HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Toughness Debate Thread: Laraque making a come back?

Old
06-10-2012, 06:31 PM
coolasprICE

vCash: 500
B + to A -

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 06:41 PM
Subnordi

I've got mixed emotions about this, I mean, having guys like White, Staubitz, and Blunden who are tough and willing to drop the gloves is great, but they're no heavyweights. If we could get Laraque to beat the senses out of someone off the opening faceoff to send a message would work wonders for the team, but if we sign him, I'd want him to send a fax to the rest of the league's heavyweights simply stating "watch out"

Subnordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 07:02 PM
Dagistitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subnordi View Post
I've got mixed emotions about this, I mean, having guys like White, Staubitz, and Blunden who are tough and willing to drop the gloves is great, but they're no heavyweights. If we could get Laraque to beat the senses out of someone off the opening faceoff to send a message would work wonders for the team, but if we sign him, I'd want him to send a fax to the rest of the league's heavyweights simply stating "watch out"

I like Blunden, but ..

I like White too, but he shouldn't be fighting out of his weight class like he does or he is going to get pounded. (Erik Gudbranson could have destroyed him but went easy on him)

Laraque at 1 year league minimum, says he is willing to play little minutes and be a veteran role player, motivated to prove he can still play and is now 100% healthy.. I'd do it. If he is absolutely terrible just scratch him and play him against the tougher teams. You know he would have beat the **** out of Malone the game after he jumped Emelin.

Dagistitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 07:12 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Blunden is overrated, Staubitz is a good fighter, but he doesn't bring anything else. White is an agitator who can play, we can give him Moen who is a defensive forward with grit, but we need to complete that 4th line with an intimidating force who can play.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 07:12 PM
Aurel Joliat

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrowe21 View Post
I like Blunden, but ..

I like White too, but he shouldn't be fighting out of his weight class like he does or he is going to get pounded. (Erik Gudbranson could have destroyed him but went easy on him)

Laraque at 1 year league minimum, says he is willing to play little minutes and be a veteran role player, motivated to prove he can still play and is now 100% healthy.. I'd do it. If he is absolutely terrible just scratch him and play him against the tougher teams. You know he would have beat the **** out of Malone the game after he jumped Emelin.
100 % agree with you on everything

Blunden willing to fight ? hahahahaha

Aurel Joliat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 07:36 PM
Killerguitar101*

Send a message via AIM to Killerguitar101*
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverAlone View Post
Blunden is overrated, Staubitz is a good fighter, but he doesn't bring anything else. White is an agitator who can play, we can give him Moen who is a defensive forward with grit, but we need to complete that 4th line with an intimidating force who can play.
Staubitz isn't that much of a good fighter. I mean he is a solid middleweight but that's it. Travis Moen could fight him and handle his own. Staubitz is nothing intimidating.

If you want an intimidating force on the 4th line, sign Carkner and play him on the 4th line. Sign Parros. Sign an enforcer. That's it.

Killerguitar101* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 07:49 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
He was actually one of the Habs more effective forwards that playoff series and had Chara listening for his footsteps.
LOL. Wow.

He was terrible, as he always was. And since when does being good in a sweep something to be proud of?

As for the people saying he put Lucic in check, well Lucic scored that game and the Habs lost. All Milan had to do was say "no thanks, scrub", which is exactly what he did.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 07:55 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnforcerWeNeed View Post
Goons do not exist. Goons are them who don't know how to skate or don't know how to play at all. Goons are playing in the LNAH, sometimes in leagues like the SPHL, ECHL or the new IHL.

The job of enforcing isn't useless until you are a fan of the Canadiens. I don't know why, but the Canadiens fans are pretty much the only ones who whine about enforcers. You would never, never, never see that kind of sissiness on Bruins or Flyers forum. Never.

And our players keep on geating beaten up eh. But nope, we don't need tough guys. They score 3 goals a year! It's so much less than Palushaj's 1 goal, and Blunden's two goals!

What happened with this fan base? Where is the pride in this fanbase? You really want to keep on relying on diving to draw penalty calls as being your "enforcer"? Even worst, the f***ing 911?

Where's the honesty in this process? Where's the pride?

I hope Thornton, Lucic and Chara continue to punk our small players.
Surprised you like the habs at all. Seem to be way different than your vision of hockey.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 07:59 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
LOL. Wow.

He was terrible, as he always was. And since when does being good in a sweep something to be proud of?

As for the people saying he put Lucic in check, well Lucic scored that game and the Habs lost. All Milan had to do was say "no thanks, scrub", which is exactly what he did.
It was funny to see Lucic chicken out then say "julien told me no" but at same time we lost the game. That's what sports is about no? U wanna win.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 08:05 PM
FF de Mars

Laraque is so out of shape.

FF de Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 08:35 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnforcerWeNeed View Post
Useless? Since when are 4th line enforcers "useless"?
When they don't fight, hit, or.... do anything? Laraque was the very epitome of "useless" for us.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 08:37 PM
shutehinside

The idea of Laraque is MUCH more appealing than the man. It would be great to have a legit enforcer who can play but he's not that guy and hasn't been for years. What's to say he'd turn it around now rather than play like he did when he was here, his bs "code" while other teams took liberties with our players. Good luck to him but if we do get an enforcer, I hope we get a real player who's a real fighter.

shutehinside is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 08:37 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

I would say the job of goons is dying because the bottom line is they don't help teams win hockey games. If they ever did in the past, they don't anymore. There is just no benefit that they provide, other than entertainment value for the fans.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 08:39 PM
nhlfan9191

Usually players come back when they left the game on a high note. This is like Vesa Toskala coming out and saying "I want back."

nhlfan9191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 09:04 PM
nyhabsfan
Waiting for #25.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORiculous View Post
If he wants a 2way deal then there is nothing to lose.
yea there is; you're only allowed 50 contracts and taking one for a complete "BUM" when he was in Montreal is a pretty big deal.

