HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Revenue Sharing

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-03-2006, 08:04 AM
  #1
Habs514
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,929
vCash: 500
Revenue Sharing

Hi guys,

The Montreal Canadiens have never been so popular. The Habs play in the largest rink in the league, and they're sold out for the entire season -- that's a record of more than 872,000 tickets sold. Team will have to share its financial windfall
That's a first, since the team moved from the Forum to the larger Bell Centre.
Because of revenue sharing, the Habs must now turn over about $6-million U.S. to other teams in the league.

This is from cfcf website. That sucks. There goes money for a good player. I wonder how much money they actualy made.

Habs514 is offline  
Old
04-03-2006, 08:32 AM
  #2
RC51
Registered User
 
RC51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 3,640
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs514
Hi guys,

The Montreal Canadiens have never been so popular. The Habs play in the largest rink in the league, and they're sold out for the entire season -- that's a record of more than 872,000 tickets sold. Team will have to share its financial windfall
That's a first, since the team moved from the Forum to the larger Bell Centre.
Because of revenue sharing, the Habs must now turn over about $6-million U.S. to other teams in the league.

This is from cfcf website. That sucks. There goes money for a good player. I wonder how much money they actualy made.

I don't think this money counts against the CAP

RC51 is offline  
Old
04-03-2006, 08:36 AM
  #3
AH
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Woodbridge, ON
Country: Pakistan
Posts: 4,874
vCash: 500
The Habs have been a top 10 revenue team for a long time (I think they are 8th now). They have been turning money over to the welfare bums in Ottawa, Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver as part of the Canadian equalization program for the lower rev Canadian teams for many many years.

That's why I hate every other Canadian team almost as much as the Leafs. The team takes our team's money and their fans talk ***** back at us. If it weren't for the generosity of the Maple Leafs and Habs, those teams would be in the US now.

AH is offline  
Old
04-03-2006, 09:22 AM
  #4
jcpenny
Registered User
 
jcpenny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,878
vCash: 500
What hurts the most is that stupid tax they pay for the Bell center every year.

jcpenny is offline  
Old
04-03-2006, 10:03 AM
  #5
polarslam
Registered User
 
polarslam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 508
vCash: 500
I have no issue with revenue sharing at all. Revenue Sharing is the reason why the NFL is the best sports leauge in the world, and if the NHL wants to develop into anything more than a fringe sport in the vast majority of North America it will have to ensure that creates an econmic system that allows every francise to have a decent chance to compete. Allthough I would rather see revenue sharing between small market teams in hockey cities like Quebec, Winnipeg, Hamilton, Hartford, rather than bad markets like Nashville and Carolina.

polarslam is offline  
Old
04-03-2006, 10:36 AM
  #6
SuperUnknown
Registered User
 
SuperUnknown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 4,513
vCash: 500
I think because of how the CBA works and the few teams that are eligible for revenue sharing, Montreal will receive part of that money back.

SuperUnknown is offline  
Old
04-03-2006, 11:26 AM
  #7
StanAjax
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Nantes
Country: France
Posts: 1,582
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpenny
What hurts the most is that stupid tax they pay for the Bell center every year.

This is our main problem. It shouldn't be about revenue sharing, more about profit sharing... Otherwise, we'll share the money and end up poorer than others because of the enormous Bell Centre tax...

StanAjax is offline  
Old
04-03-2006, 11:50 AM
  #8
AD
Registered User
 
AD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bigassofficetower
Country: Lebanon
Posts: 14,579
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanAjax
This is our main problem. It shouldn't be about revenue sharing, more about profit sharing... Otherwise, we'll share the money and end up poorer than others because of the enormous Bell Centre tax...
What do you guys care if George Gillette makes an extra 3 million here or a 5 million there.

Just as long as the management is willing to spend on or around the cap, what do we care if the Big Corporate owners make an extra buck

As a montrealer, I'm happy that George Gillette gives my city 9 million dollars a year in taxes, better that, than keeping it for his pockets in Colorado right?

And furthermore, the taxes he pays here, he writes-off so he has to pay less somewhere else. Its not like he's losing money!!

AD is offline  
Old
04-03-2006, 12:01 PM
  #9
StanAjax
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Nantes
Country: France
Posts: 1,582
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by aymand
As a montrealer, I'm happy that George Gillette gives my city 9 million dollars a year in taxes, better that, than keeping it for his pockets in Colorado right?

