HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Deboer's comment

Old
06-11-2012, 01:06 AM
bbfrc

vCash: 500
Deboer's comment

He had a smug smile and said the Kings have lost their compsure and we want them to be there and keep them there.
I dont think I have heard any King state any negative comments about the Devils. I would be pissed. Fuel that fire.

bbfrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 02:22 AM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

easy to talk trash when the team you coach is down in the series......oh wait

Muzzinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 02:38 AM
Mory Schneideur*
Mory's Better!

Hey Devils fan here. I haven't heard the post game, but Deboar is a class act, he is no Torterella thats for sure.

He's usually on point with what he says. He's not one of those guys that gives you that status quo line when it's not, he's also not the type to brag about how great his team played when they were lucky to win.

I would take it with a grain of salt. I highly doubt he was trying to jab or insult or disrespect anyone.

Mory Schneideur* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 04:02 AM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnyrocket View Post
Hey Devils fan here. I haven't heard the post game, but Deboar is a class act, he is no Torterella thats for sure.

He's usually on point with what he says. He's not one of those guys that gives you that status quo line when it's not, he's also not the type to brag about how great his team played when they were lucky to win.

I would take it with a grain of salt. I highly doubt he was trying to jab or insult or disrespect anyone.
What he is trying to do is to divert media attention away from the fact that he is one game away from losing in the finals. He is eating up the fact that the media wants to push the idea that his team can force game 7. His comment is total ********* and has no factual basis, its merely grandstanding and keeping negative media attention away from his team. He's loving being the darling right now. And that's fine, let him. THe game isn't played during the press conferences.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 05:08 AM
Mory Schneideur*
Mory's Better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
What he is trying to do is to divert media attention away from the fact that he is one game away from losing in the finals. He is eating up the fact that the media wants to push the idea that his team can force game 7. His comment is total ********* and has no factual basis, its merely grandstanding and keeping negative media attention away from his team. He's loving being the darling right now. And that's fine, let him. THe game isn't played during the press conferences.
Idk man, this kinda seems way out there. I don't think there's any tin foil hat to this. Looking too deep in between the lines here, I think there is nothing to read from this. DeBoer isn't type to do such things.

Old
06-11-2012, 05:59 AM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbfrc View Post
He had a smug smile and said the Kings have lost their compsure and we want them to be there and keep them there.
I dont think I have heard any King state any negative comments about the Devils. I would be pissed. Fuel that fire.
It's the playoffs, you do what you can to fire up your team. There's nothing wrong with what he said.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 07:35 AM
nocturn

Remedy: Win the 4th game and shut his piehole for 3+ months. easy.

nocturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 08:29 AM
sueroe

yeah he is trying to keep his team in it and Sutter is countering right now by painting the Kings as the underdogs in a way. You know these are two class act coaches in the playoffs. Deboer also has close ties to Justin Williams and Richards who he coached in juniors. Apparently Richards and Deboer had texted eachother up until the finals.
Anyway I would expect a coach to come out and try to keep his team in it and fire them up.

sueroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 10:27 AM
SLang

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
It's the playoffs, you do what you can to fire up your team. There's nothing wrong with what he said.
I don't think anyone thinks there is something wrong with what he said. I think the point is there's no evidence that the Kings have lost composure - they're not running around, not taking liberties, not taking stupid penalties, etc......both games 4 and 5 could have been won by wither team.

I think the OP is suggesting it's not a smart thing for him to say because it gives the Kings fuel for getting fired up for tonight's game (read: the piano on Gretzky's back - although this one doesn't really approach that one!).

Totally unrelated, sort of: Deboer's a smart guy. You ever notice he never uses any Kings players names? When talking about Quick for example, it's always "their goalie" or "the goalie". But loves using his players names. Obvious (and smart) attempts to NEVER humanize the other team. Interesting.

SLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 12:06 PM
Brad Doty
Compliance Hero

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLang View Post
I don't think anyone thinks there is something wrong with what he said. I think the point is there's no evidence that the Kings have lost composure - they're not running around, not taking liberties, not taking stupid penalties, etc......both games 4 and 5 could have been won by wither team.

I think the OP is suggesting it's not a smart thing for him to say because it gives the Kings fuel for getting fired up for tonight's game (read: the piano on Gretzky's back - although this one doesn't really approach that one!).

Totally unrelated, sort of: Deboer's a smart guy. You ever notice he never uses any Kings players names? When talking about Quick for example, it's always "their goalie" or "the goalie". But loves using his players names. Obvious (and smart) attempts to NEVER humanize the other team. Interesting.
Yup. Rhetoric at its best. Was discussing this with my fellow English teachers, haha. I made them watch an entire Deboer press conference to make sure I wasn't crazy

Brad Doty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 01:43 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnyrocket View Post
Idk man, this kinda seems way out there. I don't think there's any tin foil hat to this. Looking too deep in between the lines here, I think there is nothing to read from this. DeBoer isn't type to do such things.
There's nothing tin foil hat about suggesting your coach is placating to and playing te media. That's anti Tortarella if anything.

If he has convinced you that he's just this pleasant guy who speaks only truth and doesn't have alterior motives in his press conferences, then he is doing his job perfectly. I'm not accusing of him being some super slimy greaseball, hey it's his prerogative to sway the media in his favor, but let's not pretend he isn't using some smart tactics in the media to help motivate his team, attempt to demoralize the Kings, and affect what questions those media morons will then pester the Kings with the next day.

But like another said, it won't matter what useless crap is thrown at the media a fodder soon enough.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 02:01 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN14 View Post
Yup. Rhetoric at its best. Was discussing this with my fellow English teachers, haha. I made them watch an entire Deboer press conference to make sure I wasn't crazy
I think you're crazy for making your fellow English teachers listen to his press conference though :p

Jason Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 04:40 PM
Mory Schneideur*
Mory's Better!

There's nothing with not showing your true hand or trying to slightly play the media. All coaches and teams do that. I just get the impression that maybe some people were leaning towards saying he's a sleazeball.

I highly doubt he has an Obama crew training him how to walk, talk & what to say. It's only post game conferences, it's not like he's trying to rig win an election.

He's really one of the less weasely & slimy coaches. Usually pretty honest about what he says.