HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Official Offseason Thread (Part IV) - "Is the lockout over yet?"

Closed Thread

Old
06-10-2012, 12:51 AM
NewYorkRangers89*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuccarello Awesome View Post
I'm a huge Miller fan, but we're not in the middle of a rebuild here. You guys are lamenting losing a guy who you think COULD be a great addition to the BOTTOM SIX instead of getting Rick Nash. We desperately need a guy LIKE Rick Nash, regardless of his contract, and he seems to be the only option actually available. Miller is a small price to pay for what Nash brings. Del Zotto is the only piece that's questionable but since our top two LD spots are already taken, it's either DZ plays his off-side, plays on the third pairing or gets traded while is value is incredibly high to acquire an offensive talent that we desperately need.

I don't want Nash if it means trading kids like Miller or Del Zotto, only an idiot trades Miller or Del Zotto for Nash. There are other moves that can be made where we can keep Miller and Del Zotto, Nash isn't the only damn scorer out there. Del Zotto is going to be really good and it's crazy how people already give up on him.

Old
06-10-2012, 12:58 AM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkRangers89 View Post
I don't want Nash if it means trading kids like Miller or Del Zotto, only an idiot trades Miller or Del Zotto for Nash. There are other moves that can be made where we can keep Miller and Del Zotto, Nash isn't the only damn scorer out there. Del Zotto is going to be really good and it's crazy how people already give up on him.
Only an idiot turns down Rick Nash to hold onto Del Zotto or especially a guy who has never played a game in the NHL.

Suggesting to trade Del Zotto acknowledges that he has value. That implies that he's a good player. Suggesting to trade a player doesn't necessarily mean anyone has "given up" on him. Quite the contrary, actually. We know he's good and has the potential to get better since he's so young. That's why his trade value is high. We need a player like Rick Nash more than we need a Del Zotto. Replace DZ with Nash and we're playing the Kings right now, without a shred of doubt.

I can't stand the overreaction on this board. So many of you are too afraid to trade ANYONE. You want to build a 100% home-grown team. It's not realistic. Good asset management requires trading GOOD players to acquire GOOD players that fill a more glaring need. Trading BAD players doesn't get you anything.

Have some balls.

Old
06-10-2012, 01:06 AM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Dubinsky, Stepan, Del Zotto, Thomas, 1st for Eric Staal

Kreider Richards E. Staal
Radulov Anisimov Gaborik
Hagelin Miller Callahan
Rupp Boyle Prust
Mitchell

Staal Suter
McDonagh Girardi
Erixon Schultz / Sauer / McIlrath / Stralman

Lundqvist
Biron

Old
06-10-2012, 01:08 AM
Dactyl

Quote:
Del Zotto, Dubinsky, Miller, 1st for Nash
Sign Schultz
3rd and 4th for Radulov and 6th

Kreider Richards Nash <-- extreme size and skill
Radulov Anisimov Gaborik <-- two skilled attackers with defensively responsible Artie in the middle
Hagelin Stepan Callahan <-- best third line in the league by far
Rupp Boyle Prust <-- 4th liners playing on...the 4th line. What a concept.
Mitchell <-- great spare, IMO

McDonagh Girardi
Staal Schultz
Erixon Sauer / Stralman / McIlrath / cheap vet UFA

Lundqvist
Biron
not gonna lie that looks like a sexy lineup just not overly ecstatic about the trade itself. CBJ need to realize that by giving them young talent and taking away that monster contract we are doing them a favor. would do that exact same deal if we add biron and they add mason but otherwise i feel like that is overpayment. i would do either:

dubi+eirxon/DZ+JTM+1st=nash
or
dubi+DZ/erixon+JTM+biron+1st=nash+mason

i would have a problem losing DZ (altho he was a disaster in the playoffs)...would rather give up erixon but i guess i could live with it if we sign schultz and timmy can play solid minutes next year or sauer makes a return (i dont see that happening tho)

McD-G
Staal-Schultz
Erixon/DZ/Sauer(if he ever plays again)-Stralman

those are solid d-lines

Old
06-10-2012, 01:10 AM
Matt4776
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

Radulov Anisimov Gaborik
Hagelin Miller Callahan
Rupp Boyle Prust
Mitchell

Staal Suter
McDonagh Girardi

Lundqvist
Biron
Why... I don't even...

Old
06-10-2012, 01:10 AM
Dactyl

Quote:

Radulov Anisimov Gaborik
Hagelin Miller Callahan
Rupp Boyle Prust
Mitchell

Staal Suter
McDonagh Girardi

Lundqvist
Biron
NOOOOO! i want no part of that trade

Old
06-10-2012, 01:17 AM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Uncle Larry has a few interesing nuggets for Sunday morning reading;

Quote:
The Rangers’ interest in Alexander Radulov, as reported by The Post last Sunday, is conditional. General manager Glen Sather and the front office are weighing the prodigal Nashville winger’s upside against alternatives who might be available to fill the club’s need for an impact player up front, most notably including Rick Nash, Bobby Ryan and impending free agent Zach Parise.

