HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Who can Phaneuf pair with?

Old
06-08-2012, 02:24 PM
Leafs For Life*
Nothing

vCash: 500
Phaneuf-Gunnar
Schultz-Gardiner
Schenn-Liles

See pair 2/3 as equal in matching up against opposition, Pair 1 faces the top line guys. Franson and Komisarek for a 4th line LW IE __-Steckel-Brown

Leafs For Life* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 12:31 AM
diceman934

Dion is the human turnstile....

I say we trade him and the sooner the better......but we will not...so Schenn is the best bet for his partner playing on the right side.

LML is another we should ship out....but we extended him when he was concussed?

diceman934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 02:29 AM
Bills09

Phaneuf Schenn
Liles Franson
Gardiner Schultz
Komiserak

If Phaneuf if playing the left side really isnt room for Gunnarson and he likely will be dealt.

Bills09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 03:17 AM
MrPiff17
Bay St. Bullies

I would like to see:

Franson - Phaneuf

Liles - Schenn

Gardiner - Schultz

MrPiff17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 09:04 AM
birddog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudLife View Post
I would like to see lines similar to these, but I feel like Toronto is missing a guy that can play with Dion. Doesn't have to be a No.1 guy, but a Veteran maybe, someone more stay-at-home. I think Gardiner will eventually be the No.1 and Phaneuf will be traded, so that's not the issue I'm concerned about.

? - Phaneuf
Gardiner - Franson
Gunnar - Holzer/JML

Who would pair well with Dion Phaneuf?
When Aulie was playing well -- he was Phaneuf's best partner. Aulie allowed Phaneuf to roam. As big as Phaneuf is, he's still very much and offensive defenseman that takes chances offensively and trying to land the big hit.

Due to his physical style Phaneuf is often a target physically and Gunnarson has done nothing to help that. Gunnarson should be on the third pairing. He's definitely sound but he plays too soft to eat up 25 minutes a night.

Schenn is seen as a righty but played his best hockey as a Leaf on the left side as a rookie. Schenn should be the guy playing with Phaneuf. At 25 mintes a night he'd be much more difficult to play against than Gunnarson. He'd provide Phaneuf with a defensive partner and more importantly someone to handle the rough stuff.

I'd love to see this pairing 25 minutes a night against other teams top lines. I know if I was playing against the Leafs I'd rather play against Gunnarson than Schenn/Phaneuf the whole game. That's one tough pairing.

Schenn Phaneuf
Gardiner Schultz (yes I know wishful)
Gunnarson Franson

Komi needs to go. Schenn is an all-star compared to him and if you want to get bigger like Burke always says -- Liles needs to go.

Gunnarson Franson would be a very solid third pairing that could step up and play more minutes when needed.

Gardiner Schultz could be spectacular in a few years.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 09:06 AM
birddog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bills09 View Post
Phaneuf Schenn
Liles Franson
Gardiner Schultz
Komiserak

If Phaneuf if playing the left side really isnt room for Gunnarson and he likely will be dealt.
Deal Liles. Gunnarson is much better defensively. If you want to get bigger -- like the Leafs desperately do -- you need to start somewhere.

Liles and McArthur are likely candidates imo since the Leafs need to be bigger in the top 6 as well.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 10:37 AM
p.l.f.
mvp

gardiner/gunnarsson with phaneuf

gardiner for offense
gunnarsson for defense

makes sense

p.l.f. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 10:55 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Phaneuf needs a reliable defense partner that compliments Dion and most importantly provides stable defensive awareness first and foremost.

Since Phaneuf will be out against other teams top offensive players and be asked to shutdown them down, the best option remains Gunnarsson at present.

Its always best to pair a PMD/Offensive Dman with a steady defensive partner for balance.

Gardiner and Schenn make a good 2nd pairing as they still learn and develop and gain experience.

06-10-2012, 11:12 AM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Ideally, Phaneuf plays with Ryan Suter, but that's not easy to get done.

