HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jordan Schroeder Ready To Seize Opportunity With Canucks

Old
05-21-2012, 10:37 AM
putridgasbag
Grand Poohba

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
I wish you were right. Unfortunately, at this point management would be taking a wild guess as to how effective Schroeder will be at the NHL level.

If management is banking on Schroeder making the team out of camp next year it was a no-brainer to give him at least a cup of coffee this past sseason.
Any more of a guess than calling the kid up and playing 7 minutes on the 4th line or out of position?

My guess is if he makes the team this year or ever it will be as a centre and it will be because he earned it and beat out the other competition for the spot.

putridgasbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 11:22 AM
John Bender*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Sequel to Failure View Post
If you're gonna post something to the effect of "I just have a feeling" then why should I even take your post seriously? If you have nothing behind what YOU say, don't expect a intelligent response.

Ya know, I feel bad for Tiranis. He posts decent opinions and observations after actually watching jordan play, and yet still people say things like "we just don't know what we have in this kid, he's gonna be Ried, I have a feeling."
Yeah, you're right. Rather than attempt to have some sort of a decent discussion, it's best to throw out childish barbs.

So 14 posts, yet your are posting like a Vet - interesting.

John Bender* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 12:57 PM
dave babych returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTheGiant View Post
Yeah, you're right. Rather than attempt to have some sort of a decent discussion, it's best to throw out childish barbs.

So 14 posts, yet your are posting like a Vet - interesting.
For someone complaining of a lack of content in posts, your last few have had awfully little to do with Jordan Schroeder.

And by the by, I wouldn't call a rejection of your comments that you "don't know why, but.." childish. Without being attached to any kind of credibility (something very few of us enjoy on an internet forum) those kinds of comments are pretty much worthless, and demanding intelligent contributions is not childish.

dave babych returns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 01:18 PM
John Bender*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave babych returns View Post
For someone complaining of a lack of content in posts, your last few have had awfully little to do with Jordan Schroeder.

And by the by, I wouldn't call a rejection of your comments that you "don't know why, but.." childish. Without being attached to any kind of credibility (something very few of us enjoy on an internet forum) those kinds of comments are pretty much worthless, and demanding intelligent contributions is not childish.
I don't want to get into this any further, but all I said was that it seems to me that Schroeder has the makings of some past failures the Canucks have had. I said that I hoped I was wrong and that was followed up by a epic post full of emoticons.

If the guy has something to counter my opinion, I'd love to......like.....read it? Really, I am open to changing my opinion. It's the childish attacks that test my patience.

Old
05-21-2012, 01:30 PM
dave babych returns

Quote:
I don't want to get into this any further, but all I said was that it seems to me that Schroeder has the makings of some past failures the Canucks have had. I said that I hoped I was wrong and that was followed up by a epic post full of emoticons.

If the guy has something to counter my opinion, I'd love to......like.....read it? Really, I am open to changing my opinion. It's the childish attacks that test my patience.
Lots of people have posted stuff counter to your opinion, Tiranis has the most recent one and he refers further to several others.

Old
05-21-2012, 01:36 PM
John Bender*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgav View Post
He's seen almost all of schroeders games in the ahl.. He's knows a lot more then you do about schroeder
Perhaps he can fill us in on Schroeder?

Why is he different from other smallish players that have come up through the Canuck ranks? I am interested in his opinion.

Old
05-21-2012, 01:58 PM
Cogburn

I predict he literally sets the world on fire in preseason and his first 10-15 games, but then we pull Kesler out of rehab early, trade Schroeder for peanuts to a team that needs him, and Kesler is injured again.

Based on previous experience.

Cogburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 02:00 PM
Tiranis

Quote:

Why is he different from other smallish players that have come up through the Canuck ranks? I am interested in his opinion.
Either you have me on ignore or you just refuse to read anything I've posted over the past 2 months.

I don't think it's fair to compare him to guys like Reid, Tambellini, or Haydar because those guys had their AHL bag of tricks and that was about it. They didn't show the commitment to improve their all around game nor the ability to play an NHL type game. If you watch those guys play, it's not really their size that's hampering them so much as their style of play. I would compare them to guys like Giroux and Mancari who are big and stars in the AHL, but are worthless in the NHL.

