HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Crosby Signing a 10-Year Deal Worth $90 Million?

Old
06-10-2012, 05:43 PM
rockinghockey

vCash: 500
I agree with what people are saying about if he signs for 9mil and Malkin signs for 9 mil there will be plenty of money for Staal. But if they decide to trade Staal with the additions they get for him plus sign Parise this team would be scary for the next 5 years.
Parise, Crosby, Kunitz
Neal, Malkin, Dupuis
Very nice top 6

rockinghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 06:02 PM
MeowLeafs
LM is awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicolasH View Post
Roll on paper.

That season, Peter Forsberg played 39 games, Paul Kariya played 51 games and Selanne played mostly on the third line...
Indeed. But to see those 6 forwards on a single team...daaaaammmnnnn

MeowLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 06:07 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

vCash: 50
Just because there is money for staal... Doesnt mean he wants to stay in pittsburgh.
Maybe he wants to be a #1or #2 c on another team

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 06:34 PM
Reality Check

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Other Flame View Post
They said he could get 14M if there was no cap but if he also wanted to win, then he should sign for somewhere around 9M.
But I'd find it hard to believe someone would give him 14M and a 10-year deal

With his injury history and the length of that rumored contract, even 9M isn't that much of a steal.

Reality Check is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 07:08 PM
YuioIklo

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Leaf View Post

Would you take a big decrease in pay at work? Doesn't matter if they earn a lot, money is money.

They have a limited time to play. One injury and it's all over. They want to have some security cause once you are injured no one cares about you. It doesn't matter if you were a star or a dud. It's all one and the same.

I don't blame players for trying to rake in money.
I would, if it helped us to win something important, and if I could afford it. Calling millions "security" is absurd and sad, honestly. Money is money, money is fun and useful, but money isn't the only thing in the world. Hockey isn't about money.

YuioIklo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 07:13 PM
BloFan4Life

lol at the people thinking Parise is going to sign with Pitt. From captain to 3rd option is not happening.

BloFan4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 07:14 PM
Sh00terMcGavin
Snake? Snaaaaaaake!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuioIklo View Post
I would, if it helped us to win something important, and if I could afford it. Calling millions "security" is absurd and sad, honestly. Money is money, money is fun and useful, but money isn't the only thing in the world. Hockey isn't about money.
Yes it is. I know it's a sad reality, but it's just another job. I'm sure 99% of the players in the NHL are extremely grateful to have this opportunity, but it's still just another job when you think about it.

Sh00terMcGavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 07:15 PM
YuioIklo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
See: 03-04 Avalanche

Tanguay - Forsberg - Hejduk
Kariya - Sakic - Selanne

Doesn't always work out the way you may think.
You obviously have to find players who fit together, it was more about not having to focus on the cap. I'm not saying the All Star teams are good, nor every Olympic team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PensBeerGeek View Post
If your entire roster signed $1M per year contracts, you'd be well under the floor.
I know, 1M was just an example. The point was more : 1M/year is a crazy salary, even thought it is really low in the NHL.

Old
06-10-2012, 07:17 PM
MeowLeafs
LM is awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuioIklo View Post
The majority of hockey players will flock to the best deal. Although I would say Crosby probably isn't a part of that majority

MeowLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 07:17 PM
YuioIklo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh00terMcGavin View Post
Yes it is. I know it's a sad reality, but it's just another job. I'm sure 99% of the players in the NHL are extremely grateful to have this opportunity, but it's still just another job when you think about it.
Having a job is all about money?

Old
06-10-2012, 08:29 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
How does this mean Staal is leaving?
You must not have been around when the HF board truism was that there was no way that the Pens could keep Malkin and Crosby, and if they did they would be too top heavy to even make the playoffs let alone win a cup. There must have been close to 100 threads on that subject prior to both signing their last deal with the Pens. Oh yeah, and the Pens winning the cup. If you were around then you would not ask the question of why that assumption that Staal has to leave if we give Crosby a $300,000 raise is all the rage here now.