But though the Blueshirts don’t appear ready to pull the trigger, we’re told there is at least one other team closer to committing to a deal for the rights to Radulov — who, all things being at least somewhat close to equal (with all things meaning, money), seems to prefer continuing his career in the NHL as opposed to returning to the KHL.

Quote:
Though it is believed the club is focused on adding a winger of some renown, the organization’s most critical offseason analysis of personnel will center on young centers Derek Stepan and Artem Anisimov, following twin playoff disappointments.

If the front office isn’t confident Stepan — who was never quite consistent enough throughout his sophomore year in a top-six role and whose play deteriorated as the playoffs evolved — or Anisimov — who spent nearly all season on the wing anyway, and whose play was erratic throughout — can provide meaningful production as the second-line pivot, then the search for help might be better retrained down the middle

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/more_...#ixzz1xMuYtZ8I

Old
06-10-2012, 03:14 AM
MrAlmost
We are Lokomotiv!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post

Thats very interesting. I'm curious to see what will happen this offseason.

Old
06-10-2012, 04:52 AM
Maineice11

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Maineice11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rad Brichards View Post
Can Sather trade for someone just to take the spotlight away from the Devils?
ha spotlight...when the tv ratings of the SCF are the worst theyve been in 5 years (and down 17% from last year) AND less than 24 hours before a game 5 in NJ you can purchase 4 tickets next to each other 13 rows from the glass throught ticketmaster (not second hand)...i don't call that being in the "spotlight"

Old
06-10-2012, 05:15 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
If Radulov doesn’t hightail it back to Russia, the best bet is the Rangers get his rights, work out a deal to sign him and deal their $4-million forward Brandon Dubinsky to Nashville unless Poile would rather have somebody younger like Derek Stepan.
http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sport...723/story.html

Why would the Rangers do that?

Old
06-10-2012, 05:19 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:

He suggests Ryan Getzlaf who is coming off a horrible season.

Old
06-10-2012, 05:51 AM
GAGLine

Quote:

Radulov Anisimov Gaborik
Hagelin Miller Callahan
Rupp Boyle Prust
Mitchell

Staal Suter
McDonagh Girardi

Lundqvist
Biron
It's a good thing there's no salary cap.

Old
06-10-2012, 06:11 AM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
He suggests Ryan Getzlaf who is coming off a horrible season.
Don't see the Ducks moving either him or Ryan, although I'd love either on this team.

Old
06-10-2012, 06:18 AM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Someone has been getting their writing material from this thread lol.

Old
06-10-2012, 06:26 AM
azrok22

Maybe we're spending too much time focusing on what we want to happen (Parise, Radulov, Ryan, Nash, etc.), and not enough time on what we already know will happen.

So the question is, what ineffective goon will Sather bring in this year? To recount our recent history, off the top of my head:

2009-2010: Donald Brashear, Jody Shelley
2010-2011: Derek Boogaard (RIP)
2011-2012: Mike Rupp, John Scott

My gut says Parros. Nice combo of being over the hill and declining in recent years.

Old
06-10-2012, 06:43 AM
Maineice11

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
Maybe we're spending too much time focusing on what we want to happen (Parise, Radulov, Ryan, Nash, etc.), and not enough time on what we already know will happen.

So the question is, what ineffective goon will Sather bring in this year? To recount our recent history, off the top of my head:

2009-2010: Donald Brashear, Jody Shelley
2010-2011: Derek Boogaard (RIP)
2011-2012: Mike Rupp, John Scott

My gut says Parros. Nice combo of being over the hill and declining in recent years.

unless rupp gets moved no "goons" will be signed...we have rupp and prust and slats/staff/torts wants to get younger...schultz and parise may be on the rangers list to sign on july first because he doesnt want to trade our kids...so IF he stands by that then he will have to fill holes with the UFA market

Old
06-10-2012, 06:46 AM
azrok22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineice11 View Post
unless rupp gets moved no "goons" will be signed...we have rupp and prust and slats/staff/torts wants to get younger...schultz and parise may be on the rangers list to sign on july first because he doesnt want to trade our kids...so IF he stands by that then he will have to fill holes with the UFA market
While I hope that's true, how do you explain the Scott acquisition?

Obviously Sather felt that Rupp wasn't filling the goon role sufficiently.

Old
06-10-2012, 06:59 AM
Maineice11

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
While I hope that's true, how do you explain the Scott acquisition?

Obviously Sather felt that Rupp wasn't filling the goon role sufficiently.
it was all he could get for a vet without giving up a lot...if we were put in a position where an injury meant we needed someone on offense/defence then they felt more comfortable with scott than with a young guy from the ahl...thatd be my thought...however, i still do not like that move

Old
06-10-2012, 07:13 AM
azrok22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineice11 View Post
it was all he could get for a vet without giving up a lot...if we were put in a position where an injury meant we needed someone on offense/defence then they felt more comfortable with scott than with a young guy from the ahl...thatd be my thought...however, i still do not like that move
Without even addressing Scott's actual hockey ability, John Scott has less than two seasons worth of NHL games played. He's far from a seasoned vet. I don't buy it.

Old
06-10-2012, 07:14 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Only an idiot turns down Rick Nash to hold onto Del Zotto or especially a guy who has never played a game in the NHL.

Suggesting to trade Del Zotto acknowledges that he has value. That implies that he's a good player. Suggesting to trade a player doesn't necessarily mean anyone has "given up" on him. Quite the contrary, actually. We know he's good and has the potential to get better since he's so young. That's why his trade value is high. We need a player like Rick Nash more than we need a Del Zotto. Replace DZ with Nash and we're playing the Kings right now, without a shred of doubt.

I can't stand the overreaction on this board. So many of you are too afraid to trade ANYONE. You want to build a 100% home-grown team. It's not realistic. Good asset management requires trading GOOD players to acquire GOOD players that fill a more glaring need. Trading BAD players doesn't get you anything.

Have some balls.
No. Some people understand that a salary cap exists and because of that you need to fill holes with cheap, young, assets.

Trading for Nash would not only empty the system but add 8 million.

Its not realistic.

Especially then trading away draft picks to add another expensive (and garbage player) in Radulov.

Your trade proposals are entertaining and also extremely unrealistic.

They'll *try* to sign Parise. Who is 100x the player Radulov is. And requires zero loss of assets unlike trading for Nash.

Do you closely follow what this club does? What they say? They are not going to mortgage the future because you want to win right now.

Their goal is to win now and sustain winning.

This isn't the mid-late 90s. They're not trading the Amonte, Weight, Zubov, Savard players anymore. So accept it.

When is the last time they traded one of their top prospects? Especially a first round pick?

Jeff Gorton said Miller will compete for a spot in camp this fall. They're not trading him.

Old
06-10-2012, 07:26 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:

The first part looks to be fact.

The second part looks to be his own speculation.

They're not trading Stepan. Not a snowball's chance in hell do they trade a 21 year old center that put up 51 points. Who has undeniable chemistry with Kreider. Who is a solid on the PK. And is one of the few creative players with the puck.

Not happening.

Anisimov, on the other hand, I'm not as convinced is long for the Rangers.

I swear some just don't pay attention to what the guys running this club say.

Gorton, Tortorella, Sather, Messier are all extremely high on Stepan. And depth down the middle is not that strong right now, but they're going to turn around and trade Stepan?

Not happening.

If they sign Schultz, Del Zotto MAY become available. Erixon MAY become available.

While they had enough interest in Nash, they weren't willing to trade these guys away in the middle of a Stanley Cup run. Yet, they'd be willing to deal them now? No. Forget what the RUMORS were, the fact is it didn't happen.

Old
06-10-2012, 07:28 AM
NYRSchrute217

Quote:
I'm a huge Miller fan, but we're not in the middle of a rebuild here. You guys are lamenting losing a guy who you think COULD be a great addition to the BOTTOM SIX instead of getting Rick Nash. We desperately need a guy LIKE Rick Nash, regardless of his contract, and he seems to be the only option actually available. Miller is a small price to pay for what Nash brings. Del Zotto is the only piece that's questionable but since our top two LD spots are already taken, it's either DZ plays his off-side, plays on the third pairing or gets traded while is value is incredibly high to acquire an offensive talent that we desperately need.
That's fair, but if Del Zotto goes Bobby Ryan better be coming back.

Old
06-10-2012, 07:47 AM
eco's bones

After Chicago won their Cup they were forced to trade away at least a third of that Cup team over the same summer because they had too many high contracts and too many younger players due for big raises. Campbell, Byfuglien, Brouwer, Kopecky, Versteeg, Ladd etc. etc.

There will be problems adding Nash on top of Lundqvist, Gaborik and Richards. Del Zotto gets a raise this year--so does Prust (though not a huge one). Next year it's McDonagh, Stepan, Hagelin, Sauer (if he can still play) and Anisimov. It all adds up and we'll still have to fill holes in the bottom of our roster and pay for a backup goalie--this year and afterwards. And the NHL I expect is going to try to knock the cap down. Nash's contract could turn into a killer. Put another way I wouldn't trade for him until the smoke cleared on the coming CBA.

This may be an off season to lay off the UFA signings. Not really a whole lot after Parise and Suter. That has the potential of driving up the price for a bunch of 2nd-3rd liner types. Anyone willing to give Gaustad a $16 mil contract for 4 years? Probably can fill some depth positions at reasonable cost--thinking though that continuing to diversify and employ some of our younger players might be a good way to go.

Old
06-10-2012, 07:48 AM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
Quote:

Radulov Anisimov Gaborik
Hagelin Miller Callahan
Rupp Boyle Prust
Mitchell

Staal Suter
McDonagh Girardi

Lundqvist
Biron
Dude, with all due respect, your trade proposals are horrible, please stop

Old
06-10-2012, 08:11 AM
darko

Sign Schultz. Get Konopka to bolster 4th line and a FO specialist. Add a cheap veteran D-man. Maybe take a chance on a forward like Chris Stewart. I'd consider that a very good offseason.

Parise makes sense but we'd have to juggle some contracts. Dubinsky is probably gone if we were to add Parise. Ryan isn't going anywhere. Trading for Nash would be terrible.

Closed Thread