HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Jordan Schroeder Ready To Seize Opportunity With Canucks

Old
06-11-2012, 12:09 PM
Tiranis

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck 6 View Post
I don't see why so many people have Schroeder pencilled in as our #3C. Didn't we learn anything from the Hodgson fiasco? I understand many of us justify us by saying Schroeder is better defensively and a better skater than Hodgson, but being good defensively at the AHL level and NHL level are two completely different things. I still don't see AV going into the post-season next year with a 5'9" rookie centerman on his 3rd "shutdown" line, do you? I personally don't see where Schroeder fits unless he can play wing next to Kesler. I imagine he'll get his shot as Kesler is out for a bit, but it wouldn't shock me at all to see Gillis trade Schroeder if he has some success this coming season just as he did with Hodgson last season. I think Schroeder's future with the Canucks depends on how well he can adapt to wing.
1) Kesler is starting the year injured.
2) Hodgson was bad defensively in the AHL — whatever the differences between the AHL and the NHL, Schroeder has shown he's willing to adapt and learn. It doesn't mean he's going to be a shutdown center right away (or more like ever) but I think the team would be happy enough if he can come out ahead in possession stats (which Hodgson never did) and also if he doesn't complain about ice-time constantly.

Tiranis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 12:11 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
We have to go with Schroeder as our 3C. We need to go with 3 offensive lines in order to survive. This year proved that. Once we turned the third line into a defensive line, our entire offense imploded.

y2kcanucks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 12:17 PM
PRNuck
Wow. What a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
We have to go with Schroeder as our 3C. We need to go with 3 offensive lines in order to survive. This year proved that. Once we turned the third line into a defensive line, our entire offense imploded.
To that comment AV chuckles condescendingly, chews gum, and says hoarsely "I won the last two President's Trophies, I think I know what I'm doing". /cue canned laughter from terrible Vancouver media

PRNuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 12:23 PM
lefty2time*

from watching highlights of him over the season....i noticed that he always has his head up and on a swivel.

This is maybe why a guy his size can actually play

He looks mature out there too..hard to believe he isnt 26 or 27.
He'll get a long hard look at training camp. He's paid his dues.

lefty2time* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 12:25 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRNuck View Post
To that comment AV chuckles condescendingly, chews gum, and says hoarsely "I won the last two President's Trophies, I think I know what I'm doing". /cue canned laughter from terrible Vancouver media
He also got us in the record books as being the only team in history to accomplish that feat and not win a Stanley Cup

06-11-2012, 12:55 PM
thecupismine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
2) Hodgson was bad defensively in the AHL whatever the differences between the AHL and the NHL, Schroeder has shown he's willing to adapt and learn. It doesn't mean he's going to be a shutdown center right away (or more like ever) but I think the team would be happy enough if he can come out ahead in possession stats (which Hodgson never did) and also if he doesn't complain about ice-time constantly.
Not only that, but the Canucks need a center who can play on the second unit powerplay. If Kesler (when he gets healthy) is going to be put back with the Sedins on the number one unit, the team needs a good offensive center to set everything up on the second unit. Two years ago the Canucks were able to get away with not having one as the first unit dominated to a ridiculous degree, but as we saw last year when Hodgson left when that first unit dries up there really isn't much on the second unit.

thecupismine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 03:18 PM
BATJAM

Thanks for the vid feebs.

To anyone who watched the Wolves this year, how does Schroeder handle contact?

From the footage, his size didn't seem to be much of an issue in the offensive zone as he has good transitional skating, is very evasive in the slot, has shifty stick-work to recover pucks and is tenacious in the corners. But that was a highlight package...

Because of his size, does he get rocked any harder than others by big hits? Also, do other teams try to key-in on him with more contact/clutching/grabbing, and if so, how does that affect his game? The highlight package showed some solid back-checks and him stripping pucks off forwards. Is this common? How often does he get out-muscled on d-zone coverage? Last question, what about his game keeps him from being productive on the wing?

Thanks...

Really, really like what I saw of him from that highlight package along with what some of you have been reporting all season.

BATJAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 03:40 PM
Tiranis

I watched around 15 games this past season so not as many as thefeebster, but I'll try to be helpful:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BATJAM View Post
Because of his size, does he get rocked any harder than others by big hits?
He gets rocked every once in a while but he recovers well. I've never seen him back down after a big hit.