I see:

Phaneuf-Gunnar
Schultz-Gardiner
Liles-Komo
Holzer

Liles is holding a place for Blacker.
Komo is holding a place for Percy.
The sooner we can replace Gunnar with a true #1, the better. Gunnar can then replace one of Komo or Liles.

Schenn and Franson are traded for an upgrade elsewhere.

Alternately, but not ideally, we swap Schenn in for Gunnar on the top pairing.

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 11:15 AM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Can anyone tell me if JayBo and DP played together in Calgary? JayBo while not physical has become a very good defensive defenceman and I wonder how they'd pair together.

Old
06-10-2012, 11:47 AM
Thomas Malthus
The Dismal Team

As long as Phaneuf is staying on the right side, from our current roster he should play with Gunnarsson. If we were to move Gunnarsson, a suitable replacement from free agency would be Bryan Allen. Ideally, I'd love Tim Gleason. Shledon Souray would be my second free agency choice if Allen is gone and Gunnarsson is moved.

If Phaneuf moves to the left side, then our best in house right sider becomes Komisarek. Even though Komi played just over half of the games this season, he faced tougher competition than Schenn while starting the the defensive zone 42% of the time and finishing in the offensive zone 50% of the time (copmared with 50% in both categories for Schenn). This year in free agency, Kubina is the best right handed defenceman to be had (Roszival the second) and he doesn't play against top competition. So another right side guy would have to be acquired through trade that could fill top pairing minutes against tough competition, that's a tough order to fill.

Thomas Malthus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 01:03 PM
calcal798

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisx101 View Post
We have Phaneuf, Schenn, Franson and Komi as RHD and Gunnar, Gardiner, Liles as LHD. Problem is Phaneuf should naturally be a LHD, and Carlyle believes this as well, meaning Schenn would be our best option as RHD.
With Carlyle bringing a more defensive system it should let Schenn play his old game again. If he can do that he would be the perfect d pairing for phaneuf as defense is his strong point. If Phaneuf switxhes to the left side and gets used to it they could become a pretty decent pair. If we manage to sign Schuktz the top four would be:

Phaneuf-Schenn
Gard-Schultz

Which could turn out to be one of the best in the league of they reach their potential and we get a strong goalie behind them. With Carlyles knowledge of d and his experiencr it should helpvthem do that.

calcal798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 01:07 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by calcal798 View Post
With Carlyle bringing a more defensive system it should let Schenn play his old game again. If he can do that he would be the perfect d pairing for phaneuf as defense is his strong point. If Phaneuf switxhes to the left side and gets used to it they could become a pretty decent pair. If we manage to sign Schuktz the top four would be:

Phaneuf-Schenn
Gard-Schultz

Which could turn out to be one of the best in the league of they reach their potential and we get a strong goalie behind them. With Carlyles knowledge of d and his experiencr it should helpvthem do that.
It's a very young top 4 too, but relatively cheap. With Komo, Liles and Gunnar to back them up when needed.

Old
06-10-2012, 01:21 PM
calcal798

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke meat pete View Post
It's a very young top 4 too, but relatively cheap. With Komo, Liles and Gunnar to back them up when needed.
Yep. And instaed of having one guy with all the pressure on him, we have four dman that are all good and if one has an off night, the others can make up for it. Having a norris caliber dman as our coach will probably help.

Imagine burke pulls this off in the summer:

Lupol-bozak-kessel
Kuli-grabo-grigs
Damigo-kadri-frattin
Komarov-stck-brown

Phaneuf-schenn
Gard-schultz
Liles-gunnar

Luongo
Reimer

calcal798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 01:26 PM
Mystifo
Lol Doodle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke meat pete View Post
Can anyone tell me if JayBo and DP played together in Calgary? JayBo while not physical has become a very good defensive defenceman and I wonder how they'd pair together.
From talking to my buddies who are Flames fans they had this to say. The fan base cried for it to happen but Sutter would never pair them together. They continued to try and get Regehr - Phaneuf to work. I too would be interested in the Jaybo idea but at the same time I hate that contract he has. I love Jaybo for what he brings just that contact would be a big hit.

