HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

James van Riemsdyk

Old
06-10-2012, 11:32 PM
Leafs87
Mr. Steal Your Job

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJN21 View Post
I respect him so much more for what he did last summer....
So do LA fans.....

I honestly thought his logic only worked on NHL 12. Signing guys long term at cheap contracts and then trading them. If the trade would be for Schenn like speculated before, I can't say Burke is doing much better.

Leafs87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 11:33 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
I honestly don't think this will have any impact on the Flyers signing players. There was multiple reports Homer warned Richards and Carter time and time again to change(change what I don't know) (also he supposedly took them on car rides multiple times If I remember correctly) If a player is a UFA he can easily just say I want a NTC in my deal and get it. Players will always(ALWAYS) go where the money is. It's the business.
I agree but players already in the organization may stop taking pay cuts on these long term contracts because they don't feel secure in Philly it has nothing to do with UFA's

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 11:37 PM
Flyersfan1493
Formerly Go For It

A year ago, I wouldn't have believed anything out of Eskin's mouth about the Flyers, but after breaking the Richards/Carter news...

Flyersfan1493 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 11:38 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
I agree but players already in the organization may stop taking pay cuts on these long term contracts because they don't feel secure in Philly it has nothing to do with UFA's
I get what you're saying, but we really don't have many players on discount contracts. Giroux is really the only one, but he makes 5 million in the last year of his deal. So he knows at that time he will get his huge pay day if he continues to trend the way he is. As a player though, first thing is always first, it's a business. They lose friends and team mates every year to trades and UFA signings. All I am trying to say it really doesn't have an impact on any players in the organization, RFA's or UFA's.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 11:40 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
I get what you're saying, but we really don't have many players on discount contracts. Giroux is really the only one, but he makes 5 million in the last year of his deal. So he knows at that time he will get his huge pay day if he continues to trend the way he is. As a player though, first thing is always first, it's a business. They lose friends and team mates every year to trades and UFA signings. All I am trying to say it really doesn't have an impact on any players in the organization, RFA's or UFA's.
JVR, Richards, Carter took long term contracts that significantly lowered their cap hit in their prime years than waiting for UFA who knows if Schenn will feel like signing a 8 year deal versus 2 4 year deals maximizing his cap hit each time.

Old
06-10-2012, 11:42 PM
DJN21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs87 View Post
So do LA fans.....

I honestly thought his logic only worked on NHL 12. Signing guys long term at cheap contracts and then trading them. If the trade would be for Schenn like speculated before, I can't say Burke is doing much better.
If Bryz didnt choke and Pronger didnt break his face this is a whole new convo...ik that we can what if this do death, and I think all sides made out in the trade but...

richards and carter clearly werent Philly's winners/had off ice trouble/had huge contracts

Philly gained voracek/simmonds/schenn/signed jagr/got coutirerier etc etc....had cap to trade for Bryz...he made a depth/future move and knew that Pronger(pre injury) and Giroux were his leaders. It took serious guts to do what he did....right or wrong and serious guts for a gm to me are commendable

DJN21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 11:45 PM
ZetterBurger

Quote:
I'm sure Giroux will get whatever he wants in his contract, but to be an elite team for years you need players to take less than market value (not everyone but a good amount) and you need roster stability. Signing players to long term deals and then moving them (especially to bad teams) can only have a negative effect, no matter how large of an effect, it's still negative.

ZetterBurger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 11:47 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
I honestly don't think this will have any impact on the Flyers signing players. There was multiple reports Homer warned Richards and Carter time and time again to change(change what I don't know) (also he supposedly took them on car rides multiple times If I remember correctly) If a player is a UFA he can easily just say I want a NTC in my deal and get it. Players will always(ALWAYS) go where the money is. It's the business.
You do not know of hockey players who have signed at a discount? And yeah, if I am a player for Philly, I would make sure to get not just a no trade clause, but a no movement clause if I am going to give a dime of a discount given the history with Philly and these contracts. If they do not do that and get screwed, it is on them and their agents for being idiots.

Jaded-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 11:48 PM
DJN21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
You do not know of hockey players who have signed at a discount? And yeah, if I am a player for Philly, I would make sure to get not just a no trade clause, but a no movement clause if I am going to give a dime of a discount given the history with Philly and these contracts. If they do not do that and get screwed, it is on them and their agents for being idiots.
trueee

DJN21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 11:48 PM
Riptide

If Nash is moved, JVR is an ideal target. He's young, has potential, and is locked in for 4-5 years so he shouldn't be leaving anytime soon.

Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 11:52 PM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZetterBurger View Post
I'm sure Giroux will get whatever he wants in his contract, but to be an elite team for years you need players to take less than market value (not everyone but a good amount) and you need roster stability. Signing players to long term deals and then moving them (especially to bad teams) can only have a negative effect, no matter how large of an effect, it's still negative.
Not necessarily. As long as players are being traded for good deals, it could also naturally have positive effects.

I really dont think players will remember Richards and Carter when negotiating their next deals. Even if they do bring it up, Holmgren will just say, "dont give us a reason to trade you, and you wont be traded".

It's one of those things that fans make bigger than it actually is.

hockeyfreak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 11:52 PM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Gluten Free

Man Holmgren just can't stop himself

KEEROLE Vatanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 11:53 PM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
If Nash is moved, JVR is an ideal target. He's young, has potential, and is locked in for 4-5 years so he shouldn't be leaving anytime soon.
How so? They are 4 years apart in age, Nash has two 40 goal seasons, you would have to add a lot and I don't even think Columbus is interested in JVR for Nash.

poetryinmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 11:53 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post
Not necessarily. As long as players are being traded for good deals, it could also naturally have positive effects.

I really dont think players will remember Richards and Carter when negotiating their next deals. Even if they do bring it up, Holmgren will just say, "dont give us a reason to trade you, and you wont be traded".

It's one of those things that fans make bigger than it actually is.
What reason did JVR give?

Old
06-10-2012, 11:58 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
What reason did JVR give?
his ability for us to acquire Nash. That's the only reason Homer needs to trade him.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 12:01 AM
nuclear reactor

Can't wait for Van Riemsdyk to be traded and for the experts around here to say nobody will ever sign in Philadelphia again, just like last year.

nuclear reactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 12:03 AM
boredmale

I never get why a team can't trade for a injured player if they sign a sheet saying they know he is injured

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 12:04 AM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
I never get why a team can't trade for a injured player if they sign a sheet saying they know he is injured
They can, actually. Gauthier (idiot) traded Cammy for an injured Bourque last season.

poetryinmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 12:06 AM
JABEE

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
I think it has more to do with JVR not getting the surgery now to be ready for the start of next season. If he drags it out, recovery time could go into next season. Colombus would probably not be able to trade their best player if the center piece of the deal isn't ready to play on day one of the season. That's my guess.

JABEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 12:11 AM
magic school bus

vCash: 141
Quote:
If JVR gets traded to some bottom feeder team I will have even less respect for Paul Holmgren then I do now, and that took a serious hit last summer.
You and me both.

magic school bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 12:13 AM
Frodo Baggins

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic school bus View Post
You and me both.
true, but when it comes down to it, homer is going to make a decision to make his team as best as he possibly can. the CBJ have an incredible winger, and he is going to push for that. that might lead to him sending JVR to a god awful team, but JVR's role for that team will be enormous. that's a huge opportunity for him.

Frodo Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 12:16 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Oh sweet G-d.

If JvR is the centerpiece of a Nash trade... words cannot express my disgust. In many ways he actually is what Nash's detractors like to accuse Nash of being - overrated due to physical talents with (relatively) comically low production and a corresponding horrifying contract - only he doesn't even have the goalscoring Nash does to make up for having him around, and he's been disturbingly injury prone of late. I cringe at the very idea of JvR in union blue.

If he's merely one quality part of others, though, and not supposed to be the best asset we're getting... I think I'd survive. Maybe. I mean, he does manage to be a top-6 forward, and we do need those. Just...

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 12:19 AM
BrindamoursNose

Quote:
Unless there was a huge issue with the two and it was becoming a big problem. Who knows.

BrindamoursNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 12:24 AM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion View Post
They can, actually. Gauthier (idiot) traded Cammy for an injured Bourque last season.
He wasn't injured he was suspended/unmotivated

Old
06-11-2012, 12:25 AM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
his ability for us to acquire Nash. That's the only reason Homer needs to trade him.
As I said players on the team may rethink signing long term on good contracts if as soon as they sign them they are traded.