Jaded-Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 08:40 PM
M A K A V E L I*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeowLeafs View Post
The majority of hockey players will flock to the best deal. Although I would say Crosby probably isn't a part of that majority
He might not be, but a 37% discount doesn't seem like something anyone would do. $5M is lost potential per year is a big deal even more millionaires.

They'll probably settle midway at around 11.5. If not, there will be other teams lining up to give him $14M.

M A K A V E L I* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 08:41 PM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Spankie View Post
If he gets a serious injury at the beginning of the season, his cap hit will go on the LTIR but who is Pittsburgh going to sign? It's not like there's any decent UFAs available in October.
How does this change if he signs a 2 year contract or a 10 year contract?

Quote:
Also, if he takes another serious concussion next season and misses a season, coming back two seasons later, is he going to be worth the contract? Patrice Bergeron went from being a 70 point player to getting ~40 points in his first full season back. Yes, Bergeron has progressed nicely over the years but concussions aren't a predictable thing, not all players recover the same. What if Crosby gets a $90 million contract for 10 years, and 3 years from now will be taking up a $9 million cap hit for another 7 years after a concussion and can't put up more than 50 points in a season?
Even if he signs a 2 year contract, then gets concussed just before he's up for a new deal, you can bet he'll still get offers for $9m when he returns.

Either way, Pittsburgh wants Crosby until he's old enough to retire. All other concerns are secondary-- and rightfully so.

hockeyfreak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 08:43 PM
ThisYearsModel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylonus View Post
He can get 14 million, but takes a 5 million dollar pay cut (For you math geeks, that's a 37% discount) to stay here and help the team win.

I thought he wasn't a good leader?
Q: Who has volunteered to give him the $14MM?
A: Nobody. 9 is about the max he would get from anyone.

ThisYearsModel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 08:45 PM
GetThePuckOut

vCash: 1081
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisYearsModel View Post
That's absurd. Lots of teams would offer him 12 at least. Maybe every team.

GetThePuckOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 08:55 PM
Lebowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisYearsModel View Post
Really? Most team would try to find the money.

If he'd hit the market, I sure wish Bergevin would go all out on him.

Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 08:56 PM
Jaded-Fan

People are acting like playing a sport is comparable to joining a law or CPA firm, or becoming a school teacher or fireman or whatever. Although caring about where you work, the organization you work for, and who you work with apply in those cases as well. But the world is not going to know your name for a case you won, saving some taxes for a company, or even if you were teacher of the year. They certainly will not be talking about what you did 100 years from now. Crosby's decision is much different than just a job, he cares about money I am sure, but sports players, especially the best, care about their legacy as well in a lot of cases. I am absolutely certain Crosby is one of those and if giving up some money, if he thought it would give his team a better chance to win more cups, is something I am certain he would do. He has said as much before.

I also do not get how people talk like this would be some unique thing if Crosby did it. There are myriad examples of players in all sports, hockey especially, who took less than they could have gotten on the open market. A number on the Pens did so in fact.

Old
06-10-2012, 08:56 PM
BloFan4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBlazer View Post
That's absurd. Lots of teams would offer him 12 at least. Maybe every team.
I don't think there will be many teams that will exceed 90 million and that is all that matters. The 9 million dollar cap hit is pretty high considering that will be it when he is 35 years old too 17 years in the league. I am sure the contract would be front loaded and make around 14 million in the first year.

BloFan4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 09:08 PM
GetThePuckOut

vCash: 1081
I think many teams would sign Crosby to a 7 year deal worth $90 million.

GetThePuckOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 09:28 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBlazer View Post
I think many teams would sign Crosby to a 7 year deal worth $90 million.
In a heartbeat.

2006-7, the first year of the cap, the cap was $39 million. That is 55.7% of the current reported $70 million cap. And that is only six years. Meaning that the cap has averaged going up 7.4% per year.

