HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Official Offseason Thread (Part IV) - "Is the lockout over yet?"

Closed Thread

Old
06-10-2012, 12:48 PM
Kreider Typical
flex

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
I certainly wouldnt speak in such absolutes, especially when it comes to the future of our young forwards.

The question is if Stepan can develop into a trusted and consistent top 6 centerman. And, while hes had bright moment in his first 2 seasons, the answer to that question is far from definitive.
nobody is definitive in this league. a guy can score 60 goals one season and drop to 30 just a few years later(you know who i mean!) meanwhile other guys can start slow and build up.

stepan may not have the shot or skating to be a #1 center, but he's a really smart kid with a ton of potential. he's smart enough to shoot for a rebound. he's got a strong defensive game. nothing about this kid makes me worry. he just needs smart wingers with a better shot than he has and he'll be golden.

for getzlaf? maybe... not if something else can be moved though. he need top 6 guys. stepan is a top 6 guy and we don't fix any of our needs by replacing him.

Old
OverTheCap

I don't think the Rangers should rush to trade Stepan right now, but I could see him being shipped out eventually.

This season could be a make or break year for Stepan. Getzlaf, Staal, etc. are all potential UFAs in 2013 and Stepan is due for a raise next summer. If the Rangers can upgrade Stepan for the likes of Getzlaf, they should do so.

Old
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killem Dafoe View Post
I understand your opinion and no one is arguing otherwise. But that's exactly what it is. Your opinion. Are we getting Getzlaf and trading Stepan this summer? Probably not to either of those but no one knows for sure.
"opinion" or common sense.

Lets review what Gorton, Sather, Messier, and Tortorella have to say about Stepan.

Stepan wasn't included in the package offered for Nash, closer to a need, what makes anyone believe Stepan would be included in a deal for Getzlaf, who isn't a team need.

Old
06-10-2012, 12:51 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Besides, this whole discussion is brought on by Uncle Larry's opinion.

Old
06-10-2012, 12:53 PM
Killem Dafoe
k.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
"opinion" or common sense.

Lets review what Gorton, Sather, Messier, and Tortorella have to say about Stepan.

Stepan wasn't included in the package offered for Nash, closer to a need, what makes anyone believe Stepan would be included in a deal for Getzlaf, who isn't a team need.
lol i like you, you're sassy.

It's a discussion my man, and in fact, no one in the discussion is even saying he's going to be traded. The topic right now is you saying that he's most certainly not 100% If you said 99% no one would really argue. You seem to be getting a little worked up and all I'm saying is that you don't know for sure. I would be shocked if he was traded and really pissed off but **** happens.

Old
06-10-2012, 12:54 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
I don't think the Rangers should rush to trade Stepan right now, but I could see him being shipped out eventually.

This season could be a make or break year for Stepan. Getzlaf, Staal, etc. are all potential UFAs in 2013 and Stepan is due for a raise next summer. If the Rangers can upgrade Stepan for the likes of Getzlaf, they should do so.
If by "upgrade" you mean swapping a (will be) 22 year old productive center that will get somewhere in the 2-2.5 range...for a (will be) 27 year old on a retirement contract with a 7+ million cap hit...

It makes no sense.

Old
06-10-2012, 12:57 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killem Dafoe View Post
lol i like you, you're sassy.

It's a discussion my man, and in fact, no one in the discussion is even saying he's going to be traded. The topic right now is you saying that he's most certainly not 100% If you said 99% no one would really argue. You seem to be getting a little worked up and all I'm saying is that you don't know for sure. I would be shocked if he was traded and really pissed off but **** happens.
Im not worked up. I too am discussing.

But the parameters don't match.

Its not a trade or swap that does anything for the roster.

Even if you trade him for a scoring winger it doesn't match up.

Who would the winger skate with?

We won't be able to spend 14 million on two centers.

Old
06-10-2012, 01:03 PM
Killem Dafoe
k.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Im not worked up. I too am discussing.

