HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Things Jordan Staal

Old
06-02-2012, 03:58 PM
Jame
Dream '16

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddieBisco View Post
Easy.Here's over 30 and these are the no brainer ones...I left out the debatable ones so some people won't cry (Pavelski, Roy )

I'd take these guys below easily over Staal for next season.Seems the motif around here is the grass is always greener when it comes to center..since Staal is big and rugged and scores ~50 or less points every season he is a surefire #1 center

Ryan Getzlaf ANA
David Krejci BOS
Patrice Bergeron BOS
Eric Staal CAR
Jeff Skinner CAR (listed as Center,5th on CAR for FOs)
Jonathan Toews CHI
Matt Duchene COL (Yep, broke 50+ points first 2 seasons, Staal has hit 50 points ONCE)
Paul Stastny COL
Mike Ribeiro DAL
Jamie Benn DAL (listed as lw, took 4th most draws on stars)
Henrik Zetterberg DET
Pavel Datsyuk DET
Ryan Nugent-Hopkins EDM
Anze Kopitar LAK
Mike Richards LAK
Jeff Carter LAK
Mikko Koivu MIN
Tomas Plekanec MTL
Patrik Elias NJD
Adam Henrique NJD (Already beat Staals career high his rookie season, this kid is CLUTCH)
John Tavares NYI
Brad Richards NYR
Jason Spezza OTT
Claude Giroux PHI
Daniel Briere PHI
Sidney Crosby PIT
Evgeni Malkin PIT
Joe Thornton SJ
Logan Couture SJ
David Backes STL
Steven Stamkos TAM
Ryan Kesler VAN
Henrik Sedin VAN
Niklas Backstrom WSH
Thomas Plekanec???

that's what browsing through NHL.COM stats team by team will do...

would you like a redo, or would you like to defend Thomas Plekanec... please defend... please... i cant wait
\

Last edited by Jame: 06-02-2012 at 04:11 PM.
Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 04:10 PM
Jame
Dream '16

last 2 seasons :
JStaal .77 pts per game
Plekanec .69 pts per game
Stastny .72 pts per game
Ribeiro .85 pts per game
JCarter .74 pts per game
Briere .79 pts per game
Krejci .80 pts per game

So on top of producing at similar or better rates... Staal is significantly better defensively, and plays a more physical game then all of them

Old
06-02-2012, 07:46 PM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
Thomas Plekanec???

would you like a redo, or would you like to defend Thomas Plekanec... please defend... please... i cant wait
\
Not even the worst one, either. Adam Henrique?!?

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 09:12 PM
Layne Staley
The Future

Quote:
Thomas Plekanec???

\

BTW, playoff PPG
Plekanec- .617
J Staal- .493

OOPS.Guess Plekanec is a better postseason performer....or you going to say its because Crosby and Malkin hog all the ice-time (which is false).Staal is "elite", averages under 4 points/7 game series, HE IS AMAZING TRUE #1 center

Also, Plekanec is a complete center, more so then Staal.He scores 50+ points regularly and also PKs a lot.He is BETTER then Staal.Plekanec also gets the most SHTOI out of any forward on MTL for the past several seasons.Staal is all potential minimal result.Plekanec is a 2 way center who is lethal SH just like Staal. For being so much better, it's funny Staal has a mere SINGLE SH goal over the last 6 seasons, when I thought short handed was when Staal is at his best?

Staal ONE season of scoring 50 points out of 6 seasons.Plekanec 4 out of the last 6 seasons.The way I look at it, Staal reminds me of another big center who was a high draft pick and played in the NHL at 18...you may remember Chris Gratton, the similarities are frightening, the only difference is that Gratton scored 60 points twice by 23 which is Staal's age

Last edited by joshjull: 06-02-2012 at 10:40 PM.
Layne Staley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 09:43 PM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Quote:

BTW, playoff PPG
Plekanec- .617
J Staal- .493

OOPS.Guess Plekanec is a better postseason performer....or you going to say its because Crosby and Malkin hog all the ice-time (which is false).Staal is "elite", averages under 4 points/7 game series, HE IS AMAZING TRUE #1 center

Also, Plekanec is a complete center, more so then Staal.He scores 50+ points regularly and also PKs a lot.He is BETTER then Staal.Plekanec also gets the most SHTOI out of any forward on MTL for the past several seasons.Staal is all potential minimal result.Plekanec is a 2 way center who is lethal SH just like Staal. For being so much better, it's funny Staal has a mere SINGLE SH goal over the last 6 seasons, when I thought short handed was when Staal is at his best?

Staal ONE season of scoring 50 points out of 6 seasons.Plekanec 4 out of the last 6 seasons.The way I look at it, Staal reminds me of another big center who was a high draft pick and played in the NHL at 18...you may remember Chris Gratton, the similarities are frightening, the only difference is that Gratton scored 60 points twice by 23 which is Staal's age
He would be our #1 center. We are all banking on potential here when we talk about obtaining Staal, it's the same thing with Hodgson, he isn't as proven as Staal is, so he required less assets, but still required one of our top prospects which was Kassian.

