HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 Entry Draft - They Looked Great in Practice

Closed Thread

Old
06-11-2012, 11:10 AM
crazycanuck

vCash: 500
Craig Button's Top 60
http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=49649
Ryan Murray 13th
Mikhael Grigorenko 20th
Brady Skeji 26th
Slater Koekkoek 34th
Adam Pelech 35th
Dalton Thrower 52nd

Old
06-11-2012, 12:16 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycanuck View Post
Craig Button's Top 60
http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=49649
Ryan Murray 13th
Mikhael Grigorenko 20th
Brady Skeji 26th
Slater Koekkoek 34th
Adam Pelech 35th
Dalton Thrower 52nd

I read another mock draft that had us taking Laughton and Severson in the 1st and 2nd rounds respectively. Would be very happy with that.

06-11-2012, 12:22 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Not a fan of Button, but I'm getting sick and tired of people that don't understand what he's doing. It's not a consensus list, it's how he sees the potential of the various players working out down the road. It has nothing to do with the teams picking or what anyone else might think.

Anyone that actually WATCHES the prospects is going to have a very different list than what the scouting services come up with by consensus. I wouldn't put Thrower in my Top 45 even, Forsberg is not in my Top 10, I would have Aberg in Top 15, etc.

Whatever his evaluation ability might be — he usually gives ample reasoning for where he ranks the players and why. He also sees a lot of them play so his opinions are pretty informed.

Old
06-11-2012, 12:23 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Not a fan of Button, but I'm getting sick and tired of people that don't understand what he's doing. It's not a consensus list, it's how he sees the potential of the various players. It has nothing to do with the teams picking or what anyone else might think.

Anyone that actually WATCHES the prospects is going to have a very different list than what the scouting services come up with by consensus. I wouldn't put Thrower in my Top 45 even, Forsberg is not in my Top 10, I would have Aberg in Top 15, etc.

Whatever his evaluation ability might be — he usually gives ample reasoning for where he ranks the players and why. He also sees a lot of them play so his opinions are pretty informed.
Oh I know how he does his lists. I also know there's a reason why he's not a GM anymore and why he was a failure of a GM.

Grigorenko that low is ridiculous.

Old
06-11-2012, 12:31 PM
Royal Canuck
HF's Bounty Hunter

vCash: 50
Oh Craig Button...

Twitter |HFBoards Contact | Blog
Xbox Live Gamertag: "CxC Canuck"
"You're never a loser until you quit trying. " - Mike Ditka
Old
06-11-2012, 12:37 PM
arsmaster

Wonder where he'd have Matt Pelech, Kris Chucko and Chuck Kobasew in this draft?

Old
06-11-2012, 12:38 PM
crazycanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Oh I know how he does his lists. I also know there's a reason why he's not a GM anymore and why he was a failure of a GM.

Grigorenko that low is ridiculous.
He feels that Grigorenko will top out as a 2C not a 1C.

Old
06-11-2012, 12:40 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycanuck View Post
He feels that Grigorenko will top out as a 2C not a 1C.
Zemgus Girgensons is ranked ahead of him...will he be a 1C or a 2C?

I just don't see how Faksa and Girgensons have more upside?

Old
06-11-2012, 12:46 PM
crazycanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post

I wonder if he feels that Faksa and Girgensons have more potential to buy into the very strong system based NHL style more than Grigorenko does.

Old
06-11-2012, 12:53 PM
Tiranis

Quote:

Faksa and Girgensons both have 2C upside but they also both look like guys that will be solid defensively, physical, and leadership-material. If one were to think that Grigorenko is at best a #2C, I could see how those two guys start to look more attractive due to everything else they can bring outside of offense.

Looking back at his lists, Button has had hits and misses. He ranked Baertschi at #6 last year — pretty clear he saw something most others didn't and in that case he was right (obviously, we'll see how he adjusts to the NHL long-term but the early junior and NHL results are quite impressive).

Old
06-11-2012, 01:00 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Faksa and Girgensons both have 2C upside but they also both look like guys that will be solid defensively, physical, and leadership-material. If one were to think that Grigorenko is at best a #2C, I could see how those two guys start to look more attractive due to everything else they can bring outside of offense.

Looking back at his lists, Button has had hits and misses. He ranked Baertschi at #6 last year — pretty clear he saw something most others didn't and in that case he was right (obviously, we'll see how he adjusts to the NHL long-term but the early junior and NHL results are quite impressive).
I dont discount Button, and I've tried to contact him in the past.

I'd like to see him do what ISS does and provide a Risers and Fallers list to accompany his ranking.

For a player like Maata to be a projected top 10 pick by the 'consensus' (i know i'll get raked for using that word) and not make Craig's list until last month is a bit odd....especially since he's obviously seen him play more than any of us, is strange.

I like his lists for the 'drama' they create on the interweb, but they are very good pieces for discussion.

Button is a professional, with a less than stellar track record....I understand why people discount his opinion.

I use it as another source.

Old
06-11-2012, 01:07 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
I dont discount Button, and I've tried to contact him in the past.

I'd like to see him do what ISS does and provide a Risers and Fallers list to accompany his ranking.

For a player like Maata to be a projected top 10 pick by the 'consensus' (i know i'll get raked for using that word) and not make Craig's list until last month is a bit odd....especially since he's obviously seen him play more than any of us, is strange.

I like his lists for the 'drama' they create on the interweb, but they are very good pieces for discussion.

Button is a professional, with a less than stellar track record....I understand why people discount his opinion.

I use it as another source.
I personally think it provides for some interesting discussion. He usually explains most of the rankings on TV and his reasons for (not) liking certain prospects.

