HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Crosby Signing a 10-Year Deal Worth $90 Million?

Old
06-10-2012, 02:36 AM
PensBeerGeek

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to PensBeerGeek Send a message via Yahoo to PensBeerGeek
Quote:
Originally Posted by YuioIklo View Post
Still asking for 9M a year... which is 13% of the cap. The team has to sign 20 players. I wonder why there hasn't been a smart player who decided to sign for 1M (honestly, you won't starve with 1M/year... I probably wont even get 1M in my whole life) so his team has a lot of room to deal with. Imagine if 2-3 star players did that and played together, holy crap. But they would rather have a bigger house, a better car, etc. It's not about Crosby, I've said it about many players getting big contracts.
If your entire roster signed $1M per year contracts, you'd be well under the floor.

PensBeerGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 02:38 AM
JS19
Four Kicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennilfloss View Post
The mention of $14 million confuses me. I was under the impression that $10 million was set as the yearly salary limit a few years ago.
The maximum salary a player can receive is contingent on a percentage of overall salary cap. What that means is that every time the cap goes up or down, the percentage also increases or decreases.

Quote:
Is there a maximum an individual player may earn?

Yes. No player may be eligible to contract for or receive in excess of 20% of the Club's upper limit in total annual compensation (NHL salary plus signing, roster, reporting and all performance bonuses). In 2005-06, no player will be permitted to contract for total compensation in excess of $7.8 million in any year of his contract.
Assume the salary cap next year is 70.3 (as rumours have stated), 20% of the cap is 14.06 million dollars, which means that 14.06 million accounts for the maximum Sidney Crosby could get next year.

JS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 04:13 AM
Whoyawit*

Sounds about right, no?
Take a look at the clowns that make similar cheddar in the league - Sid's a pimp compared to most of the rest.

Whoyawit* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 04:18 AM
Sh00terMcGavin
This is My Swamp

No doubt they're just gonna give Sid a blank check. Hope he helps the Pens organization by taking less than the league max.

Sh00terMcGavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 09:27 AM
SIDGENO8771

If we sign Sid for 9. Then Malkin wont take anymore than 9. So we only add 600k to the cap. How does this end it for Staal? With an increase of 6 million in the cap this year, If we give Staal 6 million per, we would still have 4 million. Then we trade Martin. This ends it for Martin not Staal.

SIDGENO8771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 10:25 AM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIDGENO8771 View Post
If we sign Sid for 9. Then Malkin wont take anymore than 9. So we only add 600k to the cap. How does this end it for Staal? With an increase of 6 million in the cap this year, If we give Staal 6 million per, we would still have 4 million. Then we trade Martin. This ends it for Martin not Staal.
But don't you want Staal on your leafs team?

dredeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 11:56 AM
Zbynek

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrschrute217 View Post
haven't we learned already paper champs almost never win. The 2011 heat, 2011 eagles, 2009 red wings, 2008 rangers (after drury and gomez signed) all lost after everyone picked them to win it all in the preseason. The penguins would be even better with parise but to crown them conference champs just because of that would be ridiculous. They'd still have a lot of questions on defense and in goal.
rofl

Zbynek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 12:19 PM
detredWINgs

A 10 year deal? That's insane. Recurring concussion problems don't just go away. Crosby's had a target on his back from Day 1 in this league, and he's not particularly well-liked. He's shown that he's willing to take a paycut, and probably wants to spend his entire career with one team, so "locking him up" shouldn't be a huge concern. A $9M center sitting on the sidelines for half a season should be. Especially if/when Staal is dealt.

detredWINgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 12:22 PM
Confound
-Vindicated-

I wonder if Malkin would sign a similar contract.

Confound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 12:23 PM
SIDGENO8771

Quote:
Originally Posted by dredeye View Post
But don't you want Staal on your leafs team?
I'd rather have him on Pittsburgh so we have the three center stack. And the Leafs are a fail franchise.

SIDGENO8771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 12:39 PM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceremony View Post
10 years for someone whose ability to play even one season is still sketchy is one hell of a leap if you ask me. If this is true then good luck to him, since you never want to see someone's career ended by injury, but I don't see it working out for them.
Makes sense for the Penguins, may not make sense for their owner but I'm sure there'll be some sort of insurance policy involved.

PS, no single player is worth ~20% ($14M) of the cap in a league required to dress at least 19 players. Good deal for the Pens.

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 12:45 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Spreadin Cheer;Mumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by detredWINgs View Post
A 10 year deal? That's insane. Recurring concussion problems don't just go away. Crosby's had a target on his back from Day 1 in this league, and he's not particularly well-liked. He's shown that he's willing to take a paycut, and probably wants to spend his entire career with one team, so "locking him up" shouldn't be a huge concern. A $9M center sitting on the sidelines for half a season should be. Especially if/when Staal is dealt.
Just ask Patrice Bergeron.

Crosby is so valuable that getting him signed long-term to a cap-friendly deal would be worth the risk 10/10 times.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 12:52 PM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by YuioIklo View Post
I wonder why there hasn't been a smart player who decided to sign for 1M (honestly, you won't starve with 1M/year... I probably wont even get 1M in my whole life) so his team has a lot of room to deal with. Imagine if 2-3 star players did that and played together, holy crap.
See: 03-04 Avalanche

Tanguay - Forsberg - Hejduk
Kariya - Sakic - Selanne

Doesn't always work out the way you may think.

