HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

The Official Offseason Thread (Part IV) - "Is the lockout over yet?"

Closed Thread

Old
06-10-2012, 08:30 AM
GregSirico

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
He suggests Ryan Getzlaf who is coming off a horrible season.
Exactly my thoughts, shouldn't take too much to grab him, and he could have a HUGE bounce back year.

Old
06-10-2012, 08:31 AM
OverTheCap

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
Maybe we're spending too much time focusing on what we want to happen (Parise, Radulov, Ryan, Nash, etc.), and not enough time on what we already know will happen.

So the question is, what ineffective goon will Sather bring in this year? To recount our recent history, off the top of my head:

2009-2010: Donald Brashear, Jody Shelley
2010-2011: Derek Boogaard (RIP)
2011-2012: Mike Rupp, John Scott

My gut says Parros. Nice combo of being over the hill and declining in recent years.

Ah, yes, Sather's weird obsession with enforcers, even though most of these players can't do anything other than fight and it is known that Torts doesn't really like dressing these guys. It's like clockwork every season... I guess it's Slats way of letting everyone know "I still run the show around here."

Old
06-10-2012, 08:33 AM
sfox7076

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4th Line Grinder View Post
Dude, with all due respect, your trade proposals are horrible, please stop
Agreed. Change Staal to Skinner and their 1st and we are getting closer to a real trade.

Old
06-10-2012, 08:33 AM
Boom Boom Geoffrion
Confirmed with Link:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuccarello Awesome View Post
Only an idiot turns down Rick Nash to hold onto Del Zotto or especially a guy who has never played a game in the NHL.
Only an idiot would move a young PMD like Del Zotto for a lazy, overweight, overpaid underachiever like Nash. Del Zotto has barely scratched the surface of his potential, while Nash is coming off a 30G season. 1 more goal than Callahan. A measly 18 more points than 21 year old Del Zotto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4th Line Grinder View Post
Dude, with all due respect, your trade proposals are horrible, please stop
They're pathetic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
After Chicago won their Cup they were forced to trade away at least a third of that Cup team over the same summer because they had too many high contracts and too many younger players due for big raises. Campbell, Byfuglien, Brouwer, Kopecky, Versteeg, Ladd etc. etc.

There will be problems adding Nash on top of Lundqvist, Gaborik and Richards. Del Zotto gets a raise this year--so does Prust (though not a huge one). Next year it's McDonagh, Stepan, Hagelin, Sauer (if he can still play) and Anisimov. It all adds up and we'll still have to fill holes in the bottom of our roster and pay for a backup goalie--this year and afterwards. And the NHL I expect is going to try to knock the cap down. Nash's contract could turn into a killer. Put another way I wouldn't trade for him until the smoke cleared on the coming CBA.

This may be an off season to lay off the UFA signings. Not really a whole lot after Parise and Suter. That has the potential of driving up the price for a bunch of 2nd-3rd liner types. Anyone willing to give Gaustad a $16 mil contract for 4 years? Probably can fill some depth positions at reasonable cost--thinking though that continuing to diversify and employ some of our younger players might be a good way to go.
Bravo.

Old
06-10-2012, 08:37 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregSirico View Post
Exactly my thoughts, shouldn't take too much to grab him, and he could have a HUGE bounce back year.
What makes you believe Anaheim won't ask for a significant package? His name has not been mentioned in trade rumors. He is a rental. If a lockout wipes away the season,Getzlaf becomes a free agent and will have never played a game for your team. You trust Bettman and Fehr to do the right thing? I don't. Toronto traded for Brian Leetch thinking they had him for more than just the end of the season and the playoffs. The lockout wiped away 2004-05 and Leetch signed with Boston.

Old
06-10-2012, 08:40 AM
DutchShamrock

I'm not in the Nash camp in the least, but I don't know where this notion arose that we can trade for stars by giving away our trash.

Ok, scratch that. Not every trade is going to look like the Gomez trade.

We aren't going to comb through our roster and pick out the pieces that aren't playing well, package them up, and trade for Nash. If you want Nash, get ready for the Mike Richards trade. If you want Nash, Dubinsky is going but one of our coveted youths are going too. Stepan, Miller, MDZ, Erixon... they'll be names in play (not all would get moved). If we had Prust signed, he'd probably be a guy in discussion.

LA absolutely coveted Simmonds and Schenn. Go look at the trade proposal threads over the past few years. LA fans stood firm on those two, even for Kovalchuk. And to an extent the fans were right because Lombardi missed out on a bunch of trades because of the refusal to part with them. But that's what it cost to get over the hump.

I'd don't think we need another star player to win. I think we need two 25-30 goal wingers. We need another reliable defenseman to eat minutes. If Dubinsky can be that winger, we only need one more. I lack faith in him, Anisimov also. I'd move both of them to bring in some of those 3 pieces we need to go for a cup again.