Now as for a pairing partner for Phaneuf here are my ideas.

1. Luke Schenn - If they are seriously looking to put Phaneuf on the other side then this is our answer. Luke looked out of place when it was a run and gun Ronnie running the show but a Calm Carlye system would do wonders for a guy like Schenn and having his usual side would help him dearly.

2. Jaybo - If it can be done where say we can get rid of a part of LACK (K IMHO.) then I would be interested in this. Jaybo contract is the only problem with it I can put up with him not being a physical force but I doubt Burkie can.

3. Roman Hamerlik - This is the guy who was his partner when he was a force. This is the man who was at his side when he was laying people out in Calgary. This is the guy who he played with when he became a Norris candidate. Here is our answer. IMHO if you want vintage Dion you get on the phone with Washington and you start asking what they want in return.

Mystifo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 01:34 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Thanks for the info. I kinda assumed sending Connolly as a short term #1 center, and Colborne as a center of the future. And Colborne is a hometown kid. Maybe add in Franson and see where Calgary stands. Ideally, we spend the same money on JayBo to add Suter instead, but he seems destined for Detroit. Although he'll have big shoes to fill.

Old
06-10-2012, 01:34 PM
BlueBaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by calcal798 View Post
Yep. And instaed of having one guy with all the pressure on him, we have four dman that are all good and if one has an off night, the others can make up for it. Having a norris caliber dman as our coach will probably help.

Imagine burke pulls this off in the summer:

Lupol-bozak-kessel
Kuli-grabo-grigs
Damigo-kadri-frattin
Komarov-stck-brown

Phaneuf-schenn
Gard-schultz
Liles-gunnar

Luongo
Reimer
Seems unlikely Grigs would make the team next year if we got him. If he did make the team I have to think it would because he showed such chemestry with Kessel and Lupul he could not be sent back to junior.

BlueBaron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 01:40 PM
EazyB97

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke meat pete
Thanks for the info. I kinda assumed sending Connolly as a short term #1 center, and Colborne as a center of the future. And Colborne is a hometown kid. Maybe add in Franson and see where Calgary stands. Ideally, we spend the same money on JayBo to add Suter instead, but he seems destined for Detroit. Although he'll have big shoes to fill.
Jay Bouwmeester? The guy who has 1 playoff appearance since minor hockey and that was only because Florida moved him to a playoff team after it became apparent his team wouldn't qualify for the Calder Cup playofs during the lockout? I don't love Connolly, Colborne or Franson, but I wouldn't give up anything more than Lombardi/Armstrong/Komisarek and a mid round pick for Bouwmeester right now.

EazyB97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 01:41 PM
Pierre Gotye

I am starting to think Dumba would look very nice alongside the Dion.

Dion+Dion Jr, FTW!!!

Pierre Gotye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 01:51 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by EazyB97 View Post
Jay Bouwmeester? The guy who has 1 playoff appearance since minor hockey and that was only because Florida moved him to a playoff team after it became apparent his team wouldn't qualify for the Calder Cup playofs during the lockout? I don't love Connolly, Colborne or Franson, but I wouldn't give up anything more than Lombardi/Armstrong/Komisarek and a mid round pick for Bouwmeester right now.
I'd have no problem with JayBo. I love his skill set. His contract isn't ideal, but I think he makes Dion a better player.

Old
06-10-2012, 01:59 PM
questhockey

What about Volchenkov (Good cap hit $4.25) - he logs big minutes, true defensive D-man, blocks tons of shots. I think he is one of most respected guys in league for what he does every night.

Phaneuf Volchenkov
Gunnar Gardiner
Liles Schenn
Blacker/Franson/Holzer/Komi or whoever deserves it.

questhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 01:59 PM
Terrence
Registered Slacker

Ryan Murray.

Terrence is offline   Reply With Quote