HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

[STL/CAR] Chris Stewart for Tim Gleason

Old
06-10-2012, 12:46 AM
River City Rumble
Registered Loser

vCash: 500
[STL/CAR] Chris Stewart for Tim Gleason

Give or take on both sides, that's up for discussion.

It would give Pietrangelo a pretty gritty partner (a 2nd, younger, less injury-prone Jackman) and would give the Hurricanes a run-and-gun power winger.

Does this sound reasonable for both sides?

River City Rumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 01:01 AM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverCityRumble View Post

It would give Pietrangelo a pretty gritty partner (a 2nd, younger, less injury-prone Jackman) and would give the Hurricanes a run-and-gun power winger.

I'd prefer if the Blues could acquire a Gleason-like player without giving up Stewart, but if all other options fall through, this might work... I don't see any real tweaking necessary, especially from the Blues' end. If Carolina could be persuaded to add a pick in this draft, so much the better.

I'm pretty adamant about the Blues only trading Stewart to an Eastern Conference club, where the chances of him coming back to hurt the Blues are minimal.

Prussian_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 01:20 AM
River City Rumble
Registered Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prussian_Blue View Post
If Carolina could be persuaded to add a pick in this draft, so much the better.

I'm pretty adamant about the Blues only trading Stewart to an Eastern Conference club, where the chances of him coming back to hurt the Blues are minimal.
I agree on both points; from the Blues' end I'd like to see a 2nd round pick from Carolina, and could go down to a 2nd round pick swap.

Chris Stewart had a bad season, and might be on the losing end if the Blues switch to a more defensive style. If he goes to Carolina he has a lot better chance of becoming the Iginla-like player people were expecting.

Old
06-10-2012, 01:45 AM
mstad101

Contracts would neglect any Cane's adding. It would actually be the Blues adding

mstad101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 02:21 AM
River City Rumble
Registered Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstad101 View Post
Contracts would neglect any Cane's adding. It would actually be the Blues adding
OK. Is there anything else that would need to happen, or does this work for Carolina also?

Old
06-10-2012, 07:18 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
Gleason has an NTC, so it won't be happening. I like where you're coming from on this one though.

DaveG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 07:59 AM
MiKE5889

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverCityRumble View Post

Seems like quite an interesting proposal.

The Canes add some more offense in Stewart, meanwhile the Blues acquire another solid top 4 left handed d-man.

Depending on what impact Schwartz (and possibly Tarasenko) has next season, Stewarts departure might actually go by unnoticed production wise. I wouldn't expect a trade like this to happen prior to or during the draft though. Carolina would pretty much have to make sure that they could sign a replacement for Gleason via free agency, before they deal him, or they would probably be left with quite a big hole on defense.

MiKE5889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 08:07 AM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

Not gonna happen, Stewart will get another oppertunity here next season. Any news down your way in cane country on Jordon Staal reuniting with Eric? Jordon Staal would look great in a Blues Uniform, IMO.

JustOneB4IDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 09:11 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBlue1967 View Post
Not gonna happen, Stewart will get another oppertunity here next season. Any news down your way in cane country on Jordon Staal reuniting with Eric? Jordon Staal would look great in a Blues Uniform, IMO.
They're interested for sure, but no clue what the price is going to be. Almost certainly Sutter is going to be involved in the package if it happens this offseason. Frankly I think the Pens would be smart to just keep him themselves to make another run at the cup and then trade him at the 2013 draft even if they get a diminished return on it.

DaveG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 10:26 AM
wej20

Quote:
I'd prefer if the Blues could acquire a Gleason-like player without giving up Stewart, but if all other options fall through, this might work... I don't see any real tweaking necessary, especially from the Blues' end. If Carolina could be persuaded to add a pick in this draft, so much the better.

I'd say Gleason's value is greater than Stewart right now so Blues should be adding the pick.

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 10:49 AM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
I'd say Gleason's value is greater than Stewart right now so Blues should be adding the pick.
I'd say you're wrong; a 24-year-old forward with back-to-back 28-goal NHL seasons under his belt is still far more valuable than a 29-year-old defenseman with minimal scoring upside, even if the forward just had a 15-goal season while playing in a style that absolutely does not maximize his strengths.

And before anyone says, "well, then why not just keep Stewart?" First of all, that's definitely an option, and secondly, if Stewart is traded, it will be because management has decided that he just will not be able to adapt his game to the style that Hitchcock prefers.

It's the more defensive style that Hitchcock preaches, that was the direct cause of Stewart's drop in production. Stewart is more effective in a more wide-open, run-and-gun type of offense, which the Blues do not play and will not be playing as long as Hitchcock is the coach.

Stewart's and Gleason's contracts are just about a wash ($3-3.5 MM range for each), so it should be the 'Canes adding -- and not all that much, I'd say a third round pick or a very high fourth-round pick -- in order to equalize the differences in age and output.

Last edited by Prussian_Blue: 06-10-2012 at 10:56 AM.
Old
06-10-2012, 10:51 AM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
Gleason has an NTC, so it won't be happening. I like where you're coming from on this one though.
Is there a possibility that Gleason would waive his NTC in order to have a chance to pair with one of the league's best up-and-coming young defensemen, while playing for a legitimate contender?

