HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

SCF Gm#5, 6/9/12: KINGS lose to DEVILS 2-1, but lead series 3-2 ...

Closed Thread

Old
06-10-2012, 08:26 AM
nocturn

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBrown View Post
Had they been tied at 2-2 and the Kings won to send them 3-2 I'd have been extatic.
Yeah, I agree BUT its the road leading to 3-2. As someone has already mentioned, too many LARGE chunks of momentum. Now the momentum belongs to NJ and LA is going to have to find a way to end that momentum and swing it into their favor.

Like I said, these are the moments that DEFINE CHAMPIONS. Are we True Champions? We'll find out soon enough.

Old
06-10-2012, 08:42 AM
sueroe

I am a long time fan and have waited years for this but I am trying to keep it in perspective. Quick has helped punch a ticket for this 8th seeded team to play in the Stanley Cup finals. He has had a fantastic series except for one mental error. We have a lot of young guys, who are not Doughty, and this is probably their first experience on this stage, and we have guys playing through injury. Despite this the Kings have played well and really just didn't get the bounces last night. It happened a little to the Devils in the first few. Kings need to keep playing their game, and keep shooting. Those pucks are going to go in.

Just one game Kings!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer View Post
If Brown and Richards are injured to that degree, it'll be up to guys like Williams, Penner, Carter, Doughty and Quick to show up in the next 2 or the Kings won't win the Cup.
Williams has been solid, and he is probably doing the best he can to compensate on his line, because clearly Brown is injured. Kopitar had been a monster the first three games, and the last two he looks a little dragged out. Hoping it is a little flu bug or something because I think he is the guy we need for game 6.
I don't think we can ask Doughty to step up any more than he has. He has been incredible in the playoffs but has gone to another level this series. Again calm, confident all game long last night.

Old
06-10-2012, 08:47 AM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

I still think Stoll should have had a penalty shot.

Old
06-10-2012, 08:50 AM
reset
Puck Luck

i have faith...thats all i can say. we just need some lucky breaks next game

Old
06-10-2012, 09:00 AM
Ziggy66

vCash: 50
LA has got this and should of had it. Damn posts are getting in the way and saving Martys ass the last two games.

http://www.tsn.ca/columnists/bob_mckenzie/?id=398068

I really want to slap the **** out of this analyst ^^^^^ but that would get me in some trouble :p so I will only dream of it ha.

He has been crapping on Quick even after the first three wins. IMO quick has been playing amazing during this whole playoff run. Sure he may have been shakey at some points but he is part of the main reason why the Kings are in the finals.

Old
06-10-2012, 09:03 AM
sueroe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy66 View Post
LA has got this and should of had it. Damn posts are getting in the way and saving Martys ass the last two games.

I really want to slap the **** out of this analyst ^^^^^ but that would get me in some trouble :p so I will only dream of it ha.

He has been crapping on Quick even after the first three wins. IMO quick has been playing amazing during this whole playoff run. Sure he may have been shakey at some points but he is part of the main reason why the Kings are in the finals.
Yeah even Marty Brodeur said after the first three games that he thought he was playing well, but the guy in the other net had been playing better.

Old
06-10-2012, 09:07 AM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBrown View Post
Had they been tied at 2-2 and the Kings won to send them 3-2 I'd have been extatic.
Putting myself in the shoes of a Kings fan I was thinking this too. Give back one of those games the Devils were 'supposed' to win (game 1, 2 or 3) and trade it for last nights loss. Kings up 3-2 going home.

Old
06-10-2012, 09:11 AM
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User

Several fair weather fans around here, unbelievable. Do I like it that the Devils have won 2 games in a row, no.

Now I even read these are the worst games the Kings have played. What game are some of you watching ? This is so typical for a fair weather fan, if you lose than it also means you are playing like crap. These people cant put things into perspective and start to whine about everything. I would say the last two games were much better than the first three games. Strangely enough, the result is different.

The Kings have hit a bunch of posts in the last two games. Its ridiculous. In game 4 they had a ton of chances (break aways etc) and in this game 5 they were by far the better team again. New Jersey are scoring on deflections, an empty netter, bonehead play by Quick etc etc. Yeah those goals will count, of course but that wont last long.

Alec Martinez even hit two posts on one shot. If the Kings keep playing like this they eventually will win one of the two remaining games.

Just relax.

I'm gone for two days, I will be back when Dustin is lifting the Stanley Cup.

Old
06-10-2012, 09:31 AM
TROLLPOSO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsholygrail View Post
Ya think????

I shot this one myself -

We just need to continue playing our game and attack Marty. He was giving up 3-4 goals against all other squads in the playoffs on a consistent basis.