Last edited by DutchShamrock: 06-10-2012 at 08:47 AM.
Old
06-10-2012, 08:53 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Satellite Hotstove was discussing the trade market is expected to be active because the free agent market stinks. GMs which don't like their teams will look at the trade market.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockeynight...44124256&tab=1

Old
06-10-2012, 09:12 AM
GregSirico

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Satellite Hotstove was discussing the trade market is expected to be active because the free agent market stinks. GMs which don't like their teams will look at the trade market.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockeynight...44124256&tab=1
Makes perfect sense to me.

Old
06-10-2012, 10:45 AM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

I'm pretty sick of the Rick Nash stuff and would like it to end already. It's like the final scene in Reservoir Dogs. Sather won't give up Kreider, Wilson won't give up Pavelski, and Burke doesn't want to give up Kadri/Gardner.

There are plenty of other options.

Old
06-10-2012, 10:56 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Getlzaf? Staal? What the hell is going on here?

Old
06-10-2012, 10:59 AM
Killem Dafoe
modus operandi

vCash: 263
I wish there was more Bobby Ryan talk. If Sather really is thinking about shopping Stepan then I would really rather have him go to Anaheim in a deal for Ryan than to the Blue Jackets in a deal for Nash. I wouldn't trade Steps for Nash straight up at this point.

Old
06-10-2012, 11:06 AM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

Anaheim has such a good thing going with the big three, why on earth would they want to break that up? All they need is a little secondary help which guys like Etem could provide. If Bobkov pans out, they can always trade Hiller.

If I was them, I'd totally offer sheet Karlson.

Old
06-10-2012, 11:12 AM
mooskating
flex

lol if we sign schultz there's no way anaheim deals to us... or whoever signs him for that matter.

Old
06-10-2012, 11:16 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killem Dafoe View Post
I wish there was more Bobby Ryan talk. If Sather really is thinking about shopping Stepan then I would really rather have him go to Anaheim in a deal for Ryan than to the Blue Jackets in a deal for Nash. I wouldn't trade Steps for Nash straight up at this point.
We are not trading Stepan.

Old
06-10-2012, 11:21 AM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
I would move Stepan in a package for Getzlaf, assuming he signs a contract extension.

Old
06-10-2012, 11:23 AM
Killem Dafoe
modus operandi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
I hope to **** were not. But if we do, and it's for Nash, I'm gunna bug.

Old
06-10-2012, 11:23 AM
Vitto79

I actually think a Dubinsky and Anisimov package deal is going to happen. Again Ryan Clowe and another piece from SJ is my guess.

SJ needs to shake things up and Clowe ,Richards, Gaborik could be great. Need more than Clowe though for those 2

Old
06-10-2012, 11:25 AM
BigDaddyNYR
Calgary Flames GM

Sorry been out of the loop for a few days now.

Whats this talk about Getlzaf????

Old
06-10-2012, 11:30 AM
Dactyl

i like nash but howson needs to calm down...dubinsky and a 1st (plus maybe a prospect) should be all it takes in reality. nash is not a superstar in this league, he has 30 goals cally had 29. i highly doubt anyone in the league would trade half their young assets for callahan.

Old
06-10-2012, 11:31 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
I certainly wouldnt speak in such absolutes, especially when it comes to the future of our young forwards.

The question is if Stepan can develop into a trusted and consistent top 6 centerman. And, while hes had bright moment in his first 2 seasons, the answer to that question is far from definitive.

Old
06-10-2012, 11:31 AM
Dactyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddyNYR View Post
Sorry been out of the loop for a few days now.

Whats this talk about Getlzaf????
nothing larry brooks suggested it and people are saying that since he sucked ass this year it should be easy to get him (btw it wont)

Old
06-10-2012, 11:33 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Anaheim isn't trading Getzlaf.

And we are not trading Stepan.

Old
06-10-2012, 11:36 AM
BigDaddyNYR
Calgary Flames GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc55 View Post
nothing larry brooks suggested it and people are saying that since he sucked ass this year it should be easy to get him (btw it wont)
Ok. What was Brooks suggesting they trade for him?

Old
06-10-2012, 11:37 AM
Killem Dafoe
modus operandi

Quote:
Anaheim isn't trading Getzlaf.

And we are not trading Stepan.
I understand your opinion and no one is arguing otherwise. But that's exactly what it is. Your opinion. Are we getting Getzlaf and trading Stepan this summer? Probably not to either of those but no one knows for sure.

Old
06-10-2012, 11:45 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
I certainly wouldnt speak in such absolutes, especially when it comes to the future of our young forwards.

The question is if Stepan can develop into a trusted and consistent top 6 centerman. And, while hes had bright moment in his first 2 seasons, the answer to that question is far from definitive.
Stepan is 21, put up 51 points, kills penalties. Currently makes less than 1 million. His next contract will be VERY manageable.

Getzlaf is 26, put up 57 points, earned 5.3 million and is a UFA summer 2013.

Getzlaf is going to get a "retirement" contract.

Why would the Rangers trade a 21 year old center that plays in every situation, is cheap, productive, and is willing to do what ever is necessary to improve.

And replace him with another huge contract that doesn't solve the goal scoring issue.

There are players to trade. Stepan isn't one of them.

Its not happening. Common sense.

Closed Thread