HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Garth speaks to (former) Season Ticket Holders

Old
06-09-2012, 09:01 PM
Hip Of Rick

vCash: 50
Usually BS by Snow, "we are trying to improve, potential trades and FAs, next year is the year". Of course he also makes a comment that makes himself look incompetent, because SNOW IS INCOMPETENT. Last time it was the Nino promise this time it was team toughness. He thinks the team had toughness and played physical based on one player and a game 2 SEASONS AGO. Snow is a complete fool. Worst GM in sports currently.

SNOW MUST GO!!! NOW!!!

Last edited by Hip Of Rick: 06-09-2012 at 09:07 PM.
Hip Of Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 10:25 PM
Degeneration Rex

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip Of Rick View Post
Usually BS by Snow, "we are trying to improve, potential trades and FAs, next year is the year". Of course he also makes a comment that makes himself look incompetent, because SNOW IS INCOMPETENT. Last time it was the Nino promise this time it was team toughness. He thinks the team had toughness and played physical based on one player and a game 2 SEASONS AGO. Snow is a complete fool. Worst GM in sports currently.

SNOW MUST GO!!! NOW!!!
When Wang goes so does Snow. Until then we are stuck with the " Dynamic Duo."

Degeneration Rex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 12:49 AM
ScaredStreit

“our draft philosophy is best player available. Doesn’t make sense to draft for this team’s needs when that player will be 2 to 4 years away from being fully able to fill them.”

What an idiot.

“We were going nowhere until Bill swung a deal for Butch Goring. After it was explained to me that Butch was the guy from Los Angeles with the weird looking helmet, I wondered why we wouldn’t make a deal to win the cup.”

With respect to Bossy the Isles were contenders BEFORE the Goring trade-something that many people don't realize (the Goring trade just put them over). The current team is nowhere near that-and quite frankly hasn't been anywhere near that level since the dynasty.

ScaredStreit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 06:44 AM
Hip Of Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaredStreit View Post
“our draft philosophy is best player available. Doesn’t make sense to draft for this team’s needs when that player will be 2 to 4 years away from being fully able to fill them.”

What an idiot.

“We were going nowhere until Bill swung a deal for Butch Goring. After it was explained to me that Butch was the guy from Los Angeles with the weird looking helmet, I wondered why we wouldn’t make a deal to win the cup.”

With respect to Bossy the Isles were contenders BEFORE the Goring trade-something that many people don't realize (the Goring trade just put them over). The current team is nowhere near that-and quite frankly hasn't been anywhere near that level since the dynasty.
Not sure if I understand why you call him an idiot. Drafting the BPA is the right move. I think you are calling him an idiot because the "2-4 years" , if you are that is spot on. He is a jackass. Him saying 2-4 years sounds good on paper, its too bad he can't follow his own advice

Again, spot on with the Goring trade. This team is a long way from making a Goring trade. First they need to show they can make any trade while getting an NHL player back.

Hip Of Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 08:12 AM
seafoam

Quote:

What an idiot.

Quote:
Not sure if I understand why you call him an idiot. Drafting the BPA is the right move. I think you are calling him an idiot because the "2-4 years" , if you are that is spot on. He is a jackass. Him saying 2-4 years sounds good on paper, its too bad he can't follow his own advice

Again, spot on with the Goring trade. This team is a long way from making a Goring trade. First they need to show they can make any trade while getting an NHL player back.
I think he means he wouldn't draft for need if that player was two to four years away (i.e. Dumba). But he did not say he wouldn't draft for need if that player was NHL ready (i.e. Murray)

We'll see draft day, Murray is going to fall into our laps, and could fall even farther than us.

seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 08:25 AM
Janson
fireSNOW

Quote:

What an idiot.
Your absolutely right , what a contradicting idiot. 2-4 years is the kind of time Snow gave Bailey, Nino, and Koskinen to develop.

Janson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 12:12 PM
Bossy573

Quote:

With respect to Bossy the Isles were contenders BEFORE the Goring trade-something that many people don't realize (the Goring trade just put them over).
If I had to guess, Bossy was probably talking about the 79-80 team in particular. That team was having a dreadful to mediocre season right up until the Goring trade. From that point on, they did not lose going into the playoffs (something like 15 straight - been a long time so my memory is hazy) and eventually finished 5th overall.

Bossy573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 01:45 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Ivan View Post
I was gonna post that! (us old people remember these greats)

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 02:45 PM
HyeDray
HFB Partner

His comment about drafting BPA rather then need is a little bit of a change. I think he has done a little of both all along by the way, but I also think Snow is VERY calculating. This is not a "dumb" guy regardless of fan impatience.

This is year 4 of the rebuild no matter how some may want to suggest we have been "rebuilding for 20 years." That is simply not truthful. Milbury was not "rebuilding" from 2001-02 through 2006-07.