I think Kariya is the only somewhat decent comparison but Kariya was 5'6", light as a feather and couldn't handle the physical play at all. Schroeder has shown in the AHL that he doesn't mind getting into the dirty areas and can win battles against bigger, stronger players. His other strong suit is controlling the pace of the play rather than having one gear only like a lot of AHL stars.

Last edited by Tiranis: 05-21-2012 at 02:09 PM.
Tiranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 02:07 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogburn View Post
I predict he literally sets the world on fire in preseason and his first 10-15 games, but then we pull Kesler out of rehab early, trade Schroeder for peanuts to a team that needs him, and Kesler is injured again.

I can see this. Maybe not to the extreme of trading him, but sending him down despite his solid performance.

05-21-2012, 02:17 PM
Tiranis

I feel like this is an excellent video (by thefeebster) for those who haven't had a chance to watch the Wolves this season:

It's just an isolation video from a single game showing his play in all situations. It will give you a better idea than watching a highlight package.

Old
05-21-2012, 02:39 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by putridgasbag View Post
Any more of a guess than calling the kid up and playing 7 minutes on the 4th line or out of position?

My guess is if he makes the team this year or ever it will be as a centre and it will be because he earned it and beat out the other competition for the spot.
With a full roster of players that openly admitted they could care less about the regular season and an effort that seemed to back that up, there could have been many opportunities to get Schroeder minutes in the top 9 IMO. Not to mention, offensively speaking, Kesler was a disaster 5 on 5 pretty much the entire season - Kesler should have moved over to Schroeder's wing, even if only for 2 or 3 games to see where the kid was at.

I just don't see any potential downside had they called Schroeder up. He would get a feel for NHL size and speed, likely improve his confidence once going back to Chicago, we would have a better idea where he's at and it would be a reward for buying in defensively and working hard on the farm. Just can't make sense of it...

Drop the Sopel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 02:50 PM
dave babych returns

Drop the Sopel, I fully admit to not having watched this like a hawk this season but can you think of many occasions in which the Canucks had roster space, had use for a center and did not obviously have designs on playing a more NHL ready player (like Bitz)?

I sure can't, off-hand.

Now if they don't find a chance to give Schroeder a look next year I'll be disappointed.

Old
05-21-2012, 02:51 PM
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas

Without the benefit of at least 20-30 NHL games under his belt, putting the 3rd line Center eggs in Schroeder's basket is a huge gamble considering in case of injury to 1st or 2nd line center, the 3rd line center is in your top 6 (as he would be to start the season).

Makes more sense for the team to plan for him to be in Chicago and get called up whenever there's an injury to one of the 4 centers (which means he would start the season with the Canucks). Doesn't tie up any unnecessary cap space or roster spot, doesn't require waivers and he gets the experience needed.

Team needs to be committed to this process though, not give up after 4-5 games...

Outside99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 03:17 PM
Amused To Death

Gillis said near the end of the season that they fully intended to give Schroeder his cup of coffee, and then they didn't. It was kind of confusing that Schroeder didn't wind up making an appearance...I wonder if Chicago had a say in this? Doesn't make much sense.

Amused To Death is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 03:24 PM
dave babych returns

I thought Gillis said that Schroeder had earned it, not that he was going to actually get it (before the end of the regular season).

Old
05-21-2012, 03:32 PM
Amused To Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave babych returns View Post
I thought Gillis said that Schroeder had earned it, not that he was going to actually get it (before the end of the regular season).
Damned lawyers. Could be either, but what you said sounds right...

Amused To Death is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 03:40 PM
John Bender*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Either you have me on ignore or you just refuse to read anything I've posted over the past 2 months.

I don't think it's fair to compare him to guys like Reid, Tambellini, or Haydar because those guys had their AHL bag of tricks and that was about it. They didn't show the commitment to improve their all around game nor the ability to play an NHL type game. If you watch those guys play, it's not really their size that's hampering them so much as their style of play. I would compare them to guys like Giroux and Mancari who are big and stars in the AHL, but are worthless in the NHL.

