HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Crosby Signing a 10-Year Deal Worth $90 Million?

Old
06-09-2012, 09:47 PM
Ceremony
Why Not Us?

vCash: 772
10 years for someone whose ability to play even one season is still sketchy is one hell of a leap if you ask me. If this is true then good luck to him, since you never want to see someone's career ended by injury, but I don't see it working out for them.

Ceremony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 09:49 PM
Zoidberg Jesus
Chokers Unite!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Liskeard View Post
Why? If Crosby has to retire early due to concusions after signing a 10 year deal, it would not count against the cap.
Or he could not retire, and keep collecting paychecks and free medical care. No one turns down free money. If he gets hurt bad, he'll see that contract through to the end. It'll go on LTIR of course, but it still means you can kiss any prorated cap space, and thus any significant TDL additions, goodbye.

Zoidberg Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 09:49 PM
Roof Daddy

Uhhh, this was pure speculation by the Hot Stove panel that he would take 9 mil so the team could remain competitive. Don't get me wrong, he seems like the kind of guy to take a discount to make it happen, but if he signs that long-term and isn't at least the highest paid player at the time of signing (Ovie @9.53mil), he and his agent will get skewered by the PA and fellow agents, especially going into a CBA re-negotiation.

IMO, 10 mil is a little more realistic.

Roof Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 10:07 PM
magic school bus

vCash: 153
Let me guess ... $8.7M cap hit?

magic school bus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 10:09 PM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJudge View Post
I have always thought that Parise is pretty much the ideal winger for Crosby.

They would be a scary combo.
You could pretty much had the east over too the PENS if they got Parise....

That would be Insane, I would be pissed.....

StrongIslanders90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 10:10 PM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Liskeard View Post
Why? If Crosby has to retire early due to concusions after signing a 10 year deal, it would not count against the cap.
Tell that to DiPietro....

These guys cant walk away from the game they love.....

StrongIslanders90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 10:10 PM
PoundCake
Go Bolts!

I'm still assuming he is going to wind up with a 10mil a yr, long term contract. But that's still a discount for a player like him.

I'm sure there is some injury concern, but he's 100% healthy now isn't he? There are options if injuries become a problem again.

PoundCake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 10:24 PM
YuioIklo

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylonus View Post
He can get 14 million, but takes a 5 million dollar pay cut (For you math geeks, that's a 37% discount) to stay here and help the team win.

I thought he wasn't a good leader?
Still asking for 9M a year... which is 13% of the cap. The team has to sign 20 players. I wonder why there hasn't been a smart player who decided to sign for 1M (honestly, you won't starve with 1M/year... I probably wont even get 1M in my whole life) so his team has a lot of room to deal with. Imagine if 2-3 star players did that and played together, holy crap. But they would rather have a bigger house, a better car, etc. It's not about Crosby, I've said it about many players getting big contracts.

YuioIklo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 10:33 PM
hyster110

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuioIklo View Post
Still asking for 9M a year... which is 13% of the cap. The team has to sign 20 players. I wonder why there hasn't been a smart player who decided to sign for 1M (honestly, you won't starve with 1M/year... I probably wont even get 1M in my whole life) so his team has a lot of room to deal with. Imagine if 2-3 star players did that and played together, holy crap. But they would rather have a bigger house, a better car, etc. It's not about Crosby, I've said it about many players getting big contracts.
the real question is how does this affect malkins contract negotiations

hyster110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 10:46 PM
Ragamuffin Gunner
Lost in The Flood

You have to e crazy to think that Sid will sign a contract that isn't 8.7M a year. He's way too superstitious and makes enough money in endorsements that it's not that big of a hit.

Ragamuffin Gunner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 10:52 PM
PoundCake
Go Bolts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragamuffin Gunner View Post
You have to be crazy to think that Sid will sign a contract that isn't 8.7M a year. He's way too superstitious and makes enough money in endorsements that it's not that big of a hit.
10.87mil a yr?

PoundCake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 10:58 PM
Altimus
Probably drunk

Send a message via AIM to Altimus Send a message via MSN to Altimus
not gonna lie, anything less then the cap max is a steal for Sidney Crosby, call him all the names you want, when he's healthy, he is the last player you want to play against.

Altimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 11:28 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93gilmour93 View Post
Hot stove was saying he could get 14 million a year which would be the max but would take around 9 because he wants to win. They also said this would spell the end for Jordan Staal.
A 9 million cap hit is only 300k more than what Crosby is already making though. I doubt that 300k automatically spells the end of Jordan Staal in Pittsburgh. The bigger issue with Staal is whether he's happy in his role and he hasn't really talked much about it to this point. I think the Pens would gladly pay him a lot of money.

I also agree with the posters saying anything less than the max is a steal for Crosby. They could pay that guy the max and they still wouldn't be paying him enough for the amount of fan interest and money he makes that organization.

Captain Hook is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 11:39 PM
NYRSchrute217

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post

Haven't we learned already paper champs almost never win. The 2011 Heat, 2011 Eagles, 2009 Red Wings, 2008 Rangers (after Drury and Gomez signed) all lost after everyone picked them to win it all in the preseason. The Penguins would be even better with Parise but to crown them Conference Champs just because of that would be ridiculous. They'd still have a lot of questions on defense and in goal.

NYRSchrute217 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 11:41 PM
Fordy
the kid signify

Quote:
Because the NHLPA would lose their minds if star players tried to sign contracts that low.

Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 11:43 PM
DJOpus

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post

That's what they said about this year's playoffs too...(they were less than 2 to 1 to win the east going into the playoffs).

You still need to play the games and we all know hockey is 60% goaltending, unless you don't have a good one, then its 100%.

DJOpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 11:46 PM
SCUDeriMISSILE
We traded Staal

If true, Pens will be a big player for Parise.

And Jesus what a bargain for Crosby. I will be shocked/elated if he signs for anything under 10M.

SCUDeriMISSILE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 12:22 AM
Ugene Malkin
****!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceremony View Post
10 years for someone whose ability to play even one season is still sketchy is one hell of a leap if you ask me. If this is true then good luck to him, since you never want to see someone's career ended by injury, but I don't see it working out for them.

Think of it this way, they'll be able to go over the cap by 9.0 every season to replace him just like every other team can do with their players.

Edit: but will that 9.0 be his cap number or just his salary. He had salary of 9.0 x 4 seasons and then 1 at 7.5 to give him a cap number of 8.7?

He could work it out in the same manner but have two seasons at 7.5 to give him the same 8.7 cap hit.

Ugene Malkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 01:04 AM
The Bored Man

vCash: 537
One of the few players who really merits this kind of contract.

The Bored Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 01:19 AM
HavlatMach9

Surprised it isn't a 5 year deal instead, long but not too long regarding health issues, obviously the annual amount is up to Crosby.

If there was no cap, I wonder if any team would pay him 15-20m a year, I think teams would seriously consider it.

HavlatMach9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 01:21 AM
dennilfloss
Yes I love disco!

The mention of $14 million confuses me. I was under the impression that $10 million was set as the yearly salary limit a few years ago.

dennilfloss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 01:23 AM
Tender Rip
No cap on coaching!

Nothing could possibly surprise me less than Crosby keeping his 8.7 million dollar cap/hit and signing a contract that takes him to +35.

Hilarious that reports mention "a deal aclose to 9 million per" as an educated guess..... or even valuable insight.... when that is what he is getting now.

And to those talking about the risk.... considering how much additional revenue the Penguins get because of Crosby being on our team, our owners hardly even pay him. There is no team in the league that wouldn't offer a 10 year deal to Crosby if he was an UFA.

Last edited by Tender Rip: 06-10-2012 at 01:38 AM.
Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 01:24 AM
Eternal Leaf

Quote:

Would you take a big decrease in pay at work? Doesn't matter if they earn a lot, money is money.

They have a limited time to play. One injury and it's all over. They want to have some security cause once you are injured no one cares about you. It doesn't matter if you were a star or a dud. It's all one and the same.

I don't blame players for trying to rake in money.

Eternal Leaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 01:26 AM
Tender Rip
No cap on coaching!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennilfloss View Post
The mention of $14 million confuses me. I was under the impression that $10 million was set as the yearly salary limit a few years ago.
When the cap was 50 million. The limit was/is 20% of the total cap. The new cap being 70.3 million, Crosby could theoretically ask for slightly more than 14.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 01:26 AM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
It's a percentage of the cap. When the cap goes up the ceiling does too.

DisgruntledHawkFan is online now   Reply With Quote