HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

The Potential Lockout Thread

Old
06-07-2012, 02:07 PM
Crease

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
There will be a lockout. First game will be the Leafs@Wings Winter Classic on January 1.
Too WWF for me. It would really sour the Winter Classic.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 02:47 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
Too WWF for me. It would really sour the Winter Classic.
Christmas Day is a big TV day for the NBA. They opened the season on Christmas Day.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 09:11 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

McKenzie was answering questions earlier on Twitter and when asked about the lockout, he believes that there will be a month or two lost off the season.

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
@LeafErikson I say we miss a month or two. Hope I am wrong.

https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/s...90593629507584

06-08-2012, 08:13 PM
ltrangerfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRFAN218 View Post
McKenzie was answering questions earlier on Twitter and when asked about the lockout, he believes that there will be a month or two lost off the season.

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
@LeafErikson I say we miss a month or two. Hope I am wrong.

https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/s...90593629507584

A lockout?

The teams will play a full schedule.

Don Fehr is involved? I take that back. He only remembers the experience of battling for the national pastime in the USA.

Look for mass destruction of the sport (in this eco environment) that will set the league back 20 years.

Another lockout lasting more than a week and I'm done.

Last edited by ltrangerfan: 06-08-2012 at 08:21 PM.
ltrangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 08:18 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

If there is another lockout I may need to rethink my dedication to this sport. 2 in under 10 years is laughably ridiculous, inexcusable.

06-09-2012, 09:52 AM
Megustaelhockey
Global Moderator
Hybrid icing

The difference this time is there is much more Twitter/Facebook attention paid. While fans did not have as much of a say in the last work stoppage, this time they can publicly embarrass one or both sides and get something done much quicker. The length of any stoppage will only be determined by the parties' motivation to resolve their issues.

Work stoppages only hurt the fans. Clubs and players will be absurdly, obscenely wealthy no matter what happens.

Megustaelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 11:05 AM
Leetch66

A lengthy lockout will possibly mean the end of guys like Rupp , Biron , Feds , Mitchell who possibly might be replaced by some seasoned AHL kids who were playing from the start of the season and not sitting around collecting dust . I'm sure the kids will take full advantage of an NHL strike . Pretty near every team will lose 3 or more guys because of the inactivity IMO . I'm sure there were a lot that never came back after the last strike . Somebody must have that data .

Leetch66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 12:07 PM
Kreider Typical
flex

Quote:
There will be a lockout. First game will be the Leafs@Wings Winter Classic on January 1.
sadly this wouldn't in the least bit shock me. idk.. that's a LOT of revenue to be lost.

Kreider Typical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 12:37 PM
CostaTheCrazyGreek

Send a message via AIM to CostaTheCrazyGreek Send a message via Yahoo to CostaTheCrazyGreek
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post
If there is another lockout I may need to rethink my dedication to this sport. 2 in under 10 years is laughably ridiculous, inexcusable.
Bro just do what I did which is stop spending your money on the NHL or at least keep it to a BARE minimum.

CostaTheCrazyGreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 05:22 PM
Screw You Rick Nash
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 3000
All I know is that if there's a lockout and the season returns, I have 100% faith we will win the Cup. I'm not rooting for a lockout just so we can get a cheap Cup like the Devils, but whatever.

-.+++++++++++++.-------.--.+++++++++++++.+.>+.>.

New and improved Hockey Standings
"A jimmie for a jimmie makes the whole world rustled." -31-
Screw You Rick Nash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 05:41 PM
LordsCup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CostaTheCrazyGreek View Post
Bro just do what I did which is stop spending your money on the NHL or at least keep it to a BARE minimum.
Not sure what that will accomplish, but to each their own.

LordsCup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 10:44 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
A floor team likely would have interest, but the definition of the floor might change under the new labor agreement, where actual payroll would become the floor rather than potential cap dollars, including unreachable bonuses and off-roster buyouts.

Had those conditions been in place last year, anyone believe Nino Niederreiter would have spent the season wasting away uh, sorry; learning how to be a pro on the Island?
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...ALIXDqIjOWWKUK

Too many teams are reaching the floor without actually reaching the floor. The team needs to spend $48.3M in real dollars on the payroll. Using the current floor of $48.3M. They want more revenue sharing dollars. Spend it on the payroll to reach the floor.

Old
06-10-2012, 03:20 PM
LordsCup*

Quote:
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...ALIXDqIjOWWKUK

Too many teams are reaching the floor without actually reaching the floor. The team needs to spend $48.3M in real dollars on the payroll. Using the current floor of $48.3M. They want more revenue sharing dollars. Spend it on the payroll to reach the floor.
Isles could have signed some 4th line nobody to a 2M year to reach the floor instead of hurting Nino's development. That team is so poorly run its not even funny. Not that I care to be honest.

LordsCup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 04:32 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

The lockout could be a blessing in disguise for the Rangers.

With all the uncertainty surrounding the CBA, maybe it will encourage the Rangers not to make any silly trade or FA signing with longterm financial implications, and that includes Parise.