Old
06-10-2012, 10:58 AM
wej20

Quote:
I'd say you're wrong; a 24-year-old forward with back-to-back 28-goal NHL seasons under his belt is still far more valuable than a 29-year-old defenseman with minimal scoring upside, even if the forward just had a 15-goal season while playing in a style that absolutely does not maximize his strengths.

And before anyone says, "well, then why not just keep Stewart?" First of all, that's definitely an option, and secondly, if Stewart is traded, it will be because management has decided that he just will not be able to adapt his game to the style that Hitchcock prefers.

It's the more defensive style that Hitchcock preaches, that was the direct cause of Stewart's drop in production. Stewart is more effective in a more wide-open, run-and-gun type of offense, which the Blues do not play and will not be playing as long as Hitchcock is the coach.

Stewart's and Gleason's contracts are just about a wash ($3-3.5 MM range for each), so it should be the 'Canes adding -- and not all that much, I'd say a third round pick or a very high fourth-round pick -- in order to equalize the differences in age and output.
Stewart's coming off a bad season where he showed that he wasn't able to adapt to another system. Gleason's a tough as nails #3 dmen, he's not paid for his offensive ability.

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 11:17 AM
Stealth JD
Drexel's dead!!!

I think the Blues have the pieces and the desire to add both Jordan and Marc Staal this off-season.

Stealth JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 01:36 PM
Ignore42me*

Quote:

Blues obviously add and im a Blues fan. 1. Defense is a prominent position. 2. Stewart is coming off his worst year as a pro, so he doesnt have the value all Blues fans hope. 3. Blues are probably better off keeping Stewart and trading for a better player then Gleason.

Ignore42me* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 01:48 PM
Meatwagon
Blues=Overrated

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth JD View Post
I think the Blues have the pieces and the desire to add both Jordan and Marc Staal this off-season.
Really? Landing both of those players(both Staal's would cost a fortune, especially Marc) would gut this teams depth and probably set this team back a year.

Your looking at J.Staal for Oshie+Fairchild
" " M.Staal for Stewart + Dags+ Cole, or more because the Rangers have no need or want to move a 24yr old first pairing dman.

I would like to see what you think the Blues would need to move to land such players.

Meatwagon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 02:08 PM
Stealth JD
Drexel's dead!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatwagon View Post
Really? Landing both of those players(both Staal's would cost a fortune, especially Marc) would gut this teams depth and probably set this team back a year.

Your looking at J.Staal for Oshie+Fairchild
" " M.Staal for Stewart + Dags+ Cole, or more because the Rangers have no need or want to move a 24yr old first pairing dman.

I would like to see what you think the Blues would need to move to land such players.
Jordan for Oshie
Marc for Perron

smaller parts to balance out the equations (picks, McRae, Fairchild, D'Agostini, Sobotka, etc.)

Out Oshie, Perron...in Tarasenko, Schwartz, Jordan Staal, Marc Staal.

Roster looks much stronger with two Staals and two blue-chip prospects than Oshie & Perron and other non-core pieces (in my opinion)

Stealth JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 02:21 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

If Gleason waived his NTC and this deal happened, I'd be ok with it. The values are close enough that the balancing on whichever side the GMs deemed it to be would be quite minor and don't need to be haggled over.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 02:24 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Quote:
Is there a possibility that Gleason would waive his NTC in order to have a chance to pair with one of the league's best up-and-coming young defensemen, while playing for a legitimate contender?

If he had wanted to do that, he wouldn't have signed a new deal with Carolina at the deadline. Nor would he have asked JR to verbally guarantee not to trade him before his NTC kicked in. Gleason wanted to stay in Carolina a couple months ago. I doubt he changed his mind.

Blueline Bomber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 02:33 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 0
Good trade both sides

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 07:29 PM
Crazed Fan

I like Gleason. Seems to throw himself in front of pucks.
Chris Stewart would not bring enough back for the void left by losing Gleason imo.

Crazed Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 07:34 PM
jeromeo87

Not a bad deal - coming from a big Gleason fan. But it won't happen. Canes defense is already pretty bad. Can't really afford to lose Gleason. Besides, yes, he has a NTC. What about something around Pitkanen? Canes have a lot of offensive minded dmen..

jeromeo87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 05:44 AM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

Quote:
agreed, I like this senario. Well we can dream anyway.

Old
06-11-2012, 05:53 AM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeromeo87 View Post
Not a bad deal - coming from a big Gleason fan. But it won't happen. Canes defense is already pretty bad. Can't really afford to lose Gleason. Besides, yes, he has a NTC. What about something around Pitkanen? Canes have a lot of offensive minded dmen..
The Blues need a Left side Shutdown Defender not a Offensive Minded Dman.

Old
06-11-2012, 07:00 AM
RyanCallahan24*

Quote:
Jordan for Oshie
Marc for Perron

smaller parts to balance out the equations (picks, McRae, Fairchild, D'Agostini, Sobotka, etc.)

Out Oshie, Perron...in Tarasenko, Schwartz, Jordan Staal, Marc Staal.

Roster looks much stronger with two Staals and two blue-chip prospects than Oshie & Perron and other non-core pieces (in my opinion)
You'd have to add to Perron. Rangers rather keep Staal, but if we decided to trade him we would go after someone like Bobby Ryan.

RyanCallahan24* is offline   Reply With Quote