Originally Posted by highstickside View Post
Brandon Hope traded to Owen Sound...

http://www.sarniasting.com/article/s...-to-owen-sound
here we go again!

Old
06-11-2012, 11:36 AM
krauss72

vCash: 500
What a crock of **** that is. Am not happy. But it doesn't surprise me at all considering our pathetic record of developing goaltenders. Hopey's a class act lad and I wish him the best of luck in OS. Hell, whats one more to come back and bite us in the ass. And now we can go spend some more picks and get more rental goalies. Will this cycle ever end?

Old
06-11-2012, 11:57 AM
Baldy

Mixed emotions. I never really drank the Hope boosters Kool-aid. I truly didn't think he was/is that great, but at the same time the Sting organization has a horrendous record of developing and hanging on to goaltenders. I'm sure that OS will treat him well and teach him far better than this most pathetic organization ever could. He will come back and bite our ass once he is treated with respect.
I'm sure goaltenders must know that Sarnia is a just a mere overnighter on the way to better clubs. Still, it must be painful seeing your name being announced by the Sting at the draft or during trade announcements, knowing that whatever career you thought you had in hockey has come to a screeching, hopefully temporary, halt.
Watching this outfit, I wonder if Galchenyuk comes back if they trade him for a OA goaltender.. jk...

Old
06-11-2012, 12:15 PM
Sempron

makes me wonder if hopey asked to be moved. cant say i would blame him if he did. god what a ***** mess jb has made of are team. he inherited yaki and gally he didnt develop them. ask them what they think of jb. maybe jb is hoping anderson returns but it wouldnt suprise me if he wanted out to if he did come back. god youd think we could eventually learn.

Old
06-11-2012, 01:59 PM
NewStingfan

I too am concerned about the Sting's lack of developing drafted goalies. However I am not sure this was totally unexpected. As I mentioned before I am sure Brandon is fine young man but he played in almost 50 games as a member of the Sting and his goals against average was amongst the lowest in the league for 2 straight seasons. I don't buy the fact that he never had the opportunity. I wish all the best for Brandon.Does this mean we are looking for a goalie in the European draft or does this mean that Anderson is back?

Old
06-11-2012, 03:03 PM
Libbs

Hope traded to OS for a 4th round pick in 2013.

The way you guys talked him up...a 4th in nothing!

Old
06-11-2012, 03:14 PM
krauss72

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewStingfan View Post
I too am concerned about the Sting's lack of developing drafted goalies. However I am not sure this was totally unexpected. As I mentioned before I am sure Brandon is fine young man but he played in almost 50 games as a member of the Sting and his goals against average was amongst the lowest in the league for 2 straight seasons. I don't buy the fact that he never had the opportunity. I wish all the best for Brandon.Does this mean we are looking for a goalie in the European draft or does this mean that Anderson is back?
Goalie development is the issue I think we ALL can agree on that. Hell look at all the goalie trades and OA goalies we've brought in the last few years. ALL of them statistically have gone south. Hell, Maxwell went from .899 here to .929 in Mississauga with a much younger team. As did Passingham, Cullen, and Anderson. And the only certain thing around here is we will always trade for a new one, no matter the cost. Hell if we don't recoup some of the assets from the Anderson trade it will be just another example of wasted assets. Maybe we need to get real and admit we haven't had much of a defencively sound team in recent years and consequently, it effects all of our netminders. I hate to see Hopey go. Great lad and I do feel he will come back to haunt us. Let's see how he does with a more defencively structured team in front of him. I personally think we are targeting a European goalie as our next victim. Am not sure how good of one we can snag that low in the draft but time will tell.

Old
06-12-2012, 02:39 PM
bobbygore

Quote:
Originally Posted by krauss72 View Post
What a crock of **** that is. Am not happy. But it doesn't surprise me at all considering our pathetic record of developing goaltenders. Hopey's a class act lad and I wish him the best of luck in OS. Hell, whats one more to come back and bite us in the ass. And now we can go spend some more picks and get more rental goalies. Will this cycle ever end?
This move is pretty much status quo with how the Sting organization has operated ever since the current owners bought the franchise : take a highly rated goalie prospect , fail to develop him , and then unload him somewhere for a pick that is lower than the one the team used to draft him( the team also does this to forwards and defencemen - not limited to goalies). Then use a high draft pick (or picks in the case of Anderson) to aquire goalie help elsewhere .It's a never ending cycle.

This team was finally on the right track a couple of years ago IMO with the Brick by Brick initiative trying to copy what the successful teams do : bring in competent scouts , make keep good draft picks, and develop your players from within. That initiative lasted less than one year before the organization totally reversed its course and brought in Beaulieu who totally mortgaged the future. The mortgaging of the future brought the fans 6 playoff games and a first round elimination after missing the playoffs for 2 years. If players like Murphy , and Galchenyuk don't return this year the team will be lucky to make the playoffs this year. No wonder the team is a laughingstock around the league.