Quote:
Also, do other teams try to key-in on him with more contact/clutching/grabbing, and if so, how does that affect his game?
I think he does a pretty good job of avoiding those types of situations. As you pointed out, he's a good, shifty skater and his stickwork is excellent so he's generally gone before they have the opportunity to manhandle him. That said, he's actually quite good at using his body to protect the puck — even from much bigger players. He gets outmuscled at times, but yeah he's not bad in this area — better than Raymond.

Quote:
The highlight package showed some solid back-checks and him stripping pucks off forwards. Is this common?
In the games I watched: yes. There's a shift in the defensive zone in one of the games just prior to the playoffs that really impressed me and I'll try to get it on YouTube.

Quote:
How often does he get out-muscled on d-zone coverage?
Not that often. He's very strong, not just for his size either. From the times I've seen him walking around in regular clothes on various Wolves footage, he looks far more built than Hodgson or even a lot of Canucks for that matter. Plus he's strong on his skates.

The thing he has improved on this year is that he hounds the puck more than he used to which helps when he does get outmuscled. Last year he would just give up and wait for the puck to come back, this year he actively fights for it and goes into all the dirty areas. You can see some of that in the video.

I think a lot of us wanted him to develop that part of his game (I know it was mentioned a lot last offseason) because that's what makes guys like MSL and Ennis so successful and it certainly seems like he's tried to do that.

Old
06-11-2012, 04:09 PM
dps

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefeebster View Post
So I promised a highlight video...

Had around 25 minutes of Schroeder only footage, cut it to 6! Anyways, disclaimer is that its mainly goals and assists. As Tiranis said, if you want a more encompassing video, check the one up top.

And as always, recommend watching on the youtube page as you get the larger video and the way it was made to be seen.
Thanks for that.

He's certainly looking good, I like his stick work while checking and protecting the puck, his playmaking/vision with traffic around the net, his shot seems pretty good, AND he one times it! (Nucks don't do this enough IMO). He also seems to have pretty good chemistry with Sweatt (judging by that 6 min high light video lol).

Off topic, How is Sweatt coming along, do you guys think there is a chance we see him at all in 12-13?

dps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 04:27 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
He also got us in the record books as being the only team in history to accomplish that feat and not win a Stanley Cup
Records are meant to be broken.

craigcaulks* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 05:10 PM
thefeebster

Quote:
Thanks for the vid feebs.

To anyone who watched the Wolves this year, how does Schroeder handle contact?

Because of his size, does he get rocked any harder than others by big hits? Also, do other teams try to key-in on him with more contact/clutching/grabbing, and if so, how does that affect his game? The highlight package showed some solid back-checks and him stripping pucks off forwards. Is this common? How often does he get out-muscled on d-zone coverage? Last question, what about his game keeps him from being productive on the wing?
No problem. =D

I feel he handles contact fairly well for a guy his size. If Raymond is a benchmark, Schroeder is like Crosby, so much stronger on his skates, its not even funny.

But he still gets taken down. He was rocked, i'd estimate 10 or fewer times during the year, but he got up from them and usually drew a penalty from it. I'd say, i am more concerned about Rodin's propensity to get rocked. Schroeder might get hit hard, but when i see Rodin go down, its almost always a close call to injury and very dangerous looking. Likely why he ended the season injured.

I'd say there was one game against the Rampage that stood out to me. Schroeder was having a bit of trouble because they matched Nolan Yonkman up against JS. Yonkman's 6'6" and plays like it. He was mauling him a lot. If clutching and grabbing are back, it could be an issue, but the majority of the time, can't say it's been something to be concerned about in the AHL level. Also, there was once where Schroeder went to go hit him and he knocked Yonkman down to his knees. A rare occurrence but nice to see.

The backchecks are common. If they kept track of TA and GA in the AHL, he most certainly would be on the positive side of that.

He will still get outmuscled at times, but its no more frequent than other players. He protects the puck well along the boards, but usually tries to skate out of trouble or pass the puck quickly enough to avoid a lot of these situations.

Quote:
There's a shift in the defensive zone in one of the games just prior to the playoffs that really impressed me and I'll try to get it on YouTube.
If you can narrow down the game or team, i could probably upload it. Or do a video strictly on overall play as i think some others marked?

thefeebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 05:47 PM
BATJAM

great feedback... Thanks.

