th for Bernier, basically Yzerman would have the option of "drafting" a 1st-round talent goaltender (Bernier went 11th in his draft year), and as a bonus he gets to skip the six years of development and anti-bust insurance that the Kings have already paid.

Or are you saying that under no circumstances would you ever draft a goaltender with a #10 pick?

ukyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 10:45 PM
KingCanadain1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukyo View Post
How is this thread still going? What happened to everyone being happy with 19th and Connolly for Bernier and Muzzin? That still seems the best fit value wise and it's win-win. We couldn't just leave it at that?

Not that Lombardi or Yzerman are going to be affected by the opinions of HF users anyways...
thats a good question ukyo I think when it was just a value of benier thread it wasnt a thread of interest but since Mckenzie said it was happening it made alot of tampa and king fans take notice of it as well as posters of other teams putting in there 2cents. I think its a case of to many people with different opinion and other over estimating pick and misunderstanding of the actual offers. I guess my posting of wanting to get the 10th added somehow got to people thinking i was trying to get it for bernier which clearly if u read all posts i wasnt Just my opinion of things and how they went wrong and things continued in this thread

KingCanadain1976 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 11:25 PM
Boltsfan2029

vCash: 698
Quote:
Two first round picks? Probably not; at least I wouldn't do it. But more than just the 10th? You could easily make the case.

If the Kings were willing to take just the 10th for Bernier, basically Yzerman would have the option of "drafting" a 1st-round talent goaltender (Bernier went 11th in his draft year), and as a bonus he gets to skip the six years of development and anti-bust insurance that the Kings have already paid.

Or are you saying that under no circumstances would you ever draft a goaltender with a #10 pick?
If I would draft a goalie with a #10 pick is pretty much irrelevant. I don't even think it's relevant whether Steve Yzerman would draft one with the #10 pick, because we're not talking about drafting a goalie, we're talking about trading for one. I don't go along with the "he was drafted at X" so he has to get an equal draft pick back. In this instance, if you're trading, you're getting a player who you have scouted and have seen play at this level. When you're drafting, you're picking someone who has never been in this league. A player drafted high can certainly not turn out as well as his draft position and not be worth a similar draft pick in a trade.

Mr. Yzerman is extremely possessive of his draft picks. It's my opinion that he acquired the second first rounder specifically to use in a trade for a goalie so he would still have a first rounder. Again, just my opinion, to pry the #10 away from him, it would have to be a goalie with more experience than Bernier. And I feel fairly sure he's not going to even consider trading both the 10th and 19th for Bernier as was suggested in the post I was originally responding to.

Boltsfan2029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 07:46 AM
IdealisticSniper

Quote:

Bingo. I wouldn't draft a goaltender in the first round ever let alone that high. Unless we are talking about the Sidney Crosby of goaltenders, the most sure fire hall of famer that could be drafted.

And to the people who are saying Bernier has playoff experience. Yes he has the same playoff experience as the people who paid for the tickets sitting next to him watching the entire game have. Goodie.

IdealisticSniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 09:26 AM
Kusic
Be The Thunder

Send a message via ICQ to Kusic
EDMONTON JOURNAL: Jim Matheson “can see” the Kings moving Jonathan Bernier to the Lightning for Mathieu Garon and one of the Bolts first round picks.

http://spectorshockey.net/blog/sunda...-june-10-2012/

Kusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 09:37 AM
TopT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kusic View Post
EDMONTON JOURNAL: Jim Matheson “can see” the Kings moving Jonathan Bernier to the Lightning for Mathieu Garon and one of the Bolts first round picks.

Well, we have absolutely no need for Garon

TopT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 09:44 AM
PoundCake
Go Bolts!

Quote:
Yeah, backup goalies are unnecessary. Quick should be able to handle 82 games a year no problem.

Seriously though, I doubt this happens as well.

Having a backup that can put in 40 games a season if needed is a very good thing when gambling on a young goalie. I don't see Tampa trading him unless they bring in another guy like him.

I still think the 19th + 2nd gets it done.

PoundCake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 10:54 AM
TopT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoundCake View Post
Yeah, backup goalies are unnecessary. Quick should be able to handle 82 games a year no problem.

Seriously though, I doubt this happens as well.