As for why he scores less? Look at his PP time, he gets nearly half of what Plekanec gets because Malkin and Crosby soak up all the PP time.

In regards to his "poor performance in the playoffs", he was a 19-20 year old kid when he went to back to back finals, shutting down the opposing top lines, he wasn't being used for offense because he has freakin Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin in front of him.

You act like the guy is in his 30's, this is a 23 year old, big, skilled, at the VERY LEAST top 6 center, aren't you always looking for those types of players?? Hey, if we can get him by trading Luke Adam and a 2nd round pick, I'm all for it. Too bad 29 other teams are going to offer a lot more than that.

And Plekanec is not more complete, he may put up better numbers than Staal, but Plekanec also plays with better linemates, and gets more ice time and offensive opportunities than Staal. I get that you don't want to pay up a ton of assets to get Staal, but to say something like Plekanec is more complete than Staal is just plain stupid. Seriously, ask any Montreal fan whether they want Plekanec or Staal. What do you think the answer will be?

Last edited by joshjull: 06-02-2012 at 10:45 PM.
Stop Winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 10:17 PM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:

BTW, playoff PPG
Plekanec- .617
J Staal- .493

Mind comparing Plekanec's and Staal's respective resumes at age 23?

Plekanec: 29 pts in 69 career games. Depth player.

Staal: 248 pts in 431 games. Cup winner. Team's top defensive center for years.

You sure like to trot out the "only scored 50 pts once" stat. First, you conveniently ignore his defensive contributions. Second, let's look at his pts/82 games played during the last four seasons:

2008-09: 49
2009-10: 49
2010-11: 59
2011-12: 66

His pts/game is clearly increasing. His ES pts/60 is excellent, especially when one considers his quality of competition and the lack of offensive

Staal is the type of guy this teem desperately needs.

Last edited by joshjull: 06-02-2012 at 11:12 PM.
Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 10:43 PM
joshjull

Enough of the personal crap.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 11:13 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Not even the worst one, either. Adam Henrique?!?
paul stastny?

Old
06-03-2012, 04:51 AM
heartsabres*

Staal is a great player, I would love to have him and would pay him 6,000,000 just dont agree with giving McNabb, Armia and our 12th for him. he also needs to signs for 6-8 years. We would also need to get rid of Leino for that price I just dont see Leino fitting in long term. What was Regier thinking

Last edited by heartsabres*: 06-03-2012 at 06:13 AM.
heartsabres* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 10:16 AM
jamers
McTankel Mechanic

Quote:
paul stastny?
He's great at FOs though!

jamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 01:25 PM
Der Jaeger

Assume you're the Sabre GM, and in a conversation with Shero regarding Staal. Shero won't take futures or larger packages of lesser players. He only wants Sekera or Pominville as the basis of a trade. What do you do:

1.) Trade Sekera and find another top 4 defenseman. The implications of rolling three lines are too good to pass up, and Leino - Staal - Pominville is a legit two-way first line.

2.) Trade Pominville and find another top 6 winger. The Northeast Division already has Spezza, and probably about to get two more #1 centers in Montreal and Toronto via the draft. Trading a shutdown defenseman, in light of that, isn't a good idea.

3.) Tell Ray "thanks, but no thanks," wish him luck, and end the conversation.

Der Jaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 02:10 PM
dkollidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Jaeger View Post
Assume you're the Sabre GM, and in a conversation with Shero regarding Staal. Shero won't take futures or larger packages of lesser players. He only wants Sekera or Pominville as the basis of a trade. What do you do:

1.) Trade Sekera and find another top 4 defenseman. The implications of rolling three lines are too good to pass up, and Leino - Staal - Pominville is a legit two-way first line.

2.) Trade Pominville and find another top 6 winger. The Northeast Division already has Spezza, and probably about to get two more #1 centers in Montreal and Toronto via the draft. Trading a shutdown defenseman, in light of that, isn't a good idea.

3.) Tell Ray "thanks, but no thanks," wish him luck, and end the conversation.
If Sekera's the centerpiece, trade him, Armia, and one of Enroth or #21, for Staal. Then send Roy to Chicago for Hjalmarsson. Trade Adam for Pjaarvi.

Leino-Staal-Pominville
Foligno-Ennis-Stafford
Pjaarvi-Hodgson-Vanek
Gerbe-Mclement-Kaleta

Hjalmarsson-Myers
Sulzer-Ehrhoff
McNabb-Regehr

Miller
Enroth

dkollidas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 02:29 PM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

I don't think non-roster assets are the + in a Staal deal.

struckbyaparkedcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 03:38 PM
heartsabres*

You guys are well...propose your Sekera deals on the main board and see how they feel about him....Maybe put him higher on a pedestal

heartsabres* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 10:47 PM
SabresBills2012

Trade Pommer and a pick.

I'd like to see us use Roy or Miller and Sekera to try and get Bobby Ryan or Patrick Kane. More scoring punch.