Snow has to be feeling more pressure then ever before to get this team over the hump and into the playoffs. I honestly believe that is his and to a degree Charles Wang's mindset. A winning team makes them relevant, which increases their bargaining position on an arena. I believe that is why Thompson was moved up and it would not surprise me to see Snow add a former head coach as another Assistant.

Snow's remarks about deals is VERY interesting. It makes me wonder that a deal could be in place if "his guy" is not there at #4 this season. he is also correct that unless you get lucky, and your pick is good enough to transition right to an impact roll (like JT) it is going to take 2-4 seasons for him to be a significant impact guy. A trade could help big time.

A team like the Sharks, Flames, Ducks, Stars and Blue Jackets all have some very good players they have tried to build with and win with and it has not worked. Those teams may be willing to deal a late 20s early 30s player with a contract for an injection of youth and a pick to shake up the team some.

We have a glut of forwards in particular, and we could package 1-2 with a pick to yield a top 4 defenseman perhaps. I could also see him dealing for a forward to beef up the top 6 with more experience.

I liked that he seems "past" DiPietro. Overall, we need some bounce back from Grabs, we need KO and JB to start the season in October rather then December, and we need Snow to address the blueline in particular in order for the team to takea step forward. I also have to believe CAappy is on a short leash.

HyeDray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 05:14 PM
RoseTintedVisor
Frans Nielsen?!?!?

Just as an FYI guys, I also scored an interview with Adam Proteau of The Hockey News.

http://puckbuddys.com/2012/06/02/int...-adam-proteau/

Among the topics you would be interested in, The media perception of the NYI, his thoughts on players like Martin and Haley, and his feelings on the culpability of the league and the penguins in the fracas of last February.

RoseTintedVisor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 09:03 PM
CanseiDeSerBreakcore
Phrasing, 1st, BOOM.

(Insert opinion of "ex-poly sci" major vindicating Snow and incrimination of Wang's cheapness here.)

Nothing about Wang tells me he'd give up long enough of a leash for a more experienced GM to make enough of a difference while Snow - for all his inexperience & flaws - looks more like a one-legged man in an ass-kicking contest.

Don't worry, though - four legs good, two legs bad, right?

CanseiDeSerBreakcore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 11:10 PM
LeapOnOver

Thanks for posting this. Thanks to the original writer. I am so glad Snow didn't blow smoke up everyone's ass and say that it is going to be easy to get a top 4 defenseman. He could have said some crap like, "I'm going to vigorously pursue a top 4 and solidify our defense I promise." Instead he shot straight from the hip and was truthful. He was also truthful on DP and all these people saying that he is Wang's guy and they will keep playing him were just proved wrong if Snow is being truthful (which I believe he is). His attitude on DP is the same attitude I would take.

Also it's hilarious to watch posters bring up PA leaving for nothing, but they are the same ones when a trade to bring in a guy that only has 1 year left says, no way!! He is only good for one season. You think PA was going to bring something of value back as a 3 month rental, you are NUTS!

Here was the option with PA:

Keep him, knowing that his contract is up in the air because he is not going to talk about an extension until the season is over, and hope he resigns here at the figure you have in mind

or

trade him for a high round pick and call it quits

If you think there was another option you are completely wrong!!!! I choose the former every day, every second.

Sometimes I wonder if fans on this board actually follow the rest of hockey and see what happens throughout the league.

So Snow seems to admit he's willing to give up assets to solve some glaring issues it'll be interesting to see what he does. In the past he claimed there wasn't the assets to make the trade, but now that he admits they are he will be held accountable if he can't make something work. I have a feeling a trade for a top 4 will end up with us giving away some pretty bright players that will be impact players for their team in the long run. It is what it is though.

Oh, and to add, that Snow is the same as almost EVERY GM in the league who goes with the philosophy BPA. He is absolutely right on this!!

LeapOnOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 06:40 AM
Pnut

All you guys are worrying about PAP Smear, when Snow said:

Quote:
“We could not foresee this string of injuries when he signed that contract. He was an all-star. If he can come back, we will welcome him. But the position can be held down by Anders, Kevin and possibly Mikko, mentored by Nabokov while we see if Ricky can come back.”
Ding Dong the witch is dead (well almost)

The fact that Snow can say that without Wang having a stroke is great. And yet you guys are talking about Smear leaving. Dont forget that I am his (PAP's) biggest supporter.

DP not being the #1 or #2 or #1b is SUPER IMPORTANT and GREAT.

Snow also said twice that he wants to move assets for a top 4 dman, which I have been calling for since before 2 seasons ago. Now he says we have the assets

These 2 stories are ****ing awesome and you guys are focusing on PAP?

Pnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 10:35 AM
SLAPSHOT723
Look out!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pnut View Post

The fact that Snow can say that without Wang having a stroke is great. And yet you guys are talking about Smear leaving. Dont forget that I am his (PAP's) biggest supporter.

Snow also said twice that he wants to move assets for a top 4 dman, which I have been calling for since before 2 seasons ago. Now he says we have the assets

People will do anything to stay negative around here.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 10:51 AM
Isles Junkie
Brian Strait Sucks

I think that no one is going nuts over the DP omission because by now NYI fans know that DP is a non factor anyway. That know that even if he were to be on the NHL roster, it would be a short term nuisance before he's on IR.

Isles Junkie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 11:18 AM
Doug Height
Okposwag

Quote:

To be fair though, didn't Snow say he was going to get a top 4 dman last year too?

Doug Height is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 11:18 AM
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang

PNut, people are worried about PAP because who is going to replace his 70 pts next year? No one on the current roster is my bet. No one in the minors is going to give the Isles 70 pts next year either. Big loss in production. Let's see what GMG does to make up for those points.

IslesFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 11:27 AM
Gradin

Quote:

What an idiot.

Umm...I'm no Garth shill, but do admit I'm much more positive about this team's potential future than 99% of the board I jumped ship off of after 10 years of solid committment (I-Mania) to return to HF.

Snow did not say it would be 2-4 years before they make the team. What he said was you draft BPA because it's usually 2-4 years before they fully fill the need (i.e are ready to be prime contributors on the NHL level).

Big difference...and he happens to be correct both in his claim and his belief in going for the BPA.

People will inevitably use the "they ruined Bailey" retort, to which my reply is that the only entity that knows if Josh Bailey would be any better if he had been groomed more traditionally is God. Personally I'm not convinced his progression would have been any different. Some guys simply aren't that good and/or take more time than others.

Nino??? Call me crazy but I think in the end he will have gotten more out of his NHL experience last year than if he went back as a physically dominant Junior player. I stand by that. If Bridgeport were an option last year and he was kept on the NHL roster I'd be singing a different tune. It wasn't. We'll see in the end.

As for the rest of Garth's proclamations there's no other way to take it other than to have a "believe it when I see it" mentality. But if they can finally make a significant hockey trade or two and add the top 4/top 6 established players they need this team is finally gonna take the next step.

Last edited by Gradin: 06-11-2012 at 12:14 PM.
Gradin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 11:28 AM
Twine Seeking Missle
Go monkey go!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesFanatic View Post
Let's see what GMG does to make up for those points.
He will sign 35 players who average 2 points per season.

Twine Seeking Missle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 11:36 AM
ScaredStreit

Quote:

My point was the 2-4 years (not BPA). He rushes players constantly. He's too impatient to give players 2 years of developing-let alone 4.

None of the young guys on the team have had more than 1 year in Bridgeport (off the top of my head). I think you always go BPA. But being NHL ready doesn't always make somebody the BPA though, you have to consider the position, style, size, etc.

ScaredStreit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 11:48 AM
A Pointed Stick
W.W.J.C.D?

vCash: 250
Quote:

Snow also said twice that he wants to move assets for a top 4 dman, which I have been calling for since before 2 seasons ago. Now he says we h

Words are cheap. He was singing a different tune 30 days ago on making moves if you bother to find tge quote. Are you saying that you believe him 100%, and what he says has never been incorrect in the end?

I am surprised there is anyone left in the fan base who takes Wang or Garth at their word, all things from the past considered.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 12:43 PM
Brunomics

I might have held some stock in what he said if this meeting happened after June 1st when he would have to be held accountable for what didn't get done besides the DP thing which I think he's legit on because it's a current issue.

Anything now from him just rings hollow.

Brunomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 01:00 PM
HyeDray
HFB Partner

Quote:

Have to admit — keeping PAP would be a good thing but at the same time, I think adding a legit top pair defender by dealing a few assets is more important.

The DP part of this is also great.

Having a better D should help the O overall = more overall team balance. Starting the season with 2 goalie also will be far better then 3.

Moving assets is tough. Im not sure that I would want to see Nino move or Strome as an example. The assets being moved have to be the right mix to bring back the best yield, and still keep the rebuild in tact.

Not an easy job!

HyeDray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 01:08 PM
bluechipbonzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Height View Post
To be fair though, didn't Snow say he was going to get a top 4 dman last year too?
Leaving out the Ehroff saga speaks volumes here, negative nancy.

bluechipbonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 01:36 PM
CanseiDeSerBreakcore
Phrasing, 1st, BOOM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluechipbonzo View Post
Leaving out the Ehroff saga speaks volumes here, negative nancy.
Beat me to it.

CanseiDeSerBreakcore is online now   Reply With Quote