HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

SCF Gm#5, 6/9/12: KINGS lose to DEVILS 2-1, but lead series 3-2 ...

Closed Thread

Old
06-10-2012, 12:21 PM
SLang

vCash: 500
My two cents....

Games 1 and 2 could have gone either way, with the Kings having puck luck.
Game 3 was dominated by the Kings.
Games 4 and 5 could have gone either way, with the Devils having puck luck.

I just watched the very end of game 5 again. If Richards is hurt, it didn't show on the two one-timers. He had full range of motion, just didn't get the shot off he wanted.

Kopitar needs to step up and outwork the NJ players who are doing such an effective job on him. If Williams can skate right up the slot and score like he did last night then damn it Kopi should too.

Brown's gotta be hurt.

So, for the first time in these entire playoffs, the Kings are in the position of having to make changes to counter the opposition. The Gagne move was really to just get better, not so much a move made out of necessity.

I think Penner should be moved to the first line with Kopi and Williams. Gagne should be moved to the second with Richards and Carter, where their familiarity could pay off big-time.

Those are the easy adjustments - it gets harder with the bottom two lines, since they are so critical defensively. But, how hurt is Brown? Is he so injured that he shouldn't play? Let's not forget, we have two potentially effective players in Richardson and Clifford who are both well-rested. This would seem to be a critical issue. Sit Brown, and who else.....King? Possibly....

So then the third line becomes Richardson-Stoll-Lewis and the fourth Clifford-Fraser-Nolan.

Maybe flip Clifford and Richardson but I like the speed of that 3rd line and the grit of the 4th.

Possibly sit Nolan for King and put King on the 4th line.

Look, I KNOW sitting Brown is crazy and extreme, but damn, if he's so hurt he can't contribute then what good is he in this critical pair of games? How much would his leadership be missed? That is the big question. Then again, might a "win it for Brownie" mentality be just enough to push us over the edge right into the Cup?

God, I'm glad I'm not Sutter.

Old
06-10-2012, 12:25 PM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

lol sitting Brown would be so bad. Even injured, him just being on the ice is a threat and creates room for his linemates

Sutter won't change anything because he doesn't need to, the team is playing fine, they created all of the chances yesterday and held Jersey to hardly any scoring chances. No need for knee jerk reactions

Old
06-10-2012, 12:26 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frolov 6'3 View Post
Several fair weather fans around here, unbelievable. Do I like it that the Devils have won 2 games in a row, no.

Now I even read these are the worst games the Kings have played. What game are some of you watching ? This is so typical for a fair weather fan, if you lose than it also means you are playing like crap. These people cant put things into perspective and start to whine about everything. I would say the last two games were much better than the first three games. Strangely enough, the result is different.

The Kings have hit a bunch of posts in the last two games. Its ridiculous. In game 4 they had a ton of chances (break aways etc) and in this game 5 they were by far the better team again. New Jersey are scoring on deflections, an empty netter, bonehead play by Quick etc etc. Yeah those goals will count, of course but that wont last long.

Alec Martinez even hit two posts on one shot. If the Kings keep playing like this they eventually will win one of the two remaining games.

Just relax.

I'm gone for two days, I will be back when Dustin is lifting the Stanley Cup.
It's pathetic. I hate it when fans are all happy when the times are good but rip on the players when they're not. It's sport, it happens, these guys are responsible for the run so far and they have to figure out how to win. The Devils aren't slouches, they have a very strong team and a great goalie.

I just walked past the Hockey Hall of Fame in downtown Toronto and saw a picture of the Stanley Cup and also a Doughty sweater in the store window. I am taking it as an omen and getting ready to cheer them on tomorrow night.

Old
06-10-2012, 12:30 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
It's pathetic. I hate it when fans are all happy when the times are good but rip on the players when they're not. It's sport, it happens, these guys are responsible for the run so far and they have to figure out how to win. The Devils aren't slouches, they have a very strong team and a great goalie.

I just walked past the Hockey Hall of Fame in downtown Toronto and saw a picture of the Stanley Cup and also a Doughty sweater in the store window. I am taking it as an omen and getting ready to cheer them on tomorrow night.
The Kings' run to the Finals spoiled fans into thinking they'd waltz their way through the Stanley Cup. It's supposed to be a battle to win the Cup. No team with pride will let a team walk all over them. It's up to the Kings to turn this around.

Old
06-10-2012, 12:35 PM
SLang

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw1tch View Post
lol sitting Brown would be so bad. Even injured, him just being on the ice is a threat and creates room for his linemates

Sutter won't change anything because he doesn't need to, the team is playing fine, they created all of the chances yesterday and held Jersey to hardly any scoring chances. No need for knee jerk reactions
That's why I said it is crazy and extreme....but I guess it depends on the severity of the injury, and only the team knows that. If he does get sat then I guess that means it is severe.