SabresBills2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 02:49 AM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkollidas View Post
If Sekera's the centerpiece, trade him, Armia, and one of Enroth or #21, for Staal. Then send Roy to Chicago for Hjalmarsson. Trade Adam for Pjaarvi.

Leino-Staal-Pominville
Foligno-Ennis-Stafford
Pjaarvi-Hodgson-Vanek
Gerbe-Mclement-Kaleta

Hjalmarsson-Myers
Sulzer-Ehrhoff
McNabb-Regehr

Miller
Enroth
That is overpayment for Staal (best defender, best prospect, and a solid young goalie??). And those changes make our d-core incredibly slow. Sekera is probably the best skater we have on the back end, in addition to being our #1 shutdown guy and probably the most effective passer exiting the zone. McNabb and Hammer, by comparison, are slow as dirt. I don't think those changes make the Sabres better. Makes the offense a little better at the expense of the defense and leaves us with no back-up to Miller. Not to mention Enroth has no business being in that trade to begin with, since the Pens signed Vokoun.

Staal is a fine hockey player. I think we can get better value elsewhere if that's actually close to the asking price for him. I also don't think watching Roy play out his contract would be awful. Guy had a down year, but is still has very good career point numbers and is decent on the PK.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 10:17 AM
McTank

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresBills2012 View Post
Trade Pommer and a pick.

I'd like to see us use Roy or Miller and Sekera to try and get Bobby Ryan or Patrick Kane. More scoring punch.
Forgot about bobby ryan, he may come available again this summer when they start trying to extend getzlaf and perry.

McTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 10:49 AM
Sabretip

Quote:
3. Jordan Staal, C, Pittsburgh: This guy would attract plenty of attention. He is the best third-line centre in the league.

The Penguins are going to have to clear cash if they’re going to keep this team together. That could mean moving out a player like Staal because Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin aren’t going anywhere.

Several teams would like to make a pitch for Staal — including the Buffalo Sabres and St. Louis Blues. The Sabres want to get bigger in the middle, which is why Derek Roy has been made available.

Staal is in the final year of his $4.5-million contract. The Pens have made it a priority to get Crosby’s deal done. Look for Staal to be dealt and there will be a lot of interest.
http://www.ottawasun.com/2012/06/09/...-possibilities

Quote:
HOCKEY NIGHT IN CANADA: During the June 9th “Hotstove” intermission segment, Elliotte Friedman reported Sidney Crosby might be getting a ten-year extension from the Penguins, perhaps an average salary around $9 million. Glenn Healy believes if Crosby gets that big contract, Jordan Staal will have to go as they won’t be able to afford him. Tim Wharnsby reports of speculation if that happens, Staal would be joining his brother Eric in Carolina…Friedman reported a rumor Jets goalie Ondrej Pavelec has a one-year, big-money offer from a KHL team. Ron MacLean says that offer could be considered “insurance” if there’s an NHL lockout…Friedman reports “a lot of GMs who don’t like their teams” could turn toward trades, rather than the shallow UFA pool, to bolster their rosters.
http://spectorshockey.net/blog/sunda...-june-10-2012/

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 11:12 AM
brian_griffin
Measured Intangibles

I can see Jordan in CAR moreso than in BUF. Unfortunately.

brian_griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 11:42 AM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_griffin View Post
I can see Jordan in CAR moreso than in BUF. Unfortunately.
It all depends on the extent of leverage Staal may be able to exert - there's the scenario described by several media members about Staal's pending free agency next summer being the wild card that any team trading for him has to be nervous about if they don't get him to sign an extension in advance.

To me, the bigger variable is IF the Penguins even shop Staal this summer. IF they do, I have a confident sense that Regier/Black/Pegula would go all the way in outbidding any other team for him because he seems to be exactly what Regier has said he always values - with him being only 25 and already a Cup winner, I doubt the Sabres would be shy at paying or giving up prime assets for him.

The reason I don't see it happening is because I think the Pens will hold onto Staal.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 10:59 PM
SabresBills2012

Check out the #1 line

Parise - Staal - Ryan

Pommer, pick(2nd) and a prospect for Staal

Roy and Sakera and pick for Ryan

Parise - Mr. Pegula at his front door or Enroth and #2(Calgary) for his rights.

SabresBills2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 11:37 AM
Superhero

I'd give up the 12 th overall pick and Leopold for Jordan Staal.

Superhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 11:40 AM
sba

Send a message via AIM to sba
Trading Pominville is monumentally stupid on so many levels.

sba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 11:44 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by sba View Post
which levels would that be?

Pominville is a secondary piece on a real contender. The same way Justin Williams is a secondary piece on LA.

It would be monumentally stupid to say "No" to Pittsburgh, if they offered Jordan Staal for Jason Pominville

You build around Centers and Blueliners... wingers can be found to replace Pommer quite easily.

Old
06-17-2012, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sba View Post
agreed, he was our best player this season and plays all aspects off the game very well, not to menton moving his creates a huge hole on RW.

1972 is offline   Reply With Quote