Lonewolfe2015 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 01:04 PM
Frankie Spankie

Any quotes, video, or audio on this? I'd like to hear exactly what was said instead of just typing something they heard on TV.

Quote:
Are you sure about that?

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 01:05 PM
JS19
Four Kicks

Quote:
Except 29 other teams know Martin has little to no value at all due to his contract, so how are you going to trade him off so easily?

And it's not just about the dollar sign, what if Jordan Staal actually wants his role to be expanded instead of being a 3C since his beginning? After all, he definitely has the potential to be a top-6 on many teams.

Old
06-10-2012, 01:15 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
He's not going anywhere else. I would consider a short term deal, given his injury concerns.

“This is for you Kings fans wherever you may be. All the frustration and disappointment of the past is gone. The 45 year drought is over. The Los Angeles Kings are indeed the Kings of the National Hockey League. They are the 2012 Stanley Cup Champions!” - Bob Miller
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 01:22 PM
MeowLeafs
LM is awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
See: 03-04 Avalanche

Tanguay - Forsberg - Hejduk
Kariya - Sakic - Selanne

Doesn't always work out the way you may think.
Yeah that's a pretty good lineup I guess

But seriously...

- 3 hall of famers (Sakic, Selanne, Forsberg)
- 1 borderline hall of famer (Kariya. I, personally, would have him in but I don't know if he actually will make it. Would be a clear hofer if it wasn't for injuries)
- Hejduk, coming off a 50 goal 98 point, 2nd team all-star season
- Tanguay, who had the 2nd highest ppg ratio that season for players playing 50+ games

wow

MeowLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 02:01 PM
superhenderson13

if we get malkin and crosby to go to 9 million, combined that's a 600k salary raise between the 2 of them.

i think staal would max out at 6 million, but i think he takes 5.5 or even 5.

MAF probably wont get much of a raise when his contract expires, but ill say 6 million for argument sakes.

orpik's 3.75 salary will come down once his deal expires.

niskanen should be resigned at 2-2.5 mil

letang i think could be on his way out once his contract expires but i could see him go to 5-6 million.

overall the penguins salary situation isnt terrible. obviously martin probably needs to go because of his 5 million, but there is no reason to think that the penguins HAVE to trade someone.

superhenderson13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 02:20 PM
JS19
Four Kicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by superhenderson13 View Post
if we get malkin and crosby to go to 9 million, combined that's a 600k salary raise between the 2 of them.

i think staal would max out at 6 million, but i think he takes 5.5 or even 5.

MAF probably wont get much of a raise when his contract expires, but ill say 6 million for argument sakes.

orpik's 3.75 salary will come down once his deal expires.

niskanen should be resigned at 2-2.5 mil

letang i think could be on his way out once his contract expires but i could see him go to 5-6 million.

overall the penguins salary situation isnt terrible. obviously martin probably needs to go because of his 5 million, but there is no reason to think that the penguins HAVE to trade someone.
Orpik's salary won't go down...loads of teams would love to add a defender like him and will pay top dollar to add him into the fold. Letang would be going for fair market price for 40-50 point d-men...if you let him go you lose an offensive threat from the defense.

Old
06-10-2012, 02:22 PM
Beauner
Bye Bye Bylsma

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS19 View Post
Orpik's salary won't go down...loads of teams would love to add a defender like him and will pay top dollar to add him into the fold. Letang would be going for fair market price for 40-50 point d-men...if you let him go you lose an offensive threat from the defense.
Yeah I'd expect Brooks' salary to increase a little bit. Hopefully he stays, would be nice to see him finish his career here.

As for Letang, there's no way Shero lets him go. He's just too good.

Beauner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 03:00 PM
passive voice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordy View Post
Because the NHLPA would lose their minds if star players tried to sign contracts that low.
Why the hell would they care? Just means more HRR to pass around to the other 700-odd players.

passive voice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 03:24 PM
SkullSplitter

Sid for 9 million? Hell yes.

SkullSplitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 03:32 PM
crazyforhockey

keep in mind that the year afterthat Letang salary will probably/could jump from 3.5mil to 6+mil

and Martin does have a NTC too...so even if convinced to be able to trade him will be a limited amount of teams.

still dont think Crosby signs for 10 mil or more...he realizes the need to fill out roster

crazyforhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 04:02 PM
PensBeerGeek

Send a message via AIM to PensBeerGeek Send a message via Yahoo to PensBeerGeek
Quote:
Originally Posted by passive voice View Post
Why the hell would they care? Just means more HRR to pass around to the other 700-odd players.
It does set a bit of a de facto individual salary cap limit.

How can Stamkos ask for $10 million when Crosby gets $9?

The PA is a big believer in the "rising tide lifts all boats" theory.

PensBeerGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 04:14 PM
hockeyfreak7

Nobody has ever explained to me the "risk" in signing an injury prone player to a 10 year contract.

If he gets hurt, you get the cap space back.

If he retires, the contract comes off the books.

I dont see the problem. If the Pens can get him to commit the rest of his career to Pittsburgh, they do it.

hockeyfreak7 is offline   Reply With Quote