If Crosby makes $87 million for the next ten years after his current contract expires next year, by the end of the deal that $8.7 million per year would only be the equivilent of $1.62 million per year in current cap hit, as the cap if it goes up as it has been will have gone up 81.4% by then. He will be 36 then so hardly over the hill. It also should cover his prime years which should be the next six, until age 30, during which time he will become more affordable yearly. Maybe the same 7.4% per year that has been the case so far since the CBA was signed. If so by age 30 he would only be taking $5.48 million per year of comparable cap hit this year.

Last edited by Jaded-Fan: 06-10-2012 at 10:12 PM. Reason: Edited as the cap was $39 million in 2006, not $44 million
Old
06-10-2012, 09:45 PM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Get it done Shero, give him what he wants!

Le Magnifique 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 11:04 PM
Ragamuffin Gunner
Lost in The Flood

Quote:
Originally Posted by M A K A V E L I View Post
He might not be, but a 37% discount doesn't seem like something anyone would do. $5M is lost potential per year is a big deal even more millionaires.

They'll probably settle midway at around 11.5. If not, there will be other teams lining up to give him $14M.
TBH, this sounds like the post of a guy who's hoping that Sid will sign a huge contract that will ruin the Pens.

Corsby will have made over 50 million dollars in salary when his contract expires. Crosby, also, is the highest endorsed player in NHL history paying him over 2.1 million dollars a year and totaling 11.2 million for his career in January 2011.

So you're telling me a guy who's already made over 63 million dollars by the age of 24 is going to demand around 11.5M a year, knowing full well that it will ruin the Pens? That sounds about right. This is HF isn't it?

http://www.businessinsider.com/chart...h-sport-2011-1
http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...L-history.html

Ragamuffin Gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 11:10 PM
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragamuffin Gunner View Post
TBH, this sounds like the post of a guy who's hoping that Sid will sign a huge contract that will ruin the Pens.

Corsby will have made over 50 million dollars in salary when his contract expires. Crosby, also, is the highest endorsed player in NHL history paying him over 2.1 million dollars a year and totaling 11.2 million for his career in January 2011.

So you're telling me a guy who's already made over 63 million dollars by the age of 24 is going to demand around 11.5M a year, knowing full well that it will ruin the Pens? That sounds about right. This is HF isn't it?

http://www.businessinsider.com/chart...h-sport-2011-1
http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...L-history.html
So what if he has endorsements? He'll still be missing out on quite a few millions. I don't think Crosby is the milk-everything-for-its-worth kind of guy, but he's not oblivious to reality either. Plus, he has an agent and an union likely telling him to demand upwards of $10M per season.

VinnyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 11:13 PM
ZetterBurger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctrSteveBrule View Post
You act like there is no money for him out there if this happens. There are other well paying jobs in the hockey world.
None of them pay $9 mill per.

ZetterBurger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 07:39 AM
Frankie Spankie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Arcade View Post
Bergeron scored 39 his first full season back. Crosby scored 37 points in 22 games last year.
That wasn't my point, my point was he could suffer an even more severe concussion. Every hit to the head leaves less in the tank and makes you more vulnerable for the next hit. He seems fine now, but who's to say how he will recover from another concussion if he gets one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post
How does this change if he signs a 2 year contract or a 10 year contract?

Even if he signs a 2 year contract, then gets concussed just before he's up for a new deal, you can bet he'll still get offers for $9m when he returns.

Either way, Pittsburgh wants Crosby until he's old enough to retire. All other concerns are secondary-- and rightfully so.
I'm not arguing the price of the contract, it would be a great value to get one of the top players in the league for ~2/3 of the league maximum, I'm just arguing the length for a guy who is still coming off concussion issues. Maybe if he was playing for 3 years since his last concussion, I would be more comfortable with giving a player like him a long contract but a player who only played ~20 games last season because he was recovering from a concussion is risky. Besides, if this story is true, it's obvious he wants to stay in Pittsburgh so it shouldn't be an issue resigning him when a short contract goes up.

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote