HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Burke Interview (recent)

Old
06-11-2012, 01:08 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
Wouldn't have won the Cup otherwise.

And Randy Carlyle dislikes Eastern Europeans.
Exactly and who is our head coach now ?

Burke has said he plans on going out this summer and getting Randy the players he needs and wants, to play a game style similarly to the way Burke prefers.

06-11-2012, 01:09 PM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
Western Europe is a different situation and the lure of the KHL for Swedes, Fins etc as it is for Eastern block countries, as they also have elite leagues in their own home countries and return there if their NHL careers don't pan out.

Eastern Europe verses Western Europe is a vastly different situation, and there is not a long history of Swedes/Fins etc defecting to rival leagues.

Actions speak louder than words and Burke has been purging the Eastern European content of the Leafs since he arrived, and replacing them predominantly through the draft, trades and UFA signings with NA born players.

Kulemin situation is the next one to watch as he becomes a RFA. Last time Kully was a RFA the contract talks were prickly at best. If Burke can't get him resigned to the $$ he likes, than Nikolai could find himself joining his Eastern Euro former mates with a new team next season after being traded. If in a contract stalemate the KHL which has a team that plays out of his hometown that might be an option.
Something to watch for, Grabo also, though someone will chime in he is BelaRUSSIAN. Leafs have till July 1 to trade him before his NTC kicks in at 5.5M.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 01:14 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Exactly and who is our head coach now ?

Burke has said he plans on going out this summer and getting Randy the players he needs and wants, to play a game style similarly to the way Burke prefers.
Good idea, in other words nationality doesn't really count.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 01:17 PM
Interactif

Quote:
You can't win a cup without Canadians. No one has yet, and they never will.

Old
06-11-2012, 01:18 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Something to watch for, Grabo also, though someone will chime in he is BelaRUSSIAN. Leafs have till July 1 to trade him before his NTC kicks in at 5.5M.
Burke couldn't afford to let Grabs walk away this summer for free, when Leafs center position already looks like a dogs breakfast even with him.

Technically Grabs was born in Germany, similarly to say how Galchenyuk was born in the USA, despite having BelaRussian roots through his parents.

Fortunately for Grabs he also plays the game with heart, desire, grit and determination resembling a stereotypical NA player, which does fit into a Burke preferred style of player. However as you say if the right player hit the market ie Ryan Getzlaf then Grabs should be prepared to pack his bags as signing a new contract is not a guarantee he is staying.

Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 01:25 PM
IBeL13f

Quote:
Has a team ever won with only Canadians?

IBeL13f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 01:27 PM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBeL13f View Post
I'm the one that asks the questions here.

Old
06-11-2012, 01:28 PM
Confucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebluemachine View Post
Russia is part of Europe, you're welcome.
Thanks, I always thought most of it was in Asia...

Confucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 01:30 PM
Interactif

Quote:
Burke couldn't afford to let Grabs walk away this summer for free, when Leafs center position already looks like a dogs breakfast even with him.

Technically Grabs was born in Germany, similarly to say how Galchenyuk was born in the USA, despite having BelaRussian roots through his parents.

Fortunately for Grabs he also plays the game with heart, desire, grit and determination resembling a stereotypical NA player, which does fit into a Burke preferred style of player. However as you say if the right player hit the market ie Ryan Getzlaf then Grabs should be prepared to pack his bags as signing a new contract is not a guarantee he is staying.
I wouldn't be surprised, Burke said the main priority is to get bigger this season. Grabo has courage, I grant you this. But he's not very effective physically. He's got good skills and only average hockey sense with a big contract. I wouldn't buy a Toronto property if I were him.

Old
06-11-2012, 01:32 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
There, you just pointed out how clueless this thread is in one sentence.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 01:33 PM
Confucius

Quote:
Pretty sure it's happened in the O 6 days. I can remember when some dude named Carpenter was the Only American in the league.

Old
06-11-2012, 01:45 PM
Joey Hoser

Quote:
Is this supposed to be serious? Pretty sure there has never been a team at all that was without Canadians.

Joey Hoser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 01:49 PM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Hoser View Post
Is this supposed to be serious? Pretty sure there has never been a team at all that was without Canadians.
I am having a little fun with a few here, but it's also true. Canadians are still predominately make up the majority of players on a team.

Old
06-11-2012, 01:53 PM
Interactif

Quote:
There, you just pointed out how clueless this thread is in one sentence.
That's what you can expect with gems like this one.

Quote:

Old
06-11-2012, 01:57 PM
IBeL13f

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stix and Stones View Post
Pretty sure it's happened in the O 6 days. I can remember when some dude named Carpenter was the Only American in the league.
I did a quick search before asking, since I'm only 22 and have no clue about when the League started having more Americans and Euros, but I guess there have been non-Canadians in the League since 1917-18, so it's very likely that every Cup winner has had at least one on their roster.

