HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers interested in Justin Schultz as a free agent

Closed Thread

Old
06-10-2012, 10:26 AM
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabroni1994 View Post
How would you rank the three players, Perry, Getzlaf and Ryan?
1 Ryan
2 Getzlaf
3 Perry

Old
06-10-2012, 10:37 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
In explaining his decision, Wheeler noted the opportunity, as a 21-year-old, to choose his preferred NHL team. Wheeler never said so publicly, but the Coyotes’ financial situation most likely played a part in his decision.

In Wheeler’s case, the Coyotes allowed him to walk. Upon the conclusion of the 30-day window, the Bruins won the bidding, signing Wheeler to a two-year contract on July 1, 2008, the first day he could agree to a contract.

While Wheeler was unrestricted in the sense of being able to sign with any team, he remained under the boundaries of the entry-level system. He signed a two-year contract with an $875,000 annual base salary.

Like Wheeler four years ago, Schultz has most of the league interested in his services. The two-way, right-shot defenseman, who will turn 22 July 6, had 16 goals and 28 assists for coach Mike Eaves’s Wisconsin club in 2011-12. He led all collegiate defensemen in scoring.
http://bostonglobe.com/sports/2012/0...2zJ/story.html

Wheeler did receive significant bonus money. He got $3.9M in performance bonuses.

Old
06-10-2012, 10:56 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabroni1994 View Post
A "no sliding" rule would be completely moronic.

Who proposed this?
Not sure who proposed it...but apparently there was some conversation about it among GMs.

Old
06-10-2012, 11:05 AM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
I understand that adding Schultz adds morw depth and offense, but I don't understand why adding a RD makes the Rangers more likely to deal a LD.
Especially when they need a LD and RD on the PP or two PMD who can rush the puck up the ice on different sides and on different shifts. It's a different look every time and teams need to adjust to that fluid and ever changing offense. i.e. Leetch and Zubov.

Old
06-10-2012, 12:59 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

The individual B bonuses are based on league award/trophies. $2M MAX.

Teams are allowed to negotiate how much money the player will receive for each award. Toews got a $1.3M bonus for winning the Conn Smythe in 2010.

The league has set the limits for the Calder trophy. You can't give the player more.

Winner-$212,500
2-$150,000
3-$100,000

There is no limit on how much a player can receive for finishing in the top 5 for the Norris.

The All Rookie team is a A bonuses. A player can receive $212,500 for making that team.

Old
06-10-2012, 04:54 PM
azrok22

vCash: 50
Ducks panel with pertinent quotes about Schultz, and the alleged tampering more specifically.

Quote:
Bob Murray: "Justin Schultz will not be an Anaheim Duck, He's informed us that he wishes to explore talks with the 29 other clubs, and that's his right under the current CBA. I cannot comment on the tampering charges at this time but if situations change I will let all of you know."

Ryan Getzlaf: "I've never seen him play or anything but I hear he's pretty good. He better be really good because a lot of players, not just on this team, don't like the way he's handling this situation. We want guys who want to be here and be a part of our team. No one wants to deal with that sh... uh stuff in the locker room." He corrected himself as my 6 year old son approached. Good dad! He also said he's more disappointed that the organization lost a draft pick rather than losing Schultz.

Bruce Boudreau: "I don't know what the heck happened there. We were in Chicago and we still weren't playing great and I talked to the kid straight up and said we could use you right now on the big club. We won't send you to the Crunch, as soon as you're through with Wisconsin we'll get you down there on the ice. The kid looked me right in the eye and said I can't wait coach, it's what I've always wanted. We also told him since we were playing him now it would move him one year closer to making millions of dollars. The kid seemed really excited and it seemed like a done deal when all of a sudden something dramatically changed. Someone got to the kid, it seems. I don't know exactly what happened but there's something fishy in Denmark." (sic)
http://www.anaheimcalling.com/2012/6...etzlaf-selanne

The way Boudreau's quote is worded makes me think that the tampering allegations is really just a fishing expedition. They can't believe a prospect would rebuke the Ducks' advances and want to pick his team, and the only explanation is a conspiracy.

Old
06-10-2012, 04:57 PM
broadwayblue

I'll be curious to hear why the kid won't play in Anaheim.

Old
06-10-2012, 04:59 PM
azrok22

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
I'll be curious to hear why the kid won't play in Anaheim.
I don't think there is some grand explanation--it's simply because the CBA permits him to play wherever he thinks will be the best fit, imo.

Old
06-10-2012, 05:08 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Of course Boudreau misquotes Shakespeare by adding food to the line.