I don't agree that Sutter doesn't need to change anything. I think he needs to tweak the lines a bit. Even if you move Penner to the first, Gagne to the second, it could be effective. Brown is such a wild card.....do you really want to move a hurt guy to your third or fourth line?

Again, glad I am not the coach, I potentially suck at this....but I'm a good fan!

Old
06-10-2012, 12:39 PM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Yesterday we were in target and I got 1 pack of cards. I told my myself, if I get a Kings player, they'll win tonight, and if I get a Devil, my experiment is waaaay off.

I got a Volchenkov.

Sorry!

Old
06-10-2012, 01:05 PM
ShattStar03

After watching last night I gotta credit the Devils, they played such a good game and capitalized on their chances.

These last 2 games were identical to games 1 and 2 but the Devils had some luck on their side. Hopefully the Kings come back and take the last one at home ice, if not I do NOT feel comfortable going to Jersey for a game 7.

Old
06-10-2012, 01:08 PM
Richie10

Today and tomorrow at work is going to be hell. Is is Monday yet?

Old
06-10-2012, 01:24 PM
Brad Doty
Compliance Hero

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie Weeks View Post
We've looked pretty much the same since Game 1. The Devils couldn't catch a break the first 2 games, same as us the last 2. The anomaly is Game 3, which we clearly outplayed them. As of now, that one game is what separates the Kings and Devils.

If both teams keep playing the same (well enough to win, supported by good and bad luck), I think we win this. New Jersey needs to go above and beyond playing well enough to win, they need to play well enough to guarantee it, otherwise its a coin toss that still favours us. Of course I'd prefer another Game 3, but as long as we don't regress I think all will be well.
Good post. Quoted for agreement

Last night hurts, though. Still. But if nothing else, it scared off some of the bandwagoners!

The things that make me laugh though are the media and the main boards acting like Brodeur has become the second coming, as if the Devils have momentum somehow, and as if the Kings looking mortal means they doubt themselves. Pfft.

I WILL say I like Brodeur's "I don't give a ****" demeanor, though. I'm happy for him that he's playing happy and carefree. One of the all-time greats right there!

Old
06-10-2012, 01:27 PM
Wildturkey12
Do It!

vCash: 2400
Im not worried. I think the only thing I am a little upset about is that I have to shell out the money for a game 6 ticket but that is well worth the money.

My only concern is how out of place Gagne seems on that 4th line. Richardson would get in there and make things happen and Gagne is just not as strong on the forecheck. I think Clifford gets his shot Monday night.

Old
06-10-2012, 01:44 PM
KingKopitar11*
Drew Doughty Eh?

Cmon kings. stop screwing us over. Step up for one last game for ****s sake. Go balls out. Except quick, dont go anywhere.

Old
06-10-2012, 01:45 PM
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Make It 30!!!!

Bob McKenzie wrote : QUICK'S UNSURE PLAY IN GAME 5 OPENS DOOR FOR DEVILS

Hopefully, it opened the door for Doughty to win the Conn Smythe when the Kings take it in 6.

Old
06-10-2012, 01:46 PM
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Make It 30!!!!

I did not think it was smart to bring in Gagne and mess with the Chemistry.

Old
06-10-2012, 01:58 PM
William H Bonney

I'm torn on the Gagne "situation." I understand why he was inserted but I understand the argument against it as well. He hasn't been bad or anything but outside of his missed chances in Game 4, he also hasn't been noticeable either. I'm not against him coming back out of the lineup but if you did that, do you go with Richardson or Clifford? Given that the Kings physical play has absolutely died off during the course of the last two games, Clifford may not be a bad choice. Richardson, if he's playing well, is perfect on that 4th line but he's so hot and cold you never know what you're going to get.

Either way, as long as the Kings win tomorrow I won't care! All the torment of watching the last two games will be forgiven if the Kings end up raising the Cup, and at home, anyway. Go Kings Go!

06-10-2012, 01:59 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5888
I don't understand how bringing Gagne into the 4th line disrupted the chemistry of either of the first two lines.

Old
06-10-2012, 02:04 PM
Chazz Reinhold

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
I don't understand how bringing Gagne into the 4th line disrupted the chemistry of either of the first two lines.
It doesn't. It's a straw-man argument. The Kings scored the most convincing victory of the Final with Gagne in the lineup.

Old
06-10-2012, 02:09 PM
William H Bonney

Quote:
It didn't. And heck, given the Kings lack of scoring these last two games (combined with their ridiculously bad luck) the argument for a guy like Gagne being in there is even stronger than it was prior to game 3.

I think if, I mean when, we see the Kings score early in Game 6, we'll see that chemistry reappear and we'll see Brodeur's luck run out. Contrary to what the media heads are saying, Marty isn't in the Kings heads - the Kings are in their own heads. An early lead will end that.