Having a backup that can put in 40 games a season if needed is a very good thing when gambling on a young goalie. I don't see Tampa trading him unless they bring in another guy like him.

I still think the 19th + 2nd gets it done.
Both Jones and Zatkoff are more than capable backups. You can keep Garon.
19th +2nd will not get it done;19th + Connolly on other hand....

Last edited by TopT: 06-10-2012 at 11:00 AM.
TopT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 10:54 AM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Wouldn't you need a backup, or is someone like Zatkoff ready?

The Fear Boners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 11:24 AM
2 Weekes Notice

Quote:

I know next to nothing about this Spector fella, but I do find it interesting that he considers Garon and a first to be a huge overpayment. Granted, he doesn't say which first rounder.

2 Weekes Notice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 11:25 AM
Confound
-Vindicated-

Quote:

That's a fair deal for both sides.

Confound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 11:44 AM
kinghock

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Weekes Notice View Post
I know next to nothing about this Spector fella, but I do find it interesting that he considers Garon and a first to be a huge overpayment. Granted, he doesn't say which first rounder.
He “can see” is very strong statement.

kinghock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 11:54 AM
2 Weekes Notice

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinghock View Post
He “can see” is very strong statement.
Read the link, homie. Quote from Spector:

"Garon and a first for Bernier? Holy overpayment, Batman!"

2 Weekes Notice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 08:55 AM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Can somebody explain me why Tampa would trade his first round pick (one of them) and Connolly for Bernier? It is NHL not playstation.

mt-svk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 09:00 AM
kinghock

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt-svk View Post
Can somebody explain me why Tampa would trade his first round pick (one of them) and Connolly for Bernier? It is NHL not playstation.
Can somebody explain to me why Kings would trade Bernier without overpayment and without signing Quick first?

Old
06-14-2012, 09:04 AM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Quote:
Can somebody explain to me why Kings would trade Bernier without overpayment and without signing Quick first?
Bernier doesnt have this value, maximum second round pick and Garon or something similar and Tampa knows it, Yzerman isnt Milbury.

Old
06-14-2012, 09:08 AM
Capn Brown

Quote:

Desperation? Seriously, the clock is ticking on Martin St. Louis (age 36) and, to a certain extent, Lecavalier (age 32). This team will have to rebuild within the next 2-3 seasons. They might as well see what having a good goaltender can do. Who knows? With Bernier, they could go deep into the playoffs.

Capn Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 09:09 AM
Minor Boarding

Quote:
Bernier doesnt have this value, maximum second round pick and Garon or something similar and Tampa knows it, Yzerman isnt Milbury.
Garon doesn't have any value to the Kings (zero). Been there done that (glove side high = goal), would rather give a chance to Zatkoff & Jones to be the backup goaltender for Quick.
The proposal of yours would only get a good laugh by Lombardi who isn't in any rush with his RFA goaltender.

Minor Boarding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 09:12 AM
kinghock

Quote:

Your opinion is not necessarily opinion of Yzerman or any other managers of NHL.
Just look for Varlamow deal.

Old
06-14-2012, 09:13 AM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minor Boarding View Post
Garon doesn't have any value to the Kings (zero). Been there done that (glove side high = goal), would rather give a chance to Zatkoff & Jones to be the backup goaltender for Quick.
The proposal of yours would only get a good laugh by Lombardi who isn't in any rush with his RFA goaltender.
I wrote value. Not trade.

Old
06-14-2012, 09:15 AM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Quote:
Your opinion is not necessarily opinion of Yzerman or any other managers of NHL.
Just look for Varlamow deal.
Varlamov showed his qualities in PO... plus Colorado has too much youngs. One draft isnt a big lose for it. But trade one of the best Tampa prospects and first round pick for Bernier is too much.

Btw, Colorado traded first and second round pick... you want Connolly (who was the first round pick) and still first round pick for Bernier... .

Old
06-14-2012, 09:19 AM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Brown View Post
Desperation? Seriously, the clock is ticking on Martin St. Louis (age 36) and, to a certain extent, Lecavalier (age 32). This team will have to rebuild within the next 2-3 seasons. They might as well see what having a good goaltender can do. Who knows? With Bernier, they could go deep into the playoffs.
Tampa needs d-men too. So trade Luke Schenn for first round pick and Connolly?