Old
06-13-2012, 09:35 PM
mkraayen

While many claim lack of developing goaltending has always been the Sting's downfall, can we just let this play out. Could/should Brandon Hope have played more this season? Yes, I totally agree he could have. But when your team is ravaged by injuries and struggling to string together wins, it becomes increasingly more difficult to put in a struggling goaltender. Had he been playing more, its definitely realistic his confidence in his own abilities would go up. As well, more playing time would have reassured him that the organized was confident in him - thus allowing him to relax a little & not feel he was always on a short leash. But when the Sting gave him opportunity, it typically did little to give reason they should trust him between the pipes. Given the fact the Sting were "all-in" this year, they needed to win now & play who gave the team their best chance at that result. Fact of the matter is, it went both ways, and made for an ongoing struggle. Hope's GAA & Save% were the lowest on the club in both his seasons here. A fresh start, was probably in the best interest of both Hope & the Sting. Both can move on. So let's as fans move on. Brandon was/is extremely well liked by the fans and put up with a lot while still keeping an honest & upbeat attitude from what we could tell, so it's understandable there's a little more hurt within the fanbase now that he has departed. In hindsight of the trade, lets allow the new season to begin & see how he fairs in Owen Sound before we even begin to breakdown the trade. And even then, his performance there, cannot equate to how he would play in Sarnia for the 2012-13 season. Rather than rip the organization that we support, how about we show some support and applaud them for moving him when it needed to be done - for the sake of both sides.

Old
06-13-2012, 10:30 PM
Sempron

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkraayen View Post
While many claim lack of developing goaltending has always been the Sting's downfall, can we just let this play out. Could/should Brandon Hope have played more this season? Yes, I totally agree he could have. But when your team is ravaged by injuries and struggling to string together wins, it becomes increasingly more difficult to put in a struggling goaltender. Had he been playing more, its definitely realistic his confidence in his own abilities would go up. As well, more playing time would have reassured him that the organized was confident in him - thus allowing him to relax a little & not feel he was always on a short leash. But when the Sting gave him opportunity, it typically did little to give reason they should trust him between the pipes. Given the fact the Sting were "all-in" this year, they needed to win now & play who gave the team their best chance at that result. Fact of the matter is, it went both ways, and made for an ongoing struggle. Hope's GAA & Save% were the lowest on the club in both his seasons here. A fresh start, was probably in the best interest of both Hope & the Sting. Both can move on. So let's as fans move on. Brandon was/is extremely well liked by the fans and put up with a lot while still keeping an honest & upbeat attitude from what we could tell, so it's understandable there's a little more hurt within the fanbase now that he has departed. In hindsight of the trade, lets allow the new season to begin & see how he fairs in Owen Sound before we even begin to breakdown the trade. And even then, his performance there, cannot equate to how he would play in Sarnia for the 2012-13 season. Rather than rip the organization that we support, how about we show some support and applaud them for moving him when it needed to be done - for the sake of both sides.
got to love damage control. but no support here for how we develop goalies until we actually develop one. the rumour is hopey wanted out just like ritchie and kujawinski and who next? and what excuse will we use for them. i remember similar bs comments about kujawinski and why he didn't deserve ice here. that bit us in the ass and will continue to do so for three more years. i wont be suprised at all when hopey does the same. for three more years. we have a history here. and it aint pretty. especially with goalies. someone said it earlier. all goalies who come here have there stats plummit. and then they go elsewhere and they improve dramaticly. soupy and maxie are examples.

Old
06-17-2012, 02:58 PM
dansk55

i see the hockey chat is back on...
Sorry to see Hope go. Good team player.
Did anyone every call say the newspaper in Saint John to see why he was shown the door? Heard it was because he wanted too to call all the shots...gee that sounds similar.
I am not sure how...you can coach, gM, scout, and be the arena manager too. seems like the only thing missing from his title is parking lot cop...but sure that will come too.
We have 2 years to wait, at least, or until the Ciccarelli kid is thru the process.

Luddy won't be back, nor Hottot, or Lucani. I wonder about Latta. Why would he travel 6 million miles to ride the pine. I would never have traded Kujo...no matter what the deal was...that was a complete hoodwink.
And it seems funny Herman and our English friend seem to appear simultaneously...
Anyway, wonder who the imports will be next year? Any thoughts?

Old
06-17-2012, 09:14 PM
mkraayen

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansk55 View Post
Luddy won't be back, nor Hottot, or Lucani. I wonder about Latta.
Regarding Hottot, is it your opinion, or have you heard from sources he won't be back as an OA?

Old
06-18-2012, 10:59 AM
bobbygore

Quote:
Regarding Hottot, is it your opinion, or have you heard from sources he won't be back as an OA?
Rumour is Hottot would rather play for the Legionaires than be one of the 92's dealt by the Sting. If the rumour is true it would limit Beaulieu's ability to recoup some of the multiple picks he gambled away. The Sting would be better off keeping Hottot and dealing someone else, rather than getting nothing for Hottot.

Old
06-18-2012, 12:02 PM
Tigers1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbygore View Post
Rumour is Hottot would rather play for the Legionaires than be one of the 92's dealt by the Sting. If the rumour is true it would limit Beaulieu's ability to recoup some of the multiple picks he gambled away. The Sting would be better off keeping Hottot and dealing someone else, rather than getting nothing for Hottot.
That would be incredibly surprising. Giving up a full year of school paid just to play close to home? Id be very surprised if that was the case.

Old
06-18-2012, 07:30 PM
SocksNjocks
Rookie User

Do you guys think Murphy and Anderson will be back? If not, ouch!
BowlYou is going to need a few more beers upstairs

Old
06-19-2012, 09:17 AM
krauss72

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocksNjocks View Post
Do you guys think Murphy and Anderson will be back? If not, ouch!
BowlYou is going to need a few more beers upstairs
Bang on OUCH! We could end up rebuilding all over again. Hell I hope the one and done in playoffs was worth mortgaging the future again. How many 93's 94's and 95's have we developed? We are way behind compared to other teams.

Old
06-19-2012, 02:18 PM
dansk55

Quote:
That too is reality...neither will be back

Old
06-20-2012, 08:20 AM
NewStingfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansk55 View Post
That too is reality...neither will be back
Your information is not reliable. According to the Sting heirarchy, Anderson is back 100%. Sarault, Charlitti, Hottot and Alberga will all be in camp. Luciani will not be invited back. I expect them to move Alberga before the season and carry 4 until the OA cut down date. I expect them to move Anderson at the deadline.

Old
06-20-2012, 01:36 PM
dansk55

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewStingfan View Post
Your information is not reliable. According to the Sting heirarchy, Anderson is back 100%. Sarault, Charlitti, Hottot and Alberga will all be in camp. Luciani will not be invited back. I expect them to move Alberga before the season and carry 4 until the OA cut down date. I expect them to move Anderson at the deadline.
I only mentioned Luddy, Luciani and Hottot. According to what they told me, they won't be back. I only have that at face value. Personally, I don't hold much stock in brain trust's assessment. Hottott's decision to play with Legion gives them a 10-game window should he care to play for them.
Expect Sarault, Charlitti and Anderson to be gone by Christmas depending on team.

Old
06-22-2012, 12:55 AM
StungbySting

If the NHL goes on strike JB might be able to save some face with the Spooner trade. Could you imagine a whole year of Gally, Yakki, Spooner, Sarault and Boucher. If they could pick up another top 6 forward in the Euro draft this team looks great on paper again.

Old
06-22-2012, 05:18 AM
krauss72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavy16 View Post
If the NHL goes on strike JB might be able to save some face with the Spooner trade. Could you imagine a whole year of Gally, Yakki, Spooner, Sarault and Boucher. If they could pick up another top 6 forward in the Euro draft this team looks great on paper again.
Yes on paper I would agree. But
with or without the lock out I don't think we will see Yakupov or Spooner return. And the rumour around town is we are going after another goalie with Euro draft.

Old
06-22-2012, 08:31 AM
gillyguzzler

Many here have seen these two guys play often. Who's better - Yakupov or Galenchyuk? If you were Edmonton and had to decide between both, which would you pick and why?

Old
06-22-2012, 10:11 AM
SarniaSting101

Quote:
Originally Posted by krauss72 View Post
Yes on paper I would agree. But
with or without the lock out I don't think we will see Yakupov or Spooner return. And the rumour around town is we are going after another goalie with Euro draft.
Does that clarify the speculation that Anderson will not be back?

Old
06-22-2012, 12:08 PM
dean youngblood82
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers1992 View Post
That would be incredibly surprising. Giving up a full year of school paid just to play close to home? Id be very surprised if that was the case.
I had heard (rumour only though) that Hottot was fed up midway through last season and was considering quiting hockey altogether so the Legionnaire comment would not surprise me one bit.

Old
06-22-2012, 01:45 PM
Sempron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean youngblood82 View Post
I had heard (rumour only though) that Hottot was fed up midway through last season and was considering quiting hockey altogether so the Legionnaire comment would not surprise me one bit.
herd the same rumour. continue to hear rumours of many not happy and wanting out even those who were considered the pulse of the team last year. issues need to be adressed and fixed if we hope to rebound from jacques disaster of last year. would be nice if we could trade are coach and gm but that would require some other team actualy wanting him. i am so sick of being the laughing stock of the league. at least kingston is headed in the right direction. and guelph and saggy figured it out and righted there ship. we spin are wheels and make the same mistakes year after year.

on a different note congradulations to galy and yaki. thank you for giving us sting fans something to be proud of. and thanks to mcqueen for bringing them both here.

Closed Thread