Old
06-10-2012, 10:04 AM
Ollie Weeks

Quote:

Seriously? Reading comprehension.

Old
06-10-2012, 10:16 AM
Ziggy66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie Weeks View Post
Seriously? Reading comprehension.
Lol I had a no coffee rant.

The article just tipped me over the edge this morning, I realize its not to bad but he has been harping about Quick on his post game shows after the first few games of the playoffs. I may of jumped the gun but I feel very strongly that Quick has not been an issue for the Kings.

Old
06-10-2012, 10:23 AM
Asheru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sueroe View Post
I am a long time fan and have waited years for this but I am trying to keep it in perspective. Quick has helped punch a ticket for this 8th seeded team to play in the Stanley Cup finals. He has had a fantastic series except for one mental error. We have a lot of young guys, who are not Doughty, and this is probably their first experience on this stage, and we have guys playing through injury. Despite this the Kings have played well and really just didn't get the bounces last night. It happened a little to the Devils in the first few. Kings need to keep playing their game, and keep shooting. Those pucks are going to go in.

Just one game Kings!!
Good post! I agree. Quick got them here and we owe him a lot. They can get it back. Just have to keep playing well.

Old
06-10-2012, 10:36 AM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Kings will win the cup if Quick has a shutout. It's up to Quick to show everyone that he is the best in the NHL right now. Giving up a gift first goal is crushing to any team.

Kopitar has 0 shots in the last 2 Cup winning games. That's not getting it done. He's supposed to be a Conn Smythe runner up? Don't see it and if he is sick, stop having him talk to the media. Same with Brown. If he is hurt, keep him away from the media crap.

Kings still have a huge chance to win the Stanley Cup at home with one win. The Kings can only blame themselves if they fail to close a 3-0 series lead.

Would Richards and Carter be the first NHL players to both win and lose with a 3-0 series lead?

Old
06-10-2012, 10:44 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Would Richards and Carter be the first NHL players to both win and lose with a 3-0 series lead?
Carter technically wasn't involved with the Flyers/Boston series in 2010, but no one else had so much as forced Game 7 since 1975 before the Flyers did it.

Old
06-10-2012, 10:58 AM
deeshamrock

Quote:
Kopitar has 0 shots in the last 2 Cup winning games. That's not getting it done. He's supposed to be a Conn Smythe runner up? Don't see it and if he is sick, stop having him talk to the media. Same with Brown. If he is hurt, keep him away from the media crap.
While we won't know until the playoffs are done, it's unlikey (per the reporters covering the games) that injuries are involved for Kopi or Brown. Esp. regarding Brown, who , as they pointed out, has been to every optional skate, does the ppost practice, pregame and post game interviews a nd is not in the treatment room nor sporting an ice bag. They theorized that regarding those two, it's that DeBoer (as he's done in the prior series) has his guys taking away their time and space and limiting them. NJ is a good team, this is not new to them, he's had them doing it most of the year.

As far as injuries, something I heard on TSN podcast from their archives from NHL reporters calling in to the show twice (post Vancover a nd during the Coyotes series) and a NY reporter after game 2 in NJ had observations on that. The first two (TSN) were about Richards (and an injury sustained during game 2 in Vancouver tied ito a crushing hit into the boards at an awkward angle) the NY reporter said that two key members of the Kings weren't avaiable for post game remarks because they were in the treatment room again.
But again, until this wraps up one way or another, we won't know for sure and it's only observations on their part.
By time time of year, given how physical these games are, there are plenty of guys on both sides hurt, just a ,matter of how bad, where and what it limites regarding skating and shooting.

Quote:
Kings still have a huge chance to win the Stanley Cup at home with one win. The Kings can only blame themselves if they fail to close a 3-0 series lead.
Totally agree. Broduer is a great goalie, he's done this before and you need more than 24 shots (or whatever they had) on him. It didn't help the Kings luck that 4 more hit the post last night.
I'm glad Gagne got moved up, at this stage, he's the least banged up and has top skill, with linemates of equal skill, he's got a better chance to pot one. hope he gets rotated on the 1st or 2nd line during game 6 as well. Would have preferred him on the PP 2nd unti rather than King...he's more skilled.

Quote:
It would be Richards and Gagne (not Carter) and I think they would. I don't know of anyone whose done both.

Last edited by deeshamrock: 06-10-2012 at 11:06 AM.
Old
06-10-2012, 11:02 AM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Quote:
Lol I had a no coffee rant.

The article just tipped me over the edge this morning, I realize its not to bad but he has been harping about Quick on his post game shows after the first few games of the playoffs. I may of jumped the gun but I feel very strongly that Quick has not been an issue for the Kings.
In the big picture, you're right, Quick hasn't been the issue... but Bob is right in that particular game, Quick had a rough first 20 minutes and when it's paramount to score the first goal in a game, you can't have a rough first 20 minutes.