I think the kid has shown some tremendous hockey IQ and skill, all while adding some leadership attributes of strong 2way team-play, dedication to improving on and off the ice, and selflessness during goal celebrations (I personally hate over-celebrations and I like that he points to the passer on many of his goals).

Anyway, I think he'll thrive in the NHL with smarter and more skilled players around him. He and Kassian seem like a perfect fit, with a pure sniper or maybe Jensen on LW to round out the future line.

The ball is in AV's court

BATJAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 05:55 PM
Luck 6
\\_______

Quote:
2) Hodgson was bad defensively in the AHL whatever the differences between the AHL and the NHL, Schroeder has shown he's willing to adapt and learn. It doesn't mean he's going to be a shutdown center right away (or more like ever) but I think the team would be happy enough if he can come out ahead in possession stats (which Hodgson never did) and also if he doesn't complain about ice-time constantly.
1) As mentioned, he should start the year as our #2C. When Kesler returns, I'm not sure he'll stick all season as the #3C. I think it's more likely that he'll transfer to wing or be back in the AHL.

2) You watch more Wolves games than I do, I'm fully aware of that, but every article I ever read about Hodgson at the AHL level had him pegged as a player that was atleast above average defensively. Schroeder is better, I get that, but I don't think that's enough for AV to trust him as his #3C. I have a feeling it will be an issue, and I'd be very shocked to see him as our #3C going into the post season. Maybe I'm wrong and Schroeder dazzles us all including AV, I just don't think it's the most likely scenario. Schroeder hasn't even played an NHL game yet, atleast Hodgson had SOME experience the year prior before he was placed in such a critical role.

Luck 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 06:26 PM
A Sequel to Failure

Quote:

2) You watch more Wolves games than I do, I'm fully aware of that, but every article I ever read about Hodgson at the AHL level had him pegged as a player that was atleast above average defensively. Schroeder is better, I get that, but I don't think that's enough for AV to trust him as his #3C. I have a feeling it will be an issue, and I'd be very shocked to see him as our #3C going into the post season. Maybe I'm wrong and Schroeder dazzles us all including AV, I just don't think it's the most likely scenario. Schroeder hasn't even played an NHL game yet, atleast Hodgson had SOME experience the year prior before he was placed in such a critical role.
Lappy with hansen, higgins was pretty dynamite as a third line, and I think that's what we're gonna see in the beginning (unless Manny can get it together, but that's best case scenario). To me the question becomes, after Kesler comes back, would you keep him as a 4th line center (maybe with Kassian, if he doesn't step up to a top 6 role)?

A Sequel to Failure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 07:03 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Can you point me to the articles by any chance? I'm going to discount MS since he always criticizes our prospects in the AHL, but even orcatown last season reported over and over that Hodgson's defensive play was weak (and if anything he was harsher than I was).

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefeebster View Post
If you can narrow down the game or team, i could probably upload it. Or do a video strictly on overall play as i think some others marked?
I think it was the Rampage towards the end of the season (not the playoffs), not sure if it was their last game against them or the one before. I have it myself, it's just a matter of finding the exact shift. He loses a face-off in the defensive zone, then lifts the guys stick right after and steals the puck, plays it to the D, the D turns it over, then Schroeder once again checks that same guy, lifts his stick and pressures him out of the zone. It was an impressive shift because of the complete size mismatch.

Old
06-11-2012, 08:15 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

vCash: 250
Great work as usual, thanks for doing this feebs!

Quote:
Can you point me to the articles by any chance? I'm going to discount MS since he always criticizes our prospects in the AHL, but even orcatown last season reported over and over that Hodgson's defensive play was weak (and if anything he was harsher than I was).

I think it was the Rampage towards the end of the season (not the playoffs), not sure if it was their last game against them or the one before. I have it myself, it's just a matter of finding the exact shift. He loses a face-off in the defensive zone, then lifts the guys stick right after and steals the puck, plays it to the D, the D turns it over, then Schroeder once again checks that same guy, lifts his stick and pressures him out of the zone. It was an impressive shift because of the complete size mismatch.
MS seems to often talk in terms of absolutes when talking about prospects, though I could have remembered incorrectly. Not saying that it's wrong, since the odds are odds, and he's well-respected for his hockey knowledge. Other posters like you and thefeebster will take stats in perspective and put them in context. Call it biased rationalizing or being overly optimistic, but I like to think that our prospects aren't as bad as it's been suggested sometimes, and that a guy like Schroeder would produce more when put with better players in the NHL.

Orcatown's reports sound harsh sometimes, but I'm not going to judge since he's watched many of their games before, and I did agree with many of his game reviews when it came to the Canucks.

On a different note, the Sedins IMO could learn to do the same thing that JS learned, and that is to hound the puck right away as soon as you lose it. It's all part of being hard on the puck no matter what zone you're in. Would make them much, much more effective in tight contests and that aspect of their game - plus their defensive play in general - would put them over the top as very good two-way players. I've seen this with Kopitar these playoffs and it was all from Terry Murray developing his defense. If anything, I think AV gives them too much slack in that regard.

vanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 11:03 PM
hockeywoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post

On a different note, the Sedins IMO could learn to do the same thing that JS learned, and that is to hound the puck right away as soon as you lose it. It's all part of being hard on the puck no matter what zone you're in. Would make them much, much more effective in tight contests and that aspect of their game - plus their defensive play in general - would put them over the top as very good two-way players. I've seen this with Kopitar these playoffs and it was all from Terry Murray developing his defense. If anything, I think AV gives them too much slack in that regard.
Agree with this. I think the Sedins should be put out in a variety of situations. They should make an effort to work on their backchecking. They'd be much more complete players this way. No more easy offensive zone starts!

hockeywoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 11:04 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Great work as usual, thanks for doing this feebs!

MS seems to often talk in terms of absolutes when talking about prospects, though I could have remembered incorrectly. Not saying that it's wrong, since the odds are odds, and he's well-respected for his hockey knowledge. Other posters like you and thefeebster will take stats in perspective and put them in context. Call it biased rationalizing or being overly optimistic, but I like to think that our prospects aren't as bad as it's been suggested sometimes, and that a guy like Schroeder would produce more when put with better players in the NHL.

Orcatown's reports sound harsh sometimes, but I'm not going to judge since he's watched many of their games before, and I did agree with many of his game reviews when it came to the Canucks.

To the Sedin's hounding the puck after you lose it means, stop moving your feet and hook with your stick.

Sorry. I'm just mad right now.

arsmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 11:18 PM
Scurr

Quote:
On a different note, the Sedins IMO could learn to do the same thing that JS learned, and that is to hound the puck right away as soon as you lose it.
I thought the twins did a better job of this in this years playoffs. They've been saying for a while now that they don't want to change their game for the playoffs. It's true that they shouldn't be trying to be something they are not but regardless of your "style" you need a whole new level of battle in the playoffs. Hopefully they've figured that out.

Scurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 11:25 PM
Wisp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
I thought the twins did a better job of this in this years playoffs. They've been saying for a while now that they don't want to change their game for the playoffs. It's true that they shouldn't be trying to be something they are not but regardless of your "style" you need a whole new level of battle in the playoffs. Hopefully they've figured that out.
Yeah, I agree Henrik's puck pusuit was much stronger this playoffs. Its not much of a comfort, but I thought he had found his playoff mode.

Not much of a consolation when the situation was utterly stacked against us otherwise, but no other forward registered more points against the kings than Henrik did. If only we had another player just like him that was available to play...

Wisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 11:35 PM
A Sequel to Failure

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
To the Sedin's hounding the puck after you lose it means, stop moving your feet and hook with your stick.

Sorry. I'm just mad right now.
Yea, me too.

But they're probably gonna regress into 2nd line players before they call it quits (I think they'll be honest with themselves and do it while they can still produce), so I don't envision when they'll actually try to pick up that skill. Plus, they're not fast enough anyways to be effective at it.

A Sequel to Failure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 11:55 PM
carrotshirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogburn View Post
I predict he literally sets the world on fire in preseason and his first 10-15 games, but then we pull Kesler out of rehab early, trade Schroeder for peanuts to a team that needs him, and Kesler is injured again.

Based on previous experience.
I think if we can get assets back for an arsonist like that it is time to cut ties. That pyro vibe could divide the room.

carrotshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 01:06 AM
Wisp

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrotshirt View Post
I think if we can get assets back for an arsonist like that it is time to cut ties. That pyro vibe could divide the room.
Well, divide into the part that's on fire and the part that isn't.

hahah. Literally.
http://theoatmeal.com/comics/literally

Wisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 02:05 AM
TheDiver*

As long as his dad doesn't stick his nose in, whine about ice time, and he doesn't change agents like underwear, i think he'll be fine!

TheDiver* is offline   Reply With Quote