Perhaps more importantly, I think this team could benefit from a shortened regular season. No matter what happens, theyre gonna play with the same philosophy every game, which is pretty insane to sustain for 100+ games. 70 games keeps them fresh.

Take a punchers chance with this team next season - youre getting Gaborik back probably when the season will start. If they fail short again, you hope a name or two of a very, very good 2013 UFA class is out there in 13 months.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 04:46 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post
3 in 18 years is worse.

The Rangers have had their European trip canceled for next year. If the NHL sorts it out quickly we could be looking at a 15 game road trip to start the season.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 04:50 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Ridiculous.

I mean, the only word that can be used to describe it is pathetic.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 04:52 PM
DutchShamrock

If the players take 50-53%, what does the league give them in return?

They want to raise the age of free agency. They want a restriction on the 2nd NHL contract. The Alignment will be bargained with Olympics.

It's a Bettman negotiation, so whatever they give up to the PA will be a tremendous blunder... they'll lock the season out over that issue at the next CBA.

If the League comes at them with a rollback, their goal is a lockout.

The league has said after each lockout, "This is what we need to fix the sport. This will eliminate all of our problems, every team can now operate successfully and we can move forward." They are clueless and/or liars. I'm not shocked or jaded by that, it's just a reality. Losing $500m to $1b this season (divided by 30) will be worth it to them to lay out a blueprint for the future that ensures the owners make more money, give them a better starting point for the next lockout.

And get ready for the split quotes. You'll hear how the NBA and NFL get 50% or less, they players should be happy with that. Meanwhile that amount is split amongst 600 players, 30 owners split $1.7b 30 ways. Players will be labeled as greedy unless Fehr works the media better than his predecessors.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 07:19 PM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Plains Batman View Post
I remember Dubi who is the player rep saying how it needed to be modified how the playoff structure wasn't really fair.

It's a horrible and backwards idea and will really hurt certain teams like Carolina who will always have to go up against teams that can outspend them and have more resources.

The Rangers Division would be the hardest in hockey by far.
Even as pitiful as the Islanders have been over the past few years it already is.

06-10-2012, 08:14 PM
JeffMangum
Herrrooooiiinnnn

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
The lockout could be a blessing in disguise for the Rangers.

With all the uncertainty surrounding the CBA, maybe it will encourage the Rangers not to make any silly trade or FA signing with longterm financial implications, and that includes Parise.

Perhaps more importantly, I think this team could benefit from a shortened regular season. No matter what happens, theyre gonna play with the same philosophy every game, which is pretty insane to sustain for 100+ games. 70 games keeps them fresh.

Take a punchers chance with this team next season - youre getting Gaborik back probably when the season will start. If they fail short again, you hope a name or two of a very, very good 2013 UFA class is out there in 13 months.
I agree completely.

I'd be fine with a 1 month lockout. I could live with that. Anything more would be ridiculous, though.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 02:53 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Jim Cerny ‏@JimCerny
RT @michaelgrange: Fehr also made the point that there 'is nothing magic about sept.15' - season could open without new CBA in place #SNcba

NYRFAN218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 03:03 PM
JeffMangum
Herrrooooiiinnnn

vCash: 300
My birthday is Sept. 15th, so yes, it IS magical.

All kidding aside, is he saying that they could play w/o a CBA in place?

JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 03:09 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Plains Batman View Post
I see this as more of a 94-95 lockout than an 04-05 one. There's no way they miss two full seasons in a decade, if that actually happens, both Bettman and Fehr should be excommunicated from North America yet alone their NHL jobs.

Missing a full season while bad for the Rangers, Flyers, etc. would absolutely destroy Phoenix, Islanders, and kill any momentum the Jets created.

One huge problem is the realignment; it needs to be shot down. Glad the NHLPA rejected it. It's going to do horrible things to small market teams. How can the Canes compete long term being stuck in a Division/Conference/etc. with NYR, NJD, NYI, PHI, WAS, PIT? Jets, Columbus, etc. would face similar problems.

There will be major buyouts; Gomez, Luongo (if not traded), Redden, Bryzgalov, and even Ehrhoff will all be buyout victims.
I tighter cap and increased profit sharing.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 03:13 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Those are the first words out of Fehr's mouth. Its going to be a long summer. Bettman has no interest in playing without a new CBA. The NHL decided to inform the NHLPA that they want a new CBA. The PA was willing to play next season under the current CBA but the NHL had no interest in that. Why would they open camps and start the season without a new CBA in place? They won't.

Old
06-25-2012, 03:17 PM
Rangerfan4life90

Is it even possible to play under no CBA?

Rangerfan4life90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 03:24 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerfan4life90 View Post
Is it even possible to play under no CBA?
They play under the rules of the current CBA but the NHL informed the PA 120 days before September 15 that they want a new CBA. If they didn't inform in writing,the current CBA would have rolled over another year.

Fehr is the putting the onus on the league. They want a lockout. They want a new CBA. Blame them.