HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

MacT leaves Canucks to re-join Oilers

Old
06-11-2012, 12:46 PM
The Horvatian One
228 LBS of Pain

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
No compensation allowed anymore (though even under the "old rules" - I don't think there would be compensation in the case of a "promotion").
I recall Bob McKenzie saying that MacT was signed under a 2 year deal and that there would be a compensation should leave to another organization. Perhaps the deal was if it was for a coaching role and not a mgmt role.

The Horvatian One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 12:55 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
The Modfather

vCash: 50
We do not get compensation for people leaving the organization anymore. That was eliminated in the new CBA.

Mr. Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 01:26 PM
Wisp

His Wolves team underachieved in the AHL team this year. And he gets an NHL job for it? Uh. Oh Edmonton...

Wisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 01:44 PM
gurfling

I'm not sure I quite understand what MacT is doing. If he wants to get back to the NHL as a head coach, isn't doing a good job in the AHL basically a prerequisite. I thought he did quite a solid job this year, and another year would probably get him some NHL opportunities.

Taking a job as a Senior VP is kind of wierd, looks like he wants to get into management as opposed to coaching, just seems like an odd switch at this point.

gurfling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 02:17 PM
Wisp

His season in Chicago wasn't solid. The team underachieved. I imagine he accepted the other job because he'd written off hopes of coaching in the NHL again.

Old
06-11-2012, 02:20 PM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

vCash: 833
ElliottPap:
Quote:
Canuck asst GM Lorne Henning says Scott Arniel 'would be on our list, for sure' to replace Craig MacTavish as coach of AHL Wolves farm team.

Taelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 02:23 PM
Wisp

That'd be pretty good. Arniel was done in by bad goal tending more than anything.

Old
06-11-2012, 02:47 PM
Verviticus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8er View Post
Yay!!! I for one am very happy he is gone. Never liked his " dazed and confused" look! It like he escaped from the movie of the same name. Not only that, he had Oilers tattooed to his ass. Buh bye macky. I much prefer arneil. Just seems so calm and knowledgeable
yeah man i hate it when people are overqualified and highly competent because they look funny!!! this is how i hire all of my employees

oh whoops i went out of business again

Verviticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 02:47 PM
kootenayfan
HFBoards Sponsor

I have often wondered if Trevor Linden has any aspirations to coach? He was a great leader on the ice and i think he would be good at coaching.

kootenayfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 02:54 PM
FacepalmBenning
70 ON THE DOLLAR!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kootenayfan View Post
I have often wondered if Trevor Linden has any aspirations to coach? He was a great leader on the ice and i think he would be good at coaching.
Ugh, no thanks to Stan Smyl 2.0. Linden just needs to hang around and look pretty, I want him to do nothing more with this club.

Also, this kind of makes me happy. MacT was mediocre in Chicago and when Edmonton re-signed Tambo a lot of their fans expressed bringing MacT back to their organization as their biggest fear. I'm excited to go over to their thread and watch the chaos unfold.

FacepalmBenning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 02:56 PM
PRNuck
Retain Kevin Lowe

Quote:
Trev seems pretty happy in his post hockey career of real estate/gym business ventures, cycling, hiking, ski touring and just being awesome in general. I do often wish he'd stop by the dressing room and put his foot in Kesler's ass and tell him to grow up though.

PRNuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 03:20 PM
Wisp

So I know we're all wary of him after his disastrous run with the Blue Jackets, but I'd be really happy to have Arniel back in the system. He's a legitimately good coach and I wouldn't feel uncomfortable if he had to step in for Vigneault (Mactavish I was really squeamish about).

Old
06-11-2012, 03:30 PM
PRNuck
Retain Kevin Lowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisp View Post
So I know we're all wary of him after his disastrous run with the Blue Jackets, but I'd be really happy to have Arniel back in the system. He's a legitimately good coach and I wouldn't feel uncomfortable if he had to step in for Vigneault (Mactavish I was really squeamish about).
Yeah Arniel got railroaded there, he's an excellent coach.

PRNuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 03:35 PM
Royal Canuck
Ronnie Hockey!

vCash: 814
Quote:
That wouldn't be bad, start him out as an assistant coach or something and see how he does. But it seems like he likes to fly under the radar. If he was going to work anywhere with the Canucks it would be with their Canuck Place organization or in their fundraising for the BC Children's Hospital. He values more off the ice than on the ice.

