HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Revenue Sharing

Closed Thread

Old
04-03-2006, 08:04 AM
Habs514

vCash: 500
Revenue Sharing

Hi guys,

The Montreal Canadiens have never been so popular. The Habs play in the largest rink in the league, and they're sold out for the entire season -- that's a record of more than 872,000 tickets sold. Team will have to share its financial windfall
That's a first, since the team moved from the Forum to the larger Bell Centre.
Because of revenue sharing, the Habs must now turn over about $6-million U.S. to other teams in the league.

This is from cfcf website. That sucks. There goes money for a good player. I wonder how much money they actualy made.

Old
04-03-2006, 08:32 AM
RC51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs514
Hi guys,

The Montreal Canadiens have never been so popular. The Habs play in the largest rink in the league, and they're sold out for the entire season -- that's a record of more than 872,000 tickets sold. Team will have to share its financial windfall
That's a first, since the team moved from the Forum to the larger Bell Centre.
Because of revenue sharing, the Habs must now turn over about $6-million U.S. to other teams in the league.

This is from cfcf website. That sucks. There goes money for a good player. I wonder how much money they actualy made.

I don't think this money counts against the CAP

Old
04-03-2006, 08:36 AM
AH

The Habs have been a top 10 revenue team for a long time (I think they are 8th now). They have been turning money over to the welfare bums in Ottawa, Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver as part of the Canadian equalization program for the lower rev Canadian teams for many many years.

That's why I hate every other Canadian team almost as much as the Leafs. The team takes our team's money and their fans talk ***** back at us. If it weren't for the generosity of the Maple Leafs and Habs, those teams would be in the US now.

Old
04-03-2006, 09:22 AM
jcpenny

What hurts the most is that stupid tax they pay for the Bell center every year.

Old
04-03-2006, 10:03 AM
polarslam

I have no issue with revenue sharing at all. Revenue Sharing is the reason why the NFL is the best sports leauge in the world, and if the NHL wants to develop into anything more than a fringe sport in the vast majority of North America it will have to ensure that creates an econmic system that allows every francise to have a decent chance to compete. Allthough I would rather see revenue sharing between small market teams in hockey cities like Quebec, Winnipeg, Hamilton, Hartford, rather than bad markets like Nashville and Carolina.

Old
04-03-2006, 10:36 AM
SuperUnknown

I think because of how the CBA works and the few teams that are eligible for revenue sharing, Montreal will receive part of that money back.

Old
04-03-2006, 11:26 AM
StanAjax

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpenny
What hurts the most is that stupid tax they pay for the Bell center every year.

This is our main problem. It shouldn't be about revenue sharing, more about profit sharing... Otherwise, we'll share the money and end up poorer than others because of the enormous Bell Centre tax...

Old
04-03-2006, 11:50 AM
AD

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanAjax
This is our main problem. It shouldn't be about revenue sharing, more about profit sharing... Otherwise, we'll share the money and end up poorer than others because of the enormous Bell Centre tax...
What do you guys care if George Gillette makes an extra 3 million here or a 5 million there.

Just as long as the management is willing to spend on or around the cap, what do we care if the Big Corporate owners make an extra buck

As a montrealer, I'm happy that George Gillette gives my city 9 million dollars a year in taxes, better that, than keeping it for his pockets in Colorado right?

And furthermore, the taxes he pays here, he writes-off so he has to pay less somewhere else. Its not like he's losing money!!

Old
04-03-2006, 12:01 PM
StanAjax

Quote:
Originally Posted by aymand
As a montrealer, I'm happy that George Gillette gives my city 9 million dollars a year in taxes, better that, than keeping it for his pockets in Colorado right?

Yeah, of course. But remember that we were not a top spending team without the cap. And with the cap raising, we'll soon match our pre-lockout payroll...

So, I'm not sure we''ll be able to compete with Leafs, Flyers, Wings... for long.

And my point was just : take into account this Hab specific tax in your revenue sharing program.

Old
04-03-2006, 12:23 PM
AD

Quote:
And my point was just : take into account this Hab specific tax in your revenue sharing program.
Yeah, I see your point about revenue sharing. You're right, maybe it should be *Profit Sharing*

Here's hoping Gillette feels generous..

Old
04-03-2006, 12:32 PM
LeHab

Quote:
Yeah, of course. But remember that we were not a top spending team without the cap. And with the cap raising, we'll soon match our pre-lockout payroll...

So, I'm not sure we''ll be able to compete with Leafs, Flyers, Wings... for long.

Don't forget the dollar strength. Back in the days we had to shell 70 millions CDN to get a 43.4 millions US payroll (0.62). Today at 0.85 with the same 70 millions CDN we can get a payroll of about 59.5 millions US.

Old
04-03-2006, 03:49 PM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
Interesting , at least we actually made money this year !

Old
04-03-2006, 03:50 PM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by aymand
Yeah, I see your point about revenue sharing. You're right, maybe it should be *Profit Sharing*

Here's hoping Gillette feels generous..
It is profit sharing

Old
04-03-2006, 03:59 PM
AD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozeph_Balej
It is profit sharing
YAY

Old
04-03-2006, 04:52 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

If we believe what the upper management is saying to us (and that is another debate), above 40M in payroll, they start losing money (because of that darn tax). Now you can't blame Gilett for not wanting to lose money, therefore, if the cap goes up well over that number, our own cap might not follow and stall at 40ish millions. That's why that excessive tax amount has to be taken care of.

Old
04-03-2006, 05:14 PM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via MSN to Dan K
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51
I don't think this money counts against the CAP
It obviously doesn't, that's not the point. We're not the New York Rangers with bottomless wallets.

Less money in George's bank account = Less money for us to spend. Whether or not this amount makes a difference in the grand scheme of things is to be seen.

Old
04-03-2006, 05:17 PM
Beatnik

Send a message via MSN to Beatnik
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakuuuuu
It obviously doesn't, that's not the point. We're not the New York Rangers with bottomless wallets.

Less money in George's bank account = Less money for us to spend. Whether or not this amount makes a difference in the grand scheme of things is to be seen.

With such great revenues and a salary cap, The Habs have more than enough money to spend the cap limit.

Old
04-03-2006, 05:19 PM
sXe
Yuuuuuup!

Playoff money is where it's at. Get past the 1st round and everyone will be happy.

Old
04-03-2006, 05:24 PM
Beatnik

Send a message via MSN to Beatnik
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchausen
If we believe what the upper management is saying to us (and that is another debate), above 40M in payroll, they start losing money (because of that darn tax). Now you can't blame Gilett for not wanting to lose money, therefore, if the cap goes up well over that number, our own cap might not follow and stall at 40ish millions. That's why that excessive tax amount has to be taken care of.

they cap is at 54% of the revenus.

At a 40 million cap, an "average team" have an extra 34 Millions for the coach, travel, taxes etc. It's more than enough. A very rich team like the Habs have much more than that so I think they can pay their taxes and spend the cap.

Closed Thread