HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Baseball Thread: Late Game Heroics Edition

Old
06-01-2012, 09:08 PM
Afino
The Juice

vCash: 500
Good for them. And good for Johan. Especially after all he went through.

Afino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 09:13 PM
OpethianSabre20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taro Tsujimoto View Post
Mets FINALLY get a no-hitter!!!
I'm conflicted on this.

I like Santana a lot, but as a Braves fan, I was also hoping for the no-hit drought to continue.

OpethianSabre20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 09:21 PM
Afino
The Juice

Yeah, it's one of those "baseball oddities" that I kind of wished would continue. But as it went on, I got on the side of the Mets and Johan. That was pretty cool.

Afino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 11:17 PM
Montag DP
Sabres fan in...

He definitely had some help from his defense, but I'm glad he got the no-hitter. It's pretty impressive to do it against the Cardinals.

Montag DP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 12:14 AM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

This video > the no-hitter (NSFW)

http://deadspin.com/5915116/which-me...no+hitter-nsfw

thefifagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 07:23 AM
MayDay

No-han!

Let's go Mets!

:-)

MayDay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 01:00 PM
gallagt01

I actually caught Johan's no-hitter live. Exciting stuff - and I'm a Yanks fan.

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 08:25 PM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

Andrelton Simmons just turned a double play Pastornicky could only dream of. And he made it look easy.

BuiltTagonTough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 10:25 PM
McTank

Nice 2 hitter from morrow lat night, jays need to trade for another starter though

McTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 04:53 PM
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth

i always find it hilarious when i'm board surfing and remember how many of you are braves fans

Rhodes 81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 03:49 PM
DJN21

ik this OT its sabres related but I didnt wanna make a whole thread for one question....does anyone have the link to that ville leino article where he was very critical of buffalo and saying that he thought better warmup music etc would help get him/the team better pumped to play? Ik im paraphrasing and likely butchering it...

DJN21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 03:53 PM
AV18

Send a message via AIM to AV18
Orioles!
Braves!

Also, it was fun going to the Bisons/Tides game today and see Brian Roberts and Miguel Tejada play. And of course McLouth is back to haunt me.

AV18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 06:59 PM
Zip15

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV18 View Post
Orioles!
Braves!

Also, it was fun going to the Bisons/Tides game today and see Brian Roberts and Miguel Tejada play. And of course McLouth is back to haunt me.
Went to Phils/O's the last two days, and saw both walk-offs. The best part is that my wife and in-laws (who were in town) are Phillies fans.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 09:08 PM
AV18

Send a message via AIM to AV18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Went to Phils/O's the last two days, and saw both walk-offs. The best part is that my wife and in-laws (who were in town) are Phillies fans.
Jealous!

I really need money so I can go back to Camden Yards.

AV18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 11:02 PM
McTank

Ricky Romero has been almost as garbage as tim lincecum this season

McTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 11:16 PM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyAreGoodScaryGood View Post
Ricky Romero has been almost as garbage as tim lincecum this season
That's a ridiculous stretch. His ERA and WHIP are significantly lower than Lincecum's. Romero's numbers were right around league average before today. He's been nowhere near as bad. He's actually holding batters to a lower average than last year, he's just walking batters at a much higher rate. He is good proof though that win-loss record is a garbage stat; no reason he should be 7-1.

Old
06-10-2012, 11:23 PM
DJN21

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuiltTagonTough View Post
Andrelton Simmons just turned a double play Pastornicky could only dream of. And he made it look easy.
whatd o u think of simmons so far? he's by far the more exciting player. I was shocked at the lack of speed(or utilization on Fredi's part) of Pastor...this team gets chipper back and we might just start rollin again. I hear rumors they are strong after Soler

Old
06-10-2012, 11:49 PM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJN21 View Post
whatd o u think of simmons so far? he's by far the more exciting player. I was shocked at the lack of speed(or utilization on Fredi's part) of Pastor...this team gets chipper back and we might just start rollin again. I hear rumors they are strong after Soler
He's been better than expected with the bat. He's what I expected in the field (he's consistently rated an 80 glove on 20-80 scale). You couldn't really run with Rev too much because he was in the 8 spot; the last thing you want him to do is get caught stealing and force the pitcher to lead off the inning after. The truth is Rev isn't a starter and probably won't become. My hope is that he becomes a better version of what Infante was before; utility player who can play so many positions and can get on hot stretches. Chipper is back, the key is getting McCann going. Surprised how much he struggled. And yes, I heard the same thing although we aren't the favorites and I can't imagine us breaking the bank for him.

