HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Phoenix Coyotes
Notices

Yandle for Staal Rumour (via Eklund)

Old
06-10-2012, 07:51 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kihekah19 View Post
After all buxy's continued commitment to trading Yandle is nothing short of insanity.
Exactly, that's why I keep making cracks about it somehow being personal because I can't explain any other reason for why the guy is obsessed with getting rid of Yandle.

Sinurgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 09:28 PM
DesertDawg

I thought the premise of trading Staal was that the Pens couldn't maintain a salary cap when they needed to re-sign Crosby, Malkin, and Staal. Trading a player who make more than Staaql to a team that already has 4 D'men making $3.5 (Letang who will be a UFA in 2 years, when Malkin does) isn't very prudent. Now if the Pens want to lower their cap, maybe GMDM should look into bringing back Michalek.

DesertDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 10:40 PM
Redcoyote
Hungry

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevyD View Post
^^^^^^^

And, correct me if I am wrong, Yandle hasn't exactly excelled in the playoffs.

Perhaps I am "misremembering" but I recall posters wishing for a Top Line Center during the season and playoffs. Keeping in mind that this is a weak D-Heavy draft and financially the Coyotes cannot afford a high priced free agent, unless you are willing to trade a quality player, how do you expect the Coyotes to obtain a Top Line Center?
You are correct, he may have put up points but there was no shortage of defensive mistakes or bad decisions that we were complaining about. It seemed most prominent against chicago. Not sure why anyone would want to sugar coat that.

Redcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 09:06 AM
PhoPhan

This is really simple, guys. Yandle is by far the best offensive defenseman on this team. He might even be the most important player to the team's offense overall. OEL might be a better all-around defenseman, but Yandle's offense if much more developed right now, and it's not like he's a liability in his own end. Joe Corvo would be a massive, massive step down, and if Yandle isn't replaced at all, you're not just scoring fewer goals, but you're probably spending a lot more time in your own zone, which means more goals against. For such a defensively focused team, having a few guys like Yandle is invaluable.

PhoPhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 10:36 AM
RemoAZ
Stugots

Even if this doesn't happen, I hope the fact that they are exploring the deal is at least true. That would tell me they are ready to make a bold move to bring in a top line center and/or forward. Putting together a true, offensively gifted top line gives this team a real shot at a cup and makes them much more exciting to watch. I love Yandle and this might not be the right deal but knowing the team is looking hard at addressing our weakest link is exciting to me. It definitely makes the off season more interesting.

RemoAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 11:39 AM
BUX7PHX

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan View Post
This is really simple, guys. Yandle is by far the best offensive defenseman on this team. He might even be the most important player to the team's offense overall. OEL might be a better all-around defenseman, but Yandle's offense if much more developed right now, and it's not like he's a liability in his own end. Joe Corvo would be a massive, massive step down, and if Yandle isn't replaced at all, you're not just scoring fewer goals, but you're probably spending a lot more time in your own zone, which means more goals against. For such a defensively focused team, having a few guys like Yandle is invaluable.
Corvo has been a pretty consistent 35-40 point scorer in his career, an injury-filled 2009-10 season, and last year being the only exceptions. I am not certain where he is at defensively, though...

BUX7PHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 11:41 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUX7PHX View Post
Corvo has been a pretty consistent 35-40 point scorer in his career, an injury-filled 2009-10 season, and last year being the only exceptions. I am not certain where he is at defensively, though...
He's also a total *******.

This story...

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?id=1650545

Quote:
Corvo, 26, received a three-year suspended sentence Monday after pleading guilty in Boston to assaulting a woman in a restaurant last year when he was with the Manchester Monarchs of the AHL. He also was ordered to complete counseling and perform community service.

Prosecutors said Corvo grabbed a 34-year-old woman's buttocks last November. Restaurant staff told him to leave, but Corvo returned, punched the woman and then kicked her when she fell to the ground, prosecutors said.

The woman was treated for bruises and swelling on her face.
That's right Joe, smile for the mug shot. Be proud...

Plus every single stereotypical ****** bag tattoo every known to man...

That's right, nautical stars, tribal band, asian letters, and a ring around the belly button. WITH FROSTED TIPS!!!

...paints a picture of the biggest piece of ess to ever lace up skates...

Last edited by rt: 06-11-2012 at 11:48 AM.
rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 11:59 AM
BUX7PHX

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
He's also a total *******.

This story...

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?id=1650545

That's right Joe, smile for the mug shot. Be proud...

Plus every single stereotypical ****** bag tattoo every known to man...

That's right, nautical stars, tribal band, asian letters, and a ring around the belly button. WITH FROSTED TIPS!!!

...paints a picture of the biggest piece of ess to ever lace up skates...
Wow, I knew about the incident as a rookie, but the tattoos are definitely... yeah. Can't really think of an adjective outside of what has been presented already.

Old
06-11-2012, 12:19 PM
PhoPhan

Quote:
Defensively, he's one of the biggest liabilities in the league. There's a reason that, despite his solid offensive numbers, he keeps bouncing around the league, beyond just looking and acting like a total ******.

Old
06-11-2012, 02:15 PM
BUX7PHX

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan View Post
Defensively, he's one of the biggest liabilities in the league. There's a reason that, despite his solid offensive numbers, he keeps bouncing around the league, beyond just looking and acting like a total ******.
That's kind of what I wanted to know. I mean, I get that Yandle has the speed to get back and make up for his defensive liabilities, but if we can a d-man that provides 30-35 pts who may be a little better defensively than and at half the cost of Yandle, then that makes a trade very reasonable for a top 6 forward. Otherwise, it makes a deal tough, unless we have the ability to fill in the gaps with someone who is already in our system, which I think we may be closer to than some may think...

Old
06-11-2012, 02:27 PM
PhoPhan

Quote:
That's kind of what I wanted to know. I mean, I get that Yandle has the speed to get back and make up for his defensive liabilities, but if we can a d-man that provides 30-35 pts who may be a little better defensively than and at half the cost of Yandle, then that makes a trade very reasonable for a top 6 forward. Otherwise, it makes a deal tough, unless we have the ability to fill in the gaps with someone who is already in our system, which I think we may be closer to than some may think...
That's not going to come cheap, and while I agree some guys in the system are close, I don't want to count those chickens before they hatch.

Anyway, as has been pointed out, this team isn't weak at center. Wing is where they need help, which is good because a) wings come cheaper than centers and b) a wing who's very good on offense but just average on defense is more likely to see minutes under Tippett than a center with the same skill set.