Old
06-10-2012, 02:34 PM
Ollie Weeks

Gagne created a couple quality chances, he's not the problem. Brodeur is the problem right now, as I see it. We're doing most things correctly and consistently, but Brodeur and the iron are coming up huge. Keep at it, either the luck swings back our way or we plow ahead and make our own.

Old
06-10-2012, 02:37 PM
Richie10

I just hope the team feels how I currently feel: pissed off, ready for revenge, and determined to win no matter the cost. I want them to come out flying on Monday.

Old
06-10-2012, 02:45 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
People are looking for anyone/anything to blame. He was fine and he's giving them versatility to move to the top line. I'm wondering why Brown didn't play for the last 5 minutes more than anything. Injury? Punishment?

Old
06-10-2012, 02:56 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
The only change I see from games 1 & 2 versus games 4&5 is the energy level from the kings. You won't get the bounces if you arent going at full speed at all times.

Quick's giveaway and Nolan's drive by cost the kings the cup in game 5. Correctable mistakes, but kings will have to be almost flawless if they don't have the emotion and energy in game 6.

I'm glad that some of the players are pissed, I'm tired of the robots that have been on the ice the past two games. Kings need to look at Parise from game 5 and play pissed off. Parise was all over the ice on Saturday. I remember when brown knocked down a pass from Brodeur and instead of stuffing it behind him, he fell down and turned it over. Parise buried his chance and that is why we have a game 6.

Kings still have the upper hand in the series, I don't know any team that wouldn't want a game six at home up 3-2 in the final.

Kings will finish off the devils tomorrow. Kings get back to playing what got them their first 15 wins.

Go Kings Go! I still believe!

If brown is hurt, I wouldn't be opposed with moving him down to the third line and put Penner on the top line and gagne on the second line. Didn't gagne and Richards play together in Philly?

Old
06-10-2012, 02:58 PM
123slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie Weeks View Post
Gagne created a couple quality chances, he's not the problem. Brodeur is the problem right now, as I see it. We're doing most things correctly and consistently, but Brodeur and the iron are coming up huge. Keep at it, either the luck swings back our way or we plow ahead and make our own.
Brodeur is not the problem. If Stoll had lifted the puck on the breakaway, it would have been a goal. He kept that **** on the ice.

It's about us not finishing chances, just like the Devils in Games 1 and 2. Sure, Quick was stellar those games, but the Devils were harping about not finishing their chances. Now they are, and we aren't. Simple as that.

This series is ours to lose, and I'm confident we won't lose it. You guys are way too quick to forget the amazing performance we've put on these playoffs, but then again I'm sure people will say I'm too quick to forget the 45 years of futility.

I know it's difficult for some, but look on the bright side for a change. It's fun. I was completely dejected after the loss, but like many people have said, if this series were 2-2 going into the 5th game (like it very well could have been) and we won Game 5, we'd all be ecstatic that the series is 3-2 in our favor and that we're going home to potentially win it.

Start getting worried if it goes to a Game 7. These 2 losses will only make winning the Cup that much sweeter. And remember, like a few have echoed on here, there really isn't momentum in hockey. Each game is a new game.

That being said, despite being "injured," Brown and Richards (along with Kopi) have to step the **** up. Richards has been the most invisible; it's pretty pathetic. Williams has been outstanding. Also, we need to hit more. A LOT more.

GO KINGS!!!!!!!!!!!

Old
06-10-2012, 02:59 PM
William H Bonney

Quote:
I'm wondering why Brown didn't play for the last 5 minutes more than anything. Injury? Punishment?
I haven't seen anything yet. I haven't really seen any quotes from Brown or Kopitar either after last night's game. Granted, I don't read nearly as many of the articles when they lose but I haven't seen anything from either of those guys in the press. Sutter and co. are probably just trying to shield them from the press, scrutiny, and anxiety of it all in the that regards.

I'd guess Brown not getting any TOI in the last 5 minutes is a combination of his recent struggles and the injuries he's probably battling. The other guys were more dangerous and deserved to be out there to try and tie it up.

Old
06-10-2012, 03:05 PM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123slam View Post
Brodeur is not the problem. If Stoll had lifted the puck on the breakaway, it would have been a goal. He kept that **** on the ice.
He made the right shot keeping it along the ice expecting Brodeur to pad stack. The problem was the shot it glove side for some random reason. You obviously go on the ice stick side if you think he will stack since that is where all of the space will be

Old
06-10-2012, 03:08 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

http://twitter.com/KatieStrangESPN/s...09583072002048
Quote:
Interesting insight from Doughty. Made it pretty clear that Kings were distracted at home before Game 4 with friends/family etc

Closed Thread