I think Kariya is the only somewhat decent comparison but Kariya was 5'6", light as a feather and couldn't handle the physical play at all. Schroeder has shown in the AHL that he doesn't mind getting into the dirty areas and can win battles against bigger, stronger players. His other strong suit is controlling the pace of the play rather than having one gear only like a lot of AHL stars.
Fair enough. Last I heard, they were really disappointed with him at first, and then he had a reasonably good year last year. Is he setting the AHL on fire? How many points did he put up? Was he used as a first liner by MacT?

Old
05-21-2012, 08:30 PM
Proto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogburn View Post

I predict if he literally sets the world on fire that we'll all melt.

Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 08:49 PM
CanucksOo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amused To Death View Post
Damned lawyers. Could be either, but what you said sounds right...
I think you had it right. Gillis said the intention was to get Schroeder some NHL action sometime this season. But for whatever reason (Gillis didn't specify), it didn't end up working out. Not sure when the timeline was suppose to be but it seems like they waited too long and due to injuries, they had to preserve their remaining callups.

CanucksOo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 10:14 PM
Nuck This

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanucksOo View Post
I think you had it right. Gillis said the intention was to get Schroeder some NHL action sometime this season. But for whatever reason (Gillis didn't specify), it didn't end up working out. Not sure when the timeline was suppose to be but it seems like they waited too long and due to injuries, they had to preserve their remaining callups.
Ya he did deserve a call up but I think there were some complications. Preserving the remaining call ups was one and I think cap space at times was another. He deserved a call up from January and on. I think he makes the team out of training camp this year. Especially with Kesler out.

Nuck This is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 03:34 AM
thefeebster

So I promised a highlight video...

Had around 25 minutes of Schroeder only footage, cut it to 6! Anyways, disclaimer is that its mainly goals and assists. As Tiranis said, if you want a more encompassing video, check the one up top.

And as always, recommend watching on the youtube page as you get the larger video and the way it was made to be seen.

thefeebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 03:49 AM
Tiranis

Great video. Thanks for making it!

Old
06-11-2012, 04:04 AM
DJOpus

Go get Sam Gagne for Ballard and let him and Schroeder fight it out for the 2nd line centre spot while Kesler is hurt. When Kesler is back, put Kesler with one of them on the 2nd line (with Higgins/Kassian), and Booth with the other on the 3rd (with Hansen/Higgins). Adds hands that can create into each line of our lineup (which I think is a bigger issue than toughness or size right now). Obviously I'd take someone with both (i.e. Getzlaf or Thornton) over just skill but that seems like a pipe dream and I think our priority has to be skill - we simply can't score in the playoffs and have a lot of "grinders" currently in our top 9 (Burrows, Kesler, Booth, Higgins, Hansen, Kassian, Lappy/Malholtra).

Unless we get two good offensive centres, it seems like Schroeder is a lock for opening night.

DJOpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 11:06 AM
crazyforhockey

Quote:

I think you have to realize his skill level is much higher

like a small player with great skill/vision= to aplayer that is slower with highend skill

can the greater skill/vision overcome either size or in other cases overcome slower foot speed

he dropped in the draft from a possible top5 primairly because of his size

where he ends up remains to be seen.....but I really think the roadblock hes faced will make him a better player now and future".......... hes had to work harder to get where he wants to

crazyforhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 12:37 PM
Luck 6
\\_______

I don't see why so many people have Schroeder pencilled in as our #3C. Didn't we learn anything from the Hodgson fiasco? I understand many of us justify us by saying Schroeder is better defensively and a better skater than Hodgson, but being good defensively at the AHL level and NHL level are two completely different things. I still don't see AV going into the post-season next year with a 5'9" rookie centerman on his 3rd "shutdown" line, do you? I personally don't see where Schroeder fits unless he can play wing next to Kesler. I imagine he'll get his shot as Kesler is out for a bit, but it wouldn't shock me at all to see Gillis trade Schroeder if he has some success this coming season just as he did with Hodgson last season. I think Schroeder's future with the Canucks depends on how well he can adapt to wing.

Luck 6 is offline   Reply With Quote