HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

Olli Jokinen

View Poll Results: Would you consider bringing Olli Jokinen back via UFA as a 2C?
Sure, why not. He has skills we can use. 45 69.23%
No way. He has a tainted history here and bringing him back would be a mistake. 20 30.77%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Old
06-10-2012, 12:20 AM
Clint

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Clint
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersFan19 View Post
Publix in Heron Bay. It is 100% true. I wouldn't make this up to my fellow Cats fans.
Says the guy with 10 posts.

I'm not saying I think you're lying. I just have no reason to believe you.

Clint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 12:56 AM
MillarWithASave
HUBY DOOBY SHUTUP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint View Post
Says the guy with 10 posts.

I'm not saying I think you're lying. I just have no reason to believe you.
I agree with you, him having ten posts has really nothing to do with it.. just the fact that Olli would tell a random fan that he talked to Dale Tallon sends me bad vibes, but it also makes me curious as to if it is true.. whether or not it is, we will see on July 1st.

But hey, if it is... we will have to thank Panthersfan19 for the "insider info".

Actually, from what he said, the Publix on Heron Bay is the closest to Olli's house, he could've done the same thing I did.. but still.

Last edited by MillarWithASave: 06-10-2012 at 01:02 AM.
MillarWithASave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 02:54 AM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by jol View Post
Finnish language newspaper in Lantana "Amerikan Uutiset" reported already long time ago that Olli will be back, it was about sponsorship arrangements etc.

JOL
Can you elaborate? I'm not following, sorry....

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 09:27 AM
Clint

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillarWithASave View Post
I agree with you, him having ten posts has really nothing to do with it...
If it were Rattrick, or Laus723, or Panthers Rock, or ATF, or any number of other posters on this forum I wouldn't even think twice about questioning their credibility. But for someone who hasn't been around all that long and hasn't established any sense of legitimacy for themselves it's a totally different story.

Edit: He also claimed in the past to have run into Kris Versteeg in a Jamba Juice and says he has a connection with someone who is "close with the Viners." Either he is incredibly lucky to run into professional hockey players all the time or he likes to name drop on the internet.

Last edited by Clint: 06-10-2012 at 09:32 AM.
Old
06-10-2012, 09:59 AM
FlaPnthrsPunk
Our Time Will Come

I don't question that he saw Olli at that Publix since many current and former Panthers live either in Heron Bay or Parkland Golf & Country Club near there. I guess we'll find out in the future if more rumors arise with him returning to the Panthers as the month goes on.

Off-topic, but my parents live in Heron Bay and I just want to know for the eight years that I lived there why I never saw any Panthers around. Just unlucky I guess A lot of celebrities apparently live there. My sister saw Matt LeBlanc come out of the cleaners over there, Candace Cameron at the hair salon, Queen Latifah at the north side clubhouse, and Adam Sandler at the Shell gas station.

FlaPnthrsPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 10:35 AM
Clint

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaPnthrsPunk View Post
...and Adam Sandler at the Shell gas station.
Should have told him to stop. Just stop.

Old
06-10-2012, 03:53 PM
FlaPnthrsPunk
Our Time Will Come

Quote:
Agreed. His career has gone downhill as fast as... well I can't think of an example as the moment. Let's just say a player that went from stardom to dust in a very short matter of time.

FlaPnthrsPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 04:55 PM
5 Hole

Quote:
No way, that new one where he plays dad to a guy his age looks incredible. Just awesome.

5 Hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 05:21 PM
Clint

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 Hole View Post
No way, that new one where he plays dad to a guy his age looks incredible. Just awesome.
Please god, tell me my sarcasm detector needs work.

Old
06-10-2012, 05:27 PM
5 Hole

Quote:
Please god, tell me my sarcasm detector needs work.
You may want to bring it in for a tune-up.

5 Hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 06:04 PM
angry_treefrog
T63813A

My next poll will be...