Quick does often bounce back with really solid efforts in the next game after a rough outing.

... really though, it wasn't that rough. He allowed 2 goals or less as he has pretty much all playoffs. The Kings should be able to score 3 goals per game. The offense reverting to mid-February form has been the primary problem these last 2 games.

It drives me ****ing batty that NHL hockey is so predictable nowadays depending on who scores first. The game shouldn't be over after the first goal is scored but that's the reality.

Old
06-10-2012, 11:20 AM
deeshamrock

Quote:
. The Kings should be able to score 3 goals per game. The offense reverting to mid-February form has been the primary problem these last 2 games.
I can see that...but I don't think it's the mid-Feb thing as much as given the Devils their due. They have been doing this all winter, keying in and shutting down, frustrating teams. I saw them do it during the Flyers series, frustrating the first 2 lines. They have a good forecheckign system and Salvadore and that 4th line have been great all playoffs.
The Kings looked good (I thought) in the first period, Broduer was terrific. Quick made a bad decision and when you go down 1-0 againsta team that is good defensively and forechecks that well, with a goalie that gives up litte, you have a rough road to hoe.
The Devils could have easily won the first two games and you could argue in game 1 they were a lot better. Kings got the bounces.
Winning game 4 isn't easy in the Finals but I think Sutter will make the right adjustments and since he has the last change, he can get the line matchups he wants.
I'm curious to see if Sutter has Gagne practicing with one of the top 2 lines. He's a skilled player, the most rested and least banged up and given more minutes with skilled players , I think he could be a difference maker, he's had that knack in the past.

Any thoughts on why Sutter benched Brown for almost the last 5 minutes of the game?

Old
06-10-2012, 11:39 AM
Kershaw

Putting Gagne in hurt the team like I expected. He hasn't provided anything yet.

Old
06-10-2012, 11:46 AM
Ollie Weeks

We've looked pretty much the same since Game 1. The Devils couldn't catch a break the first 2 games, same as us the last 2. The anomaly is Game 3, which we clearly outplayed them. As of now, that one game is what separates the Kings and Devils.

If both teams keep playing the same (well enough to win, supported by good and bad luck), I think we win this. New Jersey needs to go above and beyond playing well enough to win, they need to play well enough to guarantee it, otherwise its a coin toss that still favours us. Of course I'd prefer another Game 3, but as long as we don't regress I think all will be well.

Old
06-10-2012, 11:58 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsholygrail View Post
If the Kings played better you wouldn't be thinking that way. And I don't see what warrants a penalty shot on that play.

Old
06-10-2012, 12:04 PM
nocturn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Putting Gagne in hurt the team like I expected. He hasn't provided anything yet.
Agree although he hasn't technically hurt the team. He just hasnt helped either. I'd go back to Richardson and/or Clifford.

Old
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
If the Kings played better you wouldn't be thinking that way. And I don't see what warrants a penalty shot on that play.
his skate was taken out, but it shouldn't have been a penalty shot because #1 he stopped skating so its unlikely to get a call, and #2 he got off the shot he wanted to anyway

Old
DocWest
2012 & 2014 Champs

Well in a way if the Kings do win the Cup, it will be a little sweeter. With the way they had been playing I forgot how difficult the Playoffs were supposed to be. Not anymore. I still believe they will win it, but they wouldn't be the Kings if they didn't poke us in the eye before doing so.

Old
06-10-2012, 12:15 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Bob and Jim are 1-6 when calling the final.

Kings are 3-0 when they don't.

Just sayin'.

Old
06-10-2012, 12:18 PM
Nex06

Current Kings offense has NOTHING to do with February. This is SC Playoff. Devils can shut down whatever they want most of the time. They shut down Kopitar but the rest of the team has lots of space, I thought it was one of the most open games overall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Kopitar has 0 shots in the last 2 Cup winning games. That's not getting it done. He's supposed to be a Conn Smythe runner up?
Yeah, well, who is supposed to be Conn Smythe winner? Kopitar not, because he has 0 shots in last 2 Cup winning games. Quick not, because he crapped his pants in first period of the Cup clinching game, a mistake that basically lost the game. Brown not, because he is nowhere to be seen lately. Richards not, because he is nowhere to be seen since November. Doughty not, because Kings are going to lose anyway and he hasn't been best against VAN or even STL. Brodeur not, because he hasn't really been THAT good. Parise not, because he disappeared quite often, not to mention that crappy Kopitar beated him like a school girl last time he scored. Kovalchuk not because he is a complete disaster in last 5 games. So who then? Fraser?

Let's be serious.

Closed Thread