Old
06-11-2012, 12:05 AM
DJN21

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefifagod View Post
He's been better than expected with the bat. He's what I expected in the field (he's consistently rated an 80 glove on 20-80 scale). You couldn't really run with Rev too much because he was in the 8 spot; the last thing you want him to do is get caught stealing and force the pitcher to lead off the inning after. The truth is Rev isn't a starter and probably won't become. My hope is that he becomes a better version of what Infante was before; utility player who can play so many positions and can get on hot stretches. Chipper is back, the key is getting McCann going. Surprised how much he struggled. And yes, I heard the same thing although we aren't the favorites and I can't imagine us breaking the bank for him.
Our boy infante is still swingin the stic at a .300 level...happy for him but def miss him. Im also surpised with Mac but honestly this team is missing a prototypical #4 hitter...chipper is gone, Mac and Freeman could handle #3, uggla is a great #6, heyward is...there lol we need another big middle of the order bat to really make that offense click. I think Bourn-Prado-Freeman-?-Mac-Uggla-Heyward is a great lineup but that ? is huge

likewise id kill for JJ to figure out how to pitch again lol

Old
06-11-2012, 12:46 AM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJN21 View Post
Our boy infante is still swingin the stic at a .300 level...happy for him but def miss him. Im also surpised with Mac but honestly this team is missing a prototypical #4 hitter...chipper is gone, Mac and Freeman could handle #3, uggla is a great #6, heyward is...there lol we need another big middle of the order bat to really make that offense click. I think Bourn-Prado-Freeman-?-Mac-Uggla-Heyward is a great lineup but that ? is huge

likewise id kill for JJ to figure out how to pitch again lol
I don't know why you are saying Chipper is gone when he's playing right now. You can't be looking ahead to next year since Bourn isn't signed (at least I don't think).

We might not have a standard 4 hole hitter but whatever, that's kind of irrelevant. They have 3 guys who can play the 3 hole just fine and then Uggla is a standard 4/5 guy, preferably a 5 but he manages just fine there. Heyward should definitely turn into a guy who can bat anywhere in the order. Bourn-Prado-Freeman-McCann-Uggla-Chipper-Heyward-Simmons-xx is a pretty damn good lineup. I'd argue it's better than the last couple world series winners top to bottom. 3 of those guys are in the top 6 in the league in amount of times reaching base (Bourn, Prado, Uggla) which is awesome. The name of the game is to not make outs and get on base and we're doing that extremely well.

JJ remembering who he is would be huge; otherwise they'd have to add a pitcher to put us over the top. I feel comfortable with Beachy, Hanson, and Hudson for the playoffs but that 4 guy is troublesome. I'd love to add a guy like Marcum or Dempster at the deadline (Grienke is unrealistic) to solidify our rotation if JJ doesn't turn it around. I'd also like to add another righty to the pen, we only have Kimbrel at the moment since Livan blows and Martinez is almost exclusively in a long relief role. A lot of that depends on Medlen though.

Old
06-13-2012, 11:46 PM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

Matt Cain perfect through 8.

Damn Braves

Old
06-13-2012, 11:52 PM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

Got it

Old
06-13-2012, 11:56 PM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefifagod View Post
Matt Cain perfect through 8.

Damn Braves
Very cool, especially since he lost his last one to a pitcher.

And yes...damn Braves indeed...

BuiltTagonTough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 12:04 PM
enrothorne
A DJ saved my life

Send a message via AIM to enrothorne
My expectations going into this season for Atlanta weren't very high to begin with. If they make the second wild card, I'd be mildly pleased as that's about where I expect them to finish.

enrothorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 06:03 PM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by enrothorne View Post
My expectations going into this season for Atlanta weren't very high to begin with. If they make the second wild card, I'd be mildly pleased as that's about where I expect them to finish.
I'd be really disappointed if they didn't make it. They basically took two months off last season and would have been the second wild card. Now they have Bourn for a full year and ideally a healthy roster with improved play from Heyward and McCann. I would think Wren is going to make moves at the deadline if necessary to improve the team as well. If they don't make it, Fredi should be canned (he should be anyways because he's the Frediot but it won't happen if we make it).