Honestly, do we need ANOTHER consensus-type list? I take Button any day over the internet scouting agencies that have popped up lately that each release their own draft ranking — I seriously doubt that they even view the prospects enough to form an opinion and their rankings usually follow the agreed-upon consensus pretty closely which to me just smells of ********.

Old
06-11-2012, 01:15 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
I personally think it provides for some interesting discussion. He usually explains most of the rankings on TV and his reasons for (not) liking certain prospects.

Honestly, do we need ANOTHER consensus-type list? I take Button any day over the internet scouting agencies that have popped up lately that each release their own draft ranking — I seriously doubt that they even view the prospects enough to form an opinion and their rankings usually follow the agreed-upon consensus pretty closely which to me just smells of ********.
I feel the same.

We don't need another consensus list...but his tv segments only address the top end.

That's why I've mentioned using a risers and fallers section to accompany his list.

We know what he sees in Grigorenko, Dumba, Murray etc....we don't or didn't know why he didn't like Maata among others until recently.

His lists provide a better resource for discussion than any others (except maybe BMac's consensus).

Old
06-11-2012, 01:25 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:

He also had both Duchene and Hedman ahead of Tavares...

Old
06-11-2012, 04:36 PM
arsmaster

Lets just say Button's list is how the draft plays out (since im tired of speculating on Luongo).

Canucks get D Brady Skeij and G Jon Gillies or Anton Slepyshev if they go for the top rated skater.

Not a bad coup really, not who I want ultimately, but have definitely done worse in the past.

Can't wait for the draft, one of the best times of the year.

Old
06-11-2012, 04:45 PM
Chubros

Quote:
Lets just say Button's list is how the draft plays out (since im tired of speculating on Luongo).

Canucks get D Brady Skeij and G Jon Gillies or Anton Slepyshev if they go for the top rated skater.

And Teuvo Teravainen?!?!

Old
06-11-2012, 05:01 PM
DL44

vCash: 133
Henrik Samuelsson 2/7/94 RW R 6'2/195

Ulf's son.. great playoff run. Does he play with any sort of edge like his father?

I like his size and pedigree. But otherwise i know nothing of the kid outside of what i watched at the Mem Cup... which was only in bits.

What do you guys think... could he be Nicklas Jensen-like in terms of potential in Jr. next yr?

Could he creep into the 1st round?

Is he risk-worthy at 26?

Old
06-11-2012, 06:33 PM
BerSTUzzi

I think Mitchell Moroz, F, Edmonton Oil Kingscould be an interesting player to be had in the 5th round(though I could see someone taking him out of spot earlier)

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...php?pid=123846

6'2, tough, decent skater...still finding himself offensively but the potential is there basically Wilson available in the 5th round.

Last edited by BerSTUzzi: 06-11-2012 at 07:51 PM.
Old
06-12-2012, 02:20 PM
arsmaster

Has anyone found a source for the combine heights and weights?

Old
06-12-2012, 04:10 PM
Askel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DL44 View Post
Henrik Samuelsson 2/7/94 RW R 6'2/195

Ulf's son.. great playoff run. Does he play with any sort of edge like his father?

I like his size and pedigree. But otherwise i know nothing of the kid outside of what i watched at the Mem Cup... which was only in bits.

What do you guys think... could he be Nicklas Jensen-like in terms of potential in Jr. next yr?

Could he creep into the 1st round?

Is he risk-worthy at 26?
I watched him for 10 games here in Sweden and wouldnt pick him in the first four rounds if you only regarded those games, seeing that hes improving in North America so maybe pick him in the second round. He is weak skater doesnt have a great hpckey sense but hes is tough and has great size.

Old
06-12-2012, 04:29 PM
Hansen 36
BASED JIM BENNING

vCash: 420
Ok you guys, if the Team Board Mock Draft is indicative of anything, Pontus Aberg may drop to us. If this happens, do we take him over one of our two favourite defencemen (Thrower, Bystrom)? Kid compares to Teemu Selanne and is a 5'11 187lbs Winger (LW or RW), looks good.

Old
06-12-2012, 04:32 PM
PRNuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansen 36 View Post
Ok you guys, if the Team Board Mock Draft is indicative of anything, Pontus Aberg may drop to us. If this happens, do we take him over one of our two favourite defencemen (Thrower, Bystrom)? Kid compares to Teemu Selanne and is a 5'11 187lbs Winger (LW or RW), looks good.
To me he reeks of Gillis draft pick.

Old
06-12-2012, 04:37 PM
Jevo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansen 36 View Post
Åberg is just too talented to pass on at 26th, more or less no matter what. I would take him over Thrower and Byström.

EDIT: From what I have read of him, he is what you wished Raymond was, he is fast and a strong skater, he has a great shot and is willing to get dirty in the offensive zone, he is willing to play a two-way game even though he lacks the natural flair for it, but his willingness should help get it to NHL two-way level. The knock on his game is lack of playmaking ability. If he pans out, he will be everything you wished Raymond would be.

Last edited by Jevo: 06-12-2012 at 04:46 PM.
Old
06-12-2012, 04:48 PM
rea

To add to the Aberg discussion, i have no clue how Collberg is ranked that much higher than he is. i think Aberg is better than him. If not for his injury this year, I'd have to think he'd be slotted top 12

Old
06-12-2012, 05:36 PM
arsmaster

Not big on Aberg.

Just a gut feeling.

He's pretty small, and doesn't make plays...a pure shooter, you'd say...

How many of those are around the league right now? Only seen highlights, but colour me unimpressed.

Closed Thread