HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

v19: off-season '12 - Landry Fields agrees to offer sheet (3 years, 19 million)

Closed Thread

Old
06-07-2012, 09:42 PM
Dr.Funk

vCash: 1060
Quote:
Originally Posted by showtime8 View Post
So what's the direction that the Raps head into free agency then? If they dish the 8th overall pick then you have to surround whoever they get.

Is Deron Williams an option for point guard?
Deron isn't an option but it is sure sounding more and more like steve Nash is a real strong possibility to sign.

Old
06-07-2012, 10:09 PM
Eytinge

vCash: 500
I like Steve Nash too much to see him end his career without a ring. If he signs here, its for money/term/team canada duties.

Old
06-07-2012, 10:13 PM
Chandrashekhar Limit
ORANJE 4 LYFE

There's no chance Deron Williams comes to us.

Old
06-07-2012, 10:44 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by helicon1 View Post
I don't really see that as fair at all. With the luxury tax change cap space is at even more of a premium. If we're providing them with all that space there's no need to include the pick. If it's Kleza+ed+calderon, then yeah you're probably including the pick. But Bayless+Davis? No way. Gay is a very good player, but one being payed an elite salary.
Cap space is premium, sure, but you don't just give away players like Gay. Memphis won't give him away, they'd have other suitors who would pay more than Kleiza + Davis + Calderon. The guy has averaged 19 points and 6(ish) boards for pretty much his entire career. Incredibly consistent. He's a damn good player, and even though cap space will be the primary motivating reason they are trading him, they won't give him away for nothing. He's not Hedo useless.

Not only, I believe with the proposed package, they actually on similar salary to what Gay is making. It doesn't work for them.

Any interest in pursuing RFA JJ Hickson? He was waived this past season and is an RFA with Portland. Now they may want to keep him due to Alridge's flesh eating bacteria issue, but if they don't, I think he'd be a nice player to get.

If we trade Davis(and it looks like he won't be a Raptor for too much longer), he could provide nice depth behind Bargs. Only 23, great offensive post player. Needs to work on his defense, but he's got some talent.

06-07-2012, 10:45 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eytinge View Post
I like Steve Nash too much to see him end his career without a ring. If he signs here, its for money/term/team canada duties.
I have my doubts Nash would consider us truth be told. He's said that he'd consider Miami if they came calling, if by chance the Celtics beat them in game 7, I could see them pursuing Nash and Nash accepting.

Old
06-08-2012, 04:44 AM
Eytinge

He'd be a great fit in Indiana, they have big men that can score in Hibbert and West, wings that can shoot in Granger and George and a solid bench. They just need better point guard play as Hill and Collison aren't great playmakers. Nash would be perfect for them.

Old
06-08-2012, 08:15 AM
Cool Hand Luke

Three way deal at draft:

To Memphis:
Linus Klezia
Ed Davis
8th overall (From Toronto)

To New Orleans:
Jose Calderon

To Toronto:
Rudy Gay
Emeka Okafor
10th overall (from New Orleans)

It works!
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=ct4ewg3

Draft: Kendall Marshall

Sign: Steve Nash, Bayless

Nash/Marshall
Derozan/Bayless
Gay/J. Johnson
Bargs/A. Johnson
Okafor/JV

Old
06-08-2012, 10:45 AM
philb613

There's reports that the Raptors promised Waiters they'd pick him although Colangelo has denied it, there may be some truth to it.

Old
06-08-2012, 11:52 AM
Hyperglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eytinge View Post
Even if he signs on a contender there's no guarantee he gets a ring. *cough* Vince Carter *cough*

Old
06-08-2012, 12:12 PM
Habsfan18
Global Moderator
The Future

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap...s_Blazers_Suns

Quote:
Toronto is known to be very high on Waiters, but they have been open to shopping their pick.

"His agent has told me there's a promise to another team," said Bryan Colangelo to Doug Smith. "Regardless, if he's on the board he's in our mix."

06-08-2012, 12:44 PM
helicon1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
Cap space is premium, sure, but you don't just give away players like Gay. Memphis won't give him away, they'd have other suitors who would pay more than Kleiza + Davis + Calderon. The guy has averaged 19 points and 6(ish) boards for pretty much his entire career. Incredibly consistent. He's a damn good player, and even though cap space will be the primary motivating reason they are trading him, they won't give him away for nothing. He's not Hedo useless.

Not only, I believe with the proposed package, they actually on similar salary to what Gay is making. It doesn't work for them.

Any interest in pursuing RFA JJ Hickson? He was waived this past season and is an RFA with Portland. Now they may want to keep him due to Alridge's flesh eating bacteria issue, but if they don't, I think he'd be a nice player to get.

If we trade Davis(and it looks like he won't be a Raptor for too much longer), he could provide nice depth behind Bargs. Only 23, great offensive post player. Needs to work on his defense, but he's got some talent.
It's just the nature of the nba now, you're going to get cap dumps of good (not great) players making the max or near it. Heisley has been pretty adamant that they won't be paying the luxury tax. That means one of the main three guys (Gay, Gasol, Randolph) has to go. It's more about next year anyway. If they don't trade any of those three (or Conley) they have about 60 million tied up into 4 guys next season. Calderon expires after this season so that's big savings there and fewer roster sports left to fill. It helps this year too, with them not having to fill out the roster with minimum guys.

Anyway, I'm not arguing that I think that's the deal Memphis should or would take (although it is very feasible), moreso that the Raptors shouldn't be giving up their pick unless they're returning some salary themselves. Either massive cap space or the pick. Not both. Because yes teams will be forced to give up good players making elite money.