Yeah, of course. But remember that we were not a top spending team without the cap. And with the cap raising, we'll soon match our pre-lockout payroll...

So, I'm not sure we''ll be able to compete with Leafs, Flyers, Wings... for long.


And my point was just : take into account this Hab specific tax in your revenue sharing program.

StanAjax is offline  
Old
04-03-2006, 12:23 PM
  #10
AD
Registered User
 
AD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bigassofficetower
Country: Lebanon
Posts: 14,579
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanAjax
And my point was just : take into account this Hab specific tax in your revenue sharing program.
Yeah, I see your point about revenue sharing. You're right, maybe it should be *Profit Sharing*

Here's hoping Gillette feels generous..

AD is offline  
Old
04-03-2006, 12:32 PM
  #11
LeHab
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 7,821
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanAjax
Yeah, of course. But remember that we were not a top spending team without the cap. And with the cap raising, we'll soon match our pre-lockout payroll...

So, I'm not sure we''ll be able to compete with Leafs, Flyers, Wings... for long.


And my point was just : take into account this Hab specific tax in your revenue sharing program.
Don't forget the dollar strength. Back in the days we had to shell 70 millions CDN to get a 43.4 millions US payroll (0.62). Today at 0.85 with the same 70 millions CDN we can get a payroll of about 59.5 millions US.

LeHab is offline  
Old
04-03-2006, 03:49 PM
  #12
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban
 
Team_Spirit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 20,347
vCash: 700
Interesting , at least we actually made money this year !

Team_Spirit is offline  
Old
04-03-2006, 03:50 PM
  #13
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban
 
Team_Spirit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 20,347
vCash: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by aymand
Yeah, I see your point about revenue sharing. You're right, maybe it should be *Profit Sharing*

Here's hoping Gillette feels generous..
It is profit sharing

Team_Spirit is offline  
Old
04-03-2006, 03:59 PM
  #14
AD
Registered User
 
AD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bigassofficetower
Country: Lebanon
Posts: 14,579
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozeph_Balej
It is profit sharing
YAY

AD is offline  
Old
04-03-2006, 04:52 PM
  #15
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole
 
Munchausen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Stuck in traffic
Posts: 5,330
vCash: 500
If we believe what the upper management is saying to us (and that is another debate), above 40M in payroll, they start losing money (because of that darn tax). Now you can't blame Gilett for not wanting to lose money, therefore, if the cap goes up well over that number, our own cap might not follow and stall at 40ish millions. That's why that excessive tax amount has to be taken care of.

Munchausen is offline  
Old
04-03-2006, 05:14 PM
  #16
Dan K
HFBoards Partner
 
Dan K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,176
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Dan K
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51
I don't think this money counts against the CAP
It obviously doesn't, that's not the point. We're not the New York Rangers with bottomless wallets.

Less money in George's bank account = Less money for us to spend. Whether or not this amount makes a difference in the grand scheme of things is to be seen.

Dan K is offline  
Old
04-03-2006, 05:17 PM
  #17
Beatnik
Registered User
 
Beatnik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Québec
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,637
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Beatnik
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakuuuuu
It obviously doesn't, that's not the point. We're not the New York Rangers with bottomless wallets.

Less money in George's bank account = Less money for us to spend. Whether or not this amount makes a difference in the grand scheme of things is to be seen.

With such great revenues and a salary cap, The Habs have more than enough money to spend the cap limit.

Beatnik is offline  
Old
04-03-2006, 05:19 PM
  #18
sXe
Yuuuuuup!
 
sXe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Montreal
Posts: 3,725
vCash: 500
Playoff money is where it's at. Get past the 1st round and everyone will be happy.

sXe is offline  
Old
04-03-2006, 05:24 PM
  #19
Beatnik
Registered User
 
Beatnik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Québec
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,637
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Beatnik
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchausen
If we believe what the upper management is saying to us (and that is another debate), above 40M in payroll, they start losing money (because of that darn tax). Now you can't blame Gilett for not wanting to lose money, therefore, if the cap goes up well over that number, our own cap might not follow and stall at 40ish millions. That's why that excessive tax amount has to be taken care of.

they cap is at 54% of the revenus.

At a 40 million cap, an "average team" have an extra 34 Millions for the coach, travel, taxes etc. It's more than enough. A very rich team like the Habs have much more than that so I think they can pay their taxes and spend the cap.

Beatnik is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:33 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.