But the parameters don't match.

Its not a trade or swap that does anything for the roster.

Even if you trade him for a scoring winger it doesn't match up.

Who would the winger skate with?

We won't be able to spend 14 million on two centers.
Right, again, no ones arguing. I'm not all about trading Steps but who knows. If Sather can find an upgrade then i guess it's possible but very highly unlikely. I'm hoping Kreider and Stepan break out next year and become the next "Hull and Oats", i doubt it, but who really knows.

Old
06-10-2012, 01:04 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Don't know about Getzlaf, but Staal will definitely become a UFA. He wants out of Pitt.

Old
06-10-2012, 01:10 PM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
Don't know about Getzlaf, but Staal will definitely become a UFA. He wants out of Pitt.
Who said this?

Old
06-10-2012, 01:17 PM
McDonagh
Slow it down 30GHz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabroni1994 View Post
Who said this?
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe a couple months ago he came out and said something along the lines of him being ready to take on more responsibility. I can't remember exactly what he said but it was mostly interpreted as him wanting to get out of Crosby and Malkin's shadow.

Old
06-10-2012, 01:20 PM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
I'd honestly trade Stepan for Getzlaf. It would probably cost another player and pick, but he's still reasonably young, 27 I believe, he's a huge body, a presence, and fits the mold of this team. Stepan, AA need to show me something next season. They both need to bulk up

Old
06-10-2012, 01:28 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Getz isn't far away from UFA, Stepan is 21 years old and ever improving.

Would you trade McDonagh for a soon to be UFA slight upgrade at defense?

Old
06-10-2012, 01:41 PM
Silence Of The Plams
Zemgod

vCash: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antithesis View Post
Getz isn't far away from UFA, Stepan is 21 years old and ever improving.

Would you trade McDonagh for a soon to be UFA slight upgrade at defense?
No. no no NO

Old
06-10-2012, 01:41 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabroni1994 View Post
Who said this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by McDonagh View Post
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe a couple months ago he came out and said something along the lines of him being ready to take on more responsibility. I can't remember exactly what he said but it was mostly interpreted as him wanting to get out of Crosby and Malkin's shadow.

Yeah he wants to go where he's the number one C. He's not looking to resign in Pittsburgh.
Also according to McKenzie wants to play with one of his brothers.

Old
06-10-2012, 01:43 PM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

Quote:
Yeah he wants to go where he's the number one C. He's not looking to resign in Pittsburgh.
Guess he's going to Carolina then. As much as I'd like to have him, our money is going to be tied up elsewhere next offseason.

Old
06-10-2012, 01:45 PM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
McDonagh is already a top pairing d-man, Stepan isn't as good at his position as McDonagh is. He's only 21 I get it, but if he doesn't bulk up and improve his skating along with face offs I'm not sure he'll ever reach his potential.

Old
06-10-2012, 01:50 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4th Line Grinder View Post
McDonagh is already a top pairing d-man, Stepan isn't as good at his position as McDonagh is. He's only 21 I get it, but if he doesn't bulk up and improve his skating along with face offs I'm not sure he'll ever reach his potential.
I said that I was concerned about him. I'm looking at his talent level and he looks like he's going to be very limited.

He REALLY needs to work on his game. Not just one or two things either.
I'm still wondering what he worked on last off-season because I didn't see any improvements...

I like the kid, don't get me wrong, I'm just calling it like I see it.

Old
06-10-2012, 01:53 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Eat Crow View Post
Guess he's going to Carolina then. As much as I'd like to have him, our money is going to be tied up elsewhere next offseason.
It's one of the reasons why I don't want Parise. Save the money for next year. Better UFA class.

Old
06-10-2012, 02:03 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:
The first part looks to be fact.

The second part looks to be his own speculation.

They're not trading Stepan. Not a snowball's chance in hell do they trade a 21 year old center that put up 51 points. Who has undeniable chemistry with Kreider. Who is a solid on the PK. And is one of the few creative players with the puck.

