HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sharks acquire rights to Brad Stuart for conditional 2014 7th rounde pick and TOM

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-10-2012, 03:47 PM
  #76
19sharks19
Registered User
 
19sharks19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: T.O. to S.J. & back
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,873
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WantonAbandon View Post
That would be a really expensive 6/5 dman. Might me beneficial to trade him to a team trying to reach the floor.
not too expensive if the cap is going up as expected. Plus, this team needs more size, not remove from it.

19sharks19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 03:48 PM
  #77
param
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 3,083
vCash: 50
I've got a good feeling Demers or Braun will be traded this off season. Hopefully part of a deal to acquire a top-6 forward.

param is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 03:49 PM
  #78
Pinkfloyd
Registered User
 
Pinkfloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Roseville
Country: United States
Posts: 32,129
vCash: 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zappa View Post
Brodie Brazil ‏@brodiebrazilCSN
Stuart says he learned a lot from playing with Lidstrom, he can pass it along to younger players today: "setting an example". #sjsharks
The question at this point is where they expect him to play and what his contract will look like. He's been on the right side since being in Detroit but I'm sure some of his PK shifts involved the left side also. If they expect him to be a top four guy, that almost ensures that he's on the 2nd pairing with Boyle. There are other possibilities like moving Boyle or putting him on the 3rd pairing but not as likely as the prior.

As for his contract, I think 3 million per for two or three years with a limited NMC that includes only being able to deal him to LA/ANA/COL/PHX/VAN and maybe a playoff clause would be ideal. Anything over 3 million for Stuart in San Jose is likely an overpayment to some degree.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 03:50 PM
  #79
Pinkfloyd
Registered User
 
Pinkfloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Roseville
Country: United States
Posts: 32,129
vCash: 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfy View Post
Stuart's heart was in San Jose all year and this was by far his worst in Detroit. Being near his family could bring back what he provided the wings in 2008 and 2009 however maybe.

What do you sharks fans think about Andrew Murray, I see he actually played about half the season last year? Just a plug, or can he hit or PK or anything?
He's nothing special. He's not severely deficient in any area but he doesn't excel in any area either.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 03:52 PM
  #80
WantonAbandon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 5,185
vCash: 500
Another thing to consider about the whole rights deal is that it was most likely Holland that contacted Wilson after Stuart gave his final decision. If Wilson hadn't made a deal Id guess Hollands next call would have been to Bob Murray

WantonAbandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 03:52 PM
  #81
dwood16
Registered User
 
dwood16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: L.A.
Country: United States
Posts: 1,726
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
Generally, you can get a discount off the July 1 UFA price if you trade for someone's rights and come to some agreement. For a guy that wants to play here and an organization taking a step to ensure that, it can give Stuart an indication that taking less with an NMC would be the way to go. And that kind of thing is tough to get any UFA to do during the sweepstakes even with preferred destinations.
This is the best argument I've heard so far. Not totally sure I buy it but if we traded a 7th rounder for say 500-750k in cap savings, then it isn't a bad move. However, I have a feeling that Stuart will be a jerk and want too much money... which DW will gladly give him.

For those saying he is a upgrade over Murray. I say if you throw out an injured Murray last season, you are wrong. Murray has been very solid in the post-season every year up until then. That is not the case with Stuart.

dwood16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 03:53 PM
  #82
ZetterBurger
Registered User
 
ZetterBurger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Detroit, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 6,211
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
He's nothing special. He's not severely deficient in any area but he doesn't excel in any area either.
Stuey is a very good shot blocker and penalty killer. He also is well above average defending the rush and can chip in on the offensive side. He will be on SJ second pairing for sure.

ZetterBurger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 03:54 PM
  #83
magic school bus
***********
 
magic school bus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: San Jose, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 14,703
vCash: 1965
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfy View Post
Stuart's heart was in San Jose all year and this was by far his worst in Detroit. Being near his family could bring back what he provided the wings in 2008 and 2009 however maybe.

What do you sharks fans think about Andrew Murray, I see he actually played about half the season last year? Just a plug, or can he hit or PK or anything?
I wasn't sure why he got sent down. He was solid on the 4th line when he was here. Nothing special, but he can skate and do a lot of things well enough to stay in the lineup.

magic school bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 03:55 PM
  #84
7150
Lockout Season
 
7150's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,511
vCash: 500
**** yeah!

7150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 03:55 PM
  #85
19sharks19
Registered User
 
19sharks19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: T.O. to S.J. & back
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,873
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by param View Post
I've got a good feeling Demers or Braun will be traded this off season. Hopefully part of a deal to acquire a top-6 forward.
I have the same feeling. So many rumours out here in the east and, i've heard their names in discussions/rumour talk on more than one occasion.

Wouln't doubt in some package discussion for a Kessel or J. V. R. or Nash.

19sharks19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 03:55 PM
  #86
Gilligans Island
Registered User
 
Gilligans Island's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: SF/Bay Area
Posts: 7,950
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwood16 View Post
This is the best argument I've heard so far. Not totally sure I buy it but if we traded a 7th rounder for say 500-750k in cap savings, then it isn't a bad move. However, I have a feeling that Stuart will be a jerk and want too much money... which DW will gladly give him.

For those saying he is a upgrade over Murray. I say if you throw out an injured Murray last season, you are wrong. Murray has been very solid in the post-season every year up until then. That is not the case with Stuart.
Other than this year, Stuey's been a fine dman in the playoffs and he's still faster than Douglas. Injury recovery or not, Douglas will never be faster than Stuey and Stuey can handle > 20 min TOI whereas Douglas noticeably drops off once he hits the 20 min mark

Gilligans Island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 03:57 PM
  #87
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks
 
TheJuxtaposer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 26,376
vCash: 567
I'm so happy. Hopefully he takes a big discount to get an NTC so he has security to be with his family.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 03:57 PM
  #88
Pinkfloyd
Registered User
 
Pinkfloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Roseville
Country: United States
Posts: 32,129
vCash: 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwood16 View Post
This is the best argument I've heard so far. Not totally sure I buy it but if we traded a 7th rounder for say 500-750k in cap savings, then it isn't a bad move. However, I have a feeling that Stuart will be a jerk and want too much money... which DW will gladly give him.

For those saying he is a upgrade over Murray. I say if you throw out an injured Murray last season, you are wrong. Murray has been very solid in the post-season every year up until then. That is not the case with Stuart.
I wouldn't say that Stuart is an upgrade over Murray. I would say though that if you find an opportunity to make a lateral movement like Murray to Stuart and then move Murray for a 2nd rounder, it's something the Sharks have to do. They don't get many opportunities to add assets for next to nothing like this without losing somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZetterBurger View Post
Stuey is a very good shot blocker and penalty killer. He also is well above average defending the rush and can chip in on the offensive side. He will be on SJ second pairing for sure.
I was speaking about Andrew Murray in that post.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 03:58 PM
  #89
WantonAbandon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 5,185
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZetterBurger View Post
Stuey is a very good shot blocker and penalty killer. He also is well above average defending the rush and can chip in on the offensive side. He will be on SJ second pairing for sure.
I think he was talking about A Murray

WantonAbandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 03:58 PM
  #90
Nighthock
**** the Kings...
 
Nighthock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Reno, NV
Country: United States
Posts: 15,811
vCash: 163
Thank God. He has size, hits, blocks shots, and logs a ton of time on the PK. He's just what we need and he wants to be here. I love you, Brad ...

Nighthock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 03:59 PM
  #91
newfy
Registered User
 
newfy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 5,659
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by magic school bus View Post
I wasn't sure why he got sent down. He was solid on the 4th line when he was here. Nothing special, but he can skate and do a lot of things well enough to stay in the lineup.
So a pretty standard 4th liner.. Would you consider him a fast player?

newfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 04:00 PM
  #92
magic school bus
***********
 
magic school bus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: San Jose, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 14,703
vCash: 1965
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwood16 View Post
This is the best argument I've heard so far. Not totally sure I buy it but if we traded a 7th rounder for say 500-750k in cap savings, then it isn't a bad move. However, I have a feeling that Stuart will be a jerk and want too much money... which DW will gladly give him.