Twitter |HFBoards Contact | Blog
PSN - TBennz
"You're never a loser until you quit trying. " - Mike Ditka

Last edited by Royal Canuck: 06-11-2012 at 03:48 PM.
Royal Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 03:37 PM
Eddy Punch Clock
Go Herbvat

Quote:
My impression I get from him from the interviews I've heard over the past few years is that he is just enjoying life right now and is satisfied with being a "civilian"

My guess is that the politics that occurred while he was with the NHLPA left a bitter taste in his mouth and I'd be surprised if he got too involved with the management side of hockey either.

He's a great speaker. He should be in broadcasting if anything hockey.

Eddy Punch Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 05:40 PM
sk8er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verviticus View Post
yeah man i hate it when people are overqualified and highly competent because they look funny!!! this is how i hire all of my employees

In what universe is he overqualified and highly competent??? The wolves underperformed this year under his expert guidance. Was that because he was so overqualified he was just too far above those players? Gimme a break.........why didn't the soilers hire him as their new coach if he is so wonderful.....oh wait, they dumped him a few years ago.......

sk8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 05:56 PM
vanuck
#Gaunce4GM

^ And they promptly went on to 3 years of suckage when they let him go.

Dang, was hoping we could have at least kept MacT in some capacity, in the same role that Scotty Bowman had for the Hawks in their run (advising on tactics, strategy).

Edit: Interestingly enough, if he's going to be doing any pro scouting this might turn out good for the Oil as the type of players they need right now (defensive forwards & D-men) are the types he is familiar with.

Last edited by vanuck: 06-11-2012 at 06:02 PM.
vanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 06:03 PM
AvantiCanada*

I hope Scott Arniel gets the job in Chicago...

any word on who might replace him?

AvantiCanada* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 06:08 PM
Frank Garrett

He was just doing reconnaissance work for the Oilers anyway. ****ing spy.

Frank Garrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 06:09 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
The Modfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balls Mahoney View Post
Ugh, no thanks to Stan Smyl 2.0. Linden just needs to hang around and look pretty, I want him to do nothing more with this club.

Also, this kind of makes me happy. MacT was mediocre in Chicago and when Edmonton re-signed Tambo a lot of their fans expressed bringing MacT back to their organization as their biggest fear. I'm excited to go over to their thread and watch the chaos unfold.
To the first part - there's no gurantee Linden would be as bad as Smyl was as a coach. Some guys are suited for it, some aren't. I don't think Linden would do terribly, but I also wouldn't start him off with a role as important as a head coach.

That said, Linden seems very content with his situation in retirement. I get the feeling he's kind of expanding his mind beyond hockey, as that was all he had been consumed with for the first 39 years of his life. So good for him.

Mr. Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 06:18 PM
Lonny Bohonos
$15mil Mentor-pede

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verviticus View Post

Funny thing is people seem to have no problem when the same type of thing is said about AV.... for the umpteenth time.

Lonny Bohonos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 07:54 PM
sk8er

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post
^ And they promptly went on to 3 years of suckage when they let him go.

Dang, was hoping we could have at least kept MacT in some capacity, in the same role that Scotty Bowman had for the Hawks in their run (advising on tactics, strategy).

Edit: Interestingly enough, if he's going to be doing any pro scouting this might turn out good for the Oil as the type of players they need right now (defensive forwards & D-men) are the types he is familiar with.
Yes, well, the suckage could also mean that the guy they hired was even worse the mctavish.

sk8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 08:09 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisp View Post
His season in Chicago wasn't solid. The team underachieved. I imagine he accepted the other job because he'd written off hopes of coaching in the NHL again.
Underachieved? Seriously?

Tiranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 08:17 PM
Wisp

Yes. That team struggled all season and didn't meet expectations.

Do people hate AV so much that they'll pretend MacT did a great job just to get rid of him? Because he didn't.

Old
06-11-2012, 08:31 PM
ProstheticConscience
Supertank 15/16

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRNuck View Post
Trev seems pretty happy in his post hockey career of real estate/gym business ventures, cycling, hiking, ski touring and just being awesome in general. I do often wish he'd stop by the dressing room and put his foot in Kesler's ass and tell him to grow up though.
Bolded x 100.

But yeah, Linden's a pretty busy guy. Can imagine the NHLPA gig gave him his fill of the business side of the NHL.

ProstheticConscience is offline   Reply With Quote