If in the midst of the zombie apocalypse, you find that are trapped in a Publix (or a gas station if it's a better visual for you), would you rather be locked in with:

1. Olli Jokinen
2. Adam Sandler
3. A pack of rabid badgers

With this forum's crew, I really can't tell how that one would break...

angry_treefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 06:07 PM
RainingRats

We would be stupid not to sign him for a short and reasonably priced contract. We're not going to get a better center without giving up something substantial. I think he isn't going to sign here because if I was Olli this is going to be my last chance at a "big" multi year contract and he's the second best UFA forward available. I have a hard time believing we get him but I would love to have him.

RainingRats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 06:13 PM
Dineen Youngblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
We would be stupid not to sign him for a short and reasonably priced contract. We're not going to get a better center without giving up something substantial. I think he isn't going to sign here because if I was Olli this is going to be my last chance at a "big" multi year contract and he's the second best UFA forward available. I have a hard time believing we get him but I would love to have him.
I dunno about second best UFA forward....maybe Center. I still would take Stoll ahead of Olli. But Parise and Semin are definitely better, different positions, but better forwards. Anyways, he does fill a major need.

Dineen Youngblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 06:14 PM
RainingRats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dineen Youngblood View Post
I dunno about second best UFA forward....maybe Center. I still would take Stoll ahead of Olli. But Parise and Semin are definitely better, different positions, but better forwards. Anyways, he does fill a major need.
I forgot about Semin. I think Olli is the best center UFA.

RainingRats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 06:14 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by angry_treefrog View Post
My next poll will be...

If in the midst of the zombie apocalypse, you find that are trapped in a Publix (or a gas station if it's a better visual for you), would you rather be locked in with:

1. Olli Jokinen
2. Adam Sandler

Sander! I'd rather laugh, or roll my eyes, to death than be eaten or listen to Olli's "uhhhhhh" between every word.

06-10-2012, 06:22 PM
TheMightyPanther85

I wouldn't mind having him back....as long as he was confined to a gorilla cage in the corner of the locker room so he can't taint the young guys.

TheMightyPanther85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 10:00 PM
Dineen Youngblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
I forgot about Semin. I think Olli is the best center UFA.
IMO Stoll will bring more to the table. Maybe not points wise, but come playoff time his style of play will be well appreciated. He's also a "Tallon" type guy. Dude has a great shot too. I think he would get more of a chance on the PP here and who knows, maybe in a top 6 role with Huber he could flourish offensively. Hey, it wouldn't be cheap, but it would be cool to have both of them lol. Weiss-Jokinen-Stoll-Goc....that's pretty solid up the middle.

Dineen Youngblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 10:08 PM
MillarWithASave
HUBY DOOBY SHUTUP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dineen Youngblood View Post
IMO Stoll will bring more to the table. Maybe not points wise, but come playoff time his style of play will be well appreciated. He's also a "Tallon" type guy. Dude has a great shot too. I think he would get more of a chance on the PP here and who knows, maybe in a top 6 role with Huber he could flourish offensively. Hey, it wouldn't be cheap, but it would be cool to have both of them lol. Weiss-Jokinen-Stoll-Goc....that's pretty solid up the middle.
I was just about to say that.

MillarWithASave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 10:53 PM
KWGoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaPnthrsPunk View Post
I don't question that he saw Olli at that Publix since many current and former Panthers live either in Heron Bay or Parkland Golf & Country Club near there. I guess we'll find out in the future if more rumors arise with him returning to the Panthers as the month goes on.