We now have some more eyes besides Timmins looking at players and maybe a pro level scouting department that will actually HELP this team rather than HURT it, so EVERY ONE of those 50 contract are important.

nyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 09:06 PM
Aurel Joliat

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Surprised you like the habs at all. Seem to be way different than your vision of hockey.
Habs always had goons, except in the Martin-Gauthier era. Carbonneau had Laraque (even if he did not like him), Julien had Langdon, Therrien had Odjick and we can continue the list

With the new management we're gonna be much tougher

Old
06-10-2012, 09:09 PM
Aurel Joliat

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyhabsfan View Post
yea there is; you're only allowed 50 contracts and taking one for a complete "BUM" when he was in Montreal is a pretty big deal.

We now have some more eyes besides Timmins looking at players and maybe a pro level scouting department that will actually HELP this team rather than HURT it, so EVERY ONE of those 50 contract are important.
Yes and no. 50 is a lot. Look at all the ****** players we have on this list right now. Laraque could be a lot more useful than few of them

Old
06-10-2012, 09:10 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurel Joliat View Post
Yes and no. 50 is a lot. Look at all the ****** players we have on this list right now. Laraque could be a lot more useful than few of them
Or we could be smart about it and use those extra slots on undrafted kids like Desharnais?

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 09:17 PM
Alexdaman

vCash: 50
If he wants to fulfill his dream of winning a race against a zamboni why not, make it a one time event of an intermission during a saturday game... 5$ on the zamboni

Alexdaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 09:21 PM
vokiel
I hate blind passes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexdaman View Post
If he wants to fulfill his dream of winning a race against a zamboni why not, make it a one time event of an intermission during a saturday game... 5$ on the zamboni

I think George doesn't realize that:

#1 Removal of the red line
#2 Removal of hooking
#3 Faster players through development

Have made his skills obsolete.

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 09:23 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
LOL. Wow.

So what's your point? It was a sweep, Habs sucked that series, and BGL was one our best forwards in that series and one of the only ones whose presence was felt. Habs actually played Bruins well in Game 1 (Bruins looked nervous) but once they pulled it off in the 3rd period, Habs were done. Laraque played very well in Game 1 (the only time we were ever in that series). You said it was a joke that he played with Koivu and Kovalev. He didn't suck any worse than any of our other forwards including that quitter Tanguay who wouldn't play with his boo-boo on his shoulder (even though his coach once played with TWO separated shoulders). Plekanec was a healthy scratch one game because he was playing like he was protecting a carton of eggs (and he later admitted he played like a .....).

I think BGL is terrible too and don't want the headcase back but he was one of our more effective forwards that series on a roster that completely caved (both on and off the ice) under the centennial season hype so I don't know how the coach can be criticized for playing one of the few who showed up.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 09:28 PM
Galchenyuk27
C'est le buuuuuuuuut

Send a message via AIM to Galchenyuk27
Some of the replies these goon-related threads in our forum get really make me scratch my head.

Seems like a lot of people are content with our team being a bunch of whimps who get pushed around easily.

Galchenyuk27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 10:23 PM
Galchenyuk94

Give him an invite to training camp, see what shape he's in and how his skating has gotten. Maybe figure skating helped the guys stride.

But I want no more of this code BS. Drop the gloves and wail on the guy.

Galchenyuk94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 10:24 PM
Killerguitar101*

Send a message via AIM to Killerguitar101*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
When they don't fight, hit, or.... do anything? Laraque was the very epitome of "useless" for us.
Georges Laraque has had 14 fights in 62 games or so.

7-2-2 record (1 unfair fight that wasn't rated)

2008-2009
DRAW VS Shawn Thornton (oct 15)
WIN VS Todd Fedoruk (oct 18)
LOSS VS Mitch Fritz (nov 1)
WIN VS Josh Gratton (nov 15)
WIN VS Andrew Peters (dec 20)
WIN VS Brad May (feb 2)
DRAW VS Eric Godard (feb 19)
WIN (TKO) VS Jody Shelley (feb 28)
WIN VS Joel Rechlicz (apr 2)
UNFAIR VS Jay Harisson (apr 4) -> Unfair because Kubina jumped Laraque during the fight)

2009-2010
DRAW VS Colton Orr (oct 1)
LOSS VS John Erskine (nov 20)
WIN VS Riley Cote (dec 7)
DRAW VS Eric Boulton (dec 12)

In Montreal, he outpunched his opponents 55-26

Only thing I hated about him, he didn't enforce enough. Instead of just goading Milan Lucic, he should've punched him in the face, oblige him to drop the gloves and back off, start a line brawl, do whatever you want, but enforce, for ***k's sake!

Killerguitar101* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 10:34 PM
Travis Moen

I think we should sign him just to make this joke of an organization complete.

Travis Moen is offline   Reply With Quote