Old
06-08-2012, 12:51 PM
FreeBird
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandrashekhar Limit View Post
There's no chance Deron Williams comes to us.
That's why they should never trade their picks, the only way they get a SS is to draft one. The last 1st rd pick they traded was Roy Hibbert.

Old
06-08-2012, 12:53 PM
FreeBird
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuseppe Sallo View Post
Me thinks BC will make a big trade. It's do or die for him.
I've seen his trades, no Thank You.

Old
06-08-2012, 04:16 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Chad Ford talked up Andrew Nicholson in his last look at the draft combine. He thinks that his slotting of Nicholson at 22 in his last mock draft might represent the lowest he goes, not the highest.

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."

Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
Old
06-09-2012, 12:29 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/80...rizzlies-owner

Grizzlies owner Michael Heisley is denying reports that the team is looking to shop Rudy Gay.

Keep in mind though that Heisley is a lying, two-faced, unethical sack of crap. He could just as easily turn around tomorrow and ship Gay off for nothing and then shrug his shoulders at the Memphis fans and say "there's nothing else we could do." *******.

Old
06-09-2012, 03:05 PM
Edgeworth*

How do I get better at NBA2K12

Also is there a site to visit to just kinda get a proper introduction on basketball cause I still dont understand some things.

Old
06-09-2012, 04:34 PM
MVP of West Hollywd

It's pretty clear to me that the target is Gay and we're saying "Well we could just get Iguodala instead then" as our leverage against them.

Gay is about to turn 26 and has 3 years of contract after this, at which point he'll be 29, still a solid age to extend him when our core is developed and ready. Iguodala is 28 and a half and will be 30 and a half in 2 years when his contract runs out. It leaves us in a spot where he either walks at 30 (not out of the question, lots of players at 30 want to go to contenders and we likely won't be one) or we have to pay him a huge contract, and Iguodala is exactly the type of player who don't want to pay big at 30, once his athleticism goes that'll be it for him. So we'd be dealing our pick for the value of Iguodala's next 2 years, at a max deal. Everything after that has no asset value to us, because he's both unsigned and even if we do resign him, it'll likely be at a negative value deal.

Trading our draft pick for Gay is probably an unwise move but defendable. Trading it for Iguodala would be awful, awful, awful. A lottery team trading their pick for a 28.5 year old who's a UFA in 2 years is almost a parody version of "Horrible move"

Old
06-09-2012, 05:29 PM
Revolt

A bit off topic but does anyone have a stream for tonights Game 7 between Miami and Boston?

Old
06-09-2012, 05:41 PM
Chandrashekhar Limit
ORANJE 4 LYFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeBird View Post
That's why they should never trade their picks, the only way they get a SS is to draft one. The last 1st rd pick they traded was Roy Hibbert.
IIRC, the trade was agreed upon before the draft, but could not be completed due to some reason.

Indiana actually asked BC to pick Hibbert for them with the 17th pick. No guarantee that the Raps would've taken him.

If 8th OV + Davis kind of deal gets us an impact player like Gay, I would be all for it.

Old
06-09-2012, 06:16 PM
helicon1

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/80...rizzlies-owner

Grizzlies owner Michael Heisley is denying reports that the team is looking to shop Rudy Gay.

Keep in mind though that Heisley is a lying, two-faced, unethical sack of crap. He could just as easily turn around tomorrow and ship Gay off for nothing and then shrug his shoulders at the Memphis fans and say "there's nothing else we could do." *******.
Even the way he phrases the denial leaves a lot of wiggle room. They're not "looking" to trade Gay or shopping him, but teams are certainly free to make offers. That's what I get from it anyway.

And remember the Gasol to the Lakers trade? An exact quote:

"Thereís no damn way that anybody is going to trade Pau Gasol,í Heisley said, his voice booming through the telephone. íIím telling you that ainít going to happen. Thatís out the window.í"

Yeah, it was from quite a while before the trade, but the idea that Heisley is a snake and not to be trusted is the take away message here.

Actually I just checked and the quote was from further back then I thought. Point still stands though.

Old
06-09-2012, 10:50 PM
Eytinge

Bosh is way more clutch with the Heat than he ever was with the Raps.

Old
06-09-2012, 11:05 PM
Edgeworth*

From what I've looked into it, admittedly I'm real green behind the ears but what's the problem with trading for Gay? Besides Jersey sales tanking, I can't see a downside with trading a pick that we'd probably be using the pick on Lilliard (The 6'4 SG I think?)

Davis has no real place here and Calderon is leaving anyway, if we can replace him wiht Nash then why not?

Jonas
Bargnani
J. Johnson
Gay
Nash

isn't too bad of a starting 5.

Old
06-09-2012, 11:10 PM
Bionda

I'm tired of idiotic talking heads on ESPN, and ex-players trashing this team. People treat Toronto like it is a soviet gulag. It's just so frustrating.. we need some measure of success desperately.

The Nash rumours are ridiculous, he isn't coming here (he wants to finish his career with a contender). I'd rather not get a limited player like Iguodala (his value will depreciate quickly), nor do I think we can secure Rudy Gay. I'm so depressed/cynical about the franchise's future

Old
06-10-2012, 12:05 AM
Giuseppe Sallo
ELE-VAT-ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bionda View Post
I'm so depressed/cynical about the franchise's future
I'm depressed in seeing Toronto teams fail every year. It's getting pathetic.

Old
06-10-2012, 12:39 AM
Eytinge

Yeah its frustrating that people consider this team on the level of the Wizards or Bobcats (Charles Barkley) but with one second round appearance in over 15 years its not unwarranted. That's why I was big on Tank City which failed this year. Get some real young talent that will grow up here.

Closed Thread