Not happening.

Anisimov, on the other hand, I'm not as convinced is long for the Rangers.

I swear some just don't pay attention to what the guys running this club say.

Gorton, Tortorella, Sather, Messier are all extremely high on Stepan. And depth down the middle is not that strong right now, but they're going to turn around and trade Stepan?

Not happening.

If they sign Schultz, Del Zotto MAY become available. Erixon MAY become available.

While they had enough interest in Nash, they weren't willing to trade these guys away in the middle of a Stanley Cup run. Yet, they'd be willing to deal them now? No. Forget what the RUMORS were, the fact is it didn't happen.
Great post and I agree with just about everything said here. Center is a concern. I am sure they would love to score eitherJStall or Getzlaf.

Stepan is still young. He does need to be a better playoff player though. Given his pedigree, I never expected this would be a problem.

Anisimov, on the other hand, may not have a defined role on this team. He died in the playoffs last year too. I think his percieved value to other teams may be greater than his value to the Rangers right now. This may be the summer to move him.

Unless, of course, Radulov is coming.

Old
06-10-2012, 02:13 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
I actually think a Dubinsky and Anisimov package deal is going to happen. Again Ryan Clowe and another piece from SJ is my guess.

SJ needs to shake things up and Clowe ,Richards, Gaborik could be great. Need more than Clowe though for those 2
Anisimov straight up for Clowe?

Quote:
This may be hard to believe today but IF everything gets settled here in Phoenix, don't count the Coyotes out on this one. They need a face of the franchise in waiting to replace Shane Doan. It has been talked about and the Coyotes are one team with an overabundance of puck moving defensemen in their system that could match up with Pittsburgh in a sign and trade.

Old
06-10-2012, 02:17 PM
CM PUNK

re: getzlaf/staal...i wouldn't trade for them right now because i'm not giving up on stepan that quickly. but brooks is right that stepan and/or anisimov still need to prove that they can be a legit #2 center on a cup contender. i love dstep but he hasn't shown he can get the job done in the playoffs...

but given that unknown it might make more sense to go far a short term deal like radulov or trying to get iginla as a rental the locking up big $$ for the next decade into nash or parise...then stepan/anisimov have next season to show that they can do the job and have learned from their experience. if they fail to improve then you've got $$ to go after getzlaf or staal as ufas to fill that spot. if, like we hope, stepan steps up and shows that he can in fact be the #2 center then you can go ahead and spend that money on a winger like perry

Old
06-10-2012, 02:23 PM
BigDaddyNYR
Calgary Flames GM

Was Brooks column in today's post? If not could someone link me to it. Thanks

Old
06-10-2012, 02:24 PM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddyNYR View Post
Was Brooks column in today's post? If not could someone link me to it. Thanks
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...ALIXDqIjOWWKUK

Old
06-10-2012, 02:25 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuccarello Awesome View Post
Del Zotto, Dubinsky, Miller, 1st for Nash
Sign Schultz
3rd and 4th for Radulov and 6th

Kreider Richards Nash <-- extreme size and skill
Radulov Anisimov Gaborik <-- two skilled attackers with defensively responsible Artie in the middle
Hagelin Stepan Callahan <-- best third line in the league by far
Rupp Boyle Prust <-- 4th liners playing on...the 4th line. What a concept.
Mitchell <-- great spare, IMO

McDonagh Girardi
Staal Schultz
Erixon Sauer / Stralman / McIlrath / cheap vet UFA

Lundqvist
Biron
I like the first part of your proposal to get Nash but I'd stay far away from Baby Rattle Radulov and then to compound the mistake of acquiring him, you want to stick him with Anisimov and Gaborik?

A line of those 3 would be pounded into sawdust in the playoffs against most teams. The idea is to get better but we also need to get much bigger, more physical and tougher to play against!

Closed Thread