For those saying he is a upgrade over Murray. I say if you throw out an injured Murray last season, you are wrong. Murray has been very solid in the post-season every year up until then. That is not the case with Stuart.
Brad Stuart's postseason numbers look better to me.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=47618
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=28857

You be the judge.

magic school bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 04:00 PM
  #93
WantonAbandon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 5,185
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19sharks19 View Post
I have the same feeling. So many rumours out here in the east and, i've heard their names in discussions/rumour talk on more than one occasion.

Wouln't doubt in some package discussion for a Kessel or J. V. R. or Nash.
Don't know about Kessel, JVR may be a possibility but I don't think Demers and Braun are the defenseman Philly is looking for, The jackets have no use for Demers or Braun I would suspect.

WantonAbandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 04:01 PM
  #94
WantonAbandon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 5,185
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfy View Post
So a pretty standard 4th liner.. Would you consider him a fast player?
Yes he is fast. However I'm pretty sure he will be a spare part for Detroit. Being a spare part has been his career

WantonAbandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 04:01 PM
  #95
Karl with a C
RIP Локомотив
 
Karl with a C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: San Jose, CA
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 15,715
vCash: 500
This is a good move by DW to put himself in an advantageous position heading into free agency (and the draft). He will know what's what with Stuart soon, and that will allow him to focus on our other needs. Also, glad to have him back.

Karl with a C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 04:01 PM
  #96
19sharks19
Registered User
 
19sharks19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: T.O. to S.J. & back
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,873
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwood16 View Post
This is the best argument I've heard so far. Not totally sure I buy it but if we traded a 7th rounder for say 500-750k in cap savings, then it isn't a bad move. However, I have a feeling that Stuart will be a jerk and want too much money... which DW will gladly give him.

For those saying he is a upgrade over Murray. I say if you throw out an injured Murray last season, you are wrong. Murray has been very solid in the post-season every year up until then. That is not the case with Stuart.
Totally agree, Murray is by far our strongest/aggressive defensman and, with removing him we just become much softer. Thus, Clowe would pretty much be the only aggressive big body we'd have. L. A. and Boston have shown the importance of size and strength as an important neccessity on a team.

19sharks19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 04:01 PM
  #97
magic school bus
***********
 
magic school bus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: San Jose, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 14,703
vCash: 1965
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfy View Post
So a pretty standard 4th liner.. Would you consider him a fast player?
I don't know? If it was NHL12, I'd give him a low 80's speed rating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19sharks19 View Post
Totally agree, Murray is by far our strongest/aggressive defensman and, with removing him we just become much softer. Thus, Clowe would pretty much be the only aggressive big body we'd have. L. A. and Boston have shown the importance of size and strength as an important neccessity on a team.
Brad Stuart isn't soft. Not sure where people are getting the idea that Murray is so much tougher than him.

magic school bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 04:07 PM
  #98
5H4RK5
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 3,655
vCash: 500
Damnit Wilson about time, welcome back Brad Stuart, can you do your best Lidstrom impersonation for us. j/k

5H4RK5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 04:09 PM
  #99
19sharks19
Registered User
 
19sharks19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: T.O. to S.J. & back
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,873
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by magic school bus View Post
I don't know? If it was NHL12, I'd give him a low 80's speed rating.



Brad Stuart isn't soft. Not sure where people are getting the idea that Murray is so much tougher than him.
not saying Stuart is soft rather, I like his addition to the team, especially if we plan on holding onto Murray. As I mentioned earlier, (along with adding a finisher for big Joe), we need to add some size and strength to our squad. Stuart is a good addition.

19sharks19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 04:09 PM
  #100
210
Registered User
 
210's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Worcester, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 9,496
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WantonAbandon View Post
Yes he is fast. However I'm pretty sure he will be a spare part for Detroit. Being a spare part has been his career
I'll be surprised if Detroit signs him...he was only traded to get SJ an NHL contract slot to get Stuart.

210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:55 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.