RANGERS =
Old
06-10-2012, 05:43 PM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
Ducks panel with pertinent quotes about Schultz, and the alleged tampering more specifically.

http://www.anaheimcalling.com/2012/6...etzlaf-selanne

The way Boudreau's quote is worded makes me think that the tampering allegations is really just a fishing expedition. They can't believe a prospect would rebuke the Ducks' advances and want to pick his team, and the only explanation is a conspiracy.
Or the kid felt cornered when Boudreau said that to him because he already made up his mind that he was going to shop himself around to the rest of the league and said whatever Boudreau wanted to hear instead of starting a confrontation.

Old
06-10-2012, 06:48 PM
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

the more clips I watch of Schultz, the more I want him

Old
06-10-2012, 06:59 PM
BigDaddyNYR
Calgary Flames GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregSirico View Post
the more clips I watch of Schultz, the more I want him
Its next to unbelievable how good he looks on tape.

I don't like calling anyone a 'mortal lock' but man is this guy close to one.

Old
06-10-2012, 07:01 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Eh. Starting to back off. Don't think he's coming here...

Old
06-10-2012, 07:04 PM
BigDaddyNYR
Calgary Flames GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
Eh. Starting to back off. Don't think he's coming here...
Yeah my gut is telling me he unfortunately wont be coming here which would stink.

But my heart is telling me he will.

I say he lands in Toronto.

Old
06-10-2012, 07:14 PM
Pugs35

Permitted under the CBA or not, that's a pretty crappy thing to do to a pretty good organization in Anaheim.

If he comes here I'll root for him and be thrilled, but this is worse than the Erixon situation since Anaheim will end up with nothing at all.

Old
06-10-2012, 07:34 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Maybe he just got spooked thinking Boudrea was going to eat him?

Old
06-10-2012, 07:43 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

70-30 Toronto...

Old
06-10-2012, 08:50 PM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
70-30 Toronto...
Who's the 30% that you think? lol

Old
06-10-2012, 08:53 PM
CM PUNK

looks like schultz deleted his twitter...probably being attacked by ducks fans

Old
06-11-2012, 12:32 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

It's 1,000 posts, so I created another thread. Also added a poll.

Old
06-11-2012, 06:07 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

I noticed I was following one less person on twitter until I saw Schultz deleted his account. I tweeted him some Rangers and Ryan McDonagh articles/comments. Only positive stuff. Just these.

Quote:
“If there’s something on the coaches’ minds, I want to know about it,” McDonagh said. “I can handle it, and so can every player on our team. The way our coaches don’t let anything slide, I think it’s one of the biggest reasons why you’re seeing so many players develop and why we’ve won our share of games this season.”
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/30/sp...-nytimessports

Quote:
Q: Sum up what it’s like being a New York Ranger.

A: It’s an unbelievable experience, but I think it’s a unique experience just with the whole city and the way that you travel ... getting to and from the Garden is an experience in itself every day. The way they treat you here — coaching staff and the owners, the way they have meals ready for you, and all the staff at the Garden here, they make coming to the rink and everything so much more enjoyable. ... It’s a place that at this stage of my career I know I never want to leave.
Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...#ixzz1xTwYhvgx

Old
06-11-2012, 06:18 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

These Leafs fans probably annoyed Schultz so much that he had to delete his account.

Old
06-11-2012, 06:24 AM
JeffMangum
A Love Supreme

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
These Leafs fans probably annoyed Schultz so much that he had to delete his account.
Wouldn't surprise me. Adding in the vitriol from Anaheim fans, I don't blame him.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
Old
06-11-2012, 07:10 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Quote:
Should the Rangers sign impending Wisconsin free-agent defenseman Justin Schultz (and no one is suggesting they are front-runners, much less a lock), that’s the day Michael Del Zotto eminently would become more of a trade chip.
Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...#ixzz1xNux7H9q
I've not seen Schultz play, but from a outsiders perspective it will be interesting to see how this play out.

There are of course alot of YT's of a kid like this, and you can see that he is decently skilled and his number is great even for a 21 y/o in college (he is the same age as Del Zotto). More importantly, playing D isn't only about raw ability but also alot more about just getting the job done and being able to work under pressure.

With that said, this kid is definitely not super talented. He is definitely behind a Marek Zidlicky at the same age. Not to mention guys like Erik Karlsson or Ryan Murphy and co. Or Rundblad in PHX.

He would definitely be a great pickup and it would be awsome if he signed here for free. They seem to be doing the right things there in Wisconsin for suer. But the talk about how we will look at Weber if we don't get Schultz or how getting Schultz enables us trading Del Zotto is somewhat freightning. Like, if we got a option to get Weber getting this kid or not shouldn't matter much, neither should it when it comes to trading Del Zotto. Sure, it could have that result 12 month from now if he proves that he can get the job done, but we have not seen that yet.

Closed Thread