I can't imagine there's been one in the past 70-80+ years, though, and you really shouldn't need to go back much more than that to make the point

Old
06-11-2012, 02:01 PM
IBeL13f

Quote:
I am having a little fun with a few here, but it's also true. Canadians are still predominately make up the majority of players on a team.
And they most likely always will. With the sheer volume of kids in minor hockey associations here compared to anywhere else in the world, it's bound to happen. When was the last time Canada didn't have the best roster (on paper) at a big international hockey tournament?

Old
06-11-2012, 02:06 PM
Confucius

Quote:
I did a quick search before asking, since I'm only 22 and have no clue about when the League started having more Americans and Euros, but I guess there have been non-Canadians in the League since 1917-18, so it's very likely that every Cup winner has had at least one on their roster.

I can't imagine there's been one in the past 70-80+ years, though, and you really shouldn't need to go back much more than that to make the point
Below is the link to American players in the NHL. There are a couple of years where only one American played. European players didn't appear until the 70's. Except for Mikita. So yeah plenty of allo Canadian teams in the 06 era.
http://www.quanthockey.com/nhl/natio...-56-stats.html

Old
06-11-2012, 02:08 PM
thebluemachine*
go ahead, do it

Quote:
Thanks, I always thought most of it was in Asia...
It's territory does (75%) but over 75% of the population lives in Central Russia which encompasses 40% of Europe.

thebluemachine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 02:17 PM
HocKEyFrEaK99

i am a little afraid of russian players. look at the case of Colborne right now. i still have the feeling that he is developing slowly into a decent player but, if he was Russian, either this past season or this coming up one he would get offered twice the money to go back home instead of the AHL. but when talking about guys like Grigorenko, i would take the chance.

HocKEyFrEaK99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 02:33 PM
IBeL13f

Quote:
Below is the link to American players in the NHL. There are a couple of years where only one American played. European players didn't appear until the 70's. Except for Mikita. So yeah plenty of allo Canadian teams in the 06 era.
http://www.quanthockey.com/nhl/natio...-56-stats.html
Thanks, I appreciate that. Yeah, it looks like there were never more than 4 or 5 Americans in any given season (and usually 3 or under) up until the expansion era, so you're most likely right, plenty of all-Canadian winners back in the day.

Old
06-11-2012, 02:38 PM
Confucius

Quote:
Thanks, I appreciate that. Yeah, it looks like there were never more than 4 or 5 Americans in any given season (and usually 3 or under) up until the expansion era, so you're most likely right, plenty of all-Canadian winners back in the day.
Amazing how far other countries have come, in just one lifetime. It's all in fun and you're welcome dude.

Old
06-11-2012, 02:45 PM
paulster2626
Shape up or ship out

vCash: 400
What's concerning is the lack of African players in the NHL. The League is pretty much racist.

paulster2626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 02:56 PM
Confucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
What's concerning is the lack of African players in the NHL. The League is pretty much racist.
It's more of an economic thing. Unfortunately hockey is expensive. It's really a lack of players coming from poor families.

Old
06-11-2012, 03:03 PM
cookie
Fresh From The Oven

Quote:
It's more of an economic thing. Unfortunately hockey is expensive. It's really a lack of players coming from poor families.
Could be that or it could be that the only ice on the continent is atop Mt. Kilimanjaro (or so I've heard). Hockey is more popular in places where it is possible to play it. Nevertheless, many players of all kinds of skill sets and who can trace their roots back to Africa have made their way to the NHL.

cookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 03:04 PM
Leaf Fan Since 93*

Quote:
I wouldn't be surprised, Burke said the main priority is to get bigger this season. Grabo has courage, I grant you this. But he's not very effective physically. He's got good skills and only average hockey sense with a big contract. I wouldn't buy a Toronto property if I were him.
1. I really don't think Grabo has as much courage as you think he does, he's more energetic then anything else. Grabo puts himself in positions where he gets leveled 2-3x a game, sure he gets up but then again pretty much any player who gets socked gets up and keeps going. If Grabo had courage you'd see him levelling some hits, you'd see him block some shots and you'd also see him take on other players who mess with his team, the fact is he does none of those things

2. Grabo's best skill is his speed, all his scoring chances and the ones he sets up for his linemates generate from his blazing speed. His shot is accurate and quick but it's not a laser and no goalie is going to cream their pants when he unleashes it. Grabos' an ok passer when he elects to use his linemates, but a lot of the time he's content with going 1on3 which leads to a turnover or him getting layed out on his arse.

3.I have to disagree about him not settling here and this is why- Grabo was signed to a long term deal and really wants to be here, it would be bad PR to just trade him this soon after he reinked a contract. Not just that he's a very decent 2nd line centre and if we trade him we really have nobody who can step in and take his place, it would be a horrible mistake to unleash him without any backup.

Leaf Fan Since 93* is offline   Reply With Quote