Off-topic, but my parents live in Heron Bay and I just want to know for the eight years that I lived there why I never saw any Panthers around. Just unlucky I guess A lot of celebrities apparently live there. My sister saw Matt LeBlanc come out of the cleaners over there, Candace Cameron at the hair salon, Queen Latifah at the north side clubhouse, and Adam Sandler at the Shell gas station.
If it really is true that Olli is spending at least a part of his summer in South Florida as opposed to Finland, in my opinion that may be significant as far as signing him. Or maybe he just likes South Florida even in the summer over Finland. No idea except that Olli is a quirky guy. I heard a rumor from years ago while playing on the national team at worlds, he supposedly took one of the chairs in his hotel room and nailed it upside down on the ceiling. Many Finns would find that funny, others think it's weird. But I guess my impression of his hockey persona has always been that he's more selfish than destructive, that one end of season with Martin aside. His selfishness went unnoticed part of the time because he was scoring, but there were some complaints about a one-dimensional game on these boards too. I think there was some truth to that, and my main concern would be exactly that -- will he play Dineen's system or will he play his own? He's still a good hockey player, and a lot better passer than he gets credit for. I'd take him on the team if he's well priced, because everything has changed so drastically that I don't think he'll have a major leadership role. He might in fact be happy to come back and see the changes that have taken place and try to make the team and himself into a better whole. I'm pretty confident that DT would see through any insincerity right away anyway.

KWGoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 01:30 AM
Ghoste
Vigo the Carpathian

vCash: 835
Per GR's twitter, he ran into Olli & his wife at the Heat's game last night.

Quote:
George Richards ‏@GeorgeRichards

Nice catching up with Olli and Katerina Jokinen at the #Heat game tonight...he's UFA on July 1...hmmmm #FlaPanthers #nhlFlames
I can see a lot of posters remember Olli's negatives. But to be honest, for me he was one of the bright spots in our torturous playoff-less streak. Just comparing his production from last season and he'd be tied with Flash for tops on the team with 61 points. I think we could do a lot worse than giving him a two or three-year reasonable contract.

-ghoste

Ghoste is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 01:57 AM
jonlin

When Olli last time was in Florida he was a 1-trick pony. He focused only on attack and PP. Now he is one of the better 2-way centers in the league and he seem changed mentally. He was traded from Calgary to NYR, then resigned with Calgary in the offseason. Doesnt the resigning from Calgarys side tell u he was NOT a lockerroom cancer the fans thought he was?
Earlier in his career I disliked the guy, not anymore. He is changed and would be a very good addittion to Florida. The team is better than ever and Olli could be the piece that get them to the next lvl.

I`d offer him either a 15mill/5yr 4 - 4 - 3,5 - 2,5 - 1 cap 3

or

10mill/3yr 4 - 4 - 2 cap 3.33

contract, as he wants security. Theese with NO NTC/NMC

If he wants a NTC:

8mill/3yr 3 - 3 - 2 NTC kicks in after 1 year.

jonlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 02:01 AM
jonlin

I know the contracts are cheap but I think he could take the security in a long contract. The family likely wanna stay put and he loves Florida. If he wants a 5yr contract with NMC/NTC it has to be cheap, frontloaded and with NTC/NMC kicking in after 1-2yrs. Then u KNOW he is/isn`t a fit.

jonlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 04:39 AM
SoupyFIN
Lu ♥

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by angry_treefrog View Post
My next poll will be...

1. Olli Jokinen
2. Adam Sandler

I'd take Olli. The zombies would run away rather than die of boredom when they notice that he's there.

SoupyFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 06:19 AM
Kaptah

The vision of Olli returning and Laus723 having to live with that puts a smile on my face

I'd be returning too

Kaptah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 08:36 AM
Pantherfan12

Wow, I am shocked at all the hate towards Adam Sandler.. The man is a genius and funny as hell.
When it comes to the Olli sighting, I don't know the poster who said he's been talking to Tallon but way back in the day( like 10 years ago) I used to work at the Sawgrass mall and I used to see famous people and Panthers all the time. I've seen Olli in Target, as well as Candice Cameron Bure. Met some of the WWE superstars. I've seen Pavel Bure chillin' at the Oasis. It isn't uncommon to have celebs and professional athletes down here, so